Professor threatens students for use of the wrong words

It's all about control for them. If they can control the words, they can control the conversation.

And notice how they pretend that this is some bizarre, isolated incident.

They'll be dishonest on this, because they have much to protect.
The only fucking liar here is you. You conflate a requirement that discussions in a classroom be respectful with examples of schools, on rare and isolated occasions, trying to limit speech outside of a classroom or trying to punish different opinions in a classroom. This involves neither. No opinions are punished. There is a difference between a student punished for telling a teacher "You are fucking wrong" and one punished for telling a teacher, "you are wrong."

Keep trying to hide the fact that banning words usually leads to banning ideas, and that one can trust this obviously flaming progressive professor to be fair with ideas other than her own.

Your side has shown i cannot be trusted to be fair when it comes to ideas you don't like, so kindly go sit on it and rotate.
So, no words should be banned? Fuck, ****, cocksucker, ******, ****, ****, etc. are all appropriate to be used in a classroom. Otherwise, we have lost our freedom. That is your position? That no college professor can require that students in his or her class treat one another respectfully?

If part of the discussion, why ban the words? By banning those words you wouldn't be able to read some source material.

How does one discuss how bad the word n_i_g_g_e_r is without being able to reference the word, or even discuss about it?
Discuss it with the prof, Marty, because you are simply whining.

It's called having an opinion on a message board, farkey.

It is not suppression of debate. This is a classroom. Kids are there three hours a week for 12 weeks. They are permitted to debate and disagree with every word the professor says, but have to do without resorting to the intellectually lazy practice of using words that are offensive to some. Why can't you discuss a transgender person without using the derogatory term, "tranny"? Why can't you discuss immigrants without referring to them as "illegal.'? Those are rhetorical questions. We know the answer. YOU need to make others aware of your judgment of them; that you think they are lesser than you in some way. Only way losers like you pump up your own view of yourself; by putting down others.

words mean things. an illegal alien is an illegal alien. You may have a smidge of a point with tranny, but all that is is a shortening of transexual.

You first cleanse speech, then you go right on to ideas. Don't try to deny that is the game, your side is way too predictable.

Your side seems to get their feewings hurt way to easily by words. Maybe society is too rough for you, I suggest becoming a hermit.
It's all about control for them. If they can control the words, they can control the conversation.

The only fucking liar here is you. You conflate a requirement that discussions in a classroom be respectful with examples of schools, on rare and isolated occasions, trying to limit speech outside of a classroom or trying to punish different opinions in a classroom. This involves neither. No opinions are punished. There is a difference between a student punished for telling a teacher "You are fucking wrong" and one punished for telling a teacher, "you are wrong."

Keep trying to hide the fact that banning words usually leads to banning ideas, and that one can trust this obviously flaming progressive professor to be fair with ideas other than her own.

Your side has shown i cannot be trusted to be fair when it comes to ideas you don't like, so kindly go sit on it and rotate.

Examples please.

Also...no words are being banned.

When you penalize someone's grades based on words used, that's banning.

Yes, Marty, you don't get it.

You are not in charge.

Hard for you, i know.

My brother in law's two nieces, who are adopted Asian twins, were told they could NOT take the calculus they wanted to take, and instead had to take a DIVERSITY course.

We need to shut our universities and throw the instructors out on the street.

More of the Syllabus to put the OP into focus.

Course Description
This class will look the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in film and media, and the social, political, economic, and cultural practices impact of these mediums. We will explore some of the complexities of these identities through the course texts, selected articles, group discussions, lectures, and film with attention to media and popular culture.

Using classic and contemporary films, as well as sample content from television and the internet, we will explore the boundaries, stipulations, and expectations which shape cultural expectations of sex, gender identity and expression, sexuality, and sexual orientation.

Learning Outcomes By the end of this semester, you should have the skills to:  Understand core concepts of: race, class, gender, sex, gender identity, sexuality, and sexual orientation in relation to social, political, economic, and cultural norms and practices.

 Have the ability to recognize these concepts in film, media, television, and online and identify the complications of these representations.

 Identify areas of systemic and institutionalized racism, prejudice, misogyny, classism, sexism, and discriminatory practices in the casting, production, distribution, and reception of various media samples, and make connections to your personal experiences.

 Recognize the intersectionality of race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and ability in actors, their roles, and their on- & off-screen personas.

 Participate in discussions in a thoughtful and academic manner, with understanding of critical race theory, feminist, anti-racist, and allied social discourse.

 Engage in discussion surrounding contemporary political movements and trends in popular culture and social discourse which contribute to the systemic issues discussed in class.

 Distinguish and dismantle stereotypes, archetypes, assumptions, clichés, and widespread beliefs surrounding race, class, sexuality, gender, and identity.

Oh look, lying sack is still an irrelevant idiot.

Back on ignore you go.

My point has been for six years to out the Martys and koshergrls and their silly ilk for their silliness. I have been quite successful. That's not going to change.

Our higher education has been the envy of the world because the Martys and koshergrs don't get their way, They never will. Their ilk nearly took over the GOP and failed. America is safe.

My point has been for six years to out the Martys and koshergrls and their silly ilk for their silliness. I have been quite successful. That's not going to change.

Our higher education has been the envy of the world because the Martys and koshergrs don't get their way, They never will. Their ilk nearly took over the GOP and failed. America is safe.
Wow, you've wasted six years of your life. That's so sad.

Only in your feeble little mind.

Wow, you've wasted six years of your life. That's so sad.
You prove my point. I am going to keep your off Ignore. You are amusing to me.

words mean things. an illegal alien is an illegal alien. You may have a smidge of a point with tranny, but all that is is a shortening of transexual.

You first cleanse speech, then you go right on to ideas. Don't try to deny that is the game, your side is way too predictable.

Your side seems to get their feewings hurt way to easily by words. Maybe society is too rough for you, I suggest becoming a hermit.

Examples please.

When you penalize someone's grades based on words used, that's banning.[/QUOTE}
If you cannot control your use of slurs and offensive terms, perhaps you should not take a course where racial, gender and ethnic bias is the topic.

Examples please.

When you penalize someone's grades based on words used, that's banning.[/QUOTE}
If you cannot control your use of slurs and offensive terms, perhaps you should not take a course where racial, gender and ethnic bias is the topic.

Maybe you should learn to use the quote function properly.

More of the Syllabus to put the OP into focus.

Course Description
This class will look the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in film and media, and the social, political, economic, and cultural practices impact of these mediums. We will explore some of the complexities of these identities through the course texts, selected articles, group discussions, lectures, and film with attention to media and popular culture.

Using classic and contemporary films, as well as sample content from television and the internet, we will explore the boundaries, stipulations, and expectations which shape cultural expectations of sex, gender identity and expression, sexuality, and sexual orientation.

Learning Outcomes By the end of this semester, you should have the skills to:  Understand core concepts of: race, class, gender, sex, gender identity, sexuality, and sexual orientation in relation to social, political, economic, and cultural norms and practices.

 Have the ability to recognize these concepts in film, media, television, and online and identify the complications of these representations.

 Identify areas of systemic and institutionalized racism, prejudice, misogyny, classism, sexism, and discriminatory practices in the casting, production, distribution, and reception of various media samples, and make connections to your personal experiences.

 Recognize the intersectionality of race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and ability in actors, their roles, and their on- & off-screen personas.

 Participate in discussions in a thoughtful and academic manner, with understanding of critical race theory, feminist, anti-racist, and allied social discourse.

 Engage in discussion surrounding contemporary political movements and trends in popular culture and social discourse which contribute to the systemic issues discussed in class.

 Distinguish and dismantle stereotypes, archetypes, assumptions, clichés, and widespread beliefs surrounding race, class, sexuality, gender, and identity.
That's fine but what does that have to do with the reality that a professor is attempting to reclassify non offensive (except to a very tiny minority) common words, phrases, usage as offensive and doing so by treats of academic punishment.
My response would be Da Tovaritch or Da Camraden, my next response would be to advise the Dean and demand it be changed, if that failed it would be the Board advising them of the possibility of a violation of civil liberties lawsuit.
Colored is offensive to most African Americans. Tranny is offensive to anyone. Illegal is offensive to many immigrants, here with permission or not. There is absolutely no violation of anyone's liberty to be required, in a classroom, to avoid offensive language. I have the right to use the word Fuck here, on this site. Others sites do not allow that. If a professor required that students not use profane language in a classroom, when the same profane language is protected in speech outside the classroom, is a that a violation of the student's rights?
Colored was never offensive to any blacks I knew/know they just preferred black or AA so we can toss that out as an offensive word. Trannies call themselves trannies, there goes another one, illegal is not offensive to MANY, it's a contrived (for political reasons) offensive designation only a very few claim not to like, one more misrepresentation booted out the door. What about gender references, since when did that become offensive? Give me a fucking break.
Having the right to curse on a website, in someones place of business or in someones home is a different animal as it's private property and we can curtail free speech if we so desire, Schools that receive government funding cannot though they do all the time.
In my humble but accurate opinion this is an undisguised attempt at enforcing political correctness in usage simply because the professor doesn't like those words, social engineering at it's worse. People like that shouldn't be teaching they should be convalescing in a nuthouse.
Oh and if I, you, him, them, whomever have a problem with something, is offended by something (I'm not including things like pedophilia) then we are the one's with the problem and we need to overcome it in ourselves.
Cause the African Americans you knew knew their place, right? Don't dare object to your use of racially offensive terms. Perhaps they jsut accepted that you were a racist prick and did not want to bother fighting with you? And tranny is offensive. That some have so little respect for themselves that they use that term does not mean it is an acceptable description, particularly not in a classroom. And you are wholly ignorant of the First Amendment if you don't think that schools and other governmental entities cannot have rules regarding the use of offensive language. Your opinion is anything but humble. You arrogantly assume to know why this professor wants students to refrain from using language IN CLASS that might be offensive to others. You assume it is to control their opinions though it is clear from her syllabus that she wants all to express their opinions. Only morons like you and Mac are unable to express an opinion without denigrating others.
I see you have projection down to a science. I'm not assuming anything, it's obvious what the professor is doing, you're either too blind to see it or part of the process and are deflecting.
Oh and your pathetic attempt to label me a racist is exactly that, banal and pathetic, obviously the only racist here is you or that is the only way you think you can win the argument. Yup, pathetic.
Yes, schools and other government entities can have rules regarding offensive language, the problem here is you see something as offensive that the vast majority of the population doesn't, that's where the primary disagreement is between us.
Does not matter what the vast majority (a lie, by the way) find to be offensive. The professed gets to set the parameters for discussion in her classroom. She wants to ban profanity, she can. She wants to ban the use of terms that some in her class might find offensive, fine. There is no first amendment right to use offensive speech in a classroom.

My brother in law's two nieces, who are adopted Asian twins, were told they could NOT take the calculus they wanted to take, and instead had to take a DIVERSITY course.

We need to shut our universities and throw the instructors out on the street.
Shutting our universities would result in more people like you.

That's fine but what does that have to do with the reality that a professor is attempting to reclassify non offensive (except to a very tiny minority) common words, phrases, usage as offensive and doing so by treats of academic punishment.
My response would be Da Tovaritch or Da Camraden, my next response would be to advise the Dean and demand it be changed, if that failed it would be the Board advising them of the possibility of a violation of civil liberties lawsuit.
Colored is offensive to most African Americans. Tranny is offensive to anyone. Illegal is offensive to many immigrants, here with permission or not. There is absolutely no violation of anyone's liberty to be required, in a classroom, to avoid offensive language. I have the right to use the word Fuck here, on this site. Others sites do not allow that. If a professor required that students not use profane language in a classroom, when the same profane language is protected in speech outside the classroom, is a that a violation of the student's rights?
Colored was never offensive to any blacks I knew/know they just preferred black or AA so we can toss that out as an offensive word. Trannies call themselves trannies, there goes another one, illegal is not offensive to MANY, it's a contrived (for political reasons) offensive designation only a very few claim not to like, one more misrepresentation booted out the door. What about gender references, since when did that become offensive? Give me a fucking break.
Having the right to curse on a website, in someones place of business or in someones home is a different animal as it's private property and we can curtail free speech if we so desire, Schools that receive government funding cannot though they do all the time.
In my humble but accurate opinion this is an undisguised attempt at enforcing political correctness in usage simply because the professor doesn't like those words, social engineering at it's worse. People like that shouldn't be teaching they should be convalescing in a nuthouse.
Oh and if I, you, him, them, whomever have a problem with something, is offended by something (I'm not including things like pedophilia) then we are the one's with the problem and we need to overcome it in ourselves.
Cause the African Americans you knew knew their place, right? Don't dare object to your use of racially offensive terms. Perhaps they jsut accepted that you were a racist prick and did not want to bother fighting with you? And tranny is offensive. That some have so little respect for themselves that they use that term does not mean it is an acceptable description, particularly not in a classroom. And you are wholly ignorant of the First Amendment if you don't think that schools and other governmental entities cannot have rules regarding the use of offensive language. Your opinion is anything but humble. You arrogantly assume to know why this professor wants students to refrain from using language IN CLASS that might be offensive to others. You assume it is to control their opinions though it is clear from her syllabus that she wants all to express their opinions. Only morons like you and Mac are unable to express an opinion without denigrating others.
I see you have projection down to a science. I'm not assuming anything, it's obvious what the professor is doing, you're either too blind to see it or part of the process and are deflecting.
Oh and your pathetic attempt to label me a racist is exactly that, banal and pathetic, obviously the only racist here is you or that is the only way you think you can win the argument. Yup, pathetic.
Yes, schools and other government entities can have rules regarding offensive language, the problem here is you see something as offensive that the vast majority of the population doesn't, that's where the primary disagreement is between us.
Does not matter what the vast majority (a lie, by the way) find to be offensive. The professed gets to set the parameters for discussion in her classroom. She wants to ban profanity, she can. She wants to ban the use of terms that some in her class might find offensive, fine. There is no first amendment right to use offensive speech in a classroom.
Again, the problem is you have decided these words are derogatory, you and a very small minority, word that until relatively recently were never considered even remotely derogatory (offensive)...... When I was in college we were challenged to question everything, to leave anything and everything open for discussion and examination.
And no, you only see it as a lie because you want to, not because it is.
Let's look at the phrase illegal alien for instance. Those that fit that category are not citizens therefore aliens, those that are in any country without permission are there illegally hence illegal aliens. Calling them undocumented immigrants is only partially true and simply nothing more than an attempt to reclassify those falling under the illegal alien category in what some consider a more positive light. Like calling a janitor a custodial engineer, doesn't change the fact that a janitor is a janitor. It's not like their being called a n*gger, sp*c, w*p, etc, those words are meant to be derogatory therefore offensive. Not allowing gender specific is a fairly new attempt to redefine how people look at gender classifications, it's bull shit and by no means offensive except to those playing at social engineering.
These are aspects of culture I've studied from school onward so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, take a couple of years of psych and sociology then get back to me.

Ringel: nonsense.

Your opinion only. The students will be able to discuss all of that, challenged to have to discuss it in the language of educated, clear eyed professionals.

Forum List

Back