Quinnipiac Reveals MOST Americans consider Snowden a hero.

Excerpt:

National (US) Poll - July 10, 2013 - U.S. Voters Say Snowden Is Whi | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

merican voters say 55 - 34 percent that Edward Snowden is a whistle-blower, rather than a traitor, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today.

In a massive shift in attitudes, voters say 45 - 40 percent the government's anti-terrorism efforts go too far restricting civil liberties, a reversal from a January 10, 2010, survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University when voters said 63 - 25 percent that such activities didn't go far enough to adequately protect the country.

Almost every party, gender, income, education, age and income group regards Snowden as a whistle-blower rather than a traitor. The lone exception is black voters, with 43 percent calling him a traitor and 42 percent calling him a whistle-blower.

There is a gender gap on counter-terrorism efforts as men say 54 - 34 percent they have gone too far and women say 47 - 36 percent they have not gone far enough. There is little difference among Democrats and Republicans who are about evenly divided. Independent voters say 49 - 36 percent that counter-terrorism measures have gone too far.

Some of the largest growth in those concerned about the threat to civil liberties is among men and Republicans, groups historically more likely to be supportive of governmental anti- terrorism efforts.

"The massive swing in public opinion about civil liberties and governmental anti- terrorism efforts, and the public view that Edward Snowden is more whistle-blower than traitor are the public reaction and apparent shock at the extent to which the government has gone in trying to prevent future terrorist incidents," said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

"The fact that there is little difference now along party lines about the overall anti- terrorism effort and civil liberties and about Snowden is in itself unusual in a country sharply divided along political lines about almost everything. Moreover, the verdict that Snowden is not a traitor goes against almost the unified view of the nation's political establishment."

Those who want to revere an American hero need only visit Arlington National Cemetery, or anyone of our nation's National Cemeteries, hero's are replete there. Many gave their very life to defend the Republic, and some had doubts about what they were asked to do. Snowden besmirched their bravery and is a traitor to all living Americans, and our honored dead, as our those who seem intent on bringing civil war to our country.

I don't think many of them died so that the government could create a massive surveillance state to use against its own citizens and the rest of the world. Your blatant attempt at an appeal to emotion notwithstanding.

First, a full investigation needs to begin to determine if Snowden told the truth. No question that Snowden broke rules/laws to do this, but Obama himself said that whistle blowers are needed to expose corruption in government. Sadly, that is true since no one is really keeping tabs on government. The media gave that up long ago.

Snowden gave up his life and will never go back to his family or enjoy a normal life here in the states. His choices are few, either seek sanctuary wherever he can or come back and most certainly spend the rest of his life in prison.

If he did come back to face the music, should he be given a light sentence for exposing some criminals in government? Not many are taking a hard look at the corruption itself and most media are focusing on the messenger. The Obama regime might even want to kill the messenger.

Heads should be rolling, but the administration and much of the media are more interested in bringing the whistle blower to, um, justice. I think the case is currently being tried in the media, though I'm sure they would have the courtesy to at least go through the motions of a real trial to make it look like Snowden's rights actually mattered. Whether or not they get the chance to deal with Snowden, the people must deal with what government has done. Of course, this is yet another trampling of our rights matter that is getting swept under the rug, so I won't hold my breath.

Obama talks tough regarding capturing Snowden and I hope some media or a special committee takes the Obama administration to task for the treatment of the people in this country. Just because Snowden broke the law, it doesn't mean we should ignore the message. It's sad that anyone has to go to such lengths to inform the people about what government is doing. Government should not lie to the people in the first place and it's gotten to the point where drastic measures need to be taken to expose them.

Snowden merely did what the media and other watchdogs failed to do. Unlike reporters, Snowden won't receive any awards for a job well done.

In truth he leaked, among other things, a top secret court order to gather phone records from one company(But I'll bet all major phone companies receive these type of orders every 3 months too). If You don't like top secret court orders demand your congressmen repeal relevant portions of the Patriot Act.

True. But usually with a different twist on the topic.

This snowden dude gets nothing but love affair topics.

As he should, you Loyalist. Even if you're opposed to Obama, you are clearly aligned with the government, via the GOP instead. Loyalist.

How hard is it to get through your THICK PARTISAN SKULLS that you can be AGAINST the policies of spying WITHOUT idolizing some fucking low level snitch that subsequently runs like a fucking coward?

Or are you all just the damage Obama at ANY expense crowd?

"Running like a fucking coward", whether that characterization is accurate or not, is simply not related. Seems to me the true "cowardice" would have been to blow no whistles, reveal no underbellies, i.e. take no risks. Whatever Snowden's actions after the fact, he had to know that some sacrifice, whether loss of safe harbor, loss of freedom, loss of citizenship or loss of life, would be the consequence, and yet he went ahead with it. That just doesn't compute to "coward".

Bear and Pogo make a valid argumwnt against the characterization coward. Having said that the term hero is not appropriate either and is an insult to any man or woman who gave their lives in service to our country be they military or police or firemen or whatever. Heroism is a selfless act commited for the lives or safety of others. Exposing uncle Sam for one of numerous shitty programs is not heroic. And depending on his motives may be downright treasonous.

Bear and Pogo make a valid argumwnt against the characterization coward. Having said that the term hero is not appropriate either and is an insult to any man or woman who gave their lives in service to our country be they military or police or firemen or whatever. Heroism is a selfless act commited for the lives or safety of others. Exposing uncle Sam for one of numerous shitty programs is not heroic. And depending on his motives may be downright treasonous.

yes, it is. Uncle Sam is very vindictive

Those who want to revere an American hero need only visit Arlington National Cemetery, or anyone of our nation's National Cemeteries, hero's are replete there. Many gave their very life to defend the Republic, and some had doubts about what they were asked to do. Snowden besmirched their bravery and is a traitor to all living Americans, and our honored dead, as our those who seem intent on bringing civil war to our country.

Yes, they gave their life in defense of the Constitution of the United States, not Obama or the NSA.

Now why don't you go chant "Hail Satan" with all your fetus devouring friends like Dr. Gosnell.

I don't care. I don't throw the word hero around lightly. I see no reason to think he is a hero. Im very glad he exposed the surviellence, but that doesn't make him a hero to me. Especially when he went on to expose spying on other nations.

I don't care. I don't throw the word hero around lightly. I see no reason to think he is a hero. Im very glad he exposed the surviellence, but that doesn't make him a hero to me. Especially when he went on to expose spying on other nations.

Because other nations didn't know that we spied on them... lolololol ... the international banks put pressure on China to make him reveal that so they could globally smear him.

If it wasn't for Snowden all y ou fucking libtards would still be calling me and many other Patriot "conspiracy theorists" while it is all happening in plain fucking sight.

What do you think those Fusion Centers were for? Us Patriots KNEW about the NSA Utah data cetner LONG before the Snowden leak, but you all called us "conspiracy theorists" even thought it was in PLAIN SIGHT and REVEALED and ADMITTED by the government ITSELF.

So the question is, is Snowden didn't' reveal anything new, why is he currently a target of the government?

Oh, because he didn't speak about it "correctly, ' you know "politically correct" all government drones are supposed to sound the horn of praise and honor of all these liberty annihilating police.

Snowden's "crime" is speaking negatively about a government policy, because everyone who has been PAYING ATTENTION ALREADY KNEW THIS WAS HAPPENING, BECAUSE IT WAS ADMITTED TO BY THE GOVERNMENT PRIOR.

Because other nations didn't know that we spied on them... lolololol ... the international banks put pressure on China to make him reveal that so they could globally smear him.

If it wasn't for Snowden all y ou fucking libtards would still be calling me and many other Patriot "conspiracy theorists" while it is all happening in plain fucking sight.

What do you think those Fusion Centers were for? Us Patriots KNEW about the NSA Utah data cetner LONG before the Snowden leak, but you all called us "conspiracy theorists" even thought it was in PLAIN SIGHT and REVEALED and ADMITTED by the government ITSELF.

So the question is, is Snowden didn't' reveal anything new, why is he currently a target of the government?

Oh, because he didn't speak about it "correctly, ' you know "politically correct" all government drones are supposed to sound the horn of praise and honor of all these liberty annihilating police.

Snowden's "crime" is speaking negatively about a government policy, because everyone who has been PAYING ATTENTION ALREADY KNEW THIS WAS HAPPENING, BECAUSE IT WAS ADMITTED TO BY THE GOVERNMENT PRIOR.

Now Avatar is a lib?

You're a bigger moron than rderp

Snowden's crime is speaking about security information he promised not to speak about. Debateable about whether that is a just law or not.

How is this not a selfless act? He could have easily just sat back, collected a fairly sizable paycheck, and enjoyed Hawaii. Instead, he tanked his entire life in an effort to expose the crimes of the government in an attempt to help people regain their liberty and privacy.

I don't think many of them died so that the government could create a massive surveillance state to use against its own citizens and the rest of the world. Your blatant attempt at an appeal to emotion notwithstanding.

Really? You do know that members of the greatest generation while on active duty had their letters home censored before being mailed, and film taken and evaluated before it was returned to them. Civilians too. those working in defense industries were closely monitored and the wrong comment could get one fired or worse ("Loose lips sink ships). Do you think any of this is new? Only the technology is new, and anyone who was aware knew the NSA was Big Brother for years.

I don't like it but I despise the events at the WTC and Boston Marathon. In my opinion Snowden is a criminal and needs to be arrested, tried and if convicted put away for a long long time.

Last edited:

Really? You do know that members of the greatest generation while on active duty had their letters home censored before being mailed, and film taken and evaluated before it was returned to them. Civilians too. those working in defense industries were closely monitored and the wrong comment could get one fired or worse ("Loose lips sink ships). Do you think any of this is new? Only the technology is new, and anyone who was aware knew the NSA was Big Brother for years.

I don't like it but I despise the events at the WTC and Boston Marathon. In my opinion Snowden is a criminal and needs to be arrested, tried and if convicted put away for a long long time.

So you actually think the fact that the government has always spied on people means that people actually joined the war effort, or, more likely, were forced to join the war effort against their will through the draft, to defend the right of their government to spy on them? Somehow I'm willing to bet that number was very small. Regardless, trying to invoke the troops in an effort to bolster your critique of Snowden with a transparent appeal to emotion is just sad.

As for WTC and Boston, the NSA was around during both of those tragedies, and failed to stop them. This is not about security; it's about government power over the people and the rest of the world merely masquerading as "security."

So you actually think the fact that the government has always spied on people means that people actually joined the war effort, or, more likely, were forced to join the war effort against their will through the draft, to defend the right of their government to spy on them? Somehow I'm willing to bet that number was very small. Regardless, trying to invoke the troops in an effort to bolster your critique of Snowden with a transparent appeal to emotion is just sad.

As for WTC and Boston, the NSA was around during both of those tragedies, and failed to stop them. This is not about security; it's about government power over the people and the rest of the world merely masquerading as "security."

It's impossible to prove a negative, as you well know. You're also being hysterical, the actions taken are about security and protecting the country from enemies, foreign and domestic. Rational people know that billions of e-mails posted every 24 hours cannot be read and that only those few which are sent or received from overseas and are then kicked out by the algorithm devised to solve the problem of terrorism are reviewed by people.

But continue to pretend the impossible, it meets the needs of libertarians so desperate to me noticed.

It's impossible to prove a negative, as you well know. You're also being hysterical, the actions taken are about security and protecting the country from enemies, foreign and domestic. Rational people know that billions of e-mails posted every 24 hours cannot be read and that only those few which are sent or received from overseas and are then kicked out by the algorithm devised to solve the problem of terrorism are reviewed by people.

But continue to pretend the impossible, it meets the needs of libertarians so desperate to me noticed.

What negative did I ask you to prove?

Yeah, except we know that it's not just emails going out of the country that are read. Emails that are "mistakenly" intercepted from within the country are also stored away. Nor would it be justification for the program if that were the case. The U.S. government has no right to spy on the communications of anybody in the world. It's not just the privacy of Americans that matters.

But continue to pretend there's no story here; it meets the needs of partisan hacks who don't want to criticize Obama.

"hero" was kjust the product of the original poster - NOT the poll.

And polls are divided on whether or not he should face prosecution. Some polls show a majority favor it.

I don't think he exposed anything that was not already known by those who have been paying attention. Of course he did unload his laptops for the Chinese and Russians.

Forum List

Back