🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

President George washington- good or bad?

Complicated.
Not so much if you consider context. We're all products of our environment to some extent. I think he was obviously a worthy enough human being despite his ignorance due to having lived hundreds of years ago.

Well the context is that he co authored a founding document that said all men were created equal. Wouldn't owning slaves be a tad bit hypocritical all by itself let alone making sure slaves were punished when they tried to escape?
At that time wasn't owning slaves kind of just what you did if you were a well-to-do person? You're right that it was a glaring hypocrisy. That's why we fixed that. I don't think he was a bad person. I also don't idolize him like some people do though. I think he was a man of note. I respect him. That's all.

At that time wasn't owning slaves kind of just what you did if you were a well-to-do person?
No thats not just what you did as a well to do person. At least 4 of the first 12 presidents didnt own slaves. "We" fixed that doesnt address the fact that Washington owned slaves and didnt free them until he was dead.

At least 4 of the first 12 presidents didnt own slaves.
Well I didn't know that. I also don't know what he was like in his personal life. The truth is my ignorance of Washington's true character is difficult to quantify. Same goes for you though in my opinion. That's why I'm kinda neutral about it. I think he was just a man, though one of historical significance.

I also can't say for sure that I wouldn't have bought slaves to help with my giant house and property had I been born in that time period, though I think I would have been kind to them and would have ensured that their lives were comfortable.

The truth is my ignorance of Washington's true character is difficult to quantify. Same goes for you though in my opinion.
My view is that anyone with the ability to co author a founding document that clearly stated all men were equal yet hypocritically enslaved other people until his death is a bad person. It wasnt like he was some backwoods hick that didnt know any better. I dont have to know someone that had a sex slave tied up under his bed personally to consider them a bad person.

It wasnt like he was some backwoods hick that didnt know any better.
But it is kind of like that. He lived hundreds of years ago. His ignorance was profound because of the limitations created by the time in which he was born.

But it is kind of like that. He lived hundreds of years ago. His ignorance was profound because of the limitations created by the time in which he was born.
Disagree. You cant claim all men are created equal and then demonstrate you believed nothing of the sort by owning slaves until it was no longer convenient for you (death). The 2 ideas are diametrically opposed. Take Benjamin Franklin for example. He freed his slaves a couple of years after the constitution was written demonstrating he was a man of honor and then became an abolitionist.

Forum List

Back