RIP Michael Collins

I took this a few days ago. I can’t imagine sitting at the top and lighting 5 of mankind’s most powerful machines and tons of fuel underneath you.
View attachment 484943
Where is that? I saw one laying down at the Redstone Arsenal at Huntsville, AL many years ago.
Huntsville.
1619643523120.jpeg

I took this a few days ago. I can’t imagine sitting at the top and lighting 5 of mankind’s most powerful machines and tons of fuel underneath you.
View attachment 484943
Where is that? I saw one laying down at the Redstone Arsenal at Huntsville, AL many years ago.
Huntsville. View attachment 484948
Yep. That is what I remember, but back before there was a roof over it. Still a good tour down there. Pretty cool back in the day.

View attachment 484943
Huntsville. View attachment 484948
Yep. That is what I remember, but back before there was a roof over it. Still a good tour down there. Pretty cool back in the day.
My father in law worked with a lot of the astronauts with the Saturn V. Unfortunately he passed before his top secret agreement expired and could talk details.

View attachment 484943

Five F-1 engines with a combined thrust of 7.5 million pounds! To this day it is still the most powerful super-heavy lift rocket ever, and we've had this technology since 1967!

View attachment 484943

Five F-1 engines with a combined thrust of 7.5 million pounds! To this day it is still the most powerful super-heavy lift rocket ever, and we've had this technology since 1967!
Apparently an even more powerful rocket is being completed. I regret not seeing a Saturn V launch. If I’m alive, I’m not missing that one.

He had a fantastic personality, loved every interview he gave. Michael orbited the moon while Neil and Buzz became the first humans to walk on the moon.
View attachment 484936

They went to the Moon in a tin can supplied with far less computing ability than your cellphone.
112kb memory to get to the moon and back. And the hull was so thin you could punch a hole in it with your fist.

The rocket itself was about as thick as a dime, but pressuring it kept it from folding in on itself.

That's a pretty modest kitchen considering his life achievements.

Unless I am mistaken, he was paid the standard military pay for his rank and time in service. In other words, not much.

He retired in 1982 as a Major General. His pre-tax pay back then would've been $45,774 a year. He likely also received some sort of proficiency pay for being an astronaut, not unlike what Navy divers are paid for being divers. It's, maybe, a few hundred bucks a month...

He had a fantastic personality, loved every interview he gave. Michael orbited the moon while Neil and Buzz became the first humans to walk on the moon.
View attachment 484936

They went to the Moon in a tin can supplied with far less computing ability than your cellphone.
112kb memory to get to the moon and back. And the hull was so thin you could punch a hole in it with your fist.

The rocket itself was about as thick as a dime, but pressuring it kept it from folding in on itself.
They had what was to be Apollo 18 displayed horizontally, and it began to collapse upon itself....Had to turn i upright.

View attachment 484936

That's amazing to me, but it's absolutely true.

I have a friend whose father worked at Grumman back in the day (his name is on a plaque on the moon). He was the first to tell me about the comparison between NASA computers and modern cell phones...

Born and raised lived most of my life a short drive from the Cape. I seen them all from the early 1960s until present day. What always impressed me was how cool Collins was under extreme pressure and close to disaster. It was just another day at work for him and others like him.

Last edited:
View attachment 484936

They had what was to be Apollo 18 displayed horizontally, and it began to collapse upon itself....Had to turn i upright.

Holy shit.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

With Apollo 10 CM pilot John Young...

572b3e3b9065e_378161b.jpg

michael-collins-the-forgotten-apollo-11-astronaut.jpg

vf_michael_collins_cover_3587.jpeg_north_1160x474_.jpg

His world famous photo of the moon landing crew return...

Michael-Collins-the-astronaut-who-took-this-photo-is-the-only-human-alive-or-dead-that-isnt-in-the-frame-of-this-picture-1969.-Rare-Historical-Photos.jpg

That pic with Young is from their Gemini 10 flight. That's a Titan rocket.
When he had to do a spacewalk and grab the Agena spacecraft that was spinning out of control. He was pretty funny about having to do such a dangerous task nobody planned for.

The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs took place over my elementary through high school career.

Classes would be stopped to watch the liftoffs.

What heroes have we now?

Forum List

Back