Respect

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A lot of people (usually those who have no actual experience with the topic) are quick to write off kids who are trying to get an education while struggling to get by under living conditions that I seriously doubt anyone reading this could survive, let alone thrive, under. Today a student went to significant effort to contact me outside of class hours to ask for help in completing a big project that has been keeping his grade down. He stayed online, working through the project step by step, until he had finished enough to wrap it up by himself. This student deals with challenges every day that would be hard to explain, and is the kind of young person that the "you can't walk through that neighborhood!" types would be frightened of at first glance. But he is a very intelligent and dedicated student who has a clear understanding of the relationship between education and his future. It is humbling and encouraging to know young people like that will take up the future.

A lot of people (usually those who have no actual experience with the topic) are quick to write off kids who are trying to get an education while struggling to get by under living conditions that I seriously doubt anyone reading this could survive, let alone thrive, under. Today a student went to significant effort to contact me outside of class hours to ask for help in completing a big project that has been keeping his grade down. He stayed online, working through the project step by step, until he had finished enough to wrap it up by himself. This student deals with challenges every day that would be hard to explain, and is the kind of young person that the "you can't walk through that neighborhood!" types would be frightened of at first glance. But he is a very intelligent and dedicated student who has a clear understanding of the relationship between education and his future. It is humbling and encouraging to know young people like that will take up the future.
1616490827404.png

Greg

We all want to see more Horatio Alger stories, but the fact is they are few and far between. Our efforts, as a nation, would be better applied in providing much needed help for students like the one you describe than in leaving them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. I'm not sure many of them have a teacher who will help them they way you helped that student.

....well, you must be stupid if you think all neighborhoods are the same
...''frightened of''' ==hahhahahahahahahahahahah...please go into detail on that
....a lot of high IQ people were serial killers ...

...''frightened of''' ==hahhahahahahahahahahahah...please go into detail on that

Thank you for your post. It's important for people to see just how ignorant and heartless some people can be. Post often.

thank odummy and biden for skyrocketing tuition costs

And educators like you ...

:thanks:

All credit goes to the students.

We all want to see more Horatio Alger stories, but the fact is they are few and far between. Our efforts, as a nation, would be better applied in providing much needed help for students like the one you describe than in leaving them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. I'm not sure many of them have a teacher who will help them they way you helped that student.

Every teacher I know is willing to, and in fact does, spend at least as much time and effort. I'm nothing special. The point is that many students are more dedicated to their education than people realize.

Kudos to the kid for his efforts.

That said, there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse.

In the system as it has been arranged over the last 4 decades, well rounded, truly intelligent teachers are rare. Sorry, that's true.
Most that I have encountered in the last 10 years in Democrat controlled areas are clueless and simply regurgitate the Fascist training the system has pounded into their vulnerable minds.

Thank you for your post. It's important for people to see just how ignorant and heartless some people can be. Post often.

I would scratch heartless, and leave it at stupid, because stupid can't be fixed.

I've seen some people who are heartless, change due to a tragic life event.

Every teacher I know is willing to, and in fact does, spend at least as much time and effort. I'm nothing special. The point is that many students are more dedicated to their education than people realize.

Give yourself credit. My dad(RIP)started as a history teacher and finished his 45 year career as a superintendent.

He told me many stories of apathetic teachers who didn't really care at all, and I also knew of a few who taught in some of the same kind of neighborhoods that you describe. They pretended as if they were concerned...until they got tenure.

Part of my larger point is that many people have the wrong idea about the students at inner city schools. I have taught in many, many different environments, and nowhere else have I gotten so many "yes sir, no sir" as at the most 'urban' of districts. I often recall a time when I was passing through the hallways to my next class when a student - full on NBA size person (with the kind of look that so many big mouths here would shit themselves over) - came charging down the hallway at me. When he got close enough he slowed his pace and started saying "Sir, sir, hold up!" Turns out I left my cell phone in the last class and he noticed so he wanted to return it to me. I was grateful. He was a very polite young man who led our school to the state basketball championship that year. Nowhere else have I had so many students who attend church regularly (I mean more than once a week), and respond to personal inquiries with statements about how much they love their families. There have been negative experiences too, of course, but I know what I prefer to focus on. I often think of my own high school days and realize that I could never had done what these students are doing. I don't know how many will go on to become wealthy, but most have certainly earned my respect.

Last edited:

No doubt teachers are willing to do extra. There is only so much extra they can do. The student you mentioned should certainly be commended, but it's unreasonable to expect that from all students, given the conditions many have to deal with.

Give yourself credit. My dad(RIP)started as a history teacher and finished his 45 year career as a superintendent.

He told me many stories of apathetic teachers who didn't really care at all, and I also knew of a few who taught in some of the same kind of neighborhoods that you describe. They pretended as if they were concerned...until they got tenure.

In black run schools, which is all of them in most big cities, it's easier to just have the teachers come in and change the answers on the standardized tests so all the black kiddies can magically pass. then they all get bonuses and the Feds send more money and gives them trophies for doing such good jobs.

The same student checked in with me again today (not a simple process for him given his circumstances) to make sure he was on the right track with his project. We did some proofreading and made some corrections, and he is finishing it up the part he has been working on today.

Forum List

Back