Republicans: Do you have a breaking point with Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: Back during the campaign, those of us who were not voting for Trump didn't believe that he'd be able to follow through on a pretty significant percentage of his promises. We were mocked, of course, but now that we know the ACA won't be repealed, that Mexico won't be paying for the wall, that Trump even backed out of requiring WE fund the wall, and that he's softening on NAFTA and NATO and other issues, I'd like to know:

Have you thought about how much leeway you'll give him on his promises before you'd stop supporting him?

You're sounding like the typical regressive. Trump is in his first hundred days, not his last. NATO partners have agreed to up their defense spending to the required levels in the treaty and agreed to do more on terrorism. Trumps trade rep just got confirmed and hasn't even had time to get acquainted with his office. ACA replacement may be voted on as early as this week. Your crap is as weak as nats.
He said he was going to REPEAL the ACA, have Mexico pay for the wall, and get out of NAFTA.

Are any of those going to happen?

Probably not. He can't just just change the ACA he has to fully repeal and Mexico isn't paying for any wall and he back tracked on NAFTA yesterday. Not to mention his daughter and son-in-law wants him to accept Syrian refugees.

You're making assumptions, and what do Syrian refugees have have to do with anything, Trump has said all along they would be accepted after proper vetting.

Hell you better go over to infowars and listen to Alex Jones, he went on a rant about the dem Kushner and independent Ivanka just about this same subject. Isn't that where all you righties hang out, infowars?

Alex can't be wrong, can he?

Wouldn't know, I don't listen to him or go to his site. Did I mention you're making assumptions?

You're sounding like the typical regressive. Trump is in his first hundred days, not his last. NATO partners have agreed to up their defense spending to the required levels in the treaty and agreed to do more on terrorism. Trumps trade rep just got confirmed and hasn't even had time to get acquainted with his office. ACA replacement may be voted on as early as this week. Your crap is as weak as nats.
He said he was going to REPEAL the ACA, have Mexico pay for the wall, and get out of NAFTA.

Are any of those going to happen?

Probably not. He can't just just change the ACA he has to fully repeal and Mexico isn't paying for any wall and he back tracked on NAFTA yesterday. Not to mention his daughter and son-in-law wants him to accept Syrian refugees.

You're making assumptions, and what do Syrian refugees have have to do with anything, Trump has said all along they would be accepted after proper vetting.

Hell you better go over to infowars and listen to Alex Jones, he went on a rant about the dem Kushner and independent Ivanka just about this same subject. Isn't that where all you righties hang out, infowars?

Alex can't be wrong, can he?

Wouldn't know, I don't listen to him or go to his site. Did I mention you're making assumptions?
Neither does dd.

Serious question: Back during the campaign, those of us who were not voting for Trump didn't believe that he'd be able to follow through on a pretty significant percentage of his promises. We were mocked, of course, but now that we know the ACA won't be repealed, that Mexico won't be paying for the wall, that Trump even backed out of requiring WE fund the wall, and that he's softening on NAFTA and NATO and other issues, I'd like to know:

Have you thought about how much leeway you'll give him on his promises before you'd stop supporting him?

1. He wasn't elected out of policy platforms, Hillary was defeated, there is a difference.

2. The Republican/independent voters are tired of the promises the Republicans made to them, and never followed through. Trump was the best of the non-politicians running on the Repub side, and Hillary was the worst politician from either side. Ergo, Trump pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat.

3. Being a non politician, I give him leeway. He obviously didn't know what he can, and can not do. And, when he is told he can do something, the Democrats take him to court......a very lefty court, and stop him. That is not his fault, just like it was not Obama's fault the court stopped him from closing GITMO.

4. His ideas on foreign policy were likely to HAVE to change.

Why?

Because their isn't a regular citizen I know who is privy to the intel that Washington gets. Most all of those foreign policy positions were put forth, long before he got any briefs. Donald Trump had the same thought processes on the matter most of us have, because he had the same INFORMATION we had too. Now he doesn't, he knows what is really going on. We still don't know, although I see a lot of people on here try and pretend they do. If I have to defer to someone who now has all the facts, I would rather defer to someone who held MY position to start with, because if they changed their mind after seeing all the facts, they must have very good reason.

5. The wall.......which seems to be a big deal to most people! Do I think Trump has the same position on illegal immigration I do? Yes I do! Do we actually need a wall to stop illegal immigration, or at least bring it close to a standstill? I don't think so.

So when somebody says wall to me, I ask would I rather have a wall with Hillary as President and her views on illegal immigration, or no wall and Trump as President; for just the immigration issue alone!

A wall doesn't stop anyone if the people on this side of it make those bricks the only barrier. Obama proved that! So I am of the opinion that the wall is just a symbol; a very expensive symbol, but a symbol just the same.

I would ask both Democrats and Republicans a pertinent question, and they would give absolutely opposing answers, watch----------> What would you rather have in the next 24 months, and you MUST choose one, which means you will NOT get the other, but whichever you DO choose, the other doesn't happen--------->

QUESTION-----------> Choose 1 of the two, and the other does not happen, but you MUST choose 1----------> Wall starts being built, or...............criminal deportations down to and including DUI begin happening!

6. Repeal Obamacare. Excuse me, but that is NOT what he said, he said, "repeal and replace." Now I have another question-------> if he is to keep his word, what can he possibly replace it with that is cheaper, and better? What was the number 1 thing every conservative on this board insisted upon when Obamacare was winding its way through congress?

Let me refresh your memories Republicans-----------> (and I am paraphrasing here) THERE is NO way by the law of economics, that you can cover more people, for LESS money, and get better healthcare.

Do you Republicans REMEMBER saying that, yes or no!

Well Republicans, it was ECONOMICS, not President Obama that made your statements accurate. So now then, does Trump not go by the same law of economics? Do you actually believe that ANY politician (or businessperson/politician) is going to remove healthcare from even 5 million people who will now INSTANTLY vote against him/her, and their party?

So the reality is-----------> you can call it Obamacare, you can call it Trumpcare, or you can call it Martiancare, because it makes NO DIFFERENCE. We are STUCK with some form of this, and if we were just to repeal it, the House, Senate, and Presidency would turn quickly after all those pissed off people went to the polls, and the leftists would put it back in, and worse! You have got to face reality! I am not suggesting you have to like it, but face reality you must.

I knew this going in! Think I am wrong? Well then, give me a plan that saves money, (good luck with that alone) keeps most everyone insured, and the government isn't involved in a very heavy manner. Try it! Can't do it! As far as lower drug prices, how are you going to do that without government involvement?
So this repeal of Obamacare should be a non starter. Make it better, yes. More involvement from the private sector, yes. But, we allowed the Democrats to basically create a new entitlement, and now someone can just snap their fingers and take it away. Change it from Obamacare to Social Security or Medicare, and you will see exactly how absurd demanding this is. Of course Trump was full of it for making it seem as if he could do it, but then Bernie was telling everyone he was going to give them free college, and Hillary was going single payer, so I suppose non of them were very upfront, now were they.

So finally, let me answer your original question Mac!

Yes, I could easily turn and have enough of Trump. How? Easy! Each and every time he does something, I ask myself---------> What would Obama or Hillary do in the same situation! We have 8 years of Obama's choices, and Hillary was going to give us 4 more of that by her own campaign speeches.

And so--------->when he starts making choices that Hillary and Obama would make, then I have had enough because going back to my 1st paragraph---------->the only reason he was elected was to stop Hillary and a 3rd term of Obama. As another wise poster said--------->we would have elected Tiny Tim over Hillary, and that about sums it up. Everything positive Trump gives us over and above is just icing on the cake!
Good stuff, thanks. I had forgotten about #2, there was certainly a lot of anger from many in the party that their elected officials had let them down, and they wanted to give those people a wake up call.

And yes, when a conservative is comparing most of what Trump does to most of what Hillary or Bernie would have done, I can see where that would be a net positive, certainly.

There seems to be a separation between the individual issues taken as a whole, and the overall message Trump represents. The message (and I admit I still don't really get, when his behaviors are included) seems to be more important than the issues, so he's more likely to be forgiven for going back on his promises.

I don't know. I guess we'll know it if it happens, if it happens.

Mac, this is probably NOT the thread for it, but I would like you to consider a few things-------->

Remember GW, lol. He was suppose to have been a conservative, but think-------->besides his tax cuts, what did he do that was conservative? What did he change back? Was he actually pushing the country down a conservative road at all, or was he just a placeholder? (wait, he did put in John Roberts. Did he put in any others? I don't remember)

Now look at Trump. He is really NOT a conservative. I know this, and I am sure you know it too. What has he done!

1. Trashed thousands of regulations.

2. Turning back land the government seized to the states.

3. Got men out of the womens bathrooms.

4. Got a renegotiation of NAFTA.

5. Put a supposed conservative judge on SCOTUS.

6. Tried to stop possible terrorists from coming in with a temp ban.

7. Strengthened the border to try and stop illegals from crossing.

8. Has done everything in his power to put pressure on sanctuary cities.

9. Has put forth a simplified tax plan that no matter what the rates end up being, will help to finally get rid of lobbyists.

10. Has basically started negotiations with China.

No, he hasn't kept all his promises, but he sure is trying to do more than GW did. And what he is doing is far more conservative than GW ever thought of. I am intrigued that his policy, is more conservative than anyone since Reagan; and Trump isn't even a conservative.

Just think Mac, when he started rescinding all of those orders of Obama, and now wants to take a look at the antiquities acts since 96, it should tell you ONE TRUTH that all Democrats deny--------->how far LEFT the country has moved! If someone would have told you in 1970, that YOUR federal government was going to STEAL land larger than the state of Rhode Island from another state, what would you have said! How about if they told you they were going to let men go into the bathroom with your wife, even when she doesn't like it.......and in fact, not only let, but DEMAND that your wife let them in! Or how about all of those years we tried to become energy independent, and now they say it is better we aren't unless we pay through the nose for the governments choice of the type of energy they want!

Dude, we would have said reading that there was a mistake, and that was somewhere in Eastern Europe, not here in the USA! That is how far LEFT the Democratic party has gone, and the Republicans are moving LEFT with them, lol. Whenever some leftist on here says those infamous words about how far RIGHT the country has gone, I know 1 of 2 things-------->he/she is lying through their teeth to make political points.....or.........they are young and have absolutely no idea what America and the Democratic party was just 35 or 40 years ago. Hell, I was a Democrat, and happy to be one up until 1980! (still voted for BJC though the 2nd time around)

Anyway, point is--------->Trump is NOT rightwing, it is just these young people have lived in a time when the bar was moved so far left, they believe someone who is pretty close to the center, is a far, right, winger!
Okay, that helps me focus my thoughts on this guy. Now let's see if I can make sense of my thoughts, no guarantees here:

Yes, he's governing (early on) as a full-bore conservative, as you point out. But also as you point out, it was pretty clear during the campaign that he's NOT one. Personally, the expectation that he would govern as more of an independent made it easier for me to swallow his win. And I thought that was his appeal to many of his voters, too.

And unless I'm wrong, didn't he pull independent voters pretty strongly as well? So where I'm blowing a fuse is that, on one hand, the ACA and the wall were red meat for his base and he's backing up on them; his independence was red meat for the independents, and he's backing up on that, too.

That's why it's difficult to see how much his supporters will handle.

On the OTHER hand (I'm really trying to make sense here), there the whole thing OUTSIDE the issues, the big "fuck you" to the system. I can understand that to a point, and I wonder if that helps assuage his voters when it comes to the individual issues.

I have a tough time understanding partisan politics. Trump, for me, just makes it MORE difficult to understand.

Trump's current problem is that he stopped campaigning.
He has to replace almost every Republican in Congress as they're all bought and paid for.

1. He wasn't elected out of policy platforms, Hillary was defeated, there is a difference.

2. The Republican/independent voters are tired of the promises the Republicans made to them, and never followed through. Trump was the best of the non-politicians running on the Repub side, and Hillary was the worst politician from either side. Ergo, Trump pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat.

3. Being a non politician, I give him leeway. He obviously didn't know what he can, and can not do. And, when he is told he can do something, the Democrats take him to court......a very lefty court, and stop him. That is not his fault, just like it was not Obama's fault the court stopped him from closing GITMO.

4. His ideas on foreign policy were likely to HAVE to change.

Why?

Because their isn't a regular citizen I know who is privy to the intel that Washington gets. Most all of those foreign policy positions were put forth, long before he got any briefs. Donald Trump had the same thought processes on the matter most of us have, because he had the same INFORMATION we had too. Now he doesn't, he knows what is really going on. We still don't know, although I see a lot of people on here try and pretend they do. If I have to defer to someone who now has all the facts, I would rather defer to someone who held MY position to start with, because if they changed their mind after seeing all the facts, they must have very good reason.

5. The wall.......which seems to be a big deal to most people! Do I think Trump has the same position on illegal immigration I do? Yes I do! Do we actually need a wall to stop illegal immigration, or at least bring it close to a standstill? I don't think so.

So when somebody says wall to me, I ask would I rather have a wall with Hillary as President and her views on illegal immigration, or no wall and Trump as President; for just the immigration issue alone!

A wall doesn't stop anyone if the people on this side of it make those bricks the only barrier. Obama proved that! So I am of the opinion that the wall is just a symbol; a very expensive symbol, but a symbol just the same.

I would ask both Democrats and Republicans a pertinent question, and they would give absolutely opposing answers, watch----------> What would you rather have in the next 24 months, and you MUST choose one, which means you will NOT get the other, but whichever you DO choose, the other doesn't happen--------->

QUESTION-----------> Choose 1 of the two, and the other does not happen, but you MUST choose 1----------> Wall starts being built, or...............criminal deportations down to and including DUI begin happening!

6. Repeal Obamacare. Excuse me, but that is NOT what he said, he said, "repeal and replace." Now I have another question-------> if he is to keep his word, what can he possibly replace it with that is cheaper, and better? What was the number 1 thing every conservative on this board insisted upon when Obamacare was winding its way through congress?

Let me refresh your memories Republicans-----------> (and I am paraphrasing here) THERE is NO way by the law of economics, that you can cover more people, for LESS money, and get better healthcare.

Do you Republicans REMEMBER saying that, yes or no!

Well Republicans, it was ECONOMICS, not President Obama that made your statements accurate. So now then, does Trump not go by the same law of economics? Do you actually believe that ANY politician (or businessperson/politician) is going to remove healthcare from even 5 million people who will now INSTANTLY vote against him/her, and their party?

So the reality is-----------> you can call it Obamacare, you can call it Trumpcare, or you can call it Martiancare, because it makes NO DIFFERENCE. We are STUCK with some form of this, and if we were just to repeal it, the House, Senate, and Presidency would turn quickly after all those pissed off people went to the polls, and the leftists would put it back in, and worse! You have got to face reality! I am not suggesting you have to like it, but face reality you must.

I knew this going in! Think I am wrong? Well then, give me a plan that saves money, (good luck with that alone) keeps most everyone insured, and the government isn't involved in a very heavy manner. Try it! Can't do it! As far as lower drug prices, how are you going to do that without government involvement?
So this repeal of Obamacare should be a non starter. Make it better, yes. More involvement from the private sector, yes. But, we allowed the Democrats to basically create a new entitlement, and now someone can just snap their fingers and take it away. Change it from Obamacare to Social Security or Medicare, and you will see exactly how absurd demanding this is. Of course Trump was full of it for making it seem as if he could do it, but then Bernie was telling everyone he was going to give them free college, and Hillary was going single payer, so I suppose non of them were very upfront, now were they.

So finally, let me answer your original question Mac!

Yes, I could easily turn and have enough of Trump. How? Easy! Each and every time he does something, I ask myself---------> What would Obama or Hillary do in the same situation! We have 8 years of Obama's choices, and Hillary was going to give us 4 more of that by her own campaign speeches.

And so--------->when he starts making choices that Hillary and Obama would make, then I have had enough because going back to my 1st paragraph---------->the only reason he was elected was to stop Hillary and a 3rd term of Obama. As another wise poster said--------->we would have elected Tiny Tim over Hillary, and that about sums it up. Everything positive Trump gives us over and above is just icing on the cake!
Good stuff, thanks. I had forgotten about #2, there was certainly a lot of anger from many in the party that their elected officials had let them down, and they wanted to give those people a wake up call.

And yes, when a conservative is comparing most of what Trump does to most of what Hillary or Bernie would have done, I can see where that would be a net positive, certainly.

There seems to be a separation between the individual issues taken as a whole, and the overall message Trump represents. The message (and I admit I still don't really get, when his behaviors are included) seems to be more important than the issues, so he's more likely to be forgiven for going back on his promises.

I don't know. I guess we'll know it if it happens, if it happens.

Mac, this is probably NOT the thread for it, but I would like you to consider a few things-------->

Remember GW, lol. He was suppose to have been a conservative, but think-------->besides his tax cuts, what did he do that was conservative? What did he change back? Was he actually pushing the country down a conservative road at all, or was he just a placeholder? (wait, he did put in John Roberts. Did he put in any others? I don't remember)

Now look at Trump. He is really NOT a conservative. I know this, and I am sure you know it too. What has he done!

1. Trashed thousands of regulations.

2. Turning back land the government seized to the states.

3. Got men out of the womens bathrooms.

4. Got a renegotiation of NAFTA.

5. Put a supposed conservative judge on SCOTUS.

6. Tried to stop possible terrorists from coming in with a temp ban.

7. Strengthened the border to try and stop illegals from crossing.

8. Has done everything in his power to put pressure on sanctuary cities.

9. Has put forth a simplified tax plan that no matter what the rates end up being, will help to finally get rid of lobbyists.

10. Has basically started negotiations with China.

No, he hasn't kept all his promises, but he sure is trying to do more than GW did. And what he is doing is far more conservative than GW ever thought of. I am intrigued that his policy, is more conservative than anyone since Reagan; and Trump isn't even a conservative.

Just think Mac, when he started rescinding all of those orders of Obama, and now wants to take a look at the antiquities acts since 96, it should tell you ONE TRUTH that all Democrats deny--------->how far LEFT the country has moved! If someone would have told you in 1970, that YOUR federal government was going to STEAL land larger than the state of Rhode Island from another state, what would you have said! How about if they told you they were going to let men go into the bathroom with your wife, even when she doesn't like it.......and in fact, not only let, but DEMAND that your wife let them in! Or how about all of those years we tried to become energy independent, and now they say it is better we aren't unless we pay through the nose for the governments choice of the type of energy they want!

Dude, we would have said reading that there was a mistake, and that was somewhere in Eastern Europe, not here in the USA! That is how far LEFT the Democratic party has gone, and the Republicans are moving LEFT with them, lol. Whenever some leftist on here says those infamous words about how far RIGHT the country has gone, I know 1 of 2 things-------->he/she is lying through their teeth to make political points.....or.........they are young and have absolutely no idea what America and the Democratic party was just 35 or 40 years ago. Hell, I was a Democrat, and happy to be one up until 1980! (still voted for BJC though the 2nd time around)

Anyway, point is--------->Trump is NOT rightwing, it is just these young people have lived in a time when the bar was moved so far left, they believe someone who is pretty close to the center, is a far, right, winger!
Okay, that helps me focus my thoughts on this guy. Now let's see if I can make sense of my thoughts, no guarantees here:

Yes, he's governing (early on) as a full-bore conservative, as you point out. But also as you point out, it was pretty clear during the campaign that he's NOT one. Personally, the expectation that he would govern as more of an independent made it easier for me to swallow his win. And I thought that was his appeal to many of his voters, too.

And unless I'm wrong, didn't he pull independent voters pretty strongly as well? So where I'm blowing a fuse is that, on one hand, the ACA and the wall were red meat for his base and he's backing up on them; his independence was red meat for the independents, and he's backing up on that, too.

That's why it's difficult to see how much his supporters will handle.

On the OTHER hand (I'm really trying to make sense here), there the whole thing OUTSIDE the issues, the big "fuck you" to the system. I can understand that to a point, and I wonder if that helps assuage his voters when it comes to the individual issues.

I have a tough time understanding partisan politics. Trump, for me, just makes it MORE difficult to understand.
Partisan Politics...
Give a donation along with a packet of Legislation.
Very easy.

I voted for Trump because he pissed libs off the most.
Yes, that's a good example of the kind of depth I was expecting, thanks.

Out of context quotes, how regressive of you.
How is that out of context?

Because the remainder of the post modifies that statement.
The rest of his post is just his standard attacks and insults.

Which illustrate my point.

Bush's "Read my lips, no new taxes" is a good example. He meant it when he said it, but the situation on the ground changed

Trump on the other hand, gives the appearance of someone who would say anything to get elected and then quickly reneges once he takes office. Nobody changes their mind that often in that short a time period

Bush's "Read my lips, no new taxes" is a good example. He meant it when he said it, but the situation on the ground changed

Trump on the other hand, gives the appearance of someone who would say anything to get elected and then quickly reneges once he takes office. Nobody changes their mind that often in that short a time period

You respond with propaganda videos?

I don't think so

He has to replace almost every Republican in Congress as they're all bought and paid for.

Obama's problem that he had for eight years is that he was an affirmative action dumbass that was never really qualified for the job. He had no experience at anything and he simply was not very intelligent. The job was way over head and on top of that he did not have a work ethic. I guess that comes with being a pothead that never had a real job.

Obama's problem that he had for eight years is that he was an affirmative action dumbass that was never really qualified for the job. He had no experience at anything and he simply was not very intelligent. The job was way over head and on top of that he did not have a work ethic. I guess that comes with being a pothead that never had a real job.
I'm not a neo-Conservative and most of the Republicans in Congress are as bought and paid for as most of the Democrats.
I trust Democrats who are never interviewed on MSNBC.
I trust Republicans who are never interviewed on Fox.

Does it make sense for democrats to bring up an argument that alleges voters "breaking" from supporting a President after three months when it's an incontrovertible fact that Barry Hussein's policies broke the back of the democrat party in eight years when they went from a viable political power to a whiny obstructionist and leaderless party supported only by angry borderline psychotic lefties?

Of course, it is difficult for you to understand. You are accustomed to listening to a child and understanding a child which is very easy for you.

Now the adults have taken over and you have to listen and understand adults. Something much more difficult for you. Please bear with us. It took petulant former president Barack Hussein Obama eight years to create such a nightmare both with our economy as well as the chaos now around the world.

I also understand that you are extremely distraught that standing ovations were already given to President Donald Trump over his handling of Syria, China, North Korea and Afghanistan already.

Relax, breath deep and exhale slowly. It will all work out.

There isn't one when it comes to defunding science, infrastructure and education for these anti-American pieces of treasonous shit.

Sorry, but they dream of the same thing as the isis! That is christianity and the bible and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back