• None. Halloween is secular.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
What are the religious origins of Halloween, if any?

I have heard a few theories tossed around here and there. Perhaps it is that time if year to discuss it again.

IIRC, it has something to do with hollowing out a pumpkin and roasting it's seeds. Then munching on them like popcorn while you watch scary old movies.

It's all hallows Eve... To remember the dead.

What are the religious origins of Halloween, if any?

Halloween from "all hallows" = "all holy people" and "ween"= to hope. Including the following "All Soul's day" two Catholic holidays - with also Celtic roots - to remember our dead ancestors.

Halloween from "all hallows" = "all holy people" and "ween"= to hope. Including the following "All Soul's day" two Catholic holidays - with also Celtic roots - to remember our dead ancestors.
Wrong.

All Hallows Eve. The "een" used to read "e'en", meaning "even", meaning "evening". I used to write it as Hallowe'en when I was a kid.

Wrong.

All Hallows Eve. The "een" used to read "e'en", meaning "even", meaning "evening". I used to write it as Hallowe'en when I was a kid.

But "ween" also means hope. Our modern ways to think - specially in the English speaking world - are often very simple compared with the ways how our forefathers thought. "Evening" and "hope" are not excluding each other. In the Jewish culture for example a day started in the evening and not in the morning. So the "last supper" - an evening meal - had been also the beginning of a new day.

In general are expressing the Celtic "All Hallows Ween" and the Spanish "All Soul's day" the same. The hope to find the way to the eternal life within gods heaven. A very similar word to the English word "heaven" is for example the German word "Hafen" = "harbour". The hope is our ship of life will find the harbour in god.

And in context "Halloween" we all have also a natural fear of death - and so exist also many horror moments in this context. And the very astonishing thing is that we are also able to see this eerie moments with a lot of humor.

Last edited:
OhPleaseJustQuit

Are you sure you know what "funny" means? It not means "I laugh about you so you have to be ashamed and to be blamed in public." In the way how you are using the funny emoji you say nothing else than "I am a thoughtless idiot!"

OK. You win.
What a nonsense. I win nothing. I just simple said something. You are able to win if you think about your own logos and behavior. What you did do with this words here - as far as I am able to see. And by the way: A quant in a double column experiment passes two ways the same time.

Last edited:
What a nonsense. I win nothing. I just simple said something. You are able to win if you think about your own logos and behavior. What you did do with this words here - as far as I am able to see. And by the way: A quant in a double column experiment passes two ways the same time.
Perhaps you should stick to boards that use your first language until your English becomes intelligible.

Halloween is the result of All Saints Day on November 1st and the result of the Catholic Religion.

Halloween has it roots to an old Irish tradition that brings then end of fertile year and the start of the cold days ahead and with it they believed on that one day the two realms of the living and dead had a thin veil where the dead could pass through, so the tradition was to offer food and have a candle in the window to make sure the ghost would pass you by.

The Catholics didn’t like this tradition, so they tried to get rid of it but it still part of the Irish Culture and thus we practice the dressing up and offering treats to those that knock at our door while keeping a light on.

Halloween originated as "All Hollow's Eve" and the druidic feast of Samhain before that.

Not exactly. The "hallows eve" was the Catholic bastardization of the ancient PAGAN festivals.

That Church did that with all the "holidays" this "christian" culture celebrates

The book, The Two Babylon's refers to this SIN as "the Sin of Mixtures" -- that is, adapting PAGAN PRACTICES but claiming to do it "for Christ."

But God COMMANDS His TRUE PEOPLE, "You SHALL NOT worship the Lord Your God as the nations around you worship THEIR gods"

But here is 99% of the "christian" world DISHONORING GOD by openly doing the very thing He said,. Don't DO IT

In an article "Unmasking Halloween traditions," Christopher Nyerges writes:​

"The roots of Halloween go back to the Celts. To the ancient Celts, there were six significant fire ceremonies during the year. The greatest of these were Beltane, the first of May, and Samhain, the last day of October.
"The feast of Samhain (meaning `summer's end'), marked both their Feast of the Dead and the Celtic New Year. This time of the year, half-way between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice, was a time of decay and death on the earth.
"Samhain ushered in the darkest and most barren time of the year, a time fraught with ghosts, witches, demons, and fairies.
"Fire rites, during which HUMAN AND ANIMAL SACRIFICES were made, were performed in the belief that they'd protect the crops and flocks from demonic influence" (Saturday, October 28, 1995).​
The Celts believed that on the Feast of Samhain, the spirits of their ancestors would rise up from the cold fields and graves and come into the warm homes and cottages of the people, and had to be greeted with decorations and festivities, parties and acceptance, in order to get "protection" for the household from evil spirits during the coming winter months. Offerings were made to protect the household from malicious spirits or demons. Says Christopher Nyerges:​

"Thus, in its origin, the Feast of Samhain was a rite designed to protect humans from the `evil' activities of the dis-incarnate. It was, if you will, a BARGAIN WITH THE DEAD so they'd stay away and cause no trouble during the next year."​

Not exactly. The "hallows eve" was the Catholic bastardization of the ancient PAGAN festivals.

That Church did that with all the "holidays" ...

By the way: 1/3rd of a year had been holy days (= holidays) in the good old golden times of the middle ages where wishes still had helped while you was unborn ...

Forum List

Back