Pres. Biden wants $15/hr min wage; Thanks but NOW its not enough

What you can't show is anything to prove your point. Show us the number you are arguing against so we can see if your argument holds water (it doesn't). It's easy to say "THAT NUMBER IS TOO HIGH!" when you don't quote an actual number.
My "business model" has been the same from when I was first hired to be a manager some forty years ago! The man that hired me explained it rather succinctly! He told me that my main job as a manager was to identify then reward good employees...and identify and then get rid of bad ones! I spent money on rewarding PROVEN performance...not on the hope that some new employee might work out!
Isn't that nice. "Identify and get rid of"

You are ADVOCATING high turnover. It IS part of the business model obviously. In fact you identify that as being your JOB...to facilitate that turnover

And oh yea...you failed to actually respond to the question regarding what number we are discussing
When did I ever advocate for high turnover? Part of hiring is due diligence. You check references. You conduct interviews. You try to weed out the failures BEFORE they become your problem! If you're doing the job correctly you end up with less turnover of GOOD employees which is what every company wants! I don't want the bad ones to stay. My good employees don't want the bad ones to stay! Getting rid of deadwood and rewarding good behavior is what builds employee loyalty. When bad employees are allowed to keep working (like in our Civil Service set up?) it hurts the entire organization!
LOL. You just admitted that your JOB is not to ensure that turnover is low but to facilitate turnover
No, I just told you how REAL managers hire REAL employees! Unlike your pretend company in my real ones we checked references...we did interviews and asked pertinent questions. Contrary to what you mistakenly believe...getting rid of bad employees doesn't "facilitate" turnover of good employees! Good employees want to feel like their efforts will be rewarded more than the efforts of bad employees. They're the ones that have to carry the slackers and screw ups.
Dude. Give it up. You already admitted that getting rid of employees you fucked up in hiring in the first place is your job.

If you were more careful about who you hired and then treated (and paid) them well...you wouldn't have a job yourself

I am not that familiar with East St. Louis, but I am very familiar with the tremendous city of Youngstown. It isn't only ESL that has reasonable real estate prices. BTW, Youngstown gets a lot of bad reports as well, but the city of my birth is pretty decent IMHO. I'd rather be there than NYC or LA.

I think you will find that in most of our state. We have a reasonable cost of living over here compared to many other places.

When did I ever advocate for high turnover? Part of hiring is due diligence. You check references. You conduct interviews. You try to weed out the failures BEFORE they become your problem! If you're doing the job correctly you end up with less turnover of GOOD employees which is what every company wants! I don't want the bad ones to stay. My good employees don't want the bad ones to stay! Getting rid of deadwood and rewarding good behavior is what builds employee loyalty. When bad employees are allowed to keep working (like in our Civil Service set up?) it hurts the entire organization!

Several companies I used to deal with only hired through temporary service. While pricey, temp services allow business to fluctuate according to business activity, but more importantly is it gives them the opportunity to tryout potential full-time employees for several months before hiring them. They monitor their ability to learn, their attendance, job performance, if they are willing to work overtime...... They claim that in the end, it saves them a lot of time and money.
I think that's a good strategy. I was in the nightclub business so it was a different animal. In the Hospitality Industry turnover is more common because your work force tends to be younger and more transient. It's a constant struggle to hire and train new employees to replace those that move on to other things. Especially these days.

If you want to eliminate jobs, this will do it.
Said every time there is a MW increase and it never happens
As a CPA for over 44 years, I respectfully disagree. Paying an employee $15.00 is only going to increase payroll costs and related payroll taxes. At a time when the economy is being held back by Dim governors and mayors, business owners can not afford it and will cut back on personnel. I've seen it many, many times in the real world. The textbook world of liberal stooges is fantasy.

Once again, Lesh...show us where a nationwide Minimum Wage with increases like you on the left are proposing has EVER been done in this country!
Do you know what numbers are? They're those funny looking things near the top of your keyboard.

Use em.

What you can't show is anything to prove your point. Show us the number you are arguing against so we can see if your argument holds water (it doesn't). It's easy to say "THAT NUMBER IS TOO HIGH!" when you don't quote an actual number.
My "business model" has been the same from when I was first hired to be a manager some forty years ago! The man that hired me explained it rather succinctly! He told me that my main job as a manager was to identify then reward good employees...and identify and then get rid of bad ones! I spent money on rewarding PROVEN performance...not on the hope that some new employee might work out!
Isn't that nice. "Identify and get rid of"

You are ADVOCATING high turnover. It IS part of the business model obviously. In fact you identify that as being your JOB...to facilitate that turnover

And oh yea...you failed to actually respond to the question regarding what number we are discussing
LOL. You just admitted that your JOB is not to ensure that turnover is low but to facilitate turnover
No, I just told you how REAL managers hire REAL employees! Unlike your pretend company in my real ones we checked references...we did interviews and asked pertinent questions. Contrary to what you mistakenly believe...getting rid of bad employees doesn't "facilitate" turnover of good employees! Good employees want to feel like their efforts will be rewarded more than the efforts of bad employees. They're the ones that have to carry the slackers and screw ups.
Dude. Give it up. You already admitted that getting rid of employees you fucked up in hiring in the first place is your job.

If you were more careful about who you hired and then treated (and paid) them well...you wouldn't have a job yourself
Over the years I've hired and trained literally tens of thousands of employees, Lesh. It's a skill in and of itself. If I hadn't been good at it I wouldn't have HAD that job!

Not true. While I've never had the experience hiring people, I do have to do research on potential tenants when they apply. You can check somebody up and down and still end up with a crappy tenant. I've rented to what most would consider the perfect tenant and they ended up being assholes costing me money, and I've rented to people who were in bankruptcy and ended up being my best and longest residing tenants. There is no criteria that guarantees a perfect tenant, just like there is no criteria that will guarantee an employer a good worker. It's really instinct.

Employers like landlords are legally limited to what they can tell another employer or landlord about the applicant, so you really don't find out much when it comes to references.

Nothing is ever enough for you parasitic commie shit biscuits.

Name calling isn’t necessary. Its not that I/we dont wanna work we just want a living wage. And “commies” really? Im definitely not a communist. America can and should do better

Generally those with underwater basket weaving degrees have scant understanding of economics. After all, they chose majors which ensured they never had to take any "hard courses."

Dollars, or whatever currency that is not pegged to physical goods, is fiat - that is simply a marker. A dollar has no intrinsic value, it's worth what those who trade agree that it's worth. Generally people at the moment agree that a dollar is worth 6 slices of bread, the whole loaf will cost $4. Or the dollar is worth a half gallon of gas in the free states, 1/10th of a gallon in California.

Labor has actual value. How much labor is required for a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas remains pretty stable, regardless of the number of dollars involve. Adding dollars does not and cannot change value, paying $6 an hour for unskilled labor versus $600 per hour only changes the number of dollars involved. Ultimately, it still comes down to "how many loaves of bread will you trade to have someone sweep a sidewalk for an hour?"

Fiat currency aids in barter, but it doesn't change the fact that barter is behind all markets. We trade our labor, our knowledge, and our talents for what we value. We decide whether the trade is fair.

You want to cheat the market, to be given more value than you offer, but the market will not be cheated, not for long.

You seek to offer your need in exchange for the goods that others produce. But your need and your foolishness have no value. Lopsided trades are the domain of cheats and criminals - the market will and must purge them, or the market will collapse. (See Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea as examples).

As a CPA for over 44 years, I respectfully disagree. Paying an employee $15.00 is only going to increase payroll costs and related payroll taxes. At a time when the economy is being held back by Dim governors and mayors, business owners can not afford it and will cut back on personnel. I've seen it many, many times in the real world. The textbook world of liberal stooges is fantasy.
Again...MW has been increased many times over the years and it never results in the job losses you people claim.

The fact that you use the pejorative "Dims" tells us that your objectivity id questionable...at best

Been reading that President Biden will make min wage $15/hour. Thanks Mr. President but that was enough in 2010. Not 2020. It needs to be $20/minimum. 40 hours/week after taxes thats like $2300 a month.

A 1 bedroom apt in my city is like $1200/month
Student loan payment $300
Power/cable/phone/water.....another $400
Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

I could go on but as you can see it rapidly is gone and we havent even gotten to healthcare, food, clothing, recreation

Mr President.....$20 an hour is the minimum

Why live in an apartment at all when he can buy a 2000 square foot homewith 2 1/2 baths and a double garage for 50k?

Do you know anything about East St.Louis? I would rather live in a pig pen! Less crime and it would smell better!

I am not that familiar with East St. Louis, but I am very familiar with the tremendous city of Youngstown. It isn't only ESL that has reasonable real estate prices. BTW, Youngstown gets a lot of bad reports as well, but the city of my birth is pretty decent IMHO. I'd rather be there than NYC or LA.

Do you remember the scene in National Lampoon's vacation where Clark falls asleep and they run off the interstate into the 'hood? That is East St. Louis! It is predominantly black, poor and crime-ridden. Their schools are some of the worst in the country, which I studied in grad school.

Been reading that President Biden will make min wage $15/hour. Thanks Mr. President but that was enough in 2010. Not 2020. It needs to be $20/minimum. 40 hours/week after taxes thats like $2300 a month.

A 1 bedroom apt in my city is like $1200/month
Student loan payment $300
Power/cable/phone/water.....another $400
Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

I could go on but as you can see it rapidly is gone and we havent even gotten to healthcare, food, clothing, recreation

Mr President.....$20 an hour is the minimum

Minimum wage need to be relative to the local economy but until then, you need to find and work another job or work two jobs
If minimum wage jobs can be easily automated, they should. It is what supply side economics should be about.
You do realize, don't you, that every job automated is one less available job for a worker.

To bad the factory that makes the machines that automated that task is probably located is Asia. But there will be maintenance jobs to keep the machines working.
We need skilled labor in our First World economy not minimum wage labor. A tariff on firms leaving merely for cheaper labor can help labor in our first world economy. Right wingers should not be socially allowed to compete for any "race to the bottom" merely for their private bottom line.

Kind of like shutting the barn after the horses have left. Both parties were in favor of the "free trade" zones.
No one is making them leave for cheap labor.

I think it's driven by profit, not necessarily anyone.

Not true. While I've never had the experience hiring people, I do have to do research on potential tenants when they apply. You can check somebody up and down and still end up with a crappy tenant. I've rented to what most would consider the perfect tenant and they ended up being assholes costing me money, and I've rented to people who were in bankruptcy and ended up being my best and longest residing tenants. There is no criteria that guarantees a perfect tenant, just like there is no criteria that will guarantee an employer a good worker. It's really instinct.

Employers like landlords are legally limited to what they can tell another employer or landlord about the applicant, so you really don't find out much when it comes to references.
You're spot on about what former employers can tell someone checking references. Companies run scared of "wrongful termination" lawsuits these days! Generally speaking the worst thing you'll hear from a former employer is that the employee would NOT be eligible for rehire! That says it all.

Again...MW has been increased many times over the years and it never results in the job losses you people claim.

The fact that you use the pejorative "Dims" tells us that your objectivity id questionable...at best
Oh dear I've upset you. Well "Dim's" is being kind to you developmentally disabled booger eating stooges. And again, in the real world, where you do not dwell, it does create job losses.

Don't have a valid response to a simple query...do you, Lesh?
I have suggested that you use actual numbers in your "simple query" what...5-10 times now?

Why is it that you aren't able to do that?

What MW increase are you referring to? Because you know I will find a comparable one that didn't result in what you predict?

Oh....

You're spot on about what former employers can tell someone checking references. Companies run scared of "wrongful termination" lawsuits these days! Generally speaking the worst thing you'll hear from a former employer is that the employee would NOT be eligible for rehire! That says it all.
Bingo.

Forum List

Back