Remembering the Reagan Years.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
In my opinion, politics is usually revolting and dark. Unfortunately, we are stuck with it. On a purely pragmatic level, Ronald Reagan was a relatively good president, despite his many flaws. To his shame, he sometimes paid lip service to those holding the purse strings.

In an essay in Substack, Irish writer John Waters wrote: “The values we were pummeled with all our lived have been dumped, trashed, and no longer have any value in the operation of our societies, that those societies are no longer run by the people, or on behalf of the people, but by an invisible elite which simply sends orders down to those whom we elected to represent us.”

For most rational American patriots remembering the good side to Reagan’s presidency, the man had great charisma, with his Howdy-Doody face and warm voice, looking like one’s favourite uncle. He was also funny, intelligent, and spoke in plain language with straight-forward messages. With the little independent power he had, he nonetheless was a common-sense president, with, ostensibly (I never met her but saw her), a classy First Lady wife called Nancy.

As a great communicator, Reagan said: “I wasn’t a great communicator, but I communicated great things,” gathered from “our experience, our wisdom, and our belief in principles that have guided us for two centuries.” There is no doubt that his Hollywood acting skills enhanced his speeches, but his words certainly inspired many fans of the great American icon.

I had a fondness for him when I was younger and did not know about all the things he did/allowed to happen.

He was my first CIC, if only for a short time.

The Reagan years had some of the classiest music too. Everyone looked so clean-shaven and well-dressed.

In my opinion, politics is usually revolting and dark. Unfortunately, we are stuck with it. On a purely pragmatic level, Ronald Reagan was a relatively good president, despite his many flaws. To his shame, he sometimes paid lip service to those holding the purse strings.

In an essay in Substack, Irish writer John Waters wrote: “The values we were pummeled with all our lived have been dumped, trashed, and no longer have any value in the operation of our societies, that those societies are no longer run by the people, or on behalf of the people, but by an invisible elite which simply sends orders down to those whom we elected to represent us.”

For most rational American patriots remembering the good side to Reagan’s presidency, the man had great charisma, with his Howdy-Doody face and warm voice, looking like one’s favourite uncle. He was also funny, intelligent, and spoke in plain language with straight-forward messages. With the little independent power he had, he nonetheless was a common-sense president, with, ostensibly (I never met her but saw her), a classy First Lady wife called Nancy.

As a great communicator, Reagan said: “I wasn’t a great communicator, but I communicated great things,” gathered from “our experience, our wisdom, and our belief in principles that have guided us for two centuries.” There is no doubt that his Hollywood acting skills enhanced his speeches, but his words certainly inspired many fans of the great American icon.

convenient memories

Forum List

Back