Rep. Mia Love wants to limit congressional bills to one subject at a time

Dovahkiin

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2016
I can see this getting bi-partisan support. I want this to happen, for obvious reasons.
Rep. Mia Love wants to crack down on Congress dumping controversial legislation into unrelated, must-pass bills in the middle of the night.
The Utah Republican has introduced a measure to limit bills in Congress to one subject at a time. It would prevent lawmakers from bundling things together or folding legislation into large appropriations bills. Each bill would rise and fall on its own merits.
"Members of both parties have made a habit of passing complex, thousand-page bills without hearings, amendments or debate," Love said. "That process and the collusion that goes with it are why we are $18 trillion in debt and why the American people have lost trust in elected officials."
Love's proposal takes a page out of the Utah Constitution, which requires the Legislature pass bills containing only one subject and that is clearly expressed in the title.

"Rep. Mia Love wants to limit congressional bills to one subject at a time"

How typical of the naive TPM right - a truly childish, ridiculous, and inane proposal.

she's one of the conservative bright stars on the horizon.

Federalist No. 15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in music it's called kiss, or keep it simple stupid.

S. 1572: One Subject at a Time Act
Introduced:

Jun 15, 2015

Referred to Committee on Jun 15, 2015

This bill was assigned to a congressional committee on June 15, 2015, which will consider it before possibly sending it on to the House or Senate as a whole.
Sponsor:

Rand Paul

Junior Senator from Kentucky
Republican

Text:

Read Text »

Last Updated: Jun 15, 2015
Length: 3 pages

federalist papers on creating simple law - Google Search

Last edited:
I can see this getting bi-partisan support. I want this to happen, for obvious reasons.
Rep. Mia Love wants to crack down on Congress dumping controversial legislation into unrelated, must-pass bills in the middle of the night.
The Utah Republican has introduced a measure to limit bills in Congress to one subject at a time. It would prevent lawmakers from bundling things together or folding legislation into large appropriations bills. Each bill would rise and fall on its own merits.
"Members of both parties have made a habit of passing complex, thousand-page bills without hearings, amendments or debate," Love said. "That process and the collusion that goes with it are why we are $18 trillion in debt and why the American people have lost trust in elected officials."
Love's proposal takes a page out of the Utah Constitution, which requires the Legislature pass bills containing only one subject and that is clearly expressed in the title.

So in Utah, you only get one subject in a bill,

but 5 wives back home...

Great idea - 1 issue at a time. No more BS pork packed into bills, especially critical bills pork-pushers know people will be too afraid to vote down.

So in Utah, you only get one subject in a bill,

but 5 wives back home...
A tiny minority of the utah population participate in polygamy.

It's long overdue.

This has been one of the more corrupt practices of the last century, attaching riders to bills to get corrupt and unpopular laws passed.

"Rep. Mia Love wants to limit congressional bills to one subject at a time"

How typical of the naive TPM right - a truly childish, ridiculous, and inane proposal.

Holy fuck but you are stupid one, C_Coward_Jones.

The concept of honest government frightens you, doesn't it?

To the populous, but not the members.

Forum List

Back