Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

If the employer doesn't feel you're worth $500 a week, he can let you go and do all the work himself.

Or hire somebody that will take the job for less.
Yup, no greatest generation or unions anymore, just greedy idiot GOP CEOs. That's why the gov't is the only hope for workers. $15 min. wage (by stages) and high top tax rates to get CEO pay under control...

You are totally ignorant to business if you think it works like that.

If low skill workers make more money, it doesn't affect the CEO pay one bit. The employer will cut hours, layoff people, increase prices for their products or services, or make employees pay more towards their healthcare benefits.
Can you read? I said high tax rate to control CEO pay.

And control their pay for what??? What's that going to solve? You think that if you take more from a CEO, that will somehow end up in our pockets?

When government starts taxing people based on their hatred of what they do for a living, we might as well say we live under a dictatorship.

What would you think if Republicans said we should tax the shit out of trial lawyers? Then you would be moaning and groaning. Or let the Republicans place an extra tax on entertainment. Movies are too expensive anyway. Let some poor people see those movies too. I say we need a 120% tax on abortions. What do you think of that???
High taxes on ridiculous salaries is the only way to bring them down.

Yes, we need to make the rich and giant corps pay more- They're BLOATED, dupe, and we need the money to train for jobs going begging, pay for infrastucture, tax cuts for the nonrich, etc. The system today is pander to the rich bs. Thanks, New BS GOP.

BS.

BS.

BS.

The guy said people with college degrees would be his waiters.

These are exactly the people promised better jobs. All the unemployed people with degrees or experience but they can't find work in their field of study so they are forced to wait tables.

I was in New York City late last year. Some friends and I were having dinner at Benjamin Prime Steak House on East 40th. This is the kind of place where inner for four can set you back close to five bills.

Talking to our waiter, a young man in his late 20's, we learned that he had his Master's degree in mechanical engineering. When he graduated from college (during the Obama years) he struggled to find a job in his field that paid him a decent wage. He was offered a starting position with a firm in New York for $60K a year (which is nothing for New York City). He mentioned that had he taken that job, he would've been spending every penny he had on bills and commuting. So, instead, he landed a job waiting tables at Benjamin. He commented to my friend that he's making more than twice what the mechanical engineering firm would've paid him (Hell, I tipped him over $100). A few of those every day, five days a week, and he's grossing better than $100K a year. He has absolutely no desire to work in his field of study.

I guess you could argue that this kid was "forced" to wait tables, but he's doing ridiculously well at it...
I know successful guys too who should have never went to college. All they did was start their own business.

I'm glad I went to college. Makes it a lot easier to get a job.

Your waiter might be sorry one day. Have you ever been a waiter? I'd rather be an electrical engineer.

And everyone inflates their salary. Always take half off what someone tells you they make.

Or hire somebody that will take the job for less.
Yup, no greatest generation or unions anymore, just greedy idiot GOP CEOs. That's why the gov't is the only hope for workers. $15 min. wage (by stages) and high top tax rates to get CEO pay under control...

If low skill workers make more money, it doesn't affect the CEO pay one bit. The employer will cut hours, layoff people, increase prices for their products or services, or make employees pay more towards their healthcare benefits.

And control their pay for what??? What's that going to solve? You think that if you take more from a CEO, that will somehow end up in our pockets?

When government starts taxing people based on their hatred of what they do for a living, we might as well say we live under a dictatorship.

What would you think if Republicans said we should tax the shit out of trial lawyers? Then you would be moaning and groaning. Or let the Republicans place an extra tax on entertainment. Movies are too expensive anyway. Let some poor people see those movies too. I say we need a 120% tax on abortions. What do you think of that???

Yes, we need to make the rich and giant corps pay more- They're BLOATED, dupe, and we need the money to train for jobs going begging, pay for infrastucture, tax cuts for the nonrich, etc. The system today is pander to the rich bs. Thanks, New BS GOP.

BS.

BS.

BS.

And I see you avoided my question as most libs do. Liberalism is the belief of never putting the shoe on the other foot.

BS.

BS.

BS.

And I see you avoided my question as most libs do. Liberalism is the belief of never putting the shoe on the other foot.
I answered your first couple- the only ones that made any sense lol.

BS.

BS.

BS.

I answered your first couple- the only ones that made any sense lol.

You didn't answer one. So again, what if Republicans added an additional tax on liberal things like abortion, entertainment, trial lawyers? Would you be okay with that?

If y'all Republican Archie Bunker-types cared about your fellow Americans, you would understand why.
I'm not a republican

but hey why don't you open a business and pay everyone 1000 a week to show how much you care?

Again, more Republican drama queen exaggerations. The sky won't fall as a result of raising the Minimum Wage. Y'all always claim it will, but it never has before. So just relax, these struggling folks aren't gonna get 'Rich' by making a few more bucks.

Who says they're going to make any more? If they are collecting government handouts, they will work less hours and earn the same amount of money to keep them government goodies coming in.
these idiots also don't know the difference between qualifying for government handouts and actually needing government handouts

Libs tend to put the palms of their hands against their ears and sing aloud when they hear the truth.

Some of our customers use temporary help to check out the workers first and to have the flexibility during variable sales activities in their company. Many have told me when they get busy and ask the temps if the can work more hours, many refuse. Why? Because it cuts into their food stamp allowance. They must keep their income at a certain level to keep getting SNAP's cards.

Of course the company would never hire workers like that from the temp agency, so not only are these people financially holding themselves back because of government, they are also giving up an opportunity to gain full-time employment and get out of temporary services.

It's the same with these minimum wage workers. Give them a raise, and they will cut back from working 25 hours a week to 15 hours a week. What's accomplished by that?

No offense, but that's absolute greedy white Republican BULLSHITE! Most Workers take all the hours they can get. Y'all really do live in some bizarre greedy fantasy bubble. You seem to hate poor folks. It's pretty evil.

Why does the MW have to be what a person can "survive" on

If you need to make 500 a week to survive then you work however much you have to to make the 500

why do you think that one 40 hour job should have to pay you 500 a week?

If y'all Republican Archie Bunker-types cared about your fellow Americans, you would understand why.
I'm not a republican

but hey why don't you open a business and pay everyone 1000 a week to show how much you care?

Again, more Republican drama queen exaggerations. The sky won't fall as a result of raising the Minimum Wage. Y'all always claim it will, but it never has before. So just relax, these struggling folks aren't gonna get 'Rich' by making a few more bucks.

Who says they're going to make any more? If they are collecting government handouts, they will work less hours and earn the same amount of money to keep them government goodies coming in.
these idiots also don't know the difference between qualifying for government handouts and actually needing government handouts

What's so wrong with handouts? Filthy rich Corporations get em all the time. If the filthy rich can get em, i don't see why the least fortunate among us shouldn't get em.

I'm not a republican

Dupe believes bs propaganda about those great welfare benefits. EVERYONE would rather have a good job. NOT 7.25 hour. (If min wage kept up with inflation, would be $11)...

Many independent studies have been conducted. And most concluded that a $10-12 Minimum Wage is the minimum required for someone to survive on. And they would just barely survive.

The surcharge BS is just that, raise the price of the food, this surcharging people to death is a pretty deceitful way to make a dime. It's a way to get more money out of a customer.

It's just a lowdown dirty way to punish the 'slaves.' It's intended to turn the People against the Workers. But that's ok, Consumers have a lot more power these days. They can make immoral/unethical Businesses pay. Times have changed.

Because homeschool kids are spoiled little brats who have had mommy hovering around them their whole lives
Public schools have to take all children regardless of parental motivation

Kids are threatened by the idea of having to go to school, so they do try harder. After all, if you don't do well studying at home, the parents ship you off to school.

I hated going to school when I was a kid, and if we had home schooling at the time, I would have done much better simply by the thought of having to go to school.
Some kids thrive in a public school environment. They are subjected to kids of different backgrounds and teachers trained in multiple fields.
Other kids need mommy to screen the kids they meet and monitor every aspects of their lives
And still government schools with their massive budgets, professionally trained teachers, counsellors, and administrators, can't do as good a job educating kids as parents willing to forego the income from a second job. Sad, isn't it?

That's right! That Mom who dropped out of high school because she got pregnant sure did a bang up job homeschooling her daughter who was diagnosed with a learning disability! Those are the stories you don't get to hear about but public school teachers have to deal with on a daily basis.
too bad you don't know that most parents who home school have college degrees

Really? How would you know that information?

And you're willing to make up the difference in higher prices for EVERYTHING?

I do it already. I only purchase products and frequent businesses i know do the right thing. I pay more for it, but i feel better.
Then keep doing that. Why the hell should it be everyone else's problem to make you feel better?

We should be looking out for our fellow Americans. Pay em a living wage. It'll get em off the Government Entitlements, and they'll feel they're worth something.

The average Republican approach on wages borders on 'Evil.' Yet most of them consider themselves 'Good Christians.' Our Minimum Wage is truly embarrassing. The rest of the world can't believe such a wealthy nation would treat its People so poorly.
We don't, you just stupidly think so. Most people are not making minimum wage because they've been working for a while. Unlike you I lived within my means and didn't expect my neighbor to share his earnings so I could live the same.

Wages aren't going up until the economy goes up. The liberal's policies (not party) suppresses growth. More jobs=more opportunities=better pay. Your mindset demonstrates you might have been a party member but you were never a conservative.

If 'most people' aren't making Minimum Wage, what's the harm in raising it?

Many industries pay scales are tied to the minimum wage. If you increase the minimum wage, salaries above the minimum wage are forced to be raised also.

Kids are threatened by the idea of having to go to school, so they do try harder. After all, if you don't do well studying at home, the parents ship you off to school.

I hated going to school when I was a kid, and if we had home schooling at the time, I would have done much better simply by the thought of having to go to school.
Some kids thrive in a public school environment. They are subjected to kids of different backgrounds and teachers trained in multiple fields.
Other kids need mommy to screen the kids they meet and monitor every aspects of their lives
And still government schools with their massive budgets, professionally trained teachers, counsellors, and administrators, can't do as good a job educating kids as parents willing to forego the income from a second job. Sad, isn't it?

That's right! That Mom who dropped out of high school because she got pregnant sure did a bang up job homeschooling her daughter who was diagnosed with a learning disability! Those are the stories you don't get to hear about but public school teachers have to deal with on a daily basis.
too bad you don't know that most parents who home school have college degrees

Really? How would you know that information?
Actually 47%.
Homeschool Parents and College Degrees | Intellectual Takeout (ITO)

I do it already. I only purchase products and frequent businesses i know do the right thing. I pay more for it, but i feel better.
Then keep doing that. Why the hell should it be everyone else's problem to make you feel better?

We should be looking out for our fellow Americans. Pay em a living wage. It'll get em off the Government Entitlements, and they'll feel they're worth something.

The average Republican approach on wages borders on 'Evil.' Yet most of them consider themselves 'Good Christians.' Our Minimum Wage is truly embarrassing. The rest of the world can't believe such a wealthy nation would treat its People so poorly.
We don't, you just stupidly think so. Most people are not making minimum wage because they've been working for a while. Unlike you I lived within my means and didn't expect my neighbor to share his earnings so I could live the same.

Wages aren't going up until the economy goes up. The liberal's policies (not party) suppresses growth. More jobs=more opportunities=better pay. Your mindset demonstrates you might have been a party member but you were never a conservative.

If 'most people' aren't making Minimum Wage, what's the harm in raising it?

Many industries pay scales are tied to the minimum wage. If you increase the minimum wage, salaries above the minimum wage are forced to be raised also.
Good. Would be about time the poor and middle class got a break.

I know successful guys too who should have never went to college. All they did was start their own business.

Well, in the case of my waiter, that's not what happened. When my daughter turned 21 she moved to New York. She couldn't get a job because of all the college grads waiting and bussing tables, many with advanced degrees...

Your waiter might be sorry one day. Have you ever been a waiter? I'd rather be an electrical engineer.

And that would be great, but the reality is that the one job offer he got in New York barely would've paid him a living wage for New York.

My best friend graduated from the University of Rochester (New York) with an advanced degree in neurobiology. He works as a software designer now when he's not touring as a guitar player...

And everyone inflates their salary. Always take half off what someone tells you they make.

I based my comment on what I tipped him and on what I've seen as customary in high-end restaurants. It's not unusual to see four figure checks in a restaurant like this with a large party. Four figure checks carry rather sizable tips. The only people leaving a $20 tip in a place like this are people who want to ensure they get shitty service the next time through.

When our waiter said he had no desire to give up his waiter gig, I had no reason to doubt him...

Well, in the case of my waiter, that's not what happened. When my daughter turned 21 she moved to New York. She couldn't get a job because of all the college grads waiting and bussing tables, many with advanced degrees...

And that would be great, but the reality is that the one job offer he got in New York barely would've paid him a living wage for New York.

My best friend graduated from the University of Rochester (New York) with an advanced degree in neurobiology. He works as a software designer now when he's not touring as a guitar player...

I based my comment on what I tipped him and on what I've seen as customary in high-end restaurants. It's not unusual to see four figure checks in a restaurant like this with a large party. Four figure checks carry rather sizable tips. The only people leaving a $20 tip in a place like this are people who want to ensure they get shitty service the next time through.

When our waiter said he had no desire to give up his waiter gig, I had no reason to doubt him...
Groveling before our ridiculously bloated rich is not a bad idea after 35 years of Reaganism...see sig.

Groveling before our ridiculously bloated rich is not a bad idea after 35 years of Reaganism...see sig.

What an ignorant comment.

I'm hardly "ridiculously bloated rich". I took a meager salary as a young sailor in the Navy and was smart with it. My investments later in life have done well for me. I left my second career when my investments worked generously in my favor. No one gave me a fuckin' thing. I worked for every single thing I have.

The guy was hardly groveling. If anything, he was boasting. Frankly, it was refreshing to see someone who was proud of what his hard work was affording him as opposed to some idiot liberal who thinks the world owes him a comfortable living...

I'm hardly "ridiculously bloated rich". I took a meager salary as a young sailor in the Navy and was smart with it. My investments later in life have done well for me. I left my second career when my investments worked generously in my favor. No one gave me a fuckin' thing. I worked for every single thing I have.

The guy was hardly groveling. If anything, he was boasting. Frankly, it was refreshing to see someone who was proud of what his hard work was affording him as opposed to some idiot liberal who thinks the world owes him a comfortable living...
Didn't say you were- that's just the way things have been going for 35 years. And no, you got lucky. OK, WAITING on them...

Most modern countries people don't get screwed in, like here the last Reaganist while, dupe. After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVER, and in the modern world!

That's a fact.

Last edited:

We're talking politics here. He greased you up lol.
Liberals don't do that, they just want fairness, not this greedy idiot rich GOP mess.This is not good for the economy:
After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!

Forum List

Back