"Reasonable" gun control vs "gun nut gun control"

2 million is completely made up. There are less than 10 million crimes committed each year. Gun owners are a minority and most crimes are committed when nobody is there to defend then. Your number isn't mathematically possible.

The first thing you are wrong about......

1) there are less than 10 million crimes reported evey year....many more crimes happen and never get reported to police....

In a country of over 320 million people...2 million is impossible?......right...sell that to your anti gun extremist buddies....

Then show me based on gun ownership and crime rates it is possible. You seem to be counting criminal use of a gun.

Nope.....not criminals.....regular people.......nice try though..

Kleck says most are involved in criminal activity.

Liar....no he doesn't...he says they carried their guns in public when it was not legal......he specifically says they were not engaged in criminal activity or criminals......and he emphasized that this year.....

That is breaking the law, that's what criminals do.

For interested parties....

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)
DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)
L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)
Kleck...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

-------------------------------------------
Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

All should be lowered 30% for modern crime rates. Then field should be removed cause it's not national. Then la times removed cause it is immaginary. Then add in the NCVS which is the biggest study.

Tell the L.A. times their study was imaginary....did you call them and ask how to find their study......and excuse me if I don't take your advice on how to make the numbers wrong......

They say it doesn't exist. How big was the survey?

Yeah....these articles show why the National Crime Victimization Study is wrong.....and that is on top of the fact that the NCVS isn't a study about defensive gun use and never asks anyone if they used a gun for self defense....

Measures of Crime

National Crime Victimization Survey A new report finds that the Justice Department has been undercounting instances of rape and sexual assault.

And another reason to not use the NCVS...they can't even count those things they are actually studying correctly, let alone something like guns that they aren't actually studying...

National Crime Victimization Survey A new report finds that the Justice Department has been undercounting instances of rape and sexual assault.

How helpful, then, that the Justice Department asked the National Research Council (part of the National Academies, which also includes the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine) to study how successfully the federal government measures rape. The answer has just arrived, in a report out Tuesday with the headline from the press release: “The National Crime Victimization Survey Is Likely Undercounting Rape and Sexual Assault.” We’re not talking about small fractions—we’re talking about the kind of potentially massive underestimate that the military and the Justice Department have warned about for years—and that could be throwing a wrench into the effort to do the most effective type of rape prevention.....

But here are the flaws that call the nice-sounding stats into doubt: The NCVS is designed to measure all kinds of crime victimization. The questions it poses about sexual violence are embedded among questions that ask about lots of other types of crime. For example:

So......the NCVS can't get an accurate account of what it is researching....how do we know this...the numbers are off...

There is, in fact, an existing survey that has many of the attributes the NCVS currently lacks. It’s administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it’s called the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. (NISVS is the acronym. Apologies for the alphabet soup.)

NISVS “represents the public health perspective,” as Tuesday’s report puts it, and it asks questions about specific behavior, including whether the survey-taker was unable to consent to sex because he or she had been drinking or taking drugs. NISVS was first conducted in 2010, so it doesn’t go back in time the way the NCVS numbers do. But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures:

NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault.

And the FBI, which collects its data from local law enforcement, and so only counts rapes and attempted rapes that have been reported as crimes, totaled only 85,593 for 2010.

So no....the NCVS is not a tool to understand the use of guns for self defense..........And the most obvious point.......they undercount rape and sexual assault by a vast number compared to an actual study that researches rape and sexual assault....using the same method the anti gunners claim for the number of gun defenses....

But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault.

The Daily Kos on why the NCVS is wrong...
Defensive Gun Use Part III - The National Crime Victimization Study

The disadvantages of this study design are:
1) the study is not specifically designed to measure DGUs;

2) the study does not track every type of crime;

3) the study does not ask every interviewee about episodes of DGU;

4) interviewees are not specifically asked about defending themselves with a gun;

5) follow-up studies have demonstrated that the incidence of assault (and especially assaults by relatives and non-strangers) in the NCVS is under-reported, and if crime is under-reported then so too will DGUs be under-reported;

6) respondents’ anonymity is not preserved, and some interviewees may therefore feel wary or unwilling to discuss gun use with federal government employees.

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

All should be lowered 30% for modern crime rates. Then field should be removed cause it's not national. Then la times removed cause it is immaginary. Then add in the NCVS which is the biggest study.

Tell the L.A. times their study was imaginary....did you call them and ask how to find their study......and excuse me if I don't take your advice on how to make the numbers wrong......

You called them and asked....did they say it doesn't exist or they can't find it.........?

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

You called them and asked....did they say it doesn't exist or they can't find it.........?

I thought you'd catch I was not serious. I did not call them. It is ridiculous to count a survey you know nothing about.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Then add in the NCVS which is the biggest study

From left wing daily kos...why the NCVS can't be trusted on gun research....

4) interviewees are not specifically asked about defending themselves with a gun;

5) follow-up studies have demonstrated that the incidence of assault (and especially assaults by relatives and non-strangers) in the NCVS is under-reported, and if crime is under-reported then so too will DGUs be under-reported;

6) respondents’ anonymity is not preserved, and some interviewees may therefore feel wary or unwilling to discuss gun use with federal government employees.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

I thought you'd catch I was not serious. I did not call them. It is ridiculous to count a survey you know nothing about.

I thought you'd catch I was not serious.

brain.....you lied.....you said it did not exist....you have said that over and over again in attacking the average for defensive gun uses....

Why do you anti gun extremists have to lie.......well, I know.....the truth, and reality, prove you wrong every time......

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

brain.....it was collected by an actual researcher...who at the time was an anti gun researcher...and it is included in the list of gun research...moron.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Daily kos on kleck
I mean, when we're talking about trying to assess the positive social utility of DGU, scaring kids off your property by flashing a shotgun doesn't automatically go in the 'plus' category in my mind. Indeed, if you look at Table 3 in Kleck 95, you find that almost 50% of the DGU he measured involved no actual threat posed to the defender. WTF?

In fact, the primary theme that Kleck 97 uses to answer Hemenway's objections is that there is vast under-reporting of DGU because they are usually used illegally and/or in conjunction with illegal activity on the part of the defender.

brain.....it was collected by an actual researcher...who at the time was an anti gun researcher...and it is included in the list of gun research...moron.

The research is supported by nothing in reality and debunked many times over. If your 2 million number was right then there are 60 million defenses the last 30 years. That is almost every gun owner. Yet it is rare to find somebody with one. Step into reality.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Daily kos on kleck
I mean, when we're talking about trying to assess the positive social utility of DGU, scaring kids off your property by flashing a shotgun doesn't automatically go in the 'plus' category in my mind. Indeed, if you look at Table 3 in Kleck 95, you find that almost 50% of the DGU he measured involved no actual threat posed to the defender. WTF?

In fact, the primary theme that Kleck 97 uses to answer Hemenway's objections is that there is vast under-reporting of DGU because they are usually used illegally and/or in conjunction with illegal activity on the part of the defender.

And of course like you they lied about what kleck said.....he said the activity was carrying or owning a gun when it was not known if it was legal to do so, or carrying a gun knowing it wasn't legal, and just this year he affirmed that criminals were not the people in his study....which both you and the daily kos lie about.....

And if you actually read Kleck and his response to hemenway it is far more detailed than that......hemenway is a hack....and an anti gun extremist.....and of course you guys only focus on Kleck....vs. all the other gun researchers who confirm Klecks numbers.....like the Clinton Justice Dept. study which put the number at 1.5 million times a year......amazing that you guys overlook all of the other studies and just attack Kleck....and his isn't even the highest number.....

No response from the "reasonable gun control" people?
You are comparing two states with completely different demographics and populations and trying to make a case that gun control laws are responsible for crime.
I'm sorry.. do you mean to say that demo-soci-economic issues have a greater effect on crime than gun control?

No response from the "reasonable gun control" people?

You are comparing two states with completely different demographics and populations and trying to make a case that gun control laws are responsible for crime.

actually, no, that isn't a good point to take from that. The anti gun extremists say that lax gun laws will....will...increase the gun crime rate in any state or city that has lax gun laws.....VT shows that that isn't true...they say it, we don't.

Also, they say that strict gun control in a state or city will reduce gun murder......and that also is not true....as shown by California with it's assault weapon bans, and of course shortly after the ban they had that famous bank robbery with fully automatic rifles, bans on certain handguns, magazine limits (the Santa Barbara shooter used legal 10 round magazines) background checks (the Santa Barbara shooter passed 3 of them to get his 3 pistols)

Baltimore, chicago, D.C. L.A. and any number of strict gun control law cities also show this is untrue....

So they are wrong on that as well........

For example....Puerto Rico has the strictest gun control laws in the United States and it's territories...it is an island, so you can't use the excuse that they just drive across a state border and bring the guns in......and it has the highest gun murder rate in the world.....according to left wing VICE t.v.

Europe has extreme gun control laws......fully automatic rifles and grenades are illegal.....weapon of choice of European criminals?.....fully automatic rifles and grenades....look up my posts the last 2 days on Sweden.....

The research is supported by nothing in reality and debunked many times over. If your 2 million number was right then there are 60 million defenses the last 30 years. That is almost every gun owner. Yet it is rare to find somebody with one. Step into reality.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

And here we have studies that show that guns are the most effective way to stop a rape.....

Guns Effective Defense Against Rape

A woman using a gun is less likely to be raped and more likely to not be injured during the attack....

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

The best conclusion from available scientific data, then, is when avoidance of rape has failed and one must choose between being raped and resisting, a woman's best option is to resist with a gun in her hands.

So, again a woman's best chance for stopping the rape and ultimately surviving the situation is to use a gun.....

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Firearms/Data/Crime/Florida/Gun Ownership Stops Rape/
In Orlando, Florida, in 1966 a series of brutal rapes swept the
community. Citizens reacted to the tripling in the rate of rape
over the previous year by buying handguns for self-defense; 200-300
firearms were being purchased each week from dealers, and an unknown
number more from private parties. The newspaper there, the _Orlando
Sentinel Star_, had an anti-gun editorial stance and tried to pressure
the local police chief and city government to stop the flow of arms.

When that tactic failed, the paper decided that in the interest of
public safety, they would sponsor a gun-training seminar in conjunction
with the local police. Plans were made for a one-day training course at
a local city park.

Plans were made for an expected 400-500 women. However,
more than 2500 women arrived, and brought with them every conceivable
kind of firearm. They had to park many blocks away, and the weapons
were carried in in purses, paper bags, boxes, briefcases, holsters,
and womens' hands. One police officer present said he'd never been so
scared in his life. [It must have been quite a sight! :) ]

Swamped, the organizers hastily dismissed the women with promises for
a more thorough course with scheduled appointments. The course offered
was for three classes/week, and within 6 months, the Orlando police had
trained more than 6000 women in basic pistol marksmanship and the law
of self-defense.

The results?

In 1966 there were 36 rapes in Orlando, triple the 1965 rate. In 1967,
there were 4.

Before the training, rape rates had been increasing in
Orlando as nationwide.

5 years after the training, rape was still
below pre-training levels in Orlando, but up 308% in the surrounding
areas, 96% for Florida overall, and 64% nationally.

Also in 1967, violent assault and burglary decreased by 25% in Orlando,
in addition to the rape reductions.
In 1967, NOT A SINGLE WOMAN HAD FIRED HER WEAPON in self-defense. In
1967, NOT A SINGLE WOMAN HAD TURNED HER GUN ON HER HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND.
(No data are available for later years.)
The reason the program worked so spectacularly well is that it was
widely known that Orlando women had the means and training to defend
themselves from attackers. Rapists, being (somewhat) human, they are
learning engines; they took their business elsewhere--to the detriment
of the defenseless in those other locations.
Department of Justice victim studies show that overall, when rape is
attempted, the completion rate is 36%. But when a woman defends herself
with a gun, the completion rate drops to 3%.

And for 19.95 you can read Southwick's 2000 study on guns that talk about rape.....

Self-defense with guns The consequences

This one gives the actual percentages of how rapes are stopped...guns come out on top...

http://medind.nic.in/jal/t07/i4/jalt07i4p99.pdf

Here is Clinton's actual gun study...the number of 1.5 million is on page 9
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Daily kos on kleck

And of course like you they lied about what kleck said.....he said the activity was carrying or owning a gun when it was not known if it was legal to do so, or carrying a gun knowing it wasn't legal, and just this year he affirmed that criminals were not the people in his study....which both you and the daily kos lie about.....

And if you actually read Kleck and his response to hemenway it is far more detailed than that......hemenway is a hack....and an anti gun extremist.....and of course you guys only focus on Kleck....vs. all the other gun researchers who confirm Klecks numbers.....like the Clinton Justice Dept. study which put the number at 1.5 million times a year......amazing that you guys overlook all of the other studies and just attack Kleck....and his isn't even the highest number.....

Most defenses are in high crime areas where lots of armed criminals are. Armed criminals will obviously defend their stuff. Yesterday's robber is today's defender.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

And here we have studies that show that guns are the most effective way to stop a rape.....

A woman using a gun is less likely to be raped and more likely to not be injured during the attack....

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

The best conclusion from available scientific data, then, is when avoidance of rape has failed and one must choose between being raped and resisting, a woman's best option is to resist with a gun in her hands.

So, again a woman's best chance for stopping the rape and ultimately surviving the situation is to use a gun.....

In Orlando, Florida, in 1966 a series of brutal rapes swept the
community. Citizens reacted to the tripling in the rate of rape
over the previous year by buying handguns for self-defense; 200-300
firearms were being purchased each week from dealers, and an unknown
number more from private parties. The newspaper there, the _Orlando
Sentinel Star_, had an anti-gun editorial stance and tried to pressure
the local police chief and city government to stop the flow of arms.
When that tactic failed, the paper decided that in the interest of
public safety, they would sponsor a gun-training seminar in conjunction
with the local police. Plans were made for a one-day training course at
a local city park.
Plans were made for an expected 400-500 women. However,
more than 2500 women arrived, and brought with them every conceivable
kind of firearm. They had to park many blocks away, and the weapons
were carried in in purses, paper bags, boxes, briefcases, holsters,
and womens' hands. One police officer present said he'd never been so
scared in his life. [It must have been quite a sight! :) ]
Swamped, the organizers hastily dismissed the women with promises for
a more thorough course with scheduled appointments. The course offered
was for three classes/week, and within 6 months, the Orlando police had
trained more than 6000 women in basic pistol marksmanship and the law
of self-defense.
The results?
In 1966 there were 36 rapes in Orlando, triple the 1965 rate. In 1967,
there were 4.

Before the training, rape rates had been increasing in
Orlando as nationwide.
5 years after the training, rape was still
below pre-training levels in Orlando, but up 308% in the surrounding
areas, 96% for Florida overall, and 64% nationally.

Also in 1967, violent assault and burglary decreased by 25% in Orlando,
in addition to the rape reductions.
In 1967, NOT A SINGLE WOMAN HAD FIRED HER WEAPON in self-defense. In
1967, NOT A SINGLE WOMAN HAD TURNED HER GUN ON HER HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND.
(No data are available for later years.)
The reason the program worked so spectacularly well is that it was
widely known that Orlando women had the means and training to defend
themselves from attackers. Rapists, being (somewhat) human, they are
learning engines; they took their business elsewhere--to the detriment
of the defenseless in those other locations.
Department of Justice victim studies show that overall, when rape is
attempted, the completion rate is 36%. But when a woman defends herself
with a gun, the completion rate drops to 3%.

And for 19.95 you can read Southwick's 2000 study on guns that talk about rape.....

Self-defense with guns The consequences

This one gives the actual percentages of how rapes are stopped...guns come out on top...

http://medind.nic.in/jal/t07/i4/jalt07i4p99.pdf

Here is Clinton's actual gun study...the number of 1.5 million is on page 9
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

11 of the 16 say less than 2 million. Where do you account for decreased crime in your estimate? Why do you count studies that aren't national?

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Daily kos on kleck

Most defenses are in high crime areas where lots of armed criminals are. Armed criminals will obviously defend their stuff. Yesterday's robber is today's defender.

Still lying.....Kleck never said that.....specifically said normal people carrying a gun for self defense against criminals at a time when it wasn't always legal to own or carry a gun for self defense....and specifically stated they were not engaged in criminal activity or criminals........

Forum List

Back