Religious Tolerance: Church kicks whole family out for supporting their gay daughter

Do yourself a favor, stop using the Bible to justify your hatred. I know it orders of magnitude better than you do, understand history a lot better, and can easily cause you to start saying something that is totally different than your original position as you are forced to clarify it. I already demonstrated that with your idiotic argument that churches cannot be sued.

I clarified my first quick statement. Churches have never nor will they ever be sued into performing religious ceremonies for couples they object to, period.

I'm not the one "using" the bible to justify hate, the bigots have and still do.

How do you explain the fact that they have been sued over it?

Really, when? When has a church in the United States been sued to perform a ceremony for a couple they did not want to marry? If there was such a suit for ANY couple, how did it turn out?

It is, however, illegal to lie about what they did with malicious intent. If you want to call the church out for what they did then call them out for what they did, not what they didn't do.

They did not kick anyone out, they did not issue an ultimatum. What they did was remind the people that wrote the rules of the church, that they had no problem imposing on others over the years, that they applied to them also. That, by the bylaws of the church, they had done something wrong, and that those same bylaws required a public act of confession.

The family got all self righteous, and refused, and then left the church.

They forced 'em out for supporting their gay daughter no matter how its spun.

Asking people to follow rules they write is forcing them out. Nice.

Spin, spin, spin.

I clarified my first quick statement. Churches have never nor will they ever be sued into performing religious ceremonies for couples they object to, period.

I'm not the one "using" the bible to justify hate, the bigots have and still do.

Saturday, August 03, 2013

Couple suing to force church to perform gay marriage

Wealthy gay activist, Barrie Drewitt-Barlow, says he and his civil partner Tony will go to court to force churches to host gay weddings.

He told the Essex Chronicle that he will take legal action because “I am still not getting what I want. The only way forward for us now is to make a challenge in the courts against the church. It is a shame that we are forced to take Christians into a court to get them to recognise us. As much as people are saying this is a good thing I am still not getting what I want.”

A bill legalizing gay marriage passed the British Parliament recently. Like Illinois' gay marriage legislation, it included measures to protect churches from being forced to perform same-sex weddings.

However, legal experts cautioned that the British bill left the Church of England open to legal challenge. In June 2012 a Justice Minister admitted that the government’s plans could lead to legal issues. He said the government is “seeking to protect, indeed, proscribe religious organisations from offering gay marriage”, but he continued: “That may be problematic legally”.

That, again, isn't the US.

You see the parents didn't like the rules of the church and left.....That is fine. You could almost even view it as honorable since they did it for their loved one. I say almost honorable because they then turned around and tried to use this as a attack against the church. If these parents truly were people of God they would have found another church which didn't have such requirements and just went on living. Yet that doesn't fit the agenda does it? Nor did it fit the agenda of the progressives here who are consistently lying about it. By the way homosexuals God loves you no matter how much you hate him.

Last edited:
You see the parents didn't like the rules of the church and left.....That is fine. You could almost even view it as honorable since they did it for their loved one. I say almost honorable because they then turned around and tried to use this as a attack against the church. If these parents truly were people of God they would have found another church which didn't have such requirements and just went on living. Yet that doesn't fit the agenda does it? Nor did it fit the agenda of the progressives here who are consistently lying about it. By the way homosexuals God loves you no matter how much you hate him.

We don't hate god or even his/her followers, we dislike the intolerance practiced by churches like this one that would demand a member, one whose family had been attending over half a century, to "repent their sins" in front of the entire congregation when their only "sin" was supporting their child.

We don't hate god or even his/her followers, we dislike the intolerance practiced by churches like this one that would demand a member, one whose family had been attending over half a century, to "repent their sins" in front of the entire congregation when their only "sin" was supporting their child.

I think you made that clear, several times. I think you are disliking the fact that many disagree with you.

Tolerance is NOT making others think as you do. That's Fascism. You progressives are good at that.

I think you made that clear, several times. I think you are disliking the fact that many disagree with you.

Oh? Seems you were unclear just yesterday and thought someone wanted some sort of legislative "solution".

Ridiculing this intolerant douche of a church is the appropriate response.

Tolerance is NOT making others think as you do. That's Fascism. You progressives are good at that.

Who is "making" anyone do anything. Why did the Mormon church start accepting blacks? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't through legislation.

Oh? Seems you were unclear just yesterday and thought someone wanted some sort of legislative "solution".

That's why I wanted clarification, you keep going over and over the same point. I thought there might be something I was missing. You told me there wasn't.

You have a right to bitch, others have a right to disagree and you agree to disagree. Stating the same thing over and over doesn't make your opinion any more valid.

Its funny...they cry about how churches will be sued for gay marriage, and yet this happens...
Barbarians are more civilized than these religious people.

And Churches can't be sued. The 1st Amendment guarantees that.
"The First Amendment has never made the church immune to being sued. This amendment provides only limited protection to religious bodies. It gives us the freedom to believe what we want, but it does not give us the freedom to take any and all action that we want. Therefore, courts do not allow churches or their leaders to hide behind the constitution to escape liability for harmful acts, even if those acts are religiously motivated."

Legal Threats to the Church - Peacemaker Ministries

Its funny...they cry about how churches will be sued for gay marriage, and yet this happens...
Barbarians are more civilized than these religious people.

"The First Amendment has never made the church immune to being sued. This amendment provides only limited protection to religious bodies. It gives us the freedom to believe what we want, but it does not give us the freedom to take any and all action that we want. Therefore, courts do not allow churches or their leaders to hide behind the constitution to escape liability for harmful acts, even if those acts are religiously motivated."

Yes, I'm fully aware. I actually clarified that offhand comment had you read further.

That's why I wanted clarification, you keep going over and over the same point. I thought there might be something I was missing. You told me there wasn't.

You have a right to bitch, others have a right to disagree and you agree to disagree. Stating the same thing over and over doesn't make your opinion any more valid.

If I have to make the same response because someone else didn't read the response the first time, why berate me for responding again instead of them for not reading it the first time?

If you really had a problem with intolerance you wouldn't practice it every time you posted.

Who is "making" anyone do anything. Why did the Mormon church start accepting blacks? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't through legislation.

I'll give you a better hint, they never rejected them.

Yes, I'm fully aware. I actually clarified that offhand comment had you read further.

As in you were 100% wrong but refused to admit it.

LOL, this really means a lot to you doesn't it? I posted quickly from my phone in the middle of the day on a break. I later clarified what I meant. That hasn't changed. Churches and or clergy have never nor will they ever be forced to marry a couple.

As church leaders. Why did the Mormons suddenly change their mind in 1978? It wasn't because of legislation...

Churches will adapt or die.

LOL, this really means a lot to you doesn't it? I posted quickly from my phone in the middle of the day on a break. I later clarified what I meant. That hasn't changed. Churches and or clergy have never nor will they ever be forced to marry a couple.

You said something that was wrong. You claim that a clarification of your post, which effectively contradicts what you wrote, clears it up. Is your name Edwards?

As church leaders. Why did the Mormons suddenly change their mind in 1978? It wasn't because of legislation...

Churches will adapt or die.

It wasn't sudden either, but keep lying, it makes you side look intelligent and thoughtful.

Forum List

Back