Republicans just missed putting 700,000 more people out of work

Just think how many more refugees, immigrants and inner city youths could benefit from a proper works project administration with limitless funding...

Just think of the bridges that could be built ! Lol

Wonder how many people are going to be out of work due to Obama wanting to close coal mines..

As usual, frackin' Republicans/rightwingers attack the wrong thing/person for their self-created problems.

Straighten your skirt, your ODS is showing-----again!

coal-mining-jobs-on-the-rise-under-obama/

By John Upton
10 Apr 2013

<snip>

From the Appalachian Voices report:

screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-10-34-16-am.png
appvoices.org

From a press release put out by Appalachian Voices:
“These numbers show pretty clearly that the purported ‘war on coal’ is an utter fabrication,” says Matt Wasson, director of programs at Appalachian Voices. “Even as this administration and the Environmental Protection Agency are making some important steps toward controlling coal pollution — from mining, burning, and burying the waste — the job numbers nationwide have been growing.”
While the data show some variations among coal-producing states, each of the top ten has had more mining jobs on average under the Obama administration than under the Bush administration. Nine of those states saw higher coal mining employment in 2012 than at any point during the Bush years. …
“We continue to hear industry’s cries that environmental regulations are unfair and costly. The fact is, the costs have always been there, only they’ve been borne by the people living in coal-impacted communities who can’t drink their water, who are breathing polluted air, who are suffering from cancer and heart disease,” says Wasson.

To all the coal companies out there complaining that rules and regulations are making life hard for you, please, cry us a river.

No, seriously, cry us a river please. You’ve ruined many of ours and we would like some of them back.

Gee, I wonder why the Appalachian Voices would say that. Oh, that's right, "Appalachia".

And look at what I said, 85,000 and you show a chart that's around 85,000. Guess you showed me. :lol:

Coal-dependent businesses fight to hold on, as industry shrinks - CSMonitor.com

LMAO @U - I post an article that backs up your number and you get all pissy about it? -pewsh!-

The point is; as usual the ODSers have been duped then-----then attack the wrong target. The coal industry job decline happened during the Reagan, HW Bush and Clinton administrations then-----then recovered slightly under GW Bush and that recovery has continued during the Obama administration but-----but mountaintop removal and high tech mining were the greatest reasons for job losses during the Reagan, Bush and Clinton administrations now-----now fracking will...

Triviia: In KY during the 2012 election, Obama was so unpopular because of his "job killing" coal policies that Obama lost KY by 23% and yet-----and yet only 0.6% of Kentuckians work in the coal industry and more Kentuckians were employed in the coal industry in 2012 then there were when GW Bush left office...WTF?

new-energy-paradigm/coal-country-s-decline-has-a-long-history

By Patrick Reis

October 31, 2013

<snip>

The president's regulatory push has left him and his party deeply unpopular across the region: Bill Clinton won Kentucky and West Virginia in both of his presidential elections; Obama lost both states, twice, in landslides.

But for all the rage over Obama's environmental agenda, mining jobs began disappearing in the region long before he entered the White House, for reasons that have nothing to do with regulations now coming out of Washington.

In fact, coal mining jobs in Appalachia fared far worse under the Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Clinton, administrations than they have under Obama.

According to employment counts from the Mine Safety and Health Administration, from 1983—the earliest year for which MSHA had data—to 1989, combined coal jobs in West Virginia and Kentucky fell from 79,000 to 64,000.

In the following four years under the first President Bush, coal jobs in the two states fell to 56,000. And by the final year of the Clinton administration, the states' combined total of mining jobs had fallen to a nadir of 33,000.

By comparison, West Virginia and Kentucky coal-mining payrolls have been relatively stable during Obama's first four years in office: In 2009, there were just under 43,000 coal miners in the two states combined. In 2012, the latest year for which MSHA has final data, the count totaled just over 41,000.

So what's driving the decline? First and foremost: changes in the industry.

Despite mining employment being cut nearly in half since 1983, the two states' combined coal output has basically held steady, dropping from 245 million short tons in 1983 to 240 million short tons in 2011.

Advances in mining technology have made miners more efficient.

Indeed, the traditional images of coal mines—dark holes filled with men swinging pickaxes and pushing carts—are no more. Today, it is machines that are ripping coal from the mines' walls, and then automatic conveyor belts whipping the fuel back to the surface.

And much of the production has moved above ground entirely, thanks to a practice known as mountaintop-removal mining, in which miners use controlled explosions to open mountains and mine the newly exposed coal seams.

For the miners and other industry employees who still hold jobs, the increased productivity has paid off. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nominal average annual coal industry employee wages in West Virginia sat at $54,000. By 2012, the average employee was taking home nearly $85,000.

The starring role of mechanization, however, does not mean that federal policies have no effect on the number of coal jobs.

The region saw its fortunes reverse under President George W. Bush, who in 2002 relaxed rules on mountaintop-removal mining to give companies more leeway to dump their leftovers into the region's waterways. From 2001 to 2008, West Virginia and Kentucky's combined coal industry experienced a mini-revival, adding an average of about 1,000 mining jobs per year.

But as industry officials argue they could experience another such revival, they face a new hurdle that had not yet fully taken off in the early 2000s. Today, they face stiffer competition from natural gas, which is both more abundant and less expensive due to the fracking boom.

Posting "facts" is not evil behavior. But posting lies, like saying trillions, is. Try to figure out why.

posting facts and then spinning those facts is dishonest behavior....try to figure out why....

He would have to post facts before he could spin them;)

Dean has posted many a legitimate story.....its what he says afterwards that has given him the rep he has here.....like his "i hate Republican" monolog that comes with 90% of his threads.....

First of all it sure looks like a bi-partisan vote and yet rdean paints it as anything but. Of course when division and strife is the real goal that is what people will do.

Not only is Obama putting out of work coal miners he is doing in the electrical utilities that supply rdean with his electricity. Perhaps rdean can hook a generator to the propeller on his beany cap and make a real difference.

After 30 years of Reaganist pander to the rich tax rates and policies, our infrastructure is a disgrace- and most everything else- see sig. There's never been a cheaper time to invest- and add good jobs...

You spent trillions in stimulus on infrastructure, or so you claimed. Now you need more money?

And no, I know you didn't actually spend that money on infrastructure. but considering you spent all that infrastructure on paying back Obama donors, why the hell should we trust you with more money?

Trillions? Not quite. Far from it, thanks to the GOP.

Transportation Stimulus: Where Did Federal Funding Go? - TIME

Not anymore. Obama's new proposal to pour another $50 billion into "roads, railways and runways" has gotten no support whatsoever from Republicans. They're now marching in lockstep against all stimulus spending; they say the government simply can't create jobs, except through tax cuts. Of course, Obama has proposed new tax cuts as well, and Republicans aren't backing those either. These days, they'd march in lockstep against apple pie if Obama served it.

And, like the article states, the republicans had no problem taking credit for Obama's work, did they?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...criticizes-republicans-who-opposed-stimulus-/

I know you want to silence anyone who points out your evil behavior, but too bad.

Posting "facts" is not evil behavior. But posting lies, like saying trillions, is. Try to figure out why.

You don't know the first thing about facts, though I am sure you do know "facts". See facts, deal with reality. Your propaganda will never be reality.

If you agree that posting lies are evil, then you've conceded that you are evil.

But "trillions" is a lie. What lie did I say?

You spent trillions in stimulus on infrastructure, or so you claimed. Now you need more money?

And no, I know you didn't actually spend that money on infrastructure. but considering you spent all that infrastructure on paying back Obama donors, why the hell should we trust you with more money?

I spent trillions? Not me. Trillions were spent on infrastructure. Yea, that's true. By the Republicans in fucking IRAQ. We know that to be a fact.

Republicans spent trillions on Iraq and we are still paying. Only Republicans are so stupid, they pay for wars with tax cuts. No one else does that. Only Republicans.

Hey, look, you made a deflection! Everyone else has been talking about how Obama demanded billions be spent on infrastructure improvements in his stimulus plans and gave it to the already incredibly wealthy, but you managed to talk about Republicans and Iraq! Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Is that what they are talking about? I guess that is "pretty amazing".

Just think how many more refugees, immigrants and inner city youths could benefit from a proper works project administration with limitless funding...

Just think of the bridges that could be built ! Lol

If we could spend trillions in Iraq to destabilize the Middle East and give trillions in tax cuts that went mostly to those who are already wealthy beyond belief, then why not spend a pittance on this country to make it better for everyone else?

As usual, frackin' Republicans/rightwingers attack the wrong thing/person for their self-created problems.

Straighten your skirt, your ODS is showing-----again!

coal-mining-jobs-on-the-rise-under-obama/

By John Upton
10 Apr 2013

<snip>

From the Appalachian Voices report:

screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-10-34-16-am.png
appvoices.org

From a press release put out by Appalachian Voices:
“These numbers show pretty clearly that the purported ‘war on coal’ is an utter fabrication,” says Matt Wasson, director of programs at Appalachian Voices. “Even as this administration and the Environmental Protection Agency are making some important steps toward controlling coal pollution — from mining, burning, and burying the waste — the job numbers nationwide have been growing.”
While the data show some variations among coal-producing states, each of the top ten has had more mining jobs on average under the Obama administration than under the Bush administration. Nine of those states saw higher coal mining employment in 2012 than at any point during the Bush years. …
“We continue to hear industry’s cries that environmental regulations are unfair and costly. The fact is, the costs have always been there, only they’ve been borne by the people living in coal-impacted communities who can’t drink their water, who are breathing polluted air, who are suffering from cancer and heart disease,” says Wasson.

To all the coal companies out there complaining that rules and regulations are making life hard for you, please, cry us a river.

No, seriously, cry us a river please. You’ve ruined many of ours and we would like some of them back.

Gee, I wonder why the Appalachian Voices would say that. Oh, that's right, "Appalachia".

And look at what I said, 85,000 and you show a chart that's around 85,000. Guess you showed me. :lol:

Coal-dependent businesses fight to hold on, as industry shrinks - CSMonitor.com

LMAO @U - I post an article that backs up your number and you get all pissy about it? -pewsh!-

The point is; as usual the ODSers have been duped then-----then attack the wrong target. The coal industry job decline happened during the Reagan, HW Bush and Clinton administrations then-----then recovered slightly under GW Bush and that recovery has continued during the Obama administration but-----but mountaintop removal and high tech mining were the greatest reasons for job losses during the Reagan, Bush and Clinton administrations now-----now fracking will...

Triviia: In KY during the 2012 election, Obama was so unpopular because of his "job killing" coal policies that Obama lost KY by 23% and yet-----and yet only 0.6% of Kentuckians work in the coal industry and more Kentuckians were employed in the coal industry in 2012 then there were when GW Bush left office...WTF?

new-energy-paradigm/coal-country-s-decline-has-a-long-history

By Patrick Reis

October 31, 2013

<snip>

The president's regulatory push has left him and his party deeply unpopular across the region: Bill Clinton won Kentucky and West Virginia in both of his presidential elections; Obama lost both states, twice, in landslides.

But for all the rage over Obama's environmental agenda, mining jobs began disappearing in the region long before he entered the White House, for reasons that have nothing to do with regulations now coming out of Washington.

In fact, coal mining jobs in Appalachia fared far worse under the Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Clinton, administrations than they have under Obama.

According to employment counts from the Mine Safety and Health Administration, from 1983—the earliest year for which MSHA had data—to 1989, combined coal jobs in West Virginia and Kentucky fell from 79,000 to 64,000.

In the following four years under the first President Bush, coal jobs in the two states fell to 56,000. And by the final year of the Clinton administration, the states' combined total of mining jobs had fallen to a nadir of 33,000.

By comparison, West Virginia and Kentucky coal-mining payrolls have been relatively stable during Obama's first four years in office: In 2009, there were just under 43,000 coal miners in the two states combined. In 2012, the latest year for which MSHA has final data, the count totaled just over 41,000.

So what's driving the decline? First and foremost: changes in the industry.

Despite mining employment being cut nearly in half since 1983, the two states' combined coal output has basically held steady, dropping from 245 million short tons in 1983 to 240 million short tons in 2011.

Advances in mining technology have made miners more efficient.

Indeed, the traditional images of coal mines—dark holes filled with men swinging pickaxes and pushing carts—are no more. Today, it is machines that are ripping coal from the mines' walls, and then automatic conveyor belts whipping the fuel back to the surface.

And much of the production has moved above ground entirely, thanks to a practice known as mountaintop-removal mining, in which miners use controlled explosions to open mountains and mine the newly exposed coal seams.

For the miners and other industry employees who still hold jobs, the increased productivity has paid off. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nominal average annual coal industry employee wages in West Virginia sat at $54,000. By 2012, the average employee was taking home nearly $85,000.

The starring role of mechanization, however, does not mean that federal policies have no effect on the number of coal jobs.

The region saw its fortunes reverse under President George W. Bush, who in 2002 relaxed rules on mountaintop-removal mining to give companies more leeway to dump their leftovers into the region's waterways. From 2001 to 2008, West Virginia and Kentucky's combined coal industry experienced a mini-revival, adding an average of about 1,000 mining jobs per year.

But as industry officials argue they could experience another such revival, they face a new hurdle that had not yet fully taken off in the early 2000s. Today, they face stiffer competition from natural gas, which is both more abundant and less expensive due to the fracking boom.

I'm sorry, I was reading this part, "“These numbers show pretty clearly that the purported ‘war on coal’ is an utter fabrication,” says Matt Wasson, director of programs at Appalachian Voices. “Even as this administration and the Environmental Protection Agency are making some important steps toward controlling coal pollution — from mining, burning, and burying the waste — the job numbers nationwide have been growing.” and thought that was against everything I have read for the last couple of years. Then I realized it was from the "Appalachian Voices" and felt it was like people on this site using Breitbart as a news source. I will be more careful in the future.

War on coal: Kentucky coal jobs lowest in half a century | The Daily Caller

The first quarter of 2013 saw an average of 13,109 people employed in coal mines and related facilities &#8212; down 990 people from the end of 2012. The last 18 months have seen Kentucky lose 5,700 coal jobs &#8212; a 30 percent drop from September 2011 employment numbers.

Coal mining jobs nationwide took a tumble in April as the coal industry shed 1,600 jobs. While some have blamed economic factors like cheap natural gas and the fact that Appalachian coal is expensive relative to other sources of coal around the country, some have also pointed to onerous federal regulations that target the coal industry.

Read more: War on coal: Kentucky coal jobs lowest in half a century | The Daily Caller

War on coal: Kentucky coal jobs lowest in half a century | The Daily Caller

The first quarter of 2013 saw an average of 13,109 people employed in coal mines and related facilities — down 990 people from the end of 2012. The last 18 months have seen Kentucky lose 5,700 coal jobs — a 30 percent drop from September 2011 employment numbers.

Coal mining jobs nationwide took a tumble in April as the coal industry shed 1,600 jobs. While some have blamed economic factors like cheap natural gas and the fact that Appalachian coal is expensive relative to other sources of coal around the country, some have also pointed to onerous federal regulations that target the coal industry.

Read more: War on coal: Kentucky coal jobs lowest in half a century | The Daily Caller

At about (1975) the start of the Carter administration there were 193,787 coal miners employed in the US. About (1980) the time Carter left office 34,782 coal miner jobs had been created but-----but during the Reagan/Bush/Clinton years the coal industry had shed 157,047 (2000) jobs then-----then there was a little bump during the Bush II years. That bump in coal miner employment has held pretty steady through the 5½ years Obama has been in office.

When the article you linked to from "The Daily Caller" says "Coal mining jobs nationwide took a tumble in April as the coal industry shed 1,600 jobs. While some have blamed economic factors like cheap natural gas and the fact that Appalachian coal is expensive relative to other sources of coal around the country," it makes me wonder why they added the caveat "some have also pointed to onerous federal regulations that target the coal industry." when in fact-----when in fact, the coal industry has been shedding jobs since about 1920 and-----and during the less regulated Reagan administration, coal industry jobs decreased by almost 100,000 jobs? Think "The Daily Caller is trying to dupe the easily duped rightwingers that read their rag?

Year Total U.S. Coal Miner Employment
1900 269,684 448,581 0.60​
1910 501,596 725,030 0.69​
1920 658,265 784,621 0.84​
1930 527,172 644,006 0.82​
1940 512,256 530,388 0.97​
1950 560,388 488,206 1.15​
1955 490,838 258,616 1.90​
1960 434,329 188,451 2.30​
1965 526,954 144,864 3.64​
1970 612,659 146,078 4.19​
1975 654,641 193,787 3.38​
1980 829,700 228,569 3.63​
1985 883,638 169,281 5.22​
1990 1,029,076 131,306 7.84​
1995 1,033,000 83,462 12.38​
2000 1,073,600 71,522 15.01​
2006 1,162,750 82,595 14.08​

Wonder how many people are going to be out of work due to Obama wanting to close coal mines..
rdean supports this.

It helps the Giant Corporations that benefit from the Artificial Scarcity created by Gov'ts shutting down production in one area and allowing the Corporations who own them to do what they please.

rdean supports Crony Capitalism. rdean hates the American worker. rdean hates the American family. rdean hates America.

It's me that supports corporations? I support corporations? Me?

Gee, I hate to have to break it to you Stinky, but you have me mixed up with the GOP. I like Americans to have access to education so they can get good jobs. I want them to have health care. These are things Republicans are against. Everyone knows it and the GOP base is proud of it.

If your claim is about having good jobs, then where do you think these jobs reside? In the very corporations you deride on a daily basis...

Probably the best indicator of Coal and employment can not be had by just looking at the number of those employed. A lot of the lost jobs were/are due to production/employee increases.

So a better judge, in my opinion, is total coal production. I have not heard of the US running out of coal so the amount of production should not be effected by supply.

So here is a site that tells you what coal production did from 2011 to 2012:

http://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/pdf/table1.pdf

Total production down 7 percent.

rdean supports this.

It helps the Giant Corporations that benefit from the Artificial Scarcity created by Gov'ts shutting down production in one area and allowing the Corporations who own them to do what they please.

rdean supports Crony Capitalism. rdean hates the American worker. rdean hates the American family. rdean hates America.

yes another example of the Lefts War on America

this time wiping out the little guy

they eat this shit up

Forum List

Back