Private Gun Sales.

I'm curious how many people buy or sell guns from or to a person they don't know.

I have never bought or sold a gun in a private sale. I don't want to buy a gun from someone only to find out it's a piece of junk and I don't want to buy any guns that may have been used in a crime so I only buy from licensed dealers.

I don't want to sell a gun to a person I don't know who may not be responsible or may commit crimes with a gun.
Collectors know what to look for in a used gun to avoid buying junk.

I’ve made one private purchase, a Brno Model 1.

The rest of my collection was obtained using my collector’s license.

whats a collectors license and what does it do for you??

A license to collect Curios, and Relics, allows you to purchase any weapon over 50 years old, and some more modern weapons, such as my G Series FN-FAL, and have them shipped to your home.

I'm curious how many people buy or sell guns from or to a person they don't know.

I have never bought or sold a gun in a private sale. I don't want to buy a gun from someone only to find out it's a piece of junk and I don't want to buy any guns that may have been used in a crime so I only buy from licensed dealers.

I don't want to sell a gun to a person I don't know who may not be responsible or may commit crimes with a gun.
I asked a licenced FFL I hadn't purchaced from before what kind of warranty he offered ... He said "A Taillight Warranty"...as in, when your taillights disappear from view, so does the warranty.

I buy from private individuals, FFLs and online gun stores.

Never had an issue.

Selling is a different story...

I will only sell to unknown individual with a Missouri CCW. Otherwise I'll just sell or trade with folks I know or my local FFL.

I oppose banning private sales.

A ban of private sales is a de facto registration scheme. The first step to confiscation.

Do you oppose background checks for private sales?

Yes, for several reasons.
One is that they then let the government know what you have.
It also costs money.
The government won't let just anyone do a background checks, so you have to go through and pay an FFL.
Background check are pointless since any criminal will just get their weapons illegally.
Federal background check laws are specifically illegal according to the constitution.

The idea of turning the whole country into a supervised institution is insane.
What a normal society does instead is put only dangerous people into supervised institutions.
So you don't care if you sell a gun to a guy who uses it to murder someone or is felon or if you buy a possibly stolen gun that some criminal is selling you?

I think the $25 bucks an FFL charges is worth it for my own peace of mind

No one intent on murder is ever going to be effected by a gun law, so there is no reason not to sell to them.
Felons can not legally be prevented from the right of self defense.
Creating a 2nd tier of reduced rights for felons is illegal.
Stolen guns get sold to felons who are wiling to pay more for them, so there is risk of buying a stolen one.

I disagree as regards felons. Felons have proven that they have no regard for the Rights of others so I have no problem limiting theirs.

you arent the god that gives and takes our rights,, but thanks for your opinion,,

I agree, but felons are proven to not care about MY Rights, so why should I care about theirs?

I asked a licenced FFL I hadn't purchaced from before what kind of warranty he offered ... He said "A Taillight Warranty"...as in, when your taillights disappear from view, so does the warranty.

Never had an issue.

I will only sell to unknown individual with a Missouri CCW. Otherwise I'll just sell or trade with folks I know or my local FFL.

A ban of private sales is a de facto registration scheme. The first step to confiscation.

It also costs money.
The government won't let just anyone do a background checks, so you have to go through and pay an FFL.
Background check are pointless since any criminal will just get their weapons illegally.
Federal background check laws are specifically illegal according to the constitution.

What a normal society does instead is put only dangerous people into supervised institutions.
Nonsense.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

So you don't care if you sell a gun to a guy who uses it to murder someone or is felon or if you buy a possibly stolen gun that some criminal is selling you?

No one intent on murder is ever going to be effected by a gun law, so there is no reason not to sell to them.
Stolen guns get sold to felons who are wiling to pay more for them, so there is risk of buying a stolen one.

I disagree as regards felons. Felons have proven that they have no regard for the Rights of others so I have no problem limiting theirs.

you arent the god that gives and takes our rights,, but thanks for your opinion,,

I agree, but felons are proven to not care about MY Rights, so why should I care about theirs?

that depends on the felony theyre being accused of,, with all the laws on the books some say you commit several a day and dont even know it,, and have nothing to do with other people,,

Does this mean you support requiring unlicensed dealers at gun shows to run background checks providing a serial number on the weapon?

It means I think that you should know whether or not the guy you are selling a gun to is legally eligible to own it. I don't care what kind of gun it is.

And how is that determined unless a thorough background check is conducted?

That's kind of a stupid question isn't it?

If I was going to sell a gun to a person I didn't know I would do it through an FFL.

I don't want to be the guy that sold a person planning to commit murder a gun. And I certainly don't want to unknowingly purchase a stolen gun.

Which again is why I don't ever buy guns from anyone but a licensed dealer and why I don't sell guns to people in private sales.

You never answered my original question -
Do you support unlicensed dealers selling guns to any jackass, kook or criminal at guns shows without a BG check? :confused-84:
(Quite legal in around half the states at present)

Never seen a gun show that did not require background checks for all transfers.
The claim there is a gun show or internet loop hole, is totally untrue in my experience.
Fake hype.
Your experience is clearly limited.

Intrastate firearm sales between state residents happen all the time, absent a background check, at gun shows, and are perfectly legal.

Only FFLs selling at a gun show must conduct a background check – private sellers, not.

There’s nothing ‘fake’ about it.

Never had an issue.

I do.
I oppose them for all firearm purchases.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

If a guy buys my old pickup, gives it to his kid for a graduation present, and then the kid drives drunk and kills someone, just how personally responsible for all that am I supposed to feel?

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

it violates the 2nd A,,,

I have no problem with felons and the adjudicated mentally ill not being allowed to have firearms.
I do.

If they are considered safe enough to walk loose in our society, then they should be able to do anything anyone else can.

I don't believe in caste systems.

(And I also know who is going to make sure they're in charge of the "adjudicating", and guess what? All sorts of badthink is gonna get you labelled crazy. Be careful what you wish for...)

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

I don't have to care about felon's rights, to care that the government feels like it can strip a designated group people of their rights....... today it's felons, tomorrow it might be "white supremacists".
:confused:

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

that depends on the felony theyre being accused of,, with all the laws on the books some say you commit several a day and dont even know it,, and have nothing to do with other people,,

Isn't Tommy Chong a felon?

And Tim Allen?

Lot's of people get a felony hung on them in this country.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

Isn't Tommy Chong a felon?

And Tim Allen?

Lot's of people get a felony hung on them in this country.

those are the worst kind,, they had the nerve to think their bodies belonged to them,,

Btw, if I had a gun that was used in a crime to dispose of, and I for some reason didn't want to strip it down and scatter the parts in various bodies of water all over the state, I'd just take it to Mexico and sell it. Or even make a friend by giving it as a gift.

I have been a party to scores of private sales over the decades.

Most of the time I have bough or sold to people I know.

However, occasionally I have bought from strangers and sold to strangers.

Whenever I sold I had them show me a driver's license to make sure they were in state and I asked them if they were prohibited from buying firearms.

I have also declined to sell to somebody that I suspected was not a responsibly firearms owner.

Does this mean you support requiring unlicensed dealers at gun shows to run background checks providing a serial number on the weapon?

It means I think that you should know whether or not the guy you are selling a gun to is legally eligible to own it. I don't care what kind of gun it is.

And how is that determined unless a thorough background check is conducted?

That's kind of a stupid question isn't it?

If I was going to sell a gun to a person I didn't know I would do it through an FFL.

I don't want to be the guy that sold a person planning to commit murder a gun. And I certainly don't want to unknowingly purchase a stolen gun.

Which again is why I don't ever buy guns from anyone but a licensed dealer and why I don't sell guns to people in private sales.

You never answered my original question -
Do you support unlicensed dealers selling guns to any jackass, kook or criminal at guns shows without a BG check? :confused-84:
(Quite legal in around half the states at present)

Never seen a gun show that did not require background checks for all transfers.
The claim there is a gun show or internet loop hole, is totally untrue in my experience.
Fake hype.
only if youre a dealer,, private sales dont require a background check,,, in missouri,,

I did not say anything about the state.
The state is irrelevant.
What I said is that all the gun shows I have been to in any state, has always been in a fair ground, National Guard Armory, convention center, etc., and every single one of those locations required every single vendor to do background checks on any gun purchase.
With internet, all purchases also have to go through an FFL because no one will take a firearm shipping order any other way. There is no way to ship a firearm directly to anyone but an FFL.

Never heard of anyone being able to ever buy without a background check, except from local want-ads in the newspaper.
thats never been the case in missouri,, only dealers are required to run the check,, a private seller does not and there are as many private seller booths as dealers,,

What gun shows allow people to sell without background checks?
If that is true, I may visit one.
But I have gone to gunshows in TX, NM, CA, UT,NV, OR, WA, IL, OH, WI, etc., and every single site always demanded all sale got checked, or the vendor was kicked out.
Again, the state has nothing to do with it.
I am referring to the owner of the building the gun show is renting from, who demands it.

every one I've been to in missouri,, cant speak about other states,,,

and I've been to a lot of them,,

and the property owner has nothing to do with it,, the law is the law,,,

No, the property owner does matter.
If the property owner demands background check are a condition of being able to rent a table, then everyone who rents a table has to do the background check.
And so far, all gun shows I have been to have been at government buildings, and they have all required background checks. Such as National Guard armories, state fair grounds, convention centers, park pavilions, etc.

The only good part is that when the property owner gets involved, he arranges for the background checks to be free.

Free. If someone bought a firearm from my shop/inventory, transfer was always free. Unless a special order firearm, then $25.

Remember firearm sales/business are federal, not state or property and one must be fed licensed. "one must be licensed to be engaged in the business of selling firearms" ATF doesn't state "how many" is "engaged in the business" They can get you on one if they wish. Yes gunshow loophole, wear your gun walking around, do a private sale in the lot happens.

Bluesman mentioned an FFL will charge$25 for a private transfer and that makes him and others feel better. One could do this now and ever since Brady went into effect. Maine tried to get all us FFL to get on a dealer list so they could refer private transfer people to us, we were allowed to charge $25. Makes you feel better, do it. Don't like it, don't. It's not law, yet.

When/if private sales require a background check, what percentage do you think will comply? Or just sell and shut up.

Never doubt there are at least 2 undercover BATF at every show. They watch everything, they also try to entrap people, (that's part of their game and quota system) licensed dealers too. If a venue allows a personal table and the unlicensed person is selling firearms,,, that person will go down, the venue will likely never be able to hold a gunshow again for allowing it. Private booths are fine, and they can sell anything but a firearm or get a free room with Bubba at club fed.

whats a collectors license and what does it do for you??

C&R, 03ffl. Curio and relic collector. One cannot be engaged in the business of selling but you can sell part of your collection "to improve your collection"

Do for you? Any firearm over 50 years old (or certain conflicts) is a curio and relic. Buy it with your 03 and have it shipped to your door. $30 for 3 years. No ATF check at your home, no yearly ATF checks. It's a great license if one collects certain firearms.

That’s not ‘registration,’ de facto or otherwise.

Where do you think all the info on a 4473 goes after FBI says "proceed" TO THE ATF. ALL DETAILS in their data base.

A dealer can keep 2 inventories, private and "inventory for sale" Must be separated or tagged differently. They have no control over your legal private firearms nor can they copy your log on them. One ATF check I went to grab a coke, came right back the agent was photographing all my private logs. Gee, "not for a registry of course, there isn't one" (bullshit). Then WHY.

I just got one from a private individual. And , it ain't got no serial number.
If you're in the U.S., you are committing a felony in most states :( Cops - AND judges - tend to frown on that situation.
I've bought and sold to guys I did not know well. I kept the bill of sale and insisted on seeing their driver's license to confirm the name on the BoS. It isn't the business of anyone in government to restrict a citizen's right to commerce. If the 2 bills the Dems are pushing now make it to Biden's desk, it will create millions of citizens who will become felons overnight. Not even the dimmest and most hateful Marxists in DC actually believe they can confiscate all the guns.
What they want is to spread fear and have a legal tool to silence opposition. The message will get out quickly that if you say anything online they don't like, expect a knock at the door. I seem to recall one such Stasi-member in training right here. A signature exhorting people to drop a dime on anyone they don't like. That kind is also coward trash who'd NEVER challenge a man to his face.
Firearms did not have serial numbers on them until after 1968

I don’t sell many of my firearms but when I do I require the buyer have a valid Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. That way I know he has had a background check and some safety training with firearms. Plus people who have a concealed weapons permit rarely commit violent crimes.

Never had an issue.

It also costs money.

Nonsense.

As a pseudo intellectual your an expert at posting nonsense. So either shut up, or make post that deals with what he said.

YOUR opinion, is shit.

I just got one from a private individual. And , it ain't got no serial number.
If you're in the U.S., you are committing a felony in most states :( Cops - AND judges - tend to frown on that situation.
I've bought and sold to guys I did not know well. I kept the bill of sale and insisted on seeing their driver's license to confirm the name on the BoS. It isn't the business of anyone in government to restrict a citizen's right to commerce. If the 2 bills the Dems are pushing now make it to Biden's desk, it will create millions of citizens who will become felons overnight. Not even the dimmest and most hateful Marxists in DC actually believe they can confiscate all the guns.
What they want is to spread fear and have a legal tool to silence opposition. The message will get out quickly that if you say anything online they don't like, expect a knock at the door. I seem to recall one such Stasi-member in training right here. A signature exhorting people to drop a dime on anyone they don't like. That kind is also coward trash who'd NEVER challenge a man to his face.
Firearms did not have serial numbers on them until after 1968

Not true. Most firearms have had serial numbers from the beginning. After 1968 they were required on all production firearms.

Forum List

Back