Proposed Bill Would Mandate North Dakota High School Seniors Pass Citizenship Test to Graduate

Even 25 years ago, civics education was headed towards PC. My boy, now 36, brought home his 5th grade Social Studies text. Being a history buff, I thumbed through it. I saw 5 pages on Martin Luther King and one paragraph on the US Constitution.

What information do you need to be a good citizen?

Know how your vote works
Understand the roles of levels of government
Understand the importance of taxation and how spending is determined

If the test is requiring you to know irrelevant historical information or government structures, I don't see the value in it

Know how your vote works

If the test is requiring you to know irrelevant historical information or government structures, I don't see the value in it
Obutthurt would fail.

Know how your vote works

Obutthurt would fail.

Our President could teach a doctorate class in it

Most teaparty and many repubs could not pass a citizenship test.

Given also that they ALWAYS put party over country, it would be a bit of a conflict of interest for them.

Know how your vote works

Lets look at the Questions

1. Who signs bills to become laws? Valid question
2. What did Susan B Anthony do? Who cares and how does it make you a better citizen
3. What ocean is on the East Coast? Retard question and doesn't make you a better citizen
4. Who is the current Speaker of the House? Valid question
5. Name one of the amendments about who can vote? Valid question
6. Who is the Commander in Chief? Valid question
7. Why does the flag have 13 stripes? Doesn't make you a better citizen
8. What do we call the first 10 amendments? Valid question
9. What ocean is on the West Coast? Retard question and doesn't make you a better citizen
10. What did the Declaration of Independence do? Valid question

Know how your vote works

Obutthurt would fail.

YOUR.president would need a teleprompter.

Know how your vote works

Obutthurt would fail.

Far from it

As a renowned constitutional scholar and Nobel prize winner he could do it in his sleep

"Here's an interesting piece of proposed legislation in the Peace Garden State: a bipartisan bill recently unveiled to the North Dakota legislature would require high school students to take and pass the same citizenship exam given to immigrants seeking naturalization in order to graduate.

North Dakota's first lady Betsy Dalrymple and state School Superintendent Kirsten Baesler unveiled a proposed bipartisan legislation on Monday that would require every high school students to get a passing grade on the civics exam to graduate.

Initiative spokesman Sam Stone says the goal is to enact similar laws in all states by 2017, when the Constitution turns 230 years old.

He says that eight states, including the Dakotas, are supporting the idea so far.

Backers say the goal is for North Dakota high school students to learn more about how American government works before they graduate.

People seeking to become naturalized U.S. citizens must correctly answer six out of 10 questions selected randomly from a possible 100. The questions are a mix of U.S. history, current events, and basic geography, and about nine out of 10 people attempting the test pass. If this proposed bill were to become law, North Dakota's high school students would have to pass a 100-question exam, although it would be up to individual schools as to how to implement this."
Proposed Bill Would Mandate North Dakota High School Seniors Pass Citizenship Test to Graduate - Christine Rousselle

Not 6 out of 10, but 90 out of 100. Bring it baby, start teaching Civics again.
It's a great idea, but when kids fail it and it risks their graduating with their friends, parents will threaten to sue....and the school districts will back down.

I'm for it. Maybe give young kids an idea of how hard it is for immigrants to pass the test and appreciate how lucky they are to be here.

Know how your vote works

Obutthurt would fail.

Far from it

As a renowned constitutional scholar and Nobel prize winner he could do it in his sleep
YOUR president? Is that what he said?

Why do rightwingers hate America?

(How hard are you laughing when you see a rightwinger accuse Obama of being anything other than the genius he is? - well, surely a genius compared to them)

Forum List

Back