President declares: Every gun that is made, every warship launched is a theft from the hungry

They had one smaller than Germany's, and that was the problem.

So it really doesn't apply to us did it?
Unless we send those poor people to fight our wars for us

That has always worked in the past
If we had universal military conscription, with no BS educational deferments, we wouldn't be going to war all the time, like we do now. People are considerably less apt to commit themselves when the possibility exist of having to actually sacrifice something.

You mean like Vietnam and Korea?

How many wars since we ended the draft? Can you count that high?
How many wars before we ended the draft?

Your claim that the draft would end wars is obvious bullshit.

That's not what I said. Why do you have to lie all the time?

Allow me to refresh your memory:

"If we had universal military conscription, with no BS educational deferments, we wouldn't be going to war all the time, like we do now."

No, but you are the one spouting off about numbers, so had to correct your nonsense....

There is much, much more to the size of a military than the number of bodies

Number of ships, bases, aircraft, nukes, tanks.......and more importantly, their lethality

Even more important than that is the way it's used. I wonder what percentage of our military budget is spent defending the nation, rather than its "interests"?

The US is defended by two huge oceans and friendly neighbors to our north and south. We also have the capability to press a button and nuke anyone who dares to threaten us

Maybe 10% of our military budget is needed to defend the continental US. The rest is used to project our power around the globe
Incorrect. You keep forgetting about veterans. Why? Over a third of the military budget is for veterans benefits.

True

And most of those veterans are veterans of foreign engagements. Over time, they will die out

I'm not saying we do not need foreign engagements but acknowledging that they are not directly engaged in protecting continental US

We spend 43 cents out of every military dollar in the world. Most of that goes to acting as the worlds policeman

You shouldn't be too worried about it. When the rest of the world decides it doesn't need to tie the value of it's money to the US dollar any more, it's game over. The last shreds of US economic dominance will have been destroyed, and we will no longer be the world's policemen, because we won't even be able to police ourselves.

So it really doesn't apply to us did it?
If we had universal military conscription, with no BS educational deferments, we wouldn't be going to war all the time, like we do now. People are considerably less apt to commit themselves when the possibility exist of having to actually sacrifice something.

"If we had universal military conscription, with no BS educational deferments, we wouldn't be going to war all the time, like we do now."
And? Which part confuses you?

Are you still in the 19th century in thinking the number of soldiers determines how strong your force is?

No, but you are the one spouting off about numbers, so had to correct your nonsense....

Number of ships, bases, aircraft, nukes, tanks.......and more importantly, their lethality

Even more important than that is the way it's used. I wonder what percentage of our military budget is spent defending the nation, rather than its "interests"?

The US is defended by two huge oceans and friendly neighbors to our north and south. We also have the capability to press a button and nuke anyone who dares to threaten us

Maybe 10% of our military budget is needed to defend the continental US. The rest is used to project our power around the globe

Power projection is a form of defense.

Are you still in the 19th century in thinking the number of soldiers determines how strong your force is?

Power projection is a form of defense.

If we were in a war and couldn't project power, that would have to mean that we'd already lost the war.

I'm confused about the part where it has any connection to reality.

I'm confused about the part where it has any connection to reality.
If you didn't lie all the time you wouldn't be so confused.

the number of bodies is directly related to the number of planes, ships etc.

Related yes, but not directly

Our military force has gotten smaller and smaller because of enhancements in technology....but it has become more lethal
Another nearly meaningless equation. As our potential enemies improve their technology, they can only be countered with better technology or greater numbers. The technology gap is rapidly disappearing. The Russians and Chinese are reportedly well on their way to developing stealth detection technology, which means the hundreds of billions of dollars we've spent on stealth aircraft and ships will be pointless in just a few years.

Yup

And we have ten supercarrier task forces and they have none
We have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined
We have alliances with Germany, France, England, Japan and South Korea and they don't
The development of radar did not make planes obsolete

Whose they? All those alliances you mention work one way only, if our allies are attacked we will defend them. Allied forces contribute nothing to our defense.

They are China and Russia, the only countries capable of engaging us in serious military conflict

Allied forces make us stronger. Did you miss out on WWII?

Incorrect. You keep forgetting about veterans. Why? Over a third of the military budget is for veterans benefits.

True

And most of those veterans are veterans of foreign engagements. Over time, they will die out

I'm not saying we do not need foreign engagements but acknowledging that they are not directly engaged in protecting continental US

We spend 43 cents out of every military dollar in the world. Most of that goes to acting as the worlds policeman
Link? I would have assumed that most veterans are not combat veterans. Our military gets pensions and health care befits whether or not they are combat veterans, correct?

Where did I say combat veterans?

I've worked with the military for over 35 years. I hardly remember any that were not deployed overseas at some point in their career

the number of bodies is directly related to the number of planes, ships etc.

Our military force has gotten smaller and smaller because of enhancements in technology....but it has become more lethal
Another nearly meaningless equation. As our potential enemies improve their technology, they can only be countered with better technology or greater numbers. The technology gap is rapidly disappearing. The Russians and Chinese are reportedly well on their way to developing stealth detection technology, which means the hundreds of billions of dollars we've spent on stealth aircraft and ships will be pointless in just a few years.

Yup

We have alliances with Germany, France, England, Japan and South Korea and they don't

Whose they? All those alliances you mention work one way only, if our allies are attacked we will defend them. Allied forces contribute nothing to our defense.

They are China and Russia, the only countries capable of engaging us in serious military conflict

Maybe you just hadn't noticed, but things change, and faster all the time. How would you assess US military and economic power relative to the rest of the world? Ain't what it used to be, is it.

True

Link? I would have assumed that most veterans are not combat veterans. Our military gets pensions and health care befits whether or not they are combat veterans, correct?

Where did I say combat veterans?

I've worked with the military for over 35 years. I hardly remember any that were not deployed overseas at some point in their career
35 years? What does "veterans of foreign engagements" mean then?

Yup

Maybe you just hadn't noticed, but things change, and faster all the time. How would you assess US military and economic power relative to the rest of the world? Ain't what it used to be, is it.
We are more powerful than at any time in our history and have a lower threat than we have had in 85 years

President declares: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched is a theft from the hungry"

The most foolish of the endless spewage of foolishness it has spewed.

LOL! There's just no means for that idiocy to have been uttered by a person with ANY KINSHIP to the Principles that define America.

President declares: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched is a theft from the hungry"

LOL! There's just no means for that idiocy to have been uttered by a person with ANY KINSHIP to the Principles that define America.

He was a West Point Graduate and leader of the allied forces at D Day

I think his principles are beyond reproach

This passage just shows that Ike didn't know much about economics or how things are made....every gun made is someones paycheck which feeds their families and the people they pay for the goods they need........

Ike...won the war...not very wise.......

That is a fallacy

The money spent on weapons is wasted. Those weapons provide no value to a society. Making weapons as "make work" to create jobs does little for society when you can use the same money to "make work" for roads, schools, hospitals....

Oh my God.... you can't be serious.

This passage just shows that Ike didn't know much about economics or how things are made....every gun made is someones paycheck which feeds their families and the people they pay for the goods they need........

Ike...won the war...not very wise.......

That is a fallacy

The money spent on weapons is wasted. Those weapons provide no value to a society. Making weapons as "make work" to create jobs does little for society when you can use the same money to "make work" for roads, schools, hospitals....

Oh my God.... you can't be serious.

Make a point and we can discuss. I say you are in over your head

He was a West Point Graduate and leader of the allied forces at D Day

I think his principles are beyond reproach

There's no principle in that mess. The BEST that can be assigned to it, is that it is an intellectually unsound fallacious appeal, built upon vacuous emotion.

Every gun made is fed numerous people... and every warship made fed THOUSANDS of people.

Now THAT is a fact. Thus the position represents idiocy on parade.

Forum List

Back