Progressives Killed Eric Garner

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
It's true.
What was the "root cause" of police approaching Garner? He was illegally selling untaxed cigarettes.
Now, NY has raised taxes on cigarettes, a favored progressive cause, to unbelievable levels. And of course that invites activity to skirt the tax in any way. The simplest is to load up a van in NC, where the tax is low, drive the cigs to NY, where the tax is high, and sell them. They are like arbitragers.
Garner was simply responding to incentives put out by progressives and their insane tax policies and selling cigs to earn a living. But the result was an unforutnate encounter and his death. Better tax policies in NY would have left this man alive.

It's true.
What was the "root cause" of police approaching Garner? He was illegally selling untaxed cigarettes.
Now, NY has raised taxes on cigarettes, a favored progressive cause, to unbelievable levels. And of course that invites activity to skirt the tax in any way. The simplest is to load up a van in NC, where the tax is low, drive the cigs to NY, where the tax is high, and sell them. They are like arbitragers.
Garner was simply responding to incentives put out by progressives and their insane tax policies and selling cigs to earn a living. But the result was an unforutnate encounter and his death. Better tax policies in NY would have left this man alive.

I believe you killed him.......makes as much sense.

It's true.

Was I on the scene? Did I institute a tax that invited non compliance?
No and no.
You fail. Again.

It's true.

Was I on the scene? Did I institute a tax that invited non compliance?
No and no.
You fail. Again.

If you had been he probably would have opted for suicide rather than be subjected to one of your boring lectures.

Eric Garner is proof that cigarettes will kill you.

lol, what was the tax rate on those cigars that Michael Brown stole?

His tobacco related theft was the crime of the century, remember?

Eric Garner DID commit suicide.by failing to comply with the commands of the NYPD officers on the scene. At that point any negative outcome was his own fault.

I say this as an individual who truly expects to see his life end at the hands of LEOs, but when you resist an officer or fail to comply with commands, you have to expect the worst response (for you) possible.

Eric Garner DID commit suicide.by failing to comply with the commands of the NYPD officers on the scene. At that point any negative outcome was his own fault.

I say this as an individual who truly expects to see his life end at the hands of LEOs, but when you resist an officer or fail to comply with commands, you have to expect the worst response (for you) possible.

The choke hold is clearly against NYPD policy, the officer in question should be fired.

Wow, this is like saying that since prudish Republicans keep public nudity illegal, cops are free to kill nude people and it will be all the fault of Republicans.

The choke hold is clearly against NYPD policy, the officer in question should be fired.

Believe it or not there is more than one type of choke hold. The banned one cuts off circulation to the brain. This one mere cuts off oxygen in an attempt to gain compliance. The one this officer used is legal.

All this guy had to do was comply with the officers and it would gave been all over. Disobey a cop and get what you deserve.

Against policy but not illegal.

Believe it or not there is more than one type of choke hold. The banned one cuts off circulation to the brain. This one mere cuts off oxygen in an attempt to gain compliance. The one this officer used is legal.

All this guy had to do was comply with the officers and it would gave been all over. Disobey a cop and get what you deserve.

The choke hold is legal in New York, which means the officer won't be criminally liable. He is however obliged to follow all department policies as a condition for employment. He should be fired.

Here is a good Opinion piece.

Blame only the man who tragically decided to resist New York Post

"First, while “chokeholds” are banned by NYPD regulation, they’re not illegal under state law when used by a cop during a lawful arrest. So much for criminal charges, given that nobody seriously disputes the legitimacy of the arrest."

"Finally, there is this: There were 228,000 misdemeanor arrests in New York City in 2013, the last year for which there are audited figures, and every one of them had at least the potential to turn into an Eric Garner-like case."

Here is a good Opinion piece.

Blame only the man who tragically decided to resist New York Post

"First, while “chokeholds” are banned by NYPD regulation, they’re not illegal under state law when used by a cop during a lawful arrest. So much for criminal charges, given that nobody seriously disputes the legitimacy of the arrest."

"Finally, there is this: There were 228,000 misdemeanor arrests in New York City in 2013, the last year for which there are audited figures, and every one of them had at least the potential to turn into an Eric Garner-like case."

None of which absolves the officer of his responsibility to obey department policy. He should be fired.

[The choke hold is legal in New York, which means the officer won't be criminally liable. He is however obliged to follow all department policies as a condition for employment. He should be fired.

For what? Again, the hold he used is acceptable under NYPD policy which bans a specific hold, no choke holds in general

Thus officer should get a commendation, just like Officer Wilson..... for ridding the streets of another criminal; permanently.

Forum List

Back