Remember that 35% tariff you Trump supporters thought you were going to get?

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Did you forget about the real Republican Party?

"President-elect Donald Trump's plan to use steep tariffs to punish companies that move overseas is running into an obstacle: Congressional Republicans.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy warned Monday that such an approach could cause a trade war. A better way to achieve the goal of keeping companies in the U.S. and growing jobs would be to rewrite the tax code and lower corporate rates, McCarthy said."

Trump's tariff plan hits a hurdle: Congressional Republicans

Same as it ever was, the Republican Party. The party of free trade, in the worst sense of that term.

Anxious to see what happens with this. I knew he would have trouble. Most Establishment asswipes don't care about the majority of Americans.

The market certainly doesn't think he's going to impose a big tariff on Mexico and China.

Stocks wouldn't be soaring if it did.

"President-elect Donald Trump's plan to use steep tariffs to punish companies that move overseas is running into an obstacle: Congressional Republicans.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy warned Monday that such an approach could cause a trade war. A better way to achieve the goal of keeping companies in the U.S. and growing jobs would be to rewrite the tax code and lower corporate rates, McCarthy said."

Same as it ever was, the Republican Party. The party of free trade, in the worst sense of that term.
Lowering tax and regulations is worse to you? LOL, what a nitwit.

I hope they can get it done without too much screaming bloody murder from the greedy left.

Lowering tax and regulations is worse to you? LOL, what a nitwit.

I hope they can get it done without too much screaming bloody murder from the greedy left.

Ah, that's what I expected.

Now the Trumptards are all going to claim they never wanted a tariff in the first place.

See? I told you so.

Why not, a Congressional, Board of Equalization that simply "equalizes" wages between the First World and the Third World?

If Trump wants protectionism he's going to have to ally himself with the Democratic party and a minority of the GOP.

We might even be entertained by the spectacle of the Republicans FILIBUSTERING Trump.

Why not, a Congressional, Board of Equalization that simply "equalizes" wages between the First World and the Third World?

I think that's similar to my own position. Make the tariffs represent the labor cost differential between those here and those in the foreign country the imports are coming from.

I believe everyone has got the message, including the people who voted for Trump, that anything he said during his campaign to win the presidency was only words without substance. Trump is a phony, a conman.

I think that's similar to my own position. Make the tariffs represent the labor cost differential between those here and those in the foreign country the imports are coming from.
excise taxes may be more appropriate. we should simply excise the difference and call it, equalization.

Who would pay for the tariffs, it will trickle down the consumers, the elites will not notice the increases in price, but most of us would.

Last edited:

I forget NYclueless, which Republican president signed NAFTA? What did you say? It was a Dem, Slick Willie! Why didn't you mention that in your post? No reasonable person thought The Clown was going to walk in and not have to deal with a congress that may see things different. That was why he won, he hasn't been bought. Still scratching your tiny head, aren't you?

Yes Clinton signed the bill which begun in Bush Sr's presidency, and his son did Cafta.

Who would pay for the tariffs, it will trickle down the consumers, the elites will notice the increases in price, but most of us would.
Expatriate Firms would pay the difference for rational choice theory purposes. There is no reason to abandon US labor, merely for cheap wages; knowing US labor cannot compete by going backwards to a Third World.

I believe everyone has got the message, including the people who voted for Trump, that anything he said during his campaign to win the presidency was only words without substance. Trump is a phony, a conman.

I forget NYclueless, which Republican president signed NAFTA? What did you say? It was a Dem, Slick Willie! Why didn't you mention that in your post? No reasonable person thought The Clown was going to walk in and not have to deal with a congress that may see things different. That was why he won, he hasn't been bought. Still scratching your tiny head, aren't you?

I never voted for Bill Clinton BECAUSE he signed NAFTA.

Most Democrats voted against NAFTA.

Happy now?

The best way to get money out of the elites down to the middle class is to enc Mexicans to demand more money, like they are leaving China because wages have gone up. We really should not raise our wages too high till Mexicans do and now the Cubans.

Our battle is not with our Mexican friends, its with the Corps.

It passed with overwhelming support from Congressional Republicans. Most Democrats voted against nafta.

I never voted for Bill Clinton BECAUSE he signed NAFTA.

Most Democrats voted against NAFTA.

Happy now?
There is nothing wrong with nafta; we simply need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed.

The best way to get money out of the elites down to the middle class is to enc Mexicans to demand more money, like they are leaving China because wages have gone up. We really should not raise our wages too high till Mexicans do and now the Cubans.

Our battle is not with our Mexican friends, its with the Corps.
why not advocate for a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage?

there is no reason to not improve the efficiency of our economy, regardless of other economies.

a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage competes favorably with the cost of social services and is a rational alternative as a part of rational choice theory under our form of Capitalism.

Forum List

Back