Prescription drug prices have doubled in 7 years. Republicans will of course do jack shit about it

You're a fucking moron if you think that R&D is an expendable cost and advertising isn't.
You're a fucking moron if you think I said that R&D is an expendable coast and advertising isn't. I said all costs count, you proposed the inane idea that they don't need to recover their advertising costs

My estimate of manufacturing and R&D being about 20% of a pill cost is probably fairly accurate considering I have access to those costs in several industries. If the Europeans have negotiated a price of 50% of what we pay, there's still plenty of slop to allow full R&D and then some advertising, some profit and even some executive compensation - just not the exorbitant amounts that our broken system provides.
Industry stats are of dubious value. You just hate business and love government. The point is that Europe only allows them to capture their direct costs and a portion of their indirect costs, they don't allow them to capture the full cost. So prices are higher in the US because of that.

My point is clear, stop being a dumb ass
Profit is what's left over after all unavoidable costs are met. I think the pharmaceutical companies are at least smart enough to see that R&D is their future (then again, given the short term thinking I've seen in a variety of corporations, maybe I'm being too kind). Advertising is somewhat mutable and so is executive compensation although I'm sure if the feeding trough allows, these guys will get all they can. If there's not enough profit left over after whatever costs they deem unavoidable are met, they shouldn't sell to the Europeans.

You know that's not going to happen though. It's only because OUR system is so screwed up - in no small part because of their lobbying - that they can make a killing here. They're probably terrified that we might wake up someday.

Right, you have an anti-Corporate Marxist list of sweeping unsubstantiated allegations. And ridiculous assumptions like that cutting advertising won't have an affect on sales and that reducing executive compensation won't affect the quality of the management they can hire, so let's go ahead and fuck every company in the industry because you don't like them
I thought the threat of reduced R&D was what was supposed to keep everybody on board with being raped by the pharmaceutical companies. Now it's advertising and quality of management? Why don't you tell us that 10's of thousands of advertising jobs would be lost if they tightened their belts. Because it would be absurd. Honestly, who besides the advertisers would care? And as for the quality of management, it tops out at about 2x my salary. Beyond that, there's a strong correlation with self promoting douchebags. (Note that I've kept open the possibility of high level execs not being douchebags - it's just rare.)

I'll explain this in your native language, simpleton.

Advertising is done by companies to grow revenue

If you advertise less, you sell less

That means the R&D per pill goes up, not down

So that does what to the price of each pill?

LOL, what a dumb ass. How do you know nothing about business, I mean seriously? Drool, dar, why do companies advertise? I don't get it? Isn't that just spending money?
What you seem to be too stupid to understand is that ordinary people can't directly buy pharmaceuticals. They have to be prescribed by doctors who gain 100 times more information on a drug from trade publications than an ad would provide. And guess what, if a pharma company wanted to promote something new, trade advertisements are relatively cheap. Of course they'd have to keep the army of hot babes who flirt with the doctors up and running but I suspect that's fairly cheap compared with running national ads.

You're a fucking moron if you think that R&D is an expendable cost and advertising isn't.
You're a fucking moron if you think I said that R&D is an expendable coast and advertising isn't. I said all costs count, you proposed the inane idea that they don't need to recover their advertising costs

My estimate of manufacturing and R&D being about 20% of a pill cost is probably fairly accurate considering I have access to those costs in several industries. If the Europeans have negotiated a price of 50% of what we pay, there's still plenty of slop to allow full R&D and then some advertising, some profit and even some executive compensation - just not the exorbitant amounts that our broken system provides.
Industry stats are of dubious value. You just hate business and love government. The point is that Europe only allows them to capture their direct costs and a portion of their indirect costs, they don't allow them to capture the full cost. So prices are higher in the US because of that.

Profit is what's left over after all unavoidable costs are met. I think the pharmaceutical companies are at least smart enough to see that R&D is their future (then again, given the short term thinking I've seen in a variety of corporations, maybe I'm being too kind). Advertising is somewhat mutable and so is executive compensation although I'm sure if the feeding trough allows, these guys will get all they can. If there's not enough profit left over after whatever costs they deem unavoidable are met, they shouldn't sell to the Europeans.

You know that's not going to happen though. It's only because OUR system is so screwed up - in no small part because of their lobbying - that they can make a killing here. They're probably terrified that we might wake up someday.

Right, you have an anti-Corporate Marxist list of sweeping unsubstantiated allegations. And ridiculous assumptions like that cutting advertising won't have an affect on sales and that reducing executive compensation won't affect the quality of the management they can hire, so let's go ahead and fuck every company in the industry because you don't like them

The claim that R&D constitutes 13% of the price of a drug is leftwing propaganda. The true costs are much higher:

The Cost Of Creating A New Drug Now $5 Billion, Pushing Big Pharma To Change

These leftwing douche nozzles just pull numbers out of their ass. You can never take anything they say at face value.
So from your article, it looks like they spend $822 billion in 10 years and from another article, worldwide pharmaceutical sales are $3 trillion in 10 years. If true, R&D costs 27%. Production is cheap so that still leaves over $2 trillion in profits etc. And you're worried about the poor pharma companies?

The claim that R&D constitutes 13% of the price of a drug is leftwing propaganda. The true costs are much higher:

These leftwing douche nozzles just pull numbers out of their ass. You can never take anything they say at face value.
So from your article, it looks like they spend $822 billion in 10 years and from another article, worldwide pharmaceutical sales are $3 trillion in 10 years. If true, R&D costs 27%. Production is cheap so that still leaves over $2 trillion in profits etc. And you're worried about the poor pharma companies?

Where do you get this $822 billion figure? I don't see it anywhere in the article.

Where do you get this $822 billion figure? I don't see it anywhere in the article.
I imported their methodology figures into Excel and summed them.

Hey liar, I asked you to make a list of all the diseases the American medical industry has cured or eradicated since 1953. Show us some examples of the great strides the American medical industry has made in he past 63 years

Why do you care what drugs cost if you don't think they work?

What a dumb fucking question but I will answer it anyway just to make you look even more evil and pathetic.

Unlike you the Republican slime that you are, I actually give a shit about my country and its people. Your Republican ethic is "Hooray for me and fuck everybody else." Because you are a POS all you care about is your worthless self. You don't care that people are being ripped off and harmed by corporate gangsters. Please don't have kids.

It's not only the price gouging that bothers me it is also the harmful side effects of these drugs. You have have no problem with the fact that the medical industry is the leading cause of death in the US and it is also the biggest thief. Now do you see why it would be so easy and so satisfying to goad some piece of shit like you into physically attacking me so that I could be legally justified into beating you into a permanent coma?

I'm getting bored now. I'm not interested in defending Republicans. If that's all you're interested in doing, debating Republicans, then why don't you find one. They are all over the board, it's not hard
They are the reason it happened under a law passed by Bush and the GOP in 2003 that refuses to allow bundling. It's a legal way to scam America. I written and posted links many times. And every time, Republicans call it lies. It happened. It's real.

You don't want to know where he pulled that out of ...

Hey liar, I asked you to make a list of all the diseases the American medical industry has cured or eradicated since 1953. Show us some examples of the great strides the American medical industry has made in he past 63 years

What a dumb fucking question but I will answer it anyway just to make you look even more evil and pathetic.

Unlike you the Republican slime that you are, I actually give a shit about my country and its people. Your Republican ethic is "Hooray for me and fuck everybody else." Because you are a POS all you care about is your worthless self. You don't care that people are being ripped off and harmed by corporate gangsters. Please don't have kids.

It's not only the price gouging that bothers me it is also the harmful side effects of these drugs. You have have no problem with the fact that the medical industry is the leading cause of death in the US and it is also the biggest thief. Now do you see why it would be so easy and so satisfying to goad some piece of shit like you into physically attacking me so that I could be legally justified into beating you into a permanent coma?

I'm getting bored now. I'm not interested in defending Republicans. If that's all you're interested in doing, debating Republicans, then why don't you find one. They are all over the board, it's not hard
They are the reason it happened under a law passed by Bush and the GOP in 2003 that refuses to allow bundling. It's a legal way to scam America. I written and posted links many times. And every time, Republicans call it lies. It happened. It's real.

Republicans suck, don't they? Go ahead and argue with one. Then you can figure out which of you is dumb and which is dumber. I'm betting on you to be the latter

No, that's what you do.

No, that's what you do.

Nuh, uh, you are! Back to the playground for you!

You're only counting the successful drugs. You also have to add in the cost of all the failures.

You're only counting the successful drugs. You also have to add in the cost of all the failures.
Did you look at the list? It shows total expenditures vs successful drugs. IOW, that includes the failures.

And kaz, I'm sure you didn't bother to look at anything before agreeing with bripat. You two are a self congratulating tag team.

Republicans suck, don't they? Go ahead and argue with one. Then you can figure out which of you is dumb and which is dumber. I'm betting on you to be the latter

Political%20ideology.jpg

Just to set the record straight.

Yep, Medicare part D was a giveaway to big pharma.

Wages have remained flat for decades. The cost of living only goes up. Democrats address these issues - republcans don't.

Why does anyone bother with a party that only serves to coddle the rich? I mean seriously. At what point will you people get it? Only government legislation can fix these problems. Rather than accepting this obvious logic, you Rightwingers hold on to this sorry philosophy that Big Pharma and the rest of the private sector can do whatever it wants. It just boggles my mind you people will buy into whatever republcans in office will tell you. NONE of these republican candidates will address this issue. None of them. Get a goddamn clue.

AARP: Price hikes doubled average drug price over 7 years

7 years? What a coincidence that Obama has been President for 7 years and has done nothing about the doubling of Rx prices. Aren't you glad you brought this up?

Wages have remained flat for decades. The cost of living only goes up. Democrats address these issues - republcans don't.

Why does anyone bother with a party that only serves to coddle the rich? I mean seriously. At what point will you people get it? Only government legislation can fix these problems. Rather than accepting this obvious logic, you Rightwingers hold on to this sorry philosophy that Big Pharma and the rest of the private sector can do whatever it wants. It just boggles my mind you people will buy into whatever republcans in office will tell you. NONE of these republican candidates will address this issue. None of them. Get a goddamn clue.

AARP: Price hikes doubled average drug price over 7 years

Apparently Democrats don't address those issues effectively because for all of the last 7 years, a Democrat was in the White House and for most of them, Democrats controlled at least half of Congress.

Did you look at the list? It shows total expenditures vs successful drugs. IOW, that includes the failures.

And kaz, I'm sure you didn't bother to look at anything before agreeing with bripat. You two are a self congratulating tag team.

I agreed with him you are way under-counting R&D, he's right. All of this is irrelevant to the discussion. You want to send the government in to give you other people's money, yet again. They did the R&D, they created the benefit, you want government to use force to give it to you for the price you want to pay. It's not your drug, it's theirs. They paid for it. Now you want it for an artificially low price

Political%20ideology.jpg

Wow, a graph. That must be right then

I agreed with him you are way under-counting R&D, he's right. All of this is irrelevant to the discussion. You want to send the government in to give you other people's money, yet again. They did the R&D, they created the benefit, you want government to use force to give it to you for the price you want to pay. It's not your drug, it's theirs. They paid for it. Now you want it for an artificially low price
Yes, everything that makes you look bad is irrelevant to this discussion.

Political%20ideology.jpg

Wow, a graph. That must be right then
There comes a time in nearly every argument when a liberal tries to claim that he's smarter than everyone else. It's usually when he realizes that he's standing at the bottom of a hole and he's still digging. IOW, if you feel like you have to keep telling people you're smarter than they are, you're probably not.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Something Republicans did when they held both houses and the presidency that can't be denied because it's so well documented is pointed out and you call the person pointing out that fact "dumb"? What does that make you?

Forum List

Back