Republicans Err To Block HEROES Act Entirely

There is a lot of aid to states.

It will be interesting to see which Red State governors object to aid when the blob signs off on it. I'm guessing none of them will.
Republicans aren't objecting to "aid". They're objecting to a lot of wrong kind of aid, that Democrats are filling the bill with. The thing is, a lot of that is just dispensibles, Democrats use as bargaining chips. Republicans should be smart enough to see that, and not fall into a rather obvious political trap, in an election year.

I guess also that Red State governors won't object to aid (the right kind), and they shouldn't.

Republicans object to any financial aid that doesn’t go to corporations.

This is what Republicans object to: the deleterious effects of communism.

1. The government conducted a study, 1971-1978 known as the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment, or SIME-DIME, in which low income families were give a guaranteed income, a welfare package with everything liberal policy makers could hope for. Result: for every dollar of extra welfare given, low income recipients reduced their labor by 80 cents. http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/12794.pdf
[The results for husbands show that the combination of negative income tax plans tested in SIME/DIME — which, as already mentioned, represents on average a relatively generous cash transfer program with a guarantee of 115% of the poverty line and a tax rate of 50% — has a significant negative effect on hours worked per year. Overview of the Final Report of the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment]

a. Further results: dissolution of families: “This conclusion was unambiguously unfavorable to advocates of a negative income tax that would cover married couples, for two important reasons. First, increased
marital breakups among the poor would increase the numbers on
welfare and the amount of transfer payments, principally because the
separated wife and children would receive higher transfer payments.
Second, marital dissolutions and the usual accompanying absence of
fathers from households with children are generally considered unfavorable outcomes regardless of whether or not the welfare rolls increase.” http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/conf/conf30/conf30c.pdf

b. “When families received guaranteed income at 90% of the poverty level, there was a 43% increase in black family dissolution and a 63% increase in white family dissolution. At 125% of the poverty levels, dissolutions were 75% and 40%.” Robert B. Carleson, “Government Is The Problem,” p. 57.

Everything Liberals touch turns to .........mud.

I know you're right and that's exactly what pisses me off. Having to accept what will be bad for our country because it's politically expedient is what makes politics such an evil profession. It would be nice if responsibility and integrity were put back into politics but that profession has been perverted so much that good, honest people with good intentions are not welcome.
They don't have to accept what is bad. They just need to negotiate the bad stuff out of the bill, and accept what is good. Rejecting entirely is a mistake.

I know you're right and that's exactly what pisses me off. Having to accept what will be bad for our country because it's politically expedient is what makes politics such an evil profession. It would be nice if responsibility and integrity were put back into politics but that profession has been perverted so much that good, honest people with good intentions are not welcome.
They don't have to accept what is bad. They just need to negotiate the bad stuff out of the bill, and accept what is good. Rejecting entirely is a mistake.
How did that workout the last time? $25 million still went to the Kennedy Center for no apparent reason among many other Democratic perks

I don't think i've ever witnessed a better example of trickle down economics in these stimulus bills , RR must be rollin' in his grave!!! ~S~
Actually, its more like percolate UP economics. Money spent in the stores, boosting the economy.

How did that workout the last time? $25 million still went to the Kennedy Center for no apparent reason among other Democratic perks

Without buying votes and importing illegals, there'd be no Democrat Party.

I sense that Trump and the Republicans might be making a serious mistake regarding the new Democrat plan (the HEROES Act) to stimulate the economy, and help economic victims of the coronavirus national emergency.

Republicans have been dismissing the legislation, which is due to be voted on in the House tomorrow, saying that it is "aspirational", a "recipe for a prolonged recession.”, and "dead on arrival in the Senate". I haven't read the 1815 page monstrosity of this bill, and sure, it's loaded with Democrat pork, and things unacceptable to Republicans, and probably most Americans. I shudder to think what is in the immigration section of the bill, but Republicans need to be wary here, and not be so totally dismissive.

Democrats are playing a shrewd game with the HEROES Act. It is more than just a $3 Trillion legislation. It is a 2020 election year ploy, that if Republican's don't watch out, could cost them the presidential election, and even the Senate as well in November.

A few things should be carefully noted about this bill >>>

1. Democrats are unlikely to be insistent about everything in the bill. The $3 Trillion price tag, and all the stuff packed into the bill are probably just a starting point for NEGOTIATION. Like if you sell a car, and you want $6,000 for it, you ask for $7,000, and then let the buyer talk you down to what you want.

2. Many Americans are still in dire need of the $1200 stimulus checks that are part of the bill.

3. In November, many VOTERS will be irritated if Republicans are the ones they will see as the killers of the bill, and reason why they didn't get another needed $1200 check. Not what Trump and Republicans facing re-election want. This isn't what you give your political opponents on a silver platter.

4. The $3 trillion, whittled down to $1.5 or so, is a lot of spending, but so will be the spending in the stores (aka the economy) that will result from it, giving a big, needed boost to businesses, and the economy.

5. The coronavirus pandemic has not reached its final stages, or anything near that. In just the last few days, US deaths increased from 75,000 to more than 82,000, and still much more needs to be done, Reopening the economy right now (the Republicans' primary solution) is highly desired, but it might just be too soon.

I normally agree with a lot of the things you say but not this time.
The democrats have loaded it down with everything on their wish list including the kitchen sink. Their ideas for immigration, mail in ballots and the rest are just too much. Our credit card can't take the hit just for them to give a few crumbs to people. Trying to reason with them and find common ground would take until mid to late summer. That would put it close enough to the election that they can then tout that they were responsible for the whole bill.

The Democrats wrote the bill with the knowledge that it will fail. It's merely a conduit for messaging.

It makes no difference. People have already decided which way they're voting in November.
I'm not so sure about that. If people really NEED that next stimulus check, and Trump vetoes it, he'll have hell to pay. Republicans in Congress too.

No bill at all is a better result than this bill.
No bill could result in Joe Biden becoming president, and both houses of Congress controlled by Democrats. That would be far worse than this bill. But we're not talking about "this bill".. We're talking about a negotiated cutup of this bill.

Last edited:
I sense that Trump and the Republicans might be making a serious mistake regarding the new Democrat plan (the HEROES Act) to stimulate the economy, and help economic victims of the coronavirus national emergency.

Republicans have been dismissing the legislation, which is due to be voted on in the House tomorrow, saying that it is "aspirational", a "recipe for a prolonged recession.”, and "dead on arrival in the Senate". I haven't read the 1815 page monstrosity of this bill, and sure, it's loaded with Democrat pork, and things unacceptable to Republicans, and probably most Americans. I shudder to think what is in the immigration section of the bill, but Republicans need to be wary here, and not be so totally dismissive.

Democrats are playing a shrewd game with the HEROES Act. It is more than just a $3 Trillion legislation. It is a 2020 election year ploy, that if Republican's don't watch out, could cost them the presidential election, and even the Senate as well in November.

1. Democrats are unlikely to be insistent about everything in the bill. The $3 Trillion price tag, and all the stuff packed into the bill are probably just a starting point for NEGOTIATION. Like if you sell a car, and you want $6,000 for it, you ask for $7,000, and then let the buyer talk you down to what you want.

2. Many Americans are still in dire need of the $1200 stimulus checks that are part of the bill.

3. In November, many VOTERS will be irritated if Republicans are the ones they will see as the killers of the bill, and reason why they didn't get another needed $1200 check. Not what Trump and Republicans facing re-election want. This isn't what you give your political opponents on a silver platter.

4. The $3 trillion, whittled down to $1.5 or so, is a lot of spending, but so will be the spending in the stores (aka the economy) that will result from it, giving a big, needed boost to businesses, and the economy.

5. The coronavirus pandemic has not reached its final stages, or anything near that. In just the last few days, US deaths increased from 75,000 to more than 82,000, and still much more needs to be done, Reopening the economy right now (the Republicans' primary solution) is highly desired, but it might just be too soon.

Shockingly, I find myself agreeing with much of what you say here, in your caution to Republicans.

Trouble is, for the most part, your colleagues are arrogantly tone-deaf and optics-blind, and your most excellent warning will fall on deaf ears.

An occupational hazard of transitioning from a political party to a personality cult.

I got a $1200 check signed by Donald Trump. I'm not a corporation.

Democrats object to any financial aid that doesn't go to foreigners.

You do understand that this bill gives illegals the same rights as US citizens including the $1200 check? and that No one can be deported until after a cure is found? This is not a Hero's Bill but a Democratic wish list and should be called the Traitors Bill.
You do understand that this OP has the word "Entirely" in its title. As the OP explains the bad stuff can be negotiated out.

Shockingly, I find myself agreeing with much of what you say here, in your caution to Republicans.

Trouble is, for the most part, your colleagues are arrogantly tone-deaf and optics-blind, and your most excellent warning will fall on deaf ears.

An occupational hazard of transitioning from a political party to a personality cult.
There is time for reasoning to take place , and I'm hoping Trump will lead the party to a negotiated settlement of this bill, giving Americans needed help, while not accepting the looney parts of the bill.

How did that workout the last time? $25 million still went to the Kennedy Center for no apparent reason among many other Democratic perks
Well, they need to be more careful than that, and insistent on their terms. And just do it right.

It's dead on arrival,money for illegals

Well, they need to be more careful than that, and insistent on their terms. And just do it right.
Democrats have included the kitchen sink in this bill. Every single thing on the control and forwarding of socalism wish list is in this bill. Republicans need to put forth a clean bill with just what we actually need and not one cent more. Let the Dems struggle to add things.

I got a $1200 check signed by Donald Trump. I'm not a corporation.

Democrats object to any financial aid that doesn't go to foreigners.

Really. A whole $1200? Whoopy shit. How long will $1200 last in terms of paying your mortgage, utilities, and putting food on the table? Workers in Ontario are 55% of their earnings up to $2100 per month, guaranteed to the end of August, and likely to be extended.

Companies which keep employees on payroll will be getting assistance in doing that, but our focus is on getting money to people, not corporations. Large companies won't be getting assistance. Our focus is on getting money to the people.

As a retiree living on my pensions, my income hasn't been affected at all, and I received a $300 HST rebate last month, and this month, I'll be receiving a $500 government payment, over and above my monthly pensions. The $300 I got last month is still sitting in my savings account, since I can't go anywhere and nothing is open. I'm actually saving money since I'm generally spending money going out with friends, dining out, going shopping, or travelling. I want to spend the money locally - not online to some big faceless corporation, but in the small family restaurants and stores owned by my neighbours and friends, like the family owned furniture store which features Canadian made furniture. So for now the money sits in my bank account

Forum List

Back