Progress: A Hundred Years

What is truly ironic about this topic is that is was started by a woman. At the time Wilson gave the speech (1890) which she so terribly misunderstood, women did not have the right to vote! And blacks, while technically free, were still oppressed. More than half the population was disenfranchised when Wilson gave that speech.

Thus we have an outstanding example of pretty words being absolutely meaningless if not actually carried out by action. This is what Wilson was addressing in his speech.

You can thank Wilson, and people like him, that you are able to read and write and vote, PoliticalChic.

And take a good look at the words our Founders used, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights".

Nothing in there about women being endowed with unalienable Rights.

Last edited:
Funny you're asking her to read the speech in context, but aren't quoting it in context for a proper demonstration of your point. Go figure.

I just did.

Go figure. Let me know if you don't understand some of the words.

Right after I told you to. Go figure, mon ami!

Well, dipshit, I did not even see your post until I posted the speech. I was busy finding it and making jpg's of it so I could post it. Something that takes several minutes to do.

Nice edit too. You took out some of that "quote in context" just now.

It was overlapping text, idiot.

It's a fail argument, numbnuts.

Besides, PC has already handed you your backside many times over nonetheless. Just don't. You reek of a liberal... akin to Joe as saying "I once was a Republican." Pathetic. It was YOU quoting out of context. At least try to save face here, g5.

Last edited:
That's idiotic. To say we need more laws to guarantee freedom is ludicrous. Freedom cannot be legislated or divvied out, nor can it be taken away without just cause. Freedom is a human right on which no laws of men may impinge.

Which is why women had the right to vote when Wilson made the speech, right genius? We didn't need any laws to make that happen, eh?

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh and, you deleted the post I just quoted and replied with an excuse. Besides, once I called you out, you did not reply to me or attempt to reply for the rest of the day.

That's idiotic. To say we need more laws to guarantee freedom is ludicrous. Freedom cannot be legislated or divvied out, nor can it be taken away without just cause. Freedom is a human right on which no laws of men may impinge.

Which is why women had the right to vote when Wilson made the speech, right genius? We didn't need any laws to make that happen, eh?

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you going to troll or have an actual argument. You don't legislate freedom. Just like I can't legislate your right to go to the john and take an enormous dump in your own commode. Just be quiet, g5.

What is truly ironic about this topic is that is was started by a woman. At the time Wilson gave the speech (1890) which she so terribly misunderstood, women did not have the right to vote! And blacks, while technically free, were still oppressed. More than half the population was disenfranchised when Wilson gave that speech.

Thus we have an outstanding example of pretty words being absolutely meaningless if not actually carried out by action. This is what Wilson was addressing in his speech.

You can thank Wilson, and people like him, that you are able to read and write and vote, PoliticalChic.

And take a good look at the words our Founders used, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights".

Nothing in there about women being endowed with unalienable Rights.

1. "What is truly ironic about this topic is that is was started by a woman."

Well, the odds would be fifty-fifty......I mean, not counting whatever anthropologists decide that you are.

2. "At the time Wilson gave the speech (1890) which she so terribly misunderstood, women did not have the right to vote!"

Since I schooled you on Wilson's view of individuals vs. the collective, you are the one who "terribly misunderstood."
Didn't you want to thank me for educating you?

And, of course, you were oblivious to the fact that Republicans dragged Wilson to endorse suffrage.
He opposed same, as he did rights for blacks.

3. " And blacks, while technically free, were still oppressed."
It was Wilson and the Democrats who threw black government employees out of their jobs and endorsed Jim Crow laws.

Amazing how uninformed you are.

But....I’m proud of you! Not only are you a fool, but you have the energy to let everyone know it!

4. "You can thank Wilson, and people like him, that you are able to read and write and vote, PoliticalChic."

Wrong again, moron....I was literate in another language before I came to this nation.

5. "And take a good look at the words our Founders used, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights".

You are either an imbecile.....or haven't paid attention in school...which would make you an imbecile.

"English speakers and writers have traditionally been taught to use masculine nouns and pronouns in situations where the gender of their subject(s) is unclear or variable, or when a group to which they are referring contains members of both sexes. For example, the U.S. Declaration of Independence states that ” . . . all men are created equal . . .”
Gender-Sensitive Language - The Writing Center

Congrat!

You now hold the record for the greatest number of errors in a single post!!!!

Bet you never thought you could be voted the dumbest poster on the board....but, heck....don't sell yourself short!

Last edited:
And, of course, you were oblivious to the fact that Republicans dragged Wilson to endorse suffrage.

Wrong! So let's do some REAL schooling, kiddo:

Woodrow Wilson and the Women's Suffrage Movement: A Reflection | Wilson Center

Woodrow Wilson entered office at the pinnacle of the women’s suffrage movement in 1913. Many historians say that President Wilson’s support for women’s suffrage was lukewarm at best, but the president, remembered by many as a moral crusader dedicated to the fervent ideals that intend to make the world a better place, did undergo an ethical metamorphosis after which he lent his support to women’s suffragists and actively fought on their behalf.

In 1917, suffragist picketed outside of the White House demanding Wilson’s support extend beyond what they deemed as mere lip service for the cause. While at first largely peaceful, the protests later turned violent resulting in the detention of several women who then protested their incarceration with hunger strikes. Wilson was appalled when he discovered that many of these women were being force fed in the prison and finally stepped in toward the fight for women’s enfranchisement, finally joining his daughter, leading suffragist Jessie Woodrow Wilson Sayre.

Wilson’s voice proved unequivocal in the ultimate passing of the 19th amendment. In a 1918 speech before the Congress, Wilson – for the first time in his time in office – publically endorsed women’s rights to vote. Realizing the vitality of women during the First World War, President Wilson asked Congress, “We have made partners of the women in this war… Shall we admit them only to a partnership of suffering and sacrifice and toil and not to a partnership of privilege and right?”

As I said, you can thank Wilson for your right to vote. He put his money where his mouth was, demonstrating that "mere lip service" to our country's ideals was not good enough and had to backed by action and laws.

Last edited:
2. "At the time Wilson gave the speech (1890) which she so terribly misunderstood, women did not have the right to vote!"

Since I schooled you on Wilson's view of individuals vs. the collective, you are the one who "terribly misunderstood."
Didn't you want to thank me for educating you?

Wrong! So let's do some REAL schooling, kiddo:

Woodrow Wilson and the Women's Suffrage Movement: A Reflection | Wilson Center

Woodrow Wilson entered office at the pinnacle of the women’s suffrage movement in 1913. Many historians say that President Wilson’s support for women’s suffrage was lukewarm at best, but the president, remembered by many as a moral crusader dedicated to the fervent ideals that intend to make the world a better place, did undergo an ethical metamorphosis after which he lent his support to women’s suffragists and actively fought on their behalf.

In 1917, suffragist picketed outside of the White House demanding Wilson’s support extend beyond what they deemed as mere lip service for the cause. While at first largely peaceful, the protests later turned violent resulting in the detention of several women who then protested their incarceration with hunger strikes. Wilson was appalled when he discovered that many of these women were being force fed in the prison and finally stepped in toward the fight for women’s enfranchisement, finally joining his daughter, leading suffragist Jessie Woodrow Wilson Sayre.

As I said, you can thank Wilson for your right to vote. He put his money where his mouth was, demonstrating that "mere lip service" to our country's ideals was not good enough and had to backed by action and laws.

Giving you the beatings you deserve has gotten to be a guilty pleasure for me.

Let's begin here:

"And, of course, you were oblivious to the fact that Republicans dragged Wilson to endorse suffrage.
Wrong! So let's do some REAL schooling, kiddo:....."

1. It was a Republican who introduced what became the 19th Amendment, women’s suffrage. On May 21, 1919, U.S. Representative James R. Mann (1856-1922), a Republican from Illinois and chairman of the Suffrage Committee, proposed the House resolution to approve the Susan Anthony Amendment granting women the right to vote. The measure passed the House 304-89—a full 42 votes above the required two-thirds majority.
19th Amendment - Women?s History - HISTORY.com

2. The 1919 vote in the House of Representatives was possible because Republicans had retaken control of the House. Attempts to get it passed through Democrat-controlled Congresses had failed.

3. The Senate vote was approved only after a Democrat filibuster; and 82% of the Republican Senators voted for it….and 54% of the Democrats.

4. 26 of the 36 states that ratified the 19th Amendment had Republican legislatures.

5. Two weeks later, on June 4, 1919, the Senate passed the 19th Amendment by two votes over its two-thirds required majority, 56-25. The amendment was then sent to the states for ratification. Within six days of the ratification cycle, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin each ratified the amendment. Kansas, New York and Ohio followed on June 16, 1919. By March of the following year, a total of 35 states had approved the amendment, one state shy of the two-thirds required for ratification. Southern states were adamantly opposed to the amendment, however, and seven of them—Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, South Carolina and Virginia—had already rejected it before Tennessee's vote on August 18, 1920. It was up to Tennessee to tip the scale for woman suffrage.
Op. Cit.

6. The outlook appeared bleak, given the outcomes in other Southern states and given the position of Tennessee's state legislators in their 48-48 tie. The state's decision came down to 23-year-old Representative Harry T. Burn (1895-1977), a Republican from McMinn County, to cast the deciding vote. Although Burn opposed the amendment, his mother convinced him to approve it. (Mrs. Burn reportedly wrote to her son: "Don't forget to be a good boy and help Mrs. Catt put the 'rat' in ratification.")
With Burn's vote, the 19th Amendment was ratified. Certification by U.S. Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby (1869-1950) followed on August 26, 1920.
Op. Cit.

7. The National Women's Party led by Alice Paul became the first "cause" to picket outside the White House. Paul and Lucy Burns led a series of protests against the Wilson Administration in Washington. Wilson ignored the protests for six months, but on June 20, 1917, as a Russian delegation drove up to the White House, suffragettes unfurled a banner which stated; "We women of America tell you that America is not a democracy. Twenty million women are denied the right to vote. President Wilson is the chief opponent of their national enfranchisement".[24] Another banner on August 14, 1917, referred to "Kaiser Wilson" and compared the plight of the German people with that of American women. With this manner of protest, the women were subject to arrests and many were jailed.[25] On October 17, Alice Paul was sentenced to seven months and on October 30 began a hunger strike, but after a few days prison authorities began to force feed her.[24] After years of opposition, Wilson changed his position in 1918 to advocate women's suffrage as a war measure.[26] Women's suffrage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
24. ^ a b James Ciment, Thaddeus Russell (2007). "The home front encyclopedia: United States, Britain, and Canada in World Wars I and II, Volume 1". p.163. ABC-CLIO, 2007
25. ^ Stevens et al., Jailed for Freedom: American Women Win the Vote, NewSage Press (March 21, 1995).
26. ^ Lemons, J. Stanley (1973). "The woman citizen: social feminism in the 1920s" p.13. University of Virginia Press, 1973

a. During the 1912 presidential campaign against Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson and his opponent agreed on many reform measures such as child-labor laws and pro-union legislation. They differed, however, on the subject of women's suffrage, as Roosevelt was in favor of giving women the vote.
President Woodrow Wilson picketed by women suffragists ? History.com This Day in History ? 8/28/1917

8. Republicans led the fight for women’s rights, and most suffragists were Republicans. In fact, Susan B. Anthony bragged about how, after voting (illegally) in 1872, she had voted a straight Republican ticket. The suffragists included two African-American women who were also co-founders of the NAACP: Ida Wells and Mary Terrell, great Republicans, both of them.

Republican Senator Aaron Sargent wrote the women’s suffrage amendment in 1878,though it would not be passed by Congress until Republicans again won control of both houses 40 years later. It was in 1916 that the first woman was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, Republican Jeannette Rankin. The first woman mayor was elected in 1926, the Honorable Bertha Landes of Seattle, another great Republican.
Everything I Know Is Wrong: History of the Republican Party

How ya' like that, boyyyyyyeeeeee???

So.....are you a dunce...or what????

Let's review:

Rule #1....never doubt me.

Rule #2....see Rule #1.

Woodrow Wilson was a progressive, meaning that he opposed America as it was founded.

He opposed checks and balances.

He opposed oversight of agencies set up within the executive branch, as he wrote in "The Administrative State."

He opposed the Constitution itself....and stated so.

He opposed any idea of unalienable rights.

He opposed civil rights for blacks.

He opposed giving women the right to vote.

In short, he endorsed giving America a monarchy, or an imperial presidency.
This view can be found in Franklin Roosevelt, and Barack Hussein Obama, as well.

None of the three deserved the presidency of the United States as it was founded.
We all make mistakes....those are three or them.

Turn off FOX News and read the USAPATRIOT Act, then say that Republicans respect the US Constitution.

YAWN
poor whiny liberal crybaby; crying about yet another thing obama and Progressives in the Democrat Party keep EXTENDING AND RENEWING
is there no end to your asinine excuses?

FACTS ARE obama has EXPANDED warrantless wiretapping and surveillance of American citizens

For the vision impaired:
Wilson’s voice proved unequivocal in the ultimate passing of the 19th amendment. In a 1918 speech before the Congress, Wilson – for the first time in his time in office – publically endorsed women’s rights to vote. Realizing the vitality of women during the First World War, President Wilson asked Congress, “We have made partners of the women in this war… Shall we admit them only to a partnership of suffering and sacrifice and toil and not to a partnership of privilege and right?”

For the vision impaired:

1. Repeated for the hard-of-thinking:

Wilson opposed women's suffrage.

It was a Republican proposal, and passed via Republican efforts.....opposed by Democrat filibuster!

The same progression can be seen in Republicans dragging Bill 'the rapist' Clinton to sign welfare reform.

2. " In a 1918 speech before the Congress, Wilson – for the first time in his time in office – publically endorsed women’s rights to vote."

Wilson was a congenital liar.

He made similar promises to blacks, with no intention other than to impress dolts who believed same....raise your paw.

Example:

During Woodrow Wilson’s 1912 presidential campaign, he promised African Americans advancement. He stated, “Should I become President of the United States, [Negroes] [sic] may count upon me for absolute fair dealing and for everything by which I could assist in advancing the interests of their race in the United States.”(1) Believing in his promise, many African Americans broke their affiliation with the Republican Party and voted for Wilson. He did not, however, fulfill the promises he made during the campaign to the African American community during his presidency. Less than a month after his March 4, 1913 inauguration,(2) President Wilson’s Administration took the first steps towards segregating the federal service.
1) Nancy J. Weiss, “The Negro and the New Freedom: Fighting Wilsonian Segregation” Political Science Quarterly 84 (1969): 63.
2) “Presidential Inaugurations”, Library of Congress,Presidential Inaugurations: Menu of all Presidents,
(August 2, 2007).

Really.....are you abysmally dumb....or simply too lazy to do any research?

For the vision impaired:

It was a Republican proposal, and passed via Republican efforts.....opposed by Democrat filibuster!

Was that the Republican party of Barry Goldwater, or Nelson Rockefeller?

For the vision impaired:

So....you don't want to dispute that the party of Woodrow Wilson is the same anti-Constitution party as that of Franklin Roosevelt or Barack Obama?

Wise decision.

Are you trying to say that the Republican party of 100 years ago is the same as the Republican party today?

Because that's entirely wrong.

So....you don't want to dispute that the party of Woodrow Wilson is the same anti-Constitution party as that of Franklin Roosevelt or Barack Obama?

Wise decision.

I'm addressing your assertions about women's suffrage.

Are you trying to say that the Republican party of 100 years ago is the same as the Republican party today?

Because that's entirely wrong.

The Republican Party a hundred years ago was dominated by what later became known as Rockefeller Republicans;

that wing of the party was ultimately marginalized by the Goldwater/Reagan wing, when the party was moved far to the right in order to pick up the segregationist South.

We go through this about once a month on this board, because apparently the conservatives around here never tire of losing this argument.

Luckily, Republicans changed that.

Bet you didn't know that is was the Republicans that produced that result.

I'd add it to the list of things you didn't know.....but there's no room.

doesn't matter who changed it. the fact remains it was a progressive move. This my team did this and my team did that is a poison on this nation.

I'll take that post as meaning that you have learned your lesson.

yes, i wish we could go back to 1914 when you could be slapped out in public and people would agree, because you have a mouth problem.

Regardless of what you think, Progress is a good thing

Forum List

Back