Putin just legally annexed the Donbas region of Ukraine

The real question is, will the rest of the world allow Putin to get away with this? It feels like this could be Neville Chamberlain 2.0 if they do. Cuz I don't think Putin is done, he wants the rest of Ukraine too, sooner or later.

Ukrainian law is the one that counts in Ukraine, not some other country's.
Yes, Ukrainian law still applies to the country of Ukraine.
But the Donbas region is now legally part of Russia and is governed according to Russian law.

You don't have to support the war in Ukraine to understand the reasons that led Russia to say enough is enough.

When I see all the destruction in Ukraine, the dead ukrainian soldiers, the families leaving the country with nothing but their pets I feel sorry for them but this sadness does not change my mind.

I still believe the idea of surrounding Russia's western borders will go down in History as one of the biggest geopolitical blunders of the last century.

Putin, ever the master strategist, recently called up 300 thousand reserve solders to augment the Russian army fighting in Ukraine.
He did this before legally annexing the Donbas region and making it officially Russian territory.
Up until now, only around 20% of the Russian army was fighting in Ukraine.
But now the Russian army will have the overwhelming manpower to defend Russia's Donbas territory and easily defeat the Ukrainian forces if they continue to attack.
There's no doubt that Russia has upped the ante on the so far limited war.

Now we should expect that America will up the ante to match! However, nothing has changed on Russia's resolve to not accept defeat.

It's a pity that everybody wants to fight their own little armchair wars on this forum, and so there is very little useful analysis of the situation.

For example, the referendums going in Russia's favour have to be a big moral consideration for Russia.

But balance that with America's ability to win this war if it can be kept limited to non-nuclear warfare.

Where is the breaking point for Russia, at which they will strike back with whatever force it takes to win?

You don't have to support the war in Ukraine to understand the reasons that led Russia to say enough is enough.

When I see all the destruction in Ukraine, the dead ukrainian soldiers, the families leaving the country with nothing but their pets I feel sorry for them but this sadness does not change my mind.

I still believe the idea of surrounding Russia's western borders will go down in History as one of the biggest geopolitical blunders of the last century.
I don't see it as ending as a blunder. That's not one of the two options.

1. Nuclear world war.
2. One side achieves it's goal.

The real question is, will the rest of the world allow Putin to get away with this? It feels like this could be Neville Chamberlain 2.0 if they do. Cuz I don't think Putin is done, he wants the rest of Ukraine too, sooner or later.
He's not. There's Odessa, Nikolaev, Kharkov, Transnistria. All in due course.

I don't think Putin is done, he wants the rest of Ukraine too, sooner or later.
Putin stated at the start of the special military operation that his goal was to liberate the Russian people living in the Donbas region and other ethnic Russian population territories.
And that he had no interest in invading and occupying the entire country of Ukraine.

Putin stated at the start of the special military operation that his goal was to liberate the Russian people living in the Donbas region and other ethnic Russian population territories.
And that he had no interest in invading and occupying the entire country of Ukraine.

Then why did he attack Kiev?

I think that is total bullshit.
Russia put out a peace offer to stop the war, all Ukraine had to do was recognize the independence of those eastern provinces and promise to not join NATO. The Western countries refused to allow Ukraine to do it.

So now Russia is just going to annex it and that’s that.

Having a bunch of idiots in charge who are completely incompetent has consequences. Putin is playing chess and Western leaders are busy pushing the Climate Hoax. This is what you lefties voted for, so own it.

Eventually it just has to boil down to being a question of what the Donbass is worth?

For America, it's worth could become a topic for some serious discussion.
As of course it's worth for Russia is of the same seriousness.

Which side is more likely to accept a loss?

Russia put out a peace offer to stop the war, all Ukraine had to do was recognize the independence of those eastern provinces and promise to not join NATO. The Western countries refused to allow Ukraine to do it.

Having a bunch of idiots in charge who are completely incompetent has consequences. Putin is playing chess and Western leaders are busy pushing the Climate Hoax. This is what you lefties voted for, so own it.
Better that you understand the Minsk treaty and then speak of it as the starting point.

Turning to spamming and cheap insults gets you nowhere.

So, Russia offered that if Ukraine just surrenders what they demand, they will have peace

Forum List

Back