Re-Evaluating Newt..

Not enough time. I believe establishing residency for a Presidential election takes a while.

I have to wonder, though, if a ticket with the two of them might not do well enough to get away with throwing a few electors Obama's way. Not sure I'm clear enough on the inherent problem with "same-state candidates" to say one way or another.

There is an interesting discussion on the President and Vice President being from the same state on Snopes here:
snopes.com: President and Vice-President Must Be From Different States

Apparently there is nothing in the Constitution or other law to prevent it, but it would make for some interesting activity in the Electoral College.

12th Amendment:

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and all persons voted for as Vice-President and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate.

The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Before the 12th it was Article II Clause 1, Section 3:

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

From Answers.com

According to usconstitution.net, "A. The Constitution doesn't say that they cannot be from the same state. However, the 12th Amendment does say that electors may not vote for a President from their state and a Vice President also from their state. This issue came up in the 2000 presidential campaign when Texas Governor George W. Bush chose fellow Texas resident Richard Cheney to be his running mate. Cheney, who had served in Congress as a Representative from Wyoming, quickly changed his legal residence back to Wyoming to avoid the possible conflict for electors from Texas. Court challenges to Cheney's change of residency were denied.It is unlikely that two people from the same state would ever be nominated by a major political party. It is constitutionally possible however. If it ever came to pass, the party that won the ticket's state would likely suggest to the electors that their votes for the President go to the presidential nominee and that the votes for the Vice President be given in honor of a party official. Electors in all other states, as mentioned above, would be free to vote for both of the party's nominees."

All that means is that the electors from Georgia would have to vote for another ticket. Doesn't mean both people on one ticket CAN'T be from one state, although in practice that's how it works out, since no party wants to voluntarily surrender an entire state's electoral slate.

There is an interesting discussion on the President and Vice President being from the same state on Snopes here:
snopes.com: President and Vice-President Must Be From Different States

Apparently there is nothing in the Constitution or other law to prevent it, but it would make for some interesting activity in the Electoral College.

12th Amendment:

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and all persons voted for as Vice-President and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate.

The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Before the 12th it was Article II Clause 1, Section 3:

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

From Answers.com

According to usconstitution.net, "A. The Constitution doesn't say that they cannot be from the same state. However, the 12th Amendment does say that electors may not vote for a President from their state and a Vice President also from their state. This issue came up in the 2000 presidential campaign when Texas Governor George W. Bush chose fellow Texas resident Richard Cheney to be his running mate. Cheney, who had served in Congress as a Representative from Wyoming, quickly changed his legal residence back to Wyoming to avoid the possible conflict for electors from Texas. Court challenges to Cheney's change of residency were denied.It is unlikely that two people from the same state would ever be nominated by a major political party. It is constitutionally possible however. If it ever came to pass, the party that won the ticket's state would likely suggest to the electors that their votes for the President go to the presidential nominee and that the votes for the Vice President be given in honor of a party official. Electors in all other states, as mentioned above, would be free to vote for both of the party's nominees."

All that means is that the electors from Georgia would have to vote for another ticket. Doesn't mean both people on one ticket CAN'T be from one state, although in practice that's how it works out, since no party wants to voluntarily surrender an entire state's electoral slate.
Pretty much. :)

So . . . I've been reading some reviews of the Gingrich-Cain debate, and it certainly seems I'm not the only one who thinks it's a damned shame they're from the same state, so we probably wouldn't be able to put them on the same ticket.

I found the suggestion of tax credits to doctors for providing documented charitable work, as opposed to our bloated bureaucratic nightmare - or, God forbid, Obamacare - intriguing. I was also fascinated by the notion of abolishing the Congressional Budget Office entirely and finding another, more realistic way of measuring government performance and predicting the outcome of policies.

I was bothered, however, as reviewer after reviewer seemed to dismiss Gingrich - after pointing out that he clearly has the better grasp of information, statistics, and history - as "too pedantic and lecturing" and decided Cain was better because he was "warm and inspiring". Dear God, this country is in trouble if that's really the priority.

That's not an obstacle. Cheney simply changed his state of residence.

I hope that you get your Gingrich-Cain ticket. :eusa_angel:

So . . . I've been reading some reviews of the Gingrich-Cain debate, and it certainly seems I'm not the only one who thinks it's a damned shame they're from the same state, so we probably wouldn't be able to put them on the same ticket.

I found the suggestion of tax credits to doctors for providing documented charitable work, as opposed to our bloated bureaucratic nightmare - or, God forbid, Obamacare - intriguing. I was also fascinated by the notion of abolishing the Congressional Budget Office entirely and finding another, more realistic way of measuring government performance and predicting the outcome of policies.

I was bothered, however, as reviewer after reviewer seemed to dismiss Gingrich - after pointing out that he clearly has the better grasp of information, statistics, and history - as "too pedantic and lecturing" and decided Cain was better because he was "warm and inspiring". Dear God, this country is in trouble if that's really the priority.

No, Cheney really was from Wyoming. He just changed his mailing address from Texas back to his home state where he still owned property and maintained a residence. The Democrats challenged it but lost in court.

Neither Gingrich nor Cain would likely be able to do that as neither have a home/permanent residence anywhere other than Georgia.

No, Cheney really was from Wyoming. He just changed his mailing address from Texas back to his home state where he still owned property and maintained a residence. The Democrats challenged it but lost in court.

Neither Gingrich nor Cain would likely be able to do that as neither have a home/permanent residence anywhere other than Georgia.

You do realize you just backed up what I said, right?

Cheney had his legal residence as Texas.

He was the head of the VP search committee.

He found himself. :rofl:

He changed his residence to Wyoming to dodge the requirement.

I would be surprised to find that Cain only has one home.

You do realize you just backed up what I said, right?

Cheney had his legal residence as Texas.

He was the head of the VP search committee.

He found himself. :rofl:

He changed his residence to Wyoming to dodge the requirement.

I would be surprised to find that Cain only has one home.

Yes, but I also explained that Cheney is FROM Wyoming--that was his home state--and he had only recently changed his mailing address to a Texas residence and obtained a Texas drivers' license. Because it was necessary to be from a different state than Texas in order to be on the GOP ticket, all he did was change his mailing address back to a primary Wyoming address he already had. THAT is what made it legal. As was ruled by the court when that was challenged.

Neither Gingrich nor Cain have had primary residences anywhere but Georgia for a long time now. I don't know whether Cain would have time to establish a new legal residence before the GOP nominee has to name a running mate. Actually he probably does. But Cain is not running for Veep. He's running for President. And if he is the nominee and it isn't feasible to name Gingrich (who I think he would want), then I am pretty sure Gingrich could have any appointment that he wanted in a Cain cabinet.

Yes, but I also explained that Cheney is FROM Wyoming--that was his home state--and he had only recently changed his mailing address to a Texas residence and obtained a Texas drivers' license. Because it was necessary to be from a different state than Texas in order to be on the GOP ticket, all he did was change his mailing address back to a primary Wyoming address he already had. THAT is what made it legal. As was ruled by the court when that was challenged.

Neither Gingrich nor Cain have had primary residences anywhere but Georgia for a long time now. I don't know whether Cain would have time to establish a new legal residence before the GOP nominee has to name a running mate. Actually he probably does. But Cain is not running for Veep. He's running for President. And if he is the nominee and it isn't feasible to name Gingrich (who I think he would want), then I am pretty sure Gingrich could have any appointment that he wanted in a Cain cabinet.

Cheney changed his residence quite easily TO Texas and FROM Texas.

Hillary Clinton bought a house in NY.

Being "from" the same state presents no obstacle to Gingrich or Cain.

It's really amazing how, no matter how ignorant I believe you to be, you always manage to prove yourself even more ignorant.

Cheney didn't "just" change his state of residence, moron. He changed his voter registration to a state he'd maintained a residence in for years, a state which he represented in Congress for over a decade.

Much as you'd like to believe carpetbagging is a common practice, it's pretty much just Hillary. Sorry.

Cheney changed his residence quite easily TO Texas and FROM Texas.

Hillary Clinton bought a house in NY.

Being "from" the same state presents no obstacle to Gingrich or Cain.

Cheney changed his voter registration, license, and mail easily because he had been maintaining dual residences for some years previous. He was every bit as much a Wyoming resident as he was a Texas resident. More so, I would say, since he grew up there and served in Congress from there.

Cain and Gingrich, on the other hand - as has been pounded into your empty rock skull already - do not maintain dual residences. They are both JUST from Georgia.

It's really amazing how, no matter how ignorant I believe you to be, you always manage to prove yourself even more ignorant.

Cheney didn't "just" change his state of residence, moron. He changed his voter registration to a state he'd maintained a residence in for years, a state which he represented in Congress for over a decade.

Much as you'd like to believe carpetbagging is a common practice, it's pretty much just Hillary. Sorry.

In other words, IOKIYAR*.

It's OK if you're a Republican.

It's completely escaped your notice that Cheney changed his residence from his beloved home state of Wyoming to Texas...and then back again...for the same carpetbagging reasons you're attacking Hillary for...:cuckoo:

Again, this is not an obstacle. People can move. Cain and Gingrich can move with no problem.

However marginally interesting the issue is moot; Gingrich won’t be the nominee.

Please don't burst my bubble. I love the idea of Newt going down in flames.

It seems like an archaic requirement anyway.

It probably is, but it's also the constitution.

I doubt Gingrich will be the nominee, because I don't think he has the resources to compete.

I still think that after Cain fades, it will come down to Perry and Romney. Romney will get it if the establishment has a brain tumor for breakfast and decides to ignore the fact most of Mitt's own party doesn't like him and shoves him down their throats.

Still Obama's got a major problem. Unemployment is not going to get below 8% by next November. It might even go up. 7.4% is the floor. You simply do not get re-elected with the number that high.

In other words, IOKIYAR*.

It's OK if you're a Republican.

It's completely escaped your notice that Cheney changed his residence from his beloved home state of Wyoming to Texas...and then back again...for the same carpetbagging reasons you're attacking Hillary for...:cuckoo:

Again, this is not an obstacle. People can move. Cain and Gingrich can move with no problem.

No, YOU seem to think IOKIICPRDIT. It's okay if I can pretend Republicans did it too.

No matter how you try to pretend otherwise, Cheney maintaining two residences - one in the state he grew up in and served in Congress from - and registering to vote where he happened to be during the election is a far cry from Hillary buying a house in a state she'd NEVER lived in a couple of months before an election.

No, YOU seem to think IOKIICPRDIT. It's okay if I can pretend Republicans did it too.

No matter how you try to pretend otherwise, Cheney maintaining two residences - one in the state he grew up in and served in Congress from - and registering to vote where he happened to be during the election is a far cry from Hillary buying a house in a state she'd NEVER lived in a couple of months before an election.

Have you stopped to figure out why Cheney changed his residence to Texas?

It probably is, but it's also the constitution.

It's in the USC, but it's no problem to circumvent.

IF you can get a court to agree, yes.

And that's the point, isn't it? The 2000 result happened because there was an unclear point as to what constitutes a valid vote count, and a court had to decide it. It could have well decided it the other way.

The question is, are you going to spend half a billion dollars trying to be president, and then have a judge mess it up on you? Really? Why take the chance?

Cheney was on solid ground claiming to be from Wyoming. He had served as a Congressman from there. Newt and Herman would have a harder time making that case.

Who was the Republican nominee who ran against Obama in the 2004 Illinois Senate election?

Alan Keyes...

Actually, he was the Republican candidate. The "nominee" elected by the voters of our state was Jack Ryan, who was sandbagged by the Chicago Media and the Combine in Springfield.

when it came time to vote for a candidate, I wrote in Jack Ryan.

And when it came to a choice between Blago and Judy Baar Topinka who organized the sandbagging to clear the way for her own failed run for governor, I wrote in Jack Ryan.

Jack Ryan is my go to write in when I think both candidates suck..

Romney vs. Obama.

JACK RYAN!

Forum List

Back