Republicans to target unions, expand school choice in states

How does Trump propose to break the teachers' unions from the federal level?

National Right to Work legislation. Teachers won't have their wages extorted by union dues.

Next question?

Aha, see? States' rights go right under the bus once the Right thinks it has some federal power.

Not at all. Unions are free to establish - they just don't get to rob the worker with forced dues. Membership is voluntary...that is what freedom is versus union ownership of workers.

National Right to Work legislation. Teachers won't have their wages extorted by union dues.

Next question?

lol, best joke of the day. The union vote is only reason Trump is president.

Think that legislation will withstand a Senate filibuster? lol

What makes you think you can? Harry changed the rules...51 votes, not 60 anymore.

Ever hear of attachment to a must pass bill?

The rules weren't changed for normal legislation. Idiot.

The only correct thing you posted is that people who have to pay for their children's education out of their own pocket make sure they are getting their monies worth. And you do know that vouchers (in most cases) don't cover the entire cost of education, don't you? Parents still have to pony up at least some money.

which doesn't help the problem you guys say you want to correct. if you are too poor to afford private school, you are still too poor even with a voucher.

How does that help the poor kids again?

Oh, wait. Helping the poor kids was never the plan, was it?

I said in most cases. When you get a voucher, you can spend it anyway you like. Find a school that you can afford to send your children to.

Do you really believe that parents are too stupid to make the best decision for their children's education? If your public school is loaded with drugs and violence, any school is better for your kid if he or she really wants to learn.

You want me to pay school taxes AND pay you a voucher to put your kids in private school?

Found this on my local news station site and decided to throw it out there. The meat of the article says this:

"As President-elect Donald Trump leads an attempted makeover in Washington, Republican governors and state lawmakers will be simultaneously pushing an aggressive agenda that limits abortion, lawsuits and unions, cuts business taxes and regulations, and expands gun rights and school choice.

Republicans will hold 33 governors' offices, have majorities in 33 legislatures and control both the governor's office and legislature in 25 states - their most since 1952. Democrats will control both the governor's office and legislature in only about a half-dozen states; the rest will have politically divided governments."

Republicans to target unions, expand school choice in states

So is this such a bad agenda? I predict more snowflakes a falling.

The states with strong teachers' unions have the best educational records in the country.

Why fuck with that?

:link::link::link:

Look it up. Or, use your head. You think Mississippi has a better public school system than New York, or Massachusetts?

Yep, that's what I thought.

Now what do you mean by "strong" union support? Unions are unions, are they not?

Michelle Obama: Hope and Change was supposed to be when the Democrat Controlled government was going to tell every parent America what to teach their kids in grades 3 thru 12. And any parent attempting to teach their kids the real truth about our history would be thrown in jail !!

The OP article pertains to the wide gains GOP has made in state governments and changes at that level. From what I read of the article it doesn't go here but I see Trump's part as getting the Supreme Court nomination right so these changes aren't negated by the courts.

The only correct thing you posted is that people who have to pay for their children's education out of their own pocket make sure they are getting their monies worth. And you do know that vouchers (in most cases) don't cover the entire cost of education, don't you? Parents still have to pony up at least some money.

which doesn't help the problem you guys say you want to correct. if you are too poor to afford private school, you are still too poor even with a voucher.

I said in most cases. When you get a voucher, you can spend it anyway you like. Find a school that you can afford to send your children to.

Do you really believe that parents are too stupid to make the best decision for their children's education? If your public school is loaded with drugs and violence, any school is better for your kid if he or she really wants to learn.

You want me to pay school taxes AND pay you a voucher to put your kids in private school?

It would only be the start. When it becomes more popular, you can take public money out of the public schools and apply it to vouchers. I have a better idea though: I think home school parents should be able to teach other children in the neighborhood as well. Last I looked, the average cost per capita is something like 12K per year per student. Why not give home school parents 8K a year for each student they decide to teach? It would replace that lost second income while at the same time, save the taxpayers 4K per student every year.

I think you forget the concept of the law of supply and demand. right now, private schools only educate 9% of our kids. If they are affordable, it's because there isn't that much demand for them. You give everyone a voucher, demand goes up, supply stays the same, what happens to cost?

Come on, this is grade school economics, buddy. At least it was in the Catholic Grade School

Then you clean up the drugs and violence... you don't do a huge giveaway to private interests that doesn't solve the problem.

I thought conservatives wanted to get the federal government OUT of the education business?

What happened to that?

It would only be the start. When it becomes more popular, you can take public money out of the public schools and apply it to vouchers. I have a better idea though: I think home school parents should be able to teach other children in the neighborhood as well. Last I looked, the average cost per capita is something like 12K per year per student. Why not give home school parents 8K a year for each student they decide to teach? It would replace that lost second income while at the same time, save the taxpayers 4K per student every year.

I have a better idea. How about we require parents to be certified as TEACHERS?

So is this such a bad agenda? I predict more snowflakes a falling.

given that Charter schools have worse record than public schools, and that's before all the protections to keep the scams out are eliminated, um, yeah, that would be a bad thing.

The thing about it is, no one wants to set up Charter Schools in the Cleetus states. There's no money to be made there. They want to get into LA and NY and Chicago, where there are big old pots of money to be had.

Joe The people of the United States did not say no, only the liberals of NY and California said no and the rest of the country sure do not want those clowns making any type of important decisions.

It's the same old conservative insanity:

Pay teachers less, give them fewer benefits, take away their negotiating rights,

and then, according to conservatives,

good people will FLOCK to the teaching profession!

i wonder if many grade schools are hanging posters of polar bears living on sheets of ice with a caption reading that its the fault of our white parents driving too many SUV's

Forum List

Back