Quote for the day

9710cf1e04c9521b8eba58eb9d9f5aca.jpg

Thanks for sharing, ironically, it comes from the Spanish language! (Negro) - I never knew this, but your post had me interested to look it up!

Negro means "black" in both Spanish and Portuguese languages, being derived from the Latin word niger of the same meaning. The term "negro", literally the Spanish and Portuguese to refer to Black Africans and people with that heritage used “black.” The word negro, in Greek, is derived from the root word necro, meaning dead.

Thanks for sharing, ironically, it comes from the Spanish language! (Negro) - I never knew this, but your post had me interested to look it up!

Negro means "black" in both Spanish and Portuguese languages, being derived from the Latin word niger of the same meaning. The term "negro", literally the Spanish and Portuguese to refer to Black Africans and people with that heritage used “black.” The word negro, in Greek, is derived from the root word necro, meaning dead.
Yeah somewhere along the way niger turned into necro and hence the negative connotation. There are other interesting words like negus that tie in too. Negrito was the world for the small Black people that first inhabited the planet world wide. They still exist in places like the Philippines, India, Malaysia, and other ares in southeast asia.

I Think it may be a Christian name for the time Christianity 'discovered' Africa and it's population and began to spread by missionaries.
There is also the older name (Read more) when by biblical reference a poor man is considered dead*(ask me for links - Jacob and Esau) we can easily determine they share a mutual origin up to the latest name in Arabic(Latin influenced) 'Abed' - which stands for slave..

I Think it may be a Christian name for the time Christianity 'discovered' Africa and it's population and began to spread by missionaries.
There is also the older name (Read more) when by biblical reference a poor man is considered dead*(ask me for links - Jacob and Esau) we can easily determine they share a mutual origin up to the latest name in Arabic(Latin influenced) 'Abed' - which stands for slave..
Abed means slave or servant to god.

Abd'allah does (in different forms can be Abdullah Abdulaziz (Slave/Servant of the mighty), 'Abed' means just slave and is the Arabic term for a black person.

Abd'allah does (in different forms can be Abdullah Abdulaziz (Slave/Servant of the mighty), 'Abed' means just slave and is the Arabic term for a black person.
Its a recent term. The original meaning is servant to god. Thats why so many of their family and tribal names start with Abd. It was a term of honor going back to their Black roots before light skinned Arabs invaded.

Forum List

Back