RIP David Crosby, famously of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, dead at 81

He was a drama queen and a prick

Also an amazing writer and incredible singer and harmonizer

A few years ago Graham Nash threw his hands up at Crosby's actions and said he had enough of his life long friend

Crosby once blocked me on twitter because i referred to myself as a "hedonist". he brought up Trump and the grabbing by the you know what, so i answered that i'm a hedonist too, so he blocked me lol

Suite Judy Blue Eyes is still my favorite by them.....

As a member of The Byrds, 1 of the historically essential Artists that created the Artform of Rock. The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Beach Boys & Yardbirds, showed future generations like us what was possible. We owe him, and them, everything

- Stevie Van Zandt, Bruce's E Street Band

Back in the day, it was said that drug users were people who were trying to escape reality. With 3 assassinations and a war that had no purpose or foreseeable end, why not?

Dolly Parton made it to 77, she's gonna have Crosby beat, though it's not a competition lol

Every time the Byrds are mentioned, I can't help remembering that the Byrds' rendition of the Bob Dylan song "Mr Tambourine Man" (about LSD), was a destruction of one of the greatest songs and pieces of poetry ever written. A fabulous song by Dylan, that relatively few people even today have ever heard, and even fewer understand the words.

Byrds "version" (if you can even call it that) was a highly commercialized, reduction of the original 4 verse song, with the tinny folk-rock sound of the time period (Byrds version contained only 2 of the original 4 verses)
A veritable bastardization.

"wow, man, you can dance to that" - Bob Dylan, upon 1st listening Mr Tambourine Man

the release of the song changed Crosby's life forever. it debuted at no.1 on the US and UK charts. Crosby reveled in the fame, but the rest of the Byrds had a reputation for being "moody"

Columbia’s microphones captured a typical exchange between Crosby and Melcher, the musician grumbling incessantly, Melcher finally snapping: Why don’t you go fuck yourself? The producer relented a couple of minutes later, insisting I was only kidding, man, but the tension was unmistakable. It seeped into the band itself, with photo shoots or recording dates often interrupted by ferocious arguments or bear-like scuffles. By late 1965, Crosby was bringing his songs to Byrds sessions, but failing to persuade his colleagues that there was commercial potential in material such as The Flower Bomb Song or a musical encapsulation of Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land, water brothers and all.

Forum List

Back