Press #1 For English?

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
Why the hell did we ever allow that? Given that our new President and Homeland Security chief are tossing out the invaders in record numbers, how about we make it even more difficult for those still here to get by? I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. Go to Mehico and see how many signs you see in English or Frog.....hint: outside the resorts, zero. Why? Because they don't want us there. Let border-jumpers Pedro and Rosita figure out what the hell is going on here in English.. or get out. Who's with me?
huh_zps297f809f.png

840b0f08ca4887c080f4f08f643a52c5_illegal-invaders-illegal-mexican-memes_554-488.jpeg

• Banned
Why the hell did we ever allow that? ... I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. ...

"Allow"? Who the fuck is not going to "allow" private businesses to pander to whatever customer base they choose?

"customer base"? Who the fuck cares about people who are broke and don't belong here?

Why the hell did we ever allow that? Given that our new President and Homeland Security chief are tossing out the invaders in record numbers, how about we make it even more difficult for those still here to get by? I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. Go to Mehico and see how many signs you see in English or Frog.....hint: outside the resorts, zero. Why? Because they don't want us there. Let border-jumpers Pedro and Rosita figure out what the hell is going on here in English.. or get out. Who's with me?
Even if you discount Mexico, Puerto Rico is American and its majority language is Spanish. Our biggest trading partner is Canada, where "Frog" is an official language. I think you and those that are with you should STFU and quit trying to sabotage the economy.

For wherever this discussion is meant to go, the fact is that the U.S. does not have an official language. As a practical matter, one has to have a very basic facility with American English, but actually speaking it well, or at all, is not formally required. (Reading posts on USMB is all one needs to see that is so.)

Businesses are well served to attempt to offer Spanish speakers a convenient mode of access for purchasing their goods and services. According to the Census Bureau, some 41M native Spanish speakers live in the U.S. If a business' choice is to communicate in Spanish or not earn revenue from Spanish speakers because they don't understand English well enough to exchange resources with an English-only business, offering prompts in Spanish is likely worth it. That said, there are plenty of businesses that don't offer bilingual telephone prompts. My doctor's practice is one such example. My firm also doesn't proactively offer non-English, but if we are approached by a potential client who has poor command of English, we'll find a way to communicate with them in their language.

As for major governmental writings that one daily encounters, I can't think of any that I've come by and that are written bilingually, though I know there are some. The sign below is from Port Angeles, WA.

port-angeles-street-signs.jpg

Maybe pressing 1 requires more strength than some of these whiners can muster.

huh_zps297f809f.png

840b0f08ca4887c080f4f08f643a52c5_illegal-invaders-illegal-mexican-memes_554-488.jpeg

What's the official language of the USA?

For wherever this discussion is meant to go, the fact is that the U.S. does not have an official language. As a practical matter, one has to have a very basic facility with American English, but actually speaking it well, or at all, is not formally required. (Reading posts on USMB is all one needs to see that is so.)

Businesses are well served to attempt to offer Spanish speakers a convenient mode of access for purchasing their goods and services. According to the Census Bureau, some 41M native Spanish speakers live in the U.S. If a business' choice is to communicate in Spanish or not earn revenue from Spanish speakers because they don't understand English well enough to exchange resources with an English-only business, offering prompts in Spanish is likely worth it. That said, there are plenty of businesses that don't offer bilingual telephone prompts. My doctor's practice is one such example. My firm also doesn't proactively offer non-English, but if we are approached by a potential client who has poor command of English, we'll find a way to communicate with them in their language.

As for major governmental writings that one daily encounters, I can't think of any that I've come by and that are written bilingually, though I know there are some. The sign below is from Port Angeles, WA.

You think you're helping here?

huh_zps297f809f.png

What's the official language of the USA?
English, you obviously don't speak it.

huh_zps297f809f.png

Why such anger? Did one of them take your job?

Facts and reality always help.

Facts and reality always help.
What facts would that be?

Forum List

Back