Proof How Your Religion Could Be Made Up

The myth was spread verbally first.

I'm sure the first Muslims and Mormons were persecuted too.

So was Nero a myth or was the persecution of Christians, which was recorded by Roman historians, a myth?

Just because people in a new growing cult were persecuted for their beliefs does not even mean they saw Jesus do what he supposedly did. Look at how much you guys believe and you didn't see it for yourself. The ancient Greeks who were suckered into this new cult were very superstitious and gullible. Some Christian came up to them and told them all the Greek gods were not real, there is only one true god and if you don't accept him you'll go to hell. They, like modern day Christians, require no proof. Either they want to believe it or they don't want to go to hell or a mixture of both.

And the funny thing is I use to believe this crap. Nothing bad happened to change my mind. I just listened to the facts. I learned the history of Christianity and all other religions. For example, when you learn the history of Christianity in 1500ad, how can you believe anything those churches and societies handed down to us? I'll tell you how. You would have to stop using your brain. You would have to be brainwashed.

I know a lot of theists think, "how could such a lie spread and get so popular?". Well just look at Islam or Mormons. No difference.

Now go ahead and explain away why your fairy tale is real. But provide no evidence. Just hypothesize about how their must be a creator because you can't imagine there isn't one. Then give him a personality and tell us how he visited you. Dopes.

You keep telling me there's no evidence and it's all made up after the first Gospel but we have Nero persecuting people a generation after and 1,400 miles away from the only place Jesus walked the Earth in 64AD.

I grew up RCC, fell away when I hit puberty, but now have come circling back.

My understanding of human nature tells me that people won't martyr themselves for the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause, but when it comes to Jesus, it's a whole other dimension. Take Polycarp for example. He did not see Jesus but he was a disciple of St John and was as convinced as Rabbi Akiva.

The Truth resonates and is undiminished by the passage of time

Remember Heavens Gate? Those people killed themselves because their cult leader/profit/messiah told them to.

So you're admitting that Jesus existed prior to the publication of the First Gospels

I'm not going to argue with Christians why their religion is made up and then with Mormons and then Muslims and then the original liars the Jews. Moses. HA! You theists are still uneducated, unevolved, superstitious, gullible & uncivilized. In 500 years humans will look back at us like we look back and people who once thought the earth was flat.

So was Nero a myth or was the persecution of Christians, which was recorded by Roman historians, a myth?

No, and you gave the answer already yourself.
It was RECORDED. Historiography is the science of very close scrutiny about the consistency of this records from various sources. It is like forensics.
We know maybe not everyhing about roman history, but we have a pretty good picture with very few loopholes. We know dates, names, figures, we have the artefact remainings, and so on and so forth.
We use their legal system as the base for ours.
And not just records from Rome itself, they are from all over the former roman empire. I live on a part of it.
We have no record at all from Jesus. None. Zero. The stories came up around 70 years later and are different like hearsay testimonies of a burglary at night 10 kilometers away.

If the stories only started 70 years later, who was Nero persecuting as followers of Christ in 64 AD?

Hmmm?

If God didn't talk to Joseph Smith, why were there Mormons in 1801?

I don't understand your deflection. On the one hand you're telling us Jesus was a myth made up by the writers of the First Gospels after the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD. When I point out that Christians were Martyred by Nero 6 years before the publication of the First Gospel you're bringing up Mormons

Every argument you make for your religion, Mormons and Muslims make for theirs.

Sealy, I've had to deal with the skepticism and doubt too and the more I looked into it, the more apparent it is that Jesus was a real person who walked the Earth.

If you'd like I can link to the work of an archaeologist who found a burial tomb in Jerusalem that was covered by stone a 12 foot diameter, 2 feet thick that had sheared off the metal bolts securing it over the tomb. The base of the bolts are still in the wall and it's estimated you'd have to apply an 80 ton force to shear off the bolts flush with the wall.

First thing I'm going to ask god is which god is he then why'd you go to such great length to hide from us.?

He didn't. He knows that matter what He does, you're not going to believe.
I see you've personalized your gawds just as others have personalized the gawds that were invented prior to your gawds.

How does that impact the reality that you're simply not going to believe, no matter what God does?

Why is it now that we have developed rational inquiry we hear only a deafening silence from a god who once supposedly engaged regularly in human affairs? Why does god not simply speak to us or appear before us as he supposedly used to? Why are we the losers in the dice roll of time? If a god places such a high value on us worshipping and believing then why not simply make its existence obvious to us?

But it is obvious. Life itself is the answer.

If that's all you need to believe then good for you! You are a deep thinker. No wonder the churches are so effective in suckering followers into their bullshit stories. You want to believe. No evidence required oh lord!

There is zero direct evidence for the Big Bang. Cosmology can take us to within 500,000 years or so of the event. The best mathematicians, and the best physicists, and the best astronomers have been working on that particular problem for 75 years now. These are the best and the brightest that mankind has produced in a 1000 years. They have been able to track down proxies, and other forms of indirect evidence for this event.

Actually no. We are close to a few milliseconds.

And we still believe that it happened. That all of the universe that we know of originated from a singularity the size of a proton. Do you know what a proton is? It is part of the nucleus of an atom..... In other words ALL of the matter that exists in this universe....ALL OF IT......originated from a point smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

No. that is what the creationists and folks like that repeatedly bring on the table.
The proton thing is a realy old picture from a time we had not really an idea of the particles building the sub atomic particles. Namely 6 Quarks, 6 Leptons, 12 kinds of Photons, Bosons, Gluons, Gravitons and the Higgs Boson which maybe actually a field.
This picture was just that, a picture. Maybe religious people can only understand pictures, but then they use them to deny simple physical facts.
The current view is, to make it simple, that the BB resulted from a kind of asymmetry of quantum fluctuations. There was no mass concentration the size of a proton, there was nothing.
Before you go for such basic interpretations like the BB wihout any knowledge in phyics, maybe you should learn about the things you consist of, and your surrouding. Astonishingly, you are just a bunch of energy that manifests itself in form of mass by the help of this asymmetry, created during the big bang.

That is the theory that the best and the brightest have come up with. You are quibbling over the existence of a man who's followers founded a religion, who we have direct evidence of 60 years after the fact, and who existed in a time when there were almost no people who could read or write?

The texts about Jesus are not from his followers, 70 years after his assumed death they were dead, too. At this time besides some very wealthy, people hardly became older than 50. And they had no evidence, nothing at all. You know what evidence means?

Just because people in a new growing cult were persecuted for their beliefs does not even mean they saw Jesus do what he supposedly did. Look at how much you guys believe and you didn't see it for yourself. The ancient Greeks who were suckered into this new cult were very superstitious and gullible. Some Christian came up to them and told them all the Greek gods were not real, there is only one true god and if you don't accept him you'll go to hell. They, like modern day Christians, require no proof. Either they want to believe it or they don't want to go to hell or a mixture of both.

And the funny thing is I use to believe this crap. Nothing bad happened to change my mind. I just listened to the facts. I learned the history of Christianity and all other religions. For example, when you learn the history of Christianity in 1500ad, how can you believe anything those churches and societies handed down to us? I'll tell you how. You would have to stop using your brain. You would have to be brainwashed.

I know a lot of theists think, "how could such a lie spread and get so popular?". Well just look at Islam or Mormons. No difference.

Now go ahead and explain away why your fairy tale is real. But provide no evidence. Just hypothesize about how their must be a creator because you can't imagine there isn't one. Then give him a personality and tell us how he visited you. Dopes.

You keep telling me there's no evidence and it's all made up after the first Gospel but we have Nero persecuting people a generation after and 1,400 miles away from the only place Jesus walked the Earth in 64AD.

My understanding of human nature tells me that people won't martyr themselves for the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause, but when it comes to Jesus, it's a whole other dimension. Take Polycarp for example. He did not see Jesus but he was a disciple of St John and was as convinced as Rabbi Akiva.

Remember Heavens Gate? Those people killed themselves because their cult leader/profit/messiah told them to.

So you're admitting that Jesus existed prior to the publication of the First Gospels

Admitting? He might have. The story could be completely made up but more likely IMO the stories of this MAN were embellished. The Old Testament prophesized a coming profit and the new cult fulfilled this prophecy.

Do you admit Joseph Smith and Mohammad were real men?

As far as I know Joseph Smith and Mohammad were real men. So was Yogananda Paramahansa

It was RECORDED. Historiography is the science of very close scrutiny about the consistency of this records from various sources. It is like forensics.
We know maybe not everyhing about roman history, but we have a pretty good picture with very few loopholes. We know dates, names, figures, we have the artefact remainings, and so on and so forth.
And not just records from Rome itself, they are from all over the former roman empire. I live on a part of it.
We have no record at all from Jesus. None. Zero. The stories came up around 70 years later and are different like hearsay testimonies of a burglary at night 10 kilometers away.

If the stories only started 70 years later, who was Nero persecuting as followers of Christ in 64 AD?

Hmmm?

I don't understand your deflection. On the one hand you're telling us Jesus was a myth made up by the writers of the First Gospels after the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD. When I point out that Christians were Martyred by Nero 6 years before the publication of the First Gospel you're bringing up Mormons

Sealy, I've had to deal with the skepticism and doubt too and the more I looked into it, the more apparent it is that Jesus was a real person who walked the Earth.

If you'd like I can link to the work of an archaeologist who found a burial tomb in Jerusalem that was covered by stone a 12 foot diameter, 2 feet thick that had sheared off the metal bolts securing it over the tomb. The base of the bolts are still in the wall and it's estimated you'd have to apply an 80 ton force to shear off the bolts flush with the wall.

Where has this evidence been all this time? Sounds to me like the evidence theists claimed proved Noah's arc but it is not conclusive. No, please don't waste my time. I'm not going to waste the time. Give this evidence to science and let me know when it has been confirmed that this is Jesus. And even if it is Yeshua in that box that doesn't mean he was god or performed miracles.

Clearly for you no evidence is needed.

PS. I can show you where Mohammad and Joseph Smith are buried. Ready to convert?

Admitting? He might have. The story could be completely made up but more likely IMO the stories of this MAN were embellished. The Old Testament prophesized a coming profit and the new cult fulfilled this prophecy.

Do you admit Joseph Smith and Mohammad were real men?

As far as I know Joseph Smith and Mohammad were real men. So was Yogananda Paramahansa

And I won't argue with you that Jesus was a real man and lived 2000 years ago.

Hmmm?

I can show you temples dedicated to Zeus, Apollo, Hera, Aphrodite that are a lot older than what these Christians made for their god and the Greek temples are in much better shape. Funny how the first Christians were all poor uneducated gullible people. Then as it caught on they started convincing middle class people until ultimately the emperor or king believed it too and then forced everyone to follow his religion.

I don't know why I bother. If Christians can't see they are no better or different than Muslims or Mormons then nothing I say is going to convince them. If they see themselves as better, special or different than Muslims and Mormons then that's by choice, not logic.

Oh, no. Not again.
Discovery Channel?

Listen, just for reason. If, IF somebody could give a solid proof something could be the tomb of Jesus, the pope of the catholic church would be there within 2 hours with a heli.
Everything else is a bullshit story of some movie makers, religious book authors and TV evangelists making money out of the, say, not so bright people.
Now, this tomb was discovered in the 80's, right?
You know, whatever my opinion about the Vatikan and its male citizens in womens clothes is, this guys are knowledgeable to the bone about this part of history. They own one of the worlds largest libraries, mostly connected to this issue. They read and speak latin as well as hebrew or aramaic, because it is their own goddamn history.

So, no matter what your bible TV or other TV sensation channel airs: as long as nobody in the Vatikan jumps, it is an absolute zero occurance.

Oh, no. Not again.
Discovery Channel?

Listen, just for reason. If, IF somebody could give a solid proof something could be the tomb of Jesus, the pope of the catholic church would be there within 2 hours with a heli.
Everything else is a bullshit story of some movie makers, religious book authors and TV evangelists making money out of the, say, not so bright people.
Now, this tomb was discovered in the 80's, right?
You know, whatever my opinion about the Vatikan and its male citizens in womens clothes is, this guys are knowledgeable to the bone about this part of history. They own one of the worlds largest libraries, mostly connected to this issue. They read and speak latin as well as hebrew or aramaic, because it is their own goddamn history.

So, no matter what your bible TV or other TV sensation channel airs: as long as nobody in the Vatikan jumps, it is an absolute zero occurance.

And if they really believe they too would get on a plane and go visit Jesus' tomb.

You are right if this was confirmed everyone would know about it.
And if it proved Jesus was god Jews and Muslims would have converted by now but this isnt evidence for anything.

[

I can show you temples dedicated to Zeus, Apollo, Hera, Aphrodite that are a lot older than what these Christians made for their god and the Greek temples are in much better shape. Funny how the first Christians were all poor uneducated gullible people. Then as it caught on they started convincing middle class people until ultimately the emperor or king believed it too and then forced everyone to follow his religion.

I don't know why I bother. If Christians can't see they are no better or different than Muslims or Mormons then nothing I say is going to convince them. If they see themselves as better, special or different than Muslims and Mormons then that's by choice, not logic.

Too simple. And wrong.
1. Christianity developed as a jewish sect in the Roman protectorate Palestine. The people there were generally not on a cultural level of the ancient Greeks or the Romans of the same time. They had no memorable architecture. The famous temple in Jerusalem is prett much exaggeratet in TV shows like history channel or book illustrations, no problem by todays virtual reality.
There were no cities. This were all more or less villages, mostly not even that.
And they were kept as slaves quite a few times, by the Babylonians and the Egyptians for example, which might be the reason that they came up (as Jews) with their all powerful god, out of an inferiority syndrome. You have no costly representative buildings when you are just an enslaved nation for an extendet time.

2. Until the Romans scattered the jews around the roman world about 70 AD, Christianity stayed merely a jewish sect in Palestine, they came to Rome afterwards.
They did not conquer Rome, it was just a coincidence that the old Jupiter religion was slightly fading, and this peace and love and afterworld stuff was able to reach the people as an alternative.
Finally, the guys in power discovered that it was not so bad to have an almighty god behind them instead of this unreliable Roman or Greek whoremongers on the Olymp or elsewhere.

3. And here is the difference to Islam. I don't talk about Mormons, because this is too ridiculous.
It really is. I mean, golden plate (in the backyard!!!), stone, hat and such stuff comes not even near some halfway spiritual thnking. No matter what my opinion about that is.
Islam, however, is just, and nothing else, a religiously camouflaged ideology to justify the personal atrocites of Mohammed himself. He tried to grasp power from the beginning, how can you not see that all suras or hadiths are just a god given law he pulled out of his hat when he needed it to convince his crowd to have somebody killed, camel trains or cities attacked and robbed, and that was it.
And they proceeded like that since today. Somebody noted that down about 60 years after his death or so, because the organisation became bigger and only hearsay is not as good as a lawbook.

I really do not want to defend Christianity as a religion, I think I made it clear that I cannot beleive all this irrational stuff. But if you cannot see the difference between Christianity and Islam, you open the door for the latter a bit more and this will be a not so nice experience in the end.

Right, people have experiences you do not, therefore the experiences cannot possibly have happened.

That's not what he said.
It's worrisome, but they do. In the brain.
There are people who believe they are Napoleon. Or had a former life as Queen of Babylon.
And the truly believe that.
The point is, our brains have a modular design with very few basic functions. Besides the biochemical controls of the organism itself. A bit more than a CPU that can only add or subtract, but basically all memory, indexing, no matter if pictures, sounds, smells or any other information are processed the same way.
On top of that, to speed your brain up, it has various auto fill functions. This is pretty well known for your head cinema, your eyesight. You don't actually see what your front cameras transmit to your brain. This is filtered, and your brain takes already memorised contents to fill some gaps. We don't know yet how the brain decides what it wants you to see, but this head movie can contain up to 80% pictures out of its drawer. (This is actually the reason why it is impossible to dream something you have never seen before)
Because almost everything in the brain is somehow interconnected, lots of parallel processing taking place, it is easy to assume how it works if a brain comes to the conclusion it had a communication with god. Believers read about it, hear about it in church, see it in some movies etc. By repeatingly thinking of it and growing the respective Synapses it simply ranks the priority of such thoughts a few steps higher, and voilá.

Since it is impossible to dream something you've never seen, we can lay to rest the claim that those who have seen visions of things they've never before seen are just dreaming.

If Jesus was a myth, who was it Nero was persecuting a decade before publication of any books of the new testament?

Was Nero a myth too?

There is zero direct evidence for the Big Bang. Cosmology can take us to within 500,000 years or so of the event. The best mathematicians, and the best physicists, and the best astronomers have been working on that particular problem for 75 years now. These are the best and the brightest that mankind has produced in a 1000 years. They have been able to track down proxies, and other forms of indirect evidence for this event.

And we still believe that it happened. That all of the universe that we know of originated from a singularity the size of a proton. Do you know what a proton is? It is part of the nucleus of an atom..... In other words ALL of the matter that exists in this universe....ALL OF IT......originated from a point smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

That is the theory that the best and the brightest have come up with. You are quibbling over the existence of a man who's followers founded a religion, who we have direct evidence of 60 years after the fact, and who existed in a time when there were almost no people who could read or write?

Do you have any idea how stupid that statement is? Just as I believe that the Big Bang occurred, and that all of this universe erupted from that singularity, I also believe that Jesus was a real person. Of that there is NO doubt. Whether he is the Son of God or not is for religious people to discover for themselves. But that he existed is not in question.

To say he didn't is to ignore the history that does remain (and remember dear bobo, most of everything that has ever been written has been lost or destroyed) and to ignore the very nature of mankind, and how we interacts with others.

There are no absolute truths in science; all laws, theories and conclusions can become obsolete if they are found in contradiction with new evidence. However, ascientific theory is the highest honour any scientific principle can obtain, for they comprise all the evidence, laws and models relevant to an observed phenomena.

God isn't a theory because you have to have some scientific evidence for it to be that. All god is IS a hypothesis. The big bang is a scientific theory. Could it be wrong? Sure. But so far you can't even give us one shred of evidence for your god's existence. Pathetic. You just made it up. Today we don't get killed for calling you out on this but we did get killed for thousands of years. Why do you think the lie is so embedded into your brain? Your society/parents put it there. If we all believed in unicorns for thousands of years you'd be on USMB arguing for unicorns.

To be sure, and yet you ignore well established human behavior, and well known historical facts, that support the existence of a person known as Jesus. I'm agnostic silly boy, so don't go lumping me in with the religious folks. I AM a scientist however, and there is more evidence for the existence of Jesus than there is for the Big Bang.

As far as the existence of a God, however, there is neither evidence for, or against that too, is a fact.

If Jesus was a myth, who was it Nero was persecuting a decade before publication of any books of the new testament?

Was Nero a myth too?

People martyr themselves for Mohammad.

And people are prepared to go on a one way trip to Mars. Why is that?

[

Too simple. And wrong.
1. Christianity developed as a jewish sect in the Roman protectorate Palestine. The people there were generally not on a cultural level of the ancient Greeks or the Romans of the same time. They had no memorable architecture. The famous temple in Jerusalem is prett much exaggeratet in TV shows like history channel or book illustrations, no problem by todays virtual reality.
There were no cities. This were all more or less villages, mostly not even that.
And they were kept as slaves quite a few times, by the Babylonians and the Egyptians for example, which might be the reason that they came up (as Jews) with their all powerful god, out of an inferiority syndrome. You have no costly representative buildings when you are just an enslaved nation for an extendet time.

2. Until the Romans scattered the jews around the roman world about 70 AD, Christianity stayed merely a jewish sect in Palestine, they came to Rome afterwards.
They did not conquer Rome, it was just a coincidence that the old Jupiter religion was slightly fading, and this peace and love and afterworld stuff was able to reach the people as an alternative.
Finally, the guys in power discovered that it was not so bad to have an almighty god behind them instead of this unreliable Roman or Greek whoremongers on the Olymp or elsewhere.

3. And here is the difference to Islam. I don't talk about Mormons, because this is too ridiculous.
It really is. I mean, golden plate (in the backyard!!!), stone, hat and such stuff comes not even near some halfway spiritual thnking. No matter what my opinion about that is.
Islam, however, is just, and nothing else, a religiously camouflaged ideology to justify the personal atrocites of Mohammed himself. He tried to grasp power from the beginning, how can you not see that all suras or hadiths are just a god given law he pulled out of his hat when he needed it to convince his crowd to have somebody killed, camel trains or cities attacked and robbed, and that was it.
And they proceeded like that since today. Somebody noted that down about 60 years after his death or so, because the organisation became bigger and only hearsay is not as good as a lawbook.

I really do not want to defend Christianity as a religion, I think I made it clear that I cannot beleive all this irrational stuff. But if you cannot see the difference between Christianity and Islam, you open the door for the latter a bit more and this will be a not so nice experience in the end.

Your timeline is fucked. Nero is on record persecuting followers of Christ in Rome in 64 AD. To my understanding 64AD is 6 years prior to this imaginary scattering of people once Titus destroyed Jerusalem in 70AD.

maybe you can explain that?

Not for nothing, but Roman persecution of anything that threatened the stability of Rome and the Empire wasn't exactly something that just happened to Christians. He saw this cult popping up in the Near East and did what Rome always did to groups that didn't toe the line: to wit, killed them whenever possible.

Constantine didn't convert so much as he recognized that Christianity took hold in all of the empire and paganism was on the way out (except for among barbarians) and he wasn't going to be able to snuff it out and it was just easier to say the empire was Christian and go on from there.

Do you have any idea how stupid that statement is? Just as I believe that the Big Bang occurred, and that all of this universe erupted from that singularity, I also believe that Jesus was a real person. Of that there is NO doubt. Whether he is the Son of God or not is for religious people to discover for themselves. But that he existed is not in question.

To say he didn't is to ignore the history that does remain (and remember dear bobo, most of everything that has ever been written has been lost or destroyed) and to ignore the very nature of mankind, and how we interacts with others.

There are no absolute truths in science; all laws, theories and conclusions can become obsolete if they are found in contradiction with new evidence. However, ascientific theory is the highest honour any scientific principle can obtain, for they comprise all the evidence, laws and models relevant to an observed phenomena.

God isn't a theory because you have to have some scientific evidence for it to be that. All god is IS a hypothesis. The big bang is a scientific theory. Could it be wrong? Sure. But so far you can't even give us one shred of evidence for your god's existence. Pathetic. You just made it up. Today we don't get killed for calling you out on this but we did get killed for thousands of years. Why do you think the lie is so embedded into your brain? Your society/parents put it there. If we all believed in unicorns for thousands of years you'd be on USMB arguing for unicorns.

To be sure, and yet you ignore well established human behavior, and well known historical facts, that support the existence of a person known as Jesus. I'm agnostic silly boy, so don't go lumping me in with the religious folks. I AM a scientist however, and there is more evidence for the existence of Jesus than there is for the Big Bang.

As far as the existence of a God, however, there is neither evidence for, or against that too, is a fact.
You're half right.

Oh and I'm an agnostic athiest. I don't know if a creator created everything I just doubt it. And as for christianity I'm an atheist.

Either way if they are right you and I are going to hell. Lol

Go to whynogod.com and see plenty of "evidence" that proves gods made up. Watch the cosmos. Youtube Carl Sagan or find a podcast of atheists explaining it.

There really is no good evidence for even Jesus. Could be completely made up. I assume he existed but was just a man and he probably didn't say or do half the shit they say he did.

Forum List

Back