I always admired the men and women who sat down
for their rights
And held in disdain the men and women who spat
on them
Everyone deserves Sanctuary a place to go where you are
safe
Art offers Sanctuary to everyone willing
to open their hearts as well as their eyes

Egyptians circled their National Museum to protect their culture and preserve their national identity.

American conservatives want to defund the National Endowment for the Arts and Public Broadcasting.

And they call themselves 'Family Values Advocates'. The arts are family values.

I wonder why Conservatives chafe when they are regarded as uncultured, boorish and stupid. On this thread, they want to do away with the arts. On another thread, they champion the teaching of "intelligent design" as real science. And, on yet another thread, they shout about the damage same sex marriage will cause to the institution of marriage. On still another thread, they claim that frozen zygotes are actually human beings.

Makes me wonder why they should be listened to at all.

The arts are family values?

Sorry but public funding for crosses in jars of piss are not representative of any values.

The government cannot decide what passes as art. That should be for the public to decide. And no one wants to "do away" with arts. It's just not responsibility of the fucking government to spend our money on it.

Last edited:
Egyptians circled their National Museum to protect their culture and preserve their national identity.

American conservatives want to defund the National Endowment for the Arts and Public Broadcasting.

I wonder why Conservatives chafe when they are regarded as uncultured, boorish and stupid. On this thread, they want to do away with the arts. On another thread, they champion the teaching of "intelligent design" as real science. And, on yet another thread, they shout about the damage same sex marriage will cause to the institution of marriage. On still another thread, they claim that frozen zygotes are actually human beings.

Sorry but public funding for crosses in jars of piss are not representative of any values.

The government cannot decide what passes as art. That should be for the public to decide.
1987. Twenty four years ago. That's when "piss Christ" was first shown. And you would have all arts defunded based on the few dollars granted to a show nearly a quarter century ago. You have discovered the world's thinnest argument.

The government cannot decide what passes as art. That should be for the public to decide.
1987. Twenty four years ago. That's when "piss Christ" was first shown. And you would have all arts defunded based on the few dollars granted to a show nearly a quarter century ago. You have discovered the world's thinnest argument.

You make it sound like there wouldn't be any artists if the fucking government didn't spend our tax dollars funding it.

WRONG.

The government is not responsible for the livelihood of any so called artist. I don't care if he's the next fucking Van Gogh or Mozart.

The quality of the artists art and the receptiveness of the public are the only things that should bring money to an artist, not my fucking tax dollars.

You make it sound like there wouldn't be any artists if the fucking government didn't spend our tax dollars funding it.

WRONG.

The government is not responsible for the livelihood of any so called artist. I don't care if he's the next fucking Van Gogh or Mozart.

The quality of the artists art and the receptiveness of the public are the only things that should bring money to an artist, not my fucking tax dollars.
Artists have always depended on patrons. Would you have art accessible to only those with means? If that were indeed the unfortunate case, what is supposed to influence and instruct the next generation of artists?

Does a great nation like the United States deserve great art?

WRONG.

Artists have always depended on patrons. Would you have art accessible to only those with means? If that were indeed the unfortunate case, what is supposed to influence and instruct the next generation of artists?

Then let private citizens use their own fucking money to pay an artist. The government has no authority to waste my tax dollars on so called art.

And tell me does the government get ownership of any so called art it patronizes? Does the government tell the artist what to produce or order art to fulfill a specific purpose? If not then what the fuck is it paying for?

Last edited:

WRONG.

Then let private citizens use their own fucking money to pay an artist. The government has no authority to waste my tax dollars on so called art.
Just out of curiosity, how many of your tax dollars are being used to fund the arts? Better yet, out of one dollar of taxes paid, how many cents are used to fund art?

Just out of curiosity, how many of your tax dollars are being used to fund the arts? Better yet, out of one dollar of taxes paid, how many cents are used to fund art?

It doesn't matter how much. Why should it?

Between 1965 and 2008 the NEA spent 4 billion in tax dollars.

It seems to really burn you that some folks are getting enjoyment and enlightenment out of the arts you few pennies bought. Maybe they could be just as entertained by watching Mythbusters or hanging a black velvet Elvis in their doublewide.

It seems to really burn you that some folks are getting enjoyment and enlightenment out of the arts you few pennies bought. Maybe they could be just as entertained by watching Mythbusters or hanging a black velvet Elvis in their doublewide.

I don't give a fucking decayed rat's ass what people watch on the idiot box as long as they're paying their own fucking bills.

it's not my job to entertain or enlighten anyone nor is it my responsibility to pay for it.

I don't give a fucking decayed rat's ass what people watch on the idiot box as long as they're paying their own fucking bills.

it's not my job to entertain or enlighten anyone nor is it my responsibility to pay for it.
You're right. The last thing this nation needs is a bunch of folks who are enlightened. After all, they can listen to Limbaugh for free.

And thus goes our society. When the uncultured want to tell society what culture is, the whole thing spins clockwise down the pipe.

You're right. The last thing this nation needs is a bunch of folks who are enlightened. After all, they can listen to Limbaugh for free.

And thus goes our society. When the uncultured want to tell society what culture is, the whole thing spins clockwise down the pipe.

And the government is the final arbiter as to culture?

There was art and culture before the fucking government overstepped its bounds and started spending tax money on so called art.

Whenever the right wing in America tell you media is liberal, I shake my head and wonder who what when where how. Corporations own 'Big Media' in America and corporations are not liberal by any definition of the word. But then there is a smidgen of good broadcasting left and that I guess is the last remaining target of the right. Media that doesn't presnt the nonsense heard on right wing radio or Fox is the target today. No need for Big Brother when you control the message all the messages. [Amazon.com: What Orwell Didn't Know: Propaganda and the New Face of American Politics (9781586485603): Andras Szanto, Orville Schell: Books]

'House GOP Budget Takes Away All Federal Funding for Corporation for Public Broadcasting' by Huma Khan

"As the House prepares for debate today on the budget, Republicans are trying to cut off public funding for NPR and the Public Broadcasting Service, which run such iconic programs as "Sesame Street" and "Morning Edition."" As Budget Debates Begin, Republicans Put NPR, PBS on Chopping Block | Common Dreams
ah, more liberal fear mongering

You've never seen an original thread from me? My dear child, the only threads I ever start are original thoughts.... I never start a thread with a link to someone else's opinion, or a media article. I don't "prove" my opinions by linking to the media, I don't quote others in my posts, I don't give book reviews as posts..... I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Never. Links please. I've answered you the last time you raised this same ad hominem, put up or shut up.

And there is nothing wrong with sharing ideas from reasonable, reliable sources. So far I only see you repeat the slogans and rhetoric of the right perfectly, if you think repeating the same silliness originality, so be it, but if not, let's see the originality. Three or four links would be nice.

Due to the widespread prevalence of Dunning-Kruger effect among conservatives and republicans, a healthcare proviso has been amended to the original bill. midcan

Whenever the right wing in America tell you media is liberal, I shake my head and wonder who what when where how. Corporations own 'Big Media' in America and corporations are not liberal by any definition of the word. But then there is a smidgen of good broadcasting left and that I guess is the last remaining target of the right. Media that doesn't presnt the nonsense heard on right wing radio or Fox is the target today. No need for Big Brother when you control the message all the messages. [Amazon.com: What Orwell Didn't Know: Propaganda and the New Face of American Politics (9781586485603): Andras Szanto, Orville Schell: Books]

'House GOP Budget Takes Away All Federal Funding for Corporation for Public Broadcasting' by Huma Khan

"As the House prepares for debate today on the budget, Republicans are trying to cut off public funding for NPR and the Public Broadcasting Service, which run such iconic programs as "Sesame Street" and "Morning Edition."" As Budget Debates Begin, Republicans Put NPR, PBS on Chopping Block | Common Dreams

Don't you know that without PBS, NPR and the NEA our kids won't learn to read or count and we'll all be culture less barbarians.

url

Don't you know that without PBS, NPR and the NEA our kids won't learn to read or count and we'll all be culture less barbarians.

url
"children will starve, old folks put out into the streets"

the same old same old from the liberal talking heads and their willing sycophants

The mainstream media is completely owned by the left, except for Fox and a couple of very insignificant islands of centrist production. The fact that "corporations" own the media does not mean that the media is right wing, it means more corporations are owned by billionaire leftists like George Soros than d*mbf*ck posters who think all corporations are owned by the right know about.

Forum List

Back