Retired Air Force officer sentenced to 3 years for storing classified information at his Florida home

Those at the top protect each other.... Trump said "lock her up" but didn't dare, because he doesn't want to be locked up.
That's a fair assessment out of many, otherwise because people are scratching their heads on why Trump didn't pursue the Clinton's especially knowing what he knew about them.

oh silly one.

Pence and Biden had their offices packed up when they left and the cases were sent to their home, office, think tanks, garage etc.....

that is how the classified documents got mixed in with their stuff.... Aides packed them, is what was reported....and why years went by, without them knowing it.

this was possible with Trump as well....it could have been a mistake or accident....

Only, he opened his big mouth and told us all that he intentionally took the 300 CLASSIFIED documents and he ordered the aides to pack them along with all of the presidential records he took home with him....
Otherwise Trump figuring that doing what he knew other's had done over the year's (your assessment), must be legal, and so he transparently did so.

So you are saying Trump, Biden, Pence didn't know? If you are I am calling BULLSHIT on that.
They knew what they were doing.
When people of that level pack up to leave office during a transition, they have a lot to pack up in a very short time. It is unlimely they attend to it personally for most part but have their aids do it. Regardless, it is easy to be careless, and given it was mixed in with personal stuff, I think it likely. In absence of any evidence to the contrary that would be my first assumption unless an investigation (which is totally appropriate) determined otherwise.

And I’m not saying carelessness at that level is no big deal, it is, but it doesn’t rise to the level of a crime with out more to it and a thorough investigation should determine that. At least that is my opinion.

Classified material next to your Corvette — what were you thinking?” Doocy asked Biden.
Yup. Careless!? Reckless? Absolutely! But intentional, knowingly? This isn’t a Sandy-Berger-StuffIt-Down-Your-Pants-Moment.

“Let me, I’m going to get a chance to speak on all of this. God willing, soon,” Biden responded. “But as I said earlier this week, people, and by the way, my Corvette’s in a locked garage. Okay, so it’s not like they’re sitting out in the street.”

And….?

“So… in a locked garage?” Doocy followed up.

“But anyway. Yes,” Biden replied. “As well as my Corvette. But as I said earlier this week, people know I take classified documents and classified material seriously,”
And…?

At the end of the day, Trump, Pence, and Biden stored and mishandled classified documents
When people of that level pack up to leave office during a transition, they have a lot to pack up in a very short time. It is unlimely they attend to it personally for most part but have their aids do it. Regardless, it is easy to be careless, and given it was mixed in with personal stuff, I think it likely. In absence of any evidence to the contrary that would be my first assumption unless an investigation (which is totally appropriate) determined otherwise.

And I’m not saying carelessness at that level is no big deal, it is, but it doesn’t rise to the level of a crime with out more to it and a thorough investigation should determine that. At least that is my opinion.

Yup. Careless!? Reckless? Absolutely! But intentional, knowingly? This isn’t a Sandy-Berger-StuffIt-Down-Your-Pants-Moment.

And….?

And…?
At the minimum, Biden, Trump, Pence should have their security clearances stripped (if they have one) and never be eligible to handle Classified Information again.
We see what happens to a civilian, and these three bastards are not above the law.

At the end of the day, Trump, Pence, and Biden stored and mishandled classified documents
True.

At the minimum, Biden, Trump, Pence should have their security clearances stripped (if they have one) and never be eligible to handle Classified Information again.
We see what happens to a civilian, and these three bastards are not above the law.

True, but at least for a current president, it won’t happen and really can’t given the job.

IMO, this (along other recent and not so distant security breaches) ought to serve as a big wake up call to the government and military that they need to tighten up and take a critical look at their procedures and practices.

My goodness, you all.

The MAGAs are horrified that Trump is facing charges and even more charges. They believe it is unfair. Tough.

They are concerned that Hunter is slipping through some imaginary legal net. Tough.

They are madder than a disturbed hornet nest that Biden came out of the budget negotiation owning McCarthy and the GOP. Tough.

They consider it treason that more and more Republicans are turning away from their orange crush. Tough.

After turning on his former spokeswomean, Trump is getting flash back from his once always faithful. Good.

Trump ‘Brain Fart’ Draws Right-wing Ire​

Story by Aaron Johnson • Yesterday 12:00 PM

1685800758035.png

mega
mega© Radar Online
Donald Trump faced backlash from his base over behavior that once garnered their support. The ex-president issued a plethora of insults at loyalists who supported his controversial political career, which sparked division among Republican voters, RadarOnline.com has learned.
Trump's own base appeared to draw a line in the sand after the ex-president bashed one of the most popular MAGA figures, his former press secretary Kayleigh McEnany.

There seems to be a double standard here. You know who was storing classified information you know where and really nothing has been done about it.
I do believe they found documents in various places.
Not sure how you know who can get away with it.

A retired Air Force lieutenant colonel was sentenced to three years in federal prison Thursday for storing files with classified information at his Florida home, the Department of Justice announced.

Robert Birchum pleaded guilty earlier this year to unlawfully possessing and retaining classified documents relating to national defense, the department said in a news release.
Birchum served nearly three decades in the Air Force and held several roles that required him to handle classified information, prosecutors said. In his plea agreement, Birchum admitted to having stored hundreds of files that contained information with top secret, secret or confidential classification markings in unauthorized locations.
In 2017, investigators found that Birchum “knowingly removed more than 300 classified files or documents” and kept them in “his home, his overseas officer’s headquarters, and a storage pod in his driveway,” according to the release. More than 30 of those files and documents were marked “Top Secret” – the highest level of classification.

Biden should be in prison for 30 years

Ohhh just go on and admit it, otherwise that Trump is actually the focus here (don't lie), and that this is in hopes that he is eliminated from running for President because he can't get a security clearance right ?

Hell you know Biden isn't going to make for another run, because he's dementiated already.

And you don't want Pence either, so I'm on to your game.

Ohhh just go on and admit it, otherwise that Trump is actually the focus here (don't lie), and that this is in hopes that he is eliminated from running for President because he can't get a security clearance right ?

Hell you know Biden isn't going to make for another run, because he's dementiated already.

And you don't want Pence either, so I'm on to your game.
If Trump runs and wins, he will get a security clearance regardless. It based on the office not the person. Unfortunately.

Your theory doesn’t work.

There seems to be a double standard here. You know who was storing classified information you know where and really nothing has been done about it.

From the DOJ link in your OP:

In 2017, however, law enforcement officers discovered that Birchum knowingly removed more than 300 classified files or documents, including more than 30 items marked Top Secret, from authorized locations.

*Knowingly* is an important word here. Saying nothing of the fact that there are 300 classified files/docs in his possession.

Birchum kept these classified materials in his home, his overseas officer’s quarters, and a storage pod in his driveway. None of these locations were authorized for storage of classified national defense information. In particular, the criminal information charges that Birchum possessed two documents on a thumb drive found in his home that contained information relating to the National Security Agency’s capabilities and methods of collection and targets’ vulnerabilities. Both of these documents were classified as Top Secret/SCI, and their unauthorized release could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security of the United States.

He knew what he was doing and knew it was highly illegal.

From the DOJ link in your OP:

*Knowingly* is an important word here. Saying nothing of the fact that there are 300 classified files/docs in his possession.

He knew what he was doing and knew it was highly illegal.
Trump, Pence, Biden, KNOWINGLY TOOK DOCUMENTS. Are you implying the documents "magically appeared" inside Trumps house or Biden's garage or Pence's house?

Trump, Pence, Biden, KNOWINGLY TOOK DOCUMENTS.

Pence and Biden became aware that they possessed classified materials and surmised they must have unintentionally misfiled/misplaced them at some point in the past. They then immediately reported it to and cooperated with appropriate authorities once they realized the situation.

Based on all that has been reported so far, Trump's behavior is far more malevolent and likely criminal, though we won't know the whole picture until/unless there's a criminal charge and case.

Are you implying the documents "magically appeared" inside Trumps house or Biden's garage or Pence's house?

No, and as I've said, it shouldn't have happened and doesn't speak well of their administrative competence - agreed on all counts. But there's a difference between an administrative fuck-up and willfully mishandling sensitive materials, possibly for personal gain.

If Trump runs and wins, he will get a security clearance regardless. It based on the office not the person. Unfortunately.

Your theory doesn’t work.
How can a person be qualified for President if they can't hold a security clearance if it was taken from them or they can't get one ? And how is it given back to him regardless of, otherwise if he possibly makes nominee for President again, and then head's towards the job again where he'll retain that clearance if elected ?

Your argument is Biden is simply incompetent so we have to give him a pass.

Actually. No.

Let’s say you accidentally take the work truck keys home. You realize it and call the boss and admit the mistake. You are told to bring them back in the morning. You made a mistake and admitted it.

Or you could just return with them and hope nobody noticed.

Third option. Lie about it. Swear you hung the keys on the hook. Someone else must have took them.

Which one is worse? Option a is what Pence, Biden, and others did. They found the documents and reported it immediately. Insuring the documents were collected by someone with the authority. What did Trump do again?

Presidents have a protocol and procedure to follow when they choose to declassify...

to imply that they do not, is pure ignorance.

trump was trained on the procedure to follow.
Who is above the president and therefore able to set protocol and procedure for him or her to follow?

Actually. No.

Let’s say you accidentally take the work truck keys home. You realize it and call the boss and admit the mistake. You are told to bring them back in the morning. You made a mistake and admitted it.

Or you could just return with them and hope nobody noticed.

Third option. Lie about it. Swear you hung the keys on the hook. Someone else must have took them.

Which one is worse? Option a is what Pence, Biden, and others did. They found the documents and reported it immediately. Insuring the documents were collected by someone with the authority. What did Trump do again?
Wrong, maybe Pence did what you say, but Biden definitely didn't do what you say, and as far as Trump goes, well the jury is still having a long drawn out deliberation on it.

Forum List

Back