Read The Pre-Riot Transcript

Rather than listen to your side's version of events and ignore the other side's version of events, it would be a good idea to read Donald Trump's speech to the crowd prior to the riot for yourselves.

Here it is: Donald Trump Speech "Save America" Rally Transcript January 6 - Rev

Read ALL of it. The whole thing.

Then ask yourself if it is an incitement to riot. Ask yourselves honestly.

Ask yourself if this kind of speech should be banned or against the law.

I have heard much worse rhetoric on the radio and on TV. Much worse. Much worse.

All Trump's speech is is a long list of old grievances and new lies and new fraud. At no point does he tell the crowd to behave in a violent manner.

In fact, he plainly says, "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

Donald Trump's biggest failing on January 6 was in not immediately speaking out against the violence. He waited hours.

This is a guy who is obsessed with TV. He was watching live TV coverage of the event and couldn't be troubled to be pulled away to calm the crowd down.

If I were a member of Congress, I would support censure but not impeachment. This is a textbook rush to judgement.

Thank you, and God bless America.
How we're they suppose to 'take their country back'?

How were they suppose to 'stop the steal'?

Do you think it was just one day's speach? AND NOT his tweets building up the 6th, or his rallies where he prepped his followers to turn against Pence? Thus, the noose and hundreds chanting HANG MIKE PENCE.....

Why did he tell his flock, this day was the turning day, for him to be President a second term,

And tell them the 6th was going to be WILD?

Do you really think Mr Internet CIC didn't know what his flock was planning and saying they were going to do?

I disagree with you.
"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." - Donald J. Trump

Is "We shall overcome" an incitement to riot? Is "We shall march on Washington" an incitement to riot?

Rather than listen to your side's version of events and ignore the other side's version of events, it would be a good idea to read Donald Trump's speech to the crowd prior to the riot for yourselves.

I have heard much worse rhetoric on the radio and on TV. Much worse. Much worse.

All Trump's speech is is a long list of old grievances and new lies and new fraud. At no point does he tell the crowd to behave in a violent manner.

In fact, he plainly says, "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

Donald Trump's biggest failing on January 6 was in not immediately speaking out against the violence. He waited hours.

This is a guy who is obsessed with TV. He was watching live TV coverage of the event and couldn't be troubled to be pulled away to calm the crowd down.

If I were a member of Congress, I would support censure but not impeachment. This is a textbook rush to judgement.

Do you think it was just one day's speach? AND NOT his tweets building up the 6th, or his rallies where he prepped his followers to turn against Pence? Thus, the noose and hundreds chanting HANG MIKE PENCE.....

Why did he tell his flock, this day was the turning day, for him to be President a second term,

Do you really think Mr Internet CIC didn't know what his flock was planning and saying they were going to do?

I disagree with you.
"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." - Donald J. Trump

Is "We shall overcome" an incitement to riot? Is "We shall march on Washington" an incitement to riot?

This didn't help either.
"If we're wrong, we will be made fools of, but if we're right a lot of them will go to jail," Giuliani told rally-goers on Jan. 6 before they marched on the Capitol. "Let's have a trial by combat." Rudy
“Today is the day American patriots start taking down names and kicking ass," Brooks said, adding, “Our ancestors sacrificed their blood, their sweat, their tears, their fortunes and sometimes their lives to give us, their descendants, an America that is the greatest nation in world history." He then asked the audience if they were “willing to do the same.” Senator Mo Brooks

All Trump's speech is is a long list of old grievances and new lies and new fraud
It's the cumulative impact of months of lies and conspiracy theories. This is all on tRump.
I would ask you to read post #5.
Pure sophistry basically vilifying the wisdom of not allowing people to falsely cry "fire" in a crowded venue.

This falls squarely at the feet of dOnald j tRump and his enablers. Sorry, but that's a fact.

To my eye, the pitch rose dramatically during the last three minutes, as he said things like:

" we got rid of catch and release, we got rid of all of the stuff that we had to live with. But now the caravans, they think Biden’s getting in, the caravans are forming again. They want to come in again and rip off our country. Can’t let it happen. As this enormous crowd shows, we have truth and justice on our side. ”

But we also may examine it within the context of his continual grooming of his followers:

I disagree with you.

One line out of the entire speach to cover his ass.

The next time he told them to March down there, he told them he would do it with them...March down there with them, another lie...

His flock knew nothing about Pence' s duties on the 6th.... Trump is the one at his rallies and in tweets telling them a lie, that Pence was going to give the presidency to Trump, and told them, if Pence didn't, the he wouldn't like Pence anymore blah blah blah.... telling his flock, he gave the okay to go after pence.

Trump spent 8 hours with Pence the day before, berating him, to do as he said, refuse to count Biden's certified state electors....Pence said he could not, because it was unconstitutional.....

Trump then threatened pence, and told him he would regret it, in his best Mafioso voice.....

As the crowd was walking down to the capitol, it was announce on social media, that Pence was not doing as Trump asked..... by the time they arrived at the capitol they were in a fury and began beating up the police and smashing out Windows to get to Pence and to congress critters.....

Trump twee t ed out he loved them, as they were breaking down doors and putting a noose up for pence.

Think carefully about the kind of speech we want to censor.

Think very carefully.

If anyone could point out an intermediate and yet a tenable position between the complete independence and the entire servitude of opinion, I should perhaps be inclined to adopt it, but the difficulty is to discover this intermediate position. Intending to correct the licentiousness of the press and to restore the use of orderly language, you first try the offender by a jury; but if the jury acquits him, the opinion which was that of a single individual becomes the opinion of the whole country. Too much and too little has therefore been done; go farther, then. You bring the delinquent before permanent magistrates; but even here the cause must be heard before it can be decided; and the very principles which no book would have ventured to avow are blazoned forth in the pleadings, and what was obscurely hinted at in a single composition is thus repeated in a multitude of other publications. The language is only the expression and, if I may so speak, the body of the thought, but it is not the thought itself. Tribunals may condemn the body, but the sense, the spirit of the work is too subtle for their authority. Too much has still been done to recede, too little to attain your end; you must go still farther. Establish a censorship of the press. But the tongue of the public speaker will still make itself heard, and your purpose is not yet accomplished; you have only increased the mischief. Thought is not, like physical strength, dependent upon the number of its agents; nor can authors be counted like the troops that compose an army. On the contrary, the authority of a principle is often increased by the small number of men by whom it is expressed. The words of one strong-minded man addressed to the passions of a listening assembly have more power than the vociferations of a thousand orators; and if it be allowed to speak freely in any one public place, the consequence is the same as if free speaking was allowed in every village. The liberty of speech must therefore be destroyed as well as the liberty of the press. And now you have succeeded, everybody is reduced to silence. But your object was to repress the abuses of liberty, and you are brought to the feet of a despot. You have been led from the extreme of independence to the extreme of servitude without finding a single tenable position on the way at which you could stop.

Tocqueville: Book 1 Chapter 11
There is nothing wrong with Tocqueville's argument; the problem is with the Article of Impeachment. It is weak sauce. What Trump has done during his term is masterful in undermining truth, nursing a cult-like following and slowly but surely escalating the dialogue to open hostility toward all who criticize him/them. The Jan 6th speech taken alone can't meet the bar, imo, but in context, it was plenty.

However, I think the folks who stormed the Capitol certainly knew they were going to do it before the speech. The thousands who marched along may not have thought that way. They didn't go inside, but many who hadn't necessarily thought about it before milled the steps and climbed the scaffolding and got caught up in the spectacle. That's what happens with mob mentality, which you know.

The Article doesn't go as far as it should. I believe he should definitely be prevented from attempting to take office again.

The article of impeachment, set forth in House Resolution 24, states:

• "prior to the joint session of Congress held on January 6, 2021, to count the votes of the electoral college, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the presidential election results were fraudulent and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by state or federal officials;
  • "shortly before the joint session commenced, President Trump reiterated false claims to a crowd near the White House and willfully made statements to the crowd that encouraged and foreseeably resulted in lawless action at the Capitol;
  • "members of the crowd, incited by President Trump, unlawfully breached and vandalized the Capitol and engaged in other violent, destructive, and seditious acts, including the killing of a law enforcement officer;
  • "President Trump's conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the presidential election, which included a threatening phone call to the Secretary of State of Georgia on January 2, 2021;
  • "President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government, threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coequal branch of government; and
  • "by such conduct, President Trump warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold U.S. office."

Think very carefully.

If anyone could point out an intermediate and yet a tenable position between the complete independence and the entire servitude of opinion, I should perhaps be inclined to adopt it, but the difficulty is to discover this intermediate position. Intending to correct the licentiousness of the press and to restore the use of orderly language, you first try the offender by a jury; but if the jury acquits him, the opinion which was that of a single individual becomes the opinion of the whole country. Too much and too little has therefore been done; go farther, then. You bring the delinquent before permanent magistrates; but even here the cause must be heard before it can be decided; and the very principles which no book would have ventured to avow are blazoned forth in the pleadings, and what was obscurely hinted at in a single composition is thus repeated in a multitude of other publications. The language is only the expression and, if I may so speak, the body of the thought, but it is not the thought itself. Tribunals may condemn the body, but the sense, the spirit of the work is too subtle for their authority. Too much has still been done to recede, too little to attain your end; you must go still farther. Establish a censorship of the press. But the tongue of the public speaker will still make itself heard, and your purpose is not yet accomplished; you have only increased the mischief. Thought is not, like physical strength, dependent upon the number of its agents; nor can authors be counted like the troops that compose an army. On the contrary, the authority of a principle is often increased by the small number of men by whom it is expressed. The words of one strong-minded man addressed to the passions of a listening assembly have more power than the vociferations of a thousand orators; and if it be allowed to speak freely in any one public place, the consequence is the same as if free speaking was allowed in every village. The liberty of speech must therefore be destroyed as well as the liberty of the press. And now you have succeeded, everybody is reduced to silence. But your object was to repress the abuses of liberty, and you are brought to the feet of a despot. You have been led from the extreme of independence to the extreme of servitude without finding a single tenable position on the way at which you could stop.

There is nothing wrong with Tocqueville's argument; the problem is with the Article of Impeachment. It is weak sauce. What Trump has done during his term is masterful in undermining truth, nursing a cult-like following and slowly but surely escalating the dialogue to open hostility toward all who criticize him/them. The Jan 6th speech taken alone can't meet the bar, imo, but in context, it was plenty.

However, I think the folks who stormed the Capitol certainly knew they were going to do it before the speech. The thousands who marched along may not have thought that way. They didn't go inside, but many who hadn't necessarily thought about it before milled the steps and climbed the scaffolding and got caught up in the spectacle. That's what happens with mob mentality, which you know.

The Article doesn't go as far as it should. I believe he should definitely be prevented from attempting to take office again.

• "prior to the joint session of Congress held on January 6, 2021, to count the votes of the electoral college, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the presidential election results were fraudulent and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by state or federal officials;
  • "shortly before the joint session commenced, President Trump reiterated false claims to a crowd near the White House and willfully made statements to the crowd that encouraged and foreseeably resulted in lawless action at the Capitol;
  • "members of the crowd, incited by President Trump, unlawfully breached and vandalized the Capitol and engaged in other violent, destructive, and seditious acts, including the killing of a law enforcement officer;
  • "President Trump's conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the presidential election, which included a threatening phone call to the Secretary of State of Georgia on January 2, 2021;
  • "President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government, threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coequal branch of government; and
  • "by such conduct, President Trump warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold U.S. office."
I agree....

Fyi

It is a separate vote to prevent a convicted impeached president, that comes after the 2/3s vote in Senate.

It follows, and only a majority is needed to stop him from running again, in that vote.

In a vacuum, no, the speech was not incitement.

When taken in context, four years of him "firing up the base", blurting out the most ridiculous and incendiary shit that came into his head? Four years of him posting "tweets" that were as provocative as possible? Four years of his enablers, sycophants and media turning his base into a bunch of quivering, paranoid, rage-filled zombies?

Yeah.

The final straw may not be big, but it's still the final straw. That was that speech. Charlie Manson didn't slaughter those people. The weak-willed cultists he controlled did.
Has anyone stopped to ask who invited them to be in DC in the first place? Does anyone remember Trump's personal invitation to them to be there on the 6th as Congress certified the vote? "It will be wild!" He promised.

You want leftists to ask themselves honestly? I applaud.you for trying.
Never going to happen.

Think very carefully.

I agree....

Fyi

It is a separate vote to prevent a convicted impeached president, that comes after the 2/3s vote in Senate.

It follows, and only a majority is needed to stop him from running again, in that vote.
Yes, easy schmeasy, but the hard part is the 2/3rds first. Are you emailing Susan Collins? Do it, Care. Please!

Again, read the transcript and ask yourself if this is rhetoric which we want to ban in America.

Seriously.

I value the First Amendment dearly.

You obviously don't value it if you're questioning the banning of speech. Apparently, you don't realize that unpopular speech is precisely why the First Amendment exists. We don't need to protect what we all agree on.
Read my posts again. You are seriously misunderstanding me.
So are a lot of people, it seems. Hope I'm not one of them. Must be the Tocqueville.

To my eye, the pitch rose dramatically during the last three minutes, as he said things like:

" we got rid of catch and release, we got rid of all of the stuff that we had to live with. But now the caravans, they think Biden’s getting in, the caravans are forming again. They want to come in again and rip off our country. Can’t let it happen. As this enormous crowd shows, we have truth and justice on our side. ”

But we also may examine it within the context of his continual grooming of his followers:

Trump is a master of the dogwhistle. It is, by definition, silent to the human ear. We can't point to a particular sentence. But it is more than understood by his followers. Trump has been doing it this way from the start.

Again, read the transcript and ask yourself if this is rhetoric which we want to ban in America.

Seriously.

You obviously don't value it if you're questioning the banning of speech. Apparently, you don't realize that unpopular speech is precisely why the First Amendment exists. We don't need to protect what we all agree on.

Funny how righties, lefties and even moderates are mad at you in this thread. I guess they see the username g5000 and immediately jump to conclusions. Me? I think you're being very reasonable and I appreciate that.

I disagree with you.

I only got to 14 minutes out of an hour and found many instances of him whipping up the crowd with his lies....and incoherent declarations.

Turn your cameras please and show what’s really happening out here because these people are not going to take it any longer. They’re not going to take it any longer.

All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical left Democrats, which is what they’re doing and stolen by the fake news media. That’s what they’ve done and what they’re doing. We will never give up. We will never concede, it doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.

Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about.

To use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal. Today I will lay out just some of the evidence proving that we won this election, and we won it by a landslide.

By the way, does anybody believe that Joe had 80 million votes? Does anybody believe that? He had 80 million computer votes. It’s a disgrace. There’s never been anything like that. You could take third world countries. Just take a look, take third world countries. Their elections are more honest than what we’ve been going through in this country. It’s a disgrace. It’s a disgrace. Even when you look at last night, they’re all running around like chickens with their heads cut off with boxes. Nobody knows what the hell is going on. There’s never been anything like this. We will not let them silence your voices. We’re not going to let it happen. Not going to let it happen.

Crowd: (07:11)
Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump!

Donald Trump: (08:09)
I hope so. I hope so because if Mike Pence does the right thing, we win the election. All he has to do. This is from the number one or certainly one of the top constitutional lawyers in our country. He has the absolute right to do it. We’re supposed to protect our country, support our country, support our constitution, and protect our constitution. States want to revote. The States got defrauded. They were given false information. They voted on it. Now they want to recertify. They want it back. All Vice-President Pence has to do is send it back to the States to recertify, and we become president, and you are the happiest people.

Donald Trump: (09:08)
I just spoke to Mike. I said, “Mike, that doesn’t take courage. What takes courage is to do nothing. That takes courage,” and then we’re stuck with a president who lost the election by a lot, and we have to live with that for four more years. We’re just not going to let that happen.

Donald Trump: (11:25)
We’re gathered together in the heart of our nation’s Capitol for one very, very basic and simple reason, to save our democracy. Most candidates on election evening, and of course this thing goes on so long, they still don’t have any idea what the votes are. We still have congressional seats under review. They have no idea. They’ve totally lost control. They’ve used the pandemic as a way of defrauding the people in a proper election. But when you see this and when you see what’s happening, number one, they all say, “Sir, we’ll never let it happen again.” I said, “That’s good, but what about eight weeks ago?” They try and get you to go. They say, “Sir, in four years, you’re guaranteed.” I said, “I’m not interested right now. Do me a favor, go back eight weeks. I want to go back eight weeks. Let’s go back eight week.” We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.

Donald Trump: (14:39)
But this year using the pretext of the China virus and the scam of mail-in ballots, Democrats attempted the most brazen and outrageous election theft. There’s never been anything like this. It’s a pure theft in American history, everybody knows it. That election, our election was over at 10:00 in the evening. We’re leading Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia by hundreds of thousands of votes, and then late in the evening or early in the morning, boom, these explosions of and bullshit, and all of a sudden. All of a sudden it started to happen

I disagree with you.

I only got to 14 minutes out of an hour and found many instances of him whipping up the crowd with his lies....and incoherent declarations.

Turn your cameras please and show what’s really happening out here because these people are not going to take it any longer. They’re not going to take it any longer.

All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical left Democrats, which is what they’re doing and stolen by the fake news media. That’s what they’ve done and what they’re doing. We will never give up. We will never concede, it doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.

Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about.

To use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal. Today I will lay out just some of the evidence proving that we won this election, and we won it by a landslide.

By the way, does anybody believe that Joe had 80 million votes? Does anybody believe that? He had 80 million computer votes. It’s a disgrace. There’s never been anything like that. You could take third world countries. Just take a look, take third world countries. Their elections are more honest than what we’ve been going through in this country. It’s a disgrace. It’s a disgrace. Even when you look at last night, they’re all running around like chickens with their heads cut off with boxes. Nobody knows what the hell is going on. There’s never been anything like this. We will not let them silence your voices. We’re not going to let it happen. Not going to let it happen.

Crowd: (07:11)
Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump!

Donald Trump: (08:09)
I hope so. I hope so because if Mike Pence does the right thing, we win the election. All he has to do. This is from the number one or certainly one of the top constitutional lawyers in our country. He has the absolute right to do it. We’re supposed to protect our country, support our country, support our constitution, and protect our constitution. States want to revote. The States got defrauded. They were given false information. They voted on it. Now they want to recertify. They want it back. All Vice-President Pence has to do is send it back to the States to recertify, and we become president, and you are the happiest people.

Donald Trump: (09:08)
I just spoke to Mike. I said, “Mike, that doesn’t take courage. What takes courage is to do nothing. That takes courage,” and then we’re stuck with a president who lost the election by a lot, and we have to live with that for four more years. We’re just not going to let that happen.

Donald Trump: (11:25)
We’re gathered together in the heart of our nation’s Capitol for one very, very basic and simple reason, to save our democracy. Most candidates on election evening, and of course this thing goes on so long, they still don’t have any idea what the votes are. We still have congressional seats under review. They have no idea. They’ve totally lost control. They’ve used the pandemic as a way of defrauding the people in a proper election. But when you see this and when you see what’s happening, number one, they all say, “Sir, we’ll never let it happen again.” I said, “That’s good, but what about eight weeks ago?” They try and get you to go. They say, “Sir, in four years, you’re guaranteed.” I said, “I’m not interested right now. Do me a favor, go back eight weeks. I want to go back eight weeks. Let’s go back eight week.” We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.

Donald Trump: (14:39)
But this year using the pretext of the China virus and the scam of mail-in ballots, Democrats attempted the most brazen and outrageous election theft. There’s never been anything like this. It’s a pure theft in American history, everybody knows it. That election, our election was over at 10:00 in the evening. We’re leading Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia by hundreds of thousands of votes, and then late in the evening or early in the morning, boom, these explosions of and bullshit, and all of a sudden. All of a sudden it started to happen

Reminder that Biden told his followers that the republicans want to "Put y'all back in chains".

Think very carefully.

I agree....

Fyi

Yes, easy schmeasy, but the hard part is the 2/3rds first. Are you emailing Susan Collins? Do it, Care. Please!
Oh, I will.... I always do.

Seriously.

Funny how righties, lefties and even moderates are mad at you in this thread. I guess they see the username g5000 and immediately jump to conclusions. Me? I think you're being very reasonable and I appreciate that.
I'm not mad at him!!

I respectfully disagree with him! :)

Seriously.

g5000 is always reasonable.

I like it when he starts tossing the molotov cocktails, too.

Didn't notice the Congress making any effort to leave their bunkers to try to calm anyone down either. Did any of them speak to the people at any time that day? Maybe if someone had actually acknowledged the concerns that many had traveled across the country to air there would have been no violence from either side.

Forum List

Back