Rob Portman Reverses Gay Marriage Stance After Son Comes Out

WOW you aren't born gay that's for sure.

Actually, you probably are...

My friend (the one who got fired when she showed up with her girlfriend at the company party) said she knew she was gay when she was 11. She still tried to pretend to be straight, married a loser, had two kids, and eventually went on to be gay anyway.

I'd rather have people embracing who they are than making someone else miserable trying to be something they aren't.

Not everyone on the right feels the same way about gays.

Some of us are understanding enough to not try to drag them behind our pickups. There are still those that are born in the South that make fun of them, want to pick a fight with them, yet fuck them in the ass when they get horny. Then there are those of us that see them as people that are different, but still just people. Some pent up assholes are afraid to even talk about the subject because they're worried that someone might think they are gay. They would just die if that ever happened Heaven forbid.

You noticed this happen up north?

No need to back away now you've shown that you don't know what illiterate means while trying to nitpick over one o or oo :eusa_whistle:

Oh, I see. You're pretending I don't know what "illiterate" means in an attempt to deflect from your own weak English skills.

Okay, run with that. That's what I get for apologizing.

You can't say it was a typo when you used a word incorrectly. You either misused the word or you don't understand what it means. Either way kind of hypocritical nitpicking over a little word when you yourself made a grammatical error.

Okay, if you're going to keep this going...

Please describe precisely how my calling you "illiterate" is a grammatical error.

Looking forward to it.

Actually, you probably are...

My friend (the one who got fired when she showed up with her girlfriend at the company party) said she knew she was gay when she was 11. She still tried to pretend to be straight, married a loser, had two kids, and eventually went on to be gay anyway.

I'd rather have people embracing who they are than making someone else miserable trying to be something they aren't.

Some of us are understanding enough to not try to drag them behind our pickups. There are still those that are born in the South that make fun of them, want to pick a fight with them, yet fuck them in the ass when they get horny. Then there are those of us that see them as people that are different, but still just people. Some pent up assholes are afraid to even talk about the subject because they're worried that someone might think they are gay. They would just die if that ever happened Heaven forbid.

I live in Northern TN. Is that North?

Oh, I see. You're pretending I don't know what "illiterate" means in an attempt to deflect from your own weak English skills.

Okay, run with that. That's what I get for apologizing.

You can't say it was a typo when you used a word incorrectly. You either misused the word or you don't understand what it means. Either way kind of hypocritical nitpicking over a little word when you yourself made a grammatical error.

Please describe precisely how my calling you "illiterate" is a grammatical error.

Looking forward to it.

I've been here since 2010, I've start numerous thread been if 100's of discussion if you don't know by now that I can read I don't know what too tell you.
Now if you're going to nitpick over a word how about being grammatically correct with everything else.

I live in Northern TN. Is that North?

Is that north of Shitcago?

Looking forward to it.

I've been here since 2010, I've start numerous thread been if 100's of discussion if you don't know by now that I can read I don't know what too tell you.
Now if you're going to nitpick over a word how about being grammatically correct with everything else.

No problem, I wasn't expecting a straight answer.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

Yes, but it is a reality. It is in knowing someone gay that minds are changed...which is the main reason the homophobes want us to stay in the closet. They know that the more gays that come out, the more attitudes will change.

To the closeted gays...come out, come out wherever you are.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

Yes, but it is a reality. It is in knowing someone gay that minds are changed...which is the main reason the homophobes want us to stay in the closet. They know that the more gays that come out, the more attitudes will change.

To the closeted gays...come out, come out wherever you are.

Rush? Rush?

Looking forward to it.

No problem, I wasn't expecting a straight answer.

You got one.

Why do Republicans feel the need to support same sex marriage when a friend or family member comes out? Their constituents elected them to act on their behalf, not make decisions based on personal beliefs.

A Republican elected because he (or she) opposes affirmative action should not go against his (or her) supporters because a son or daughter marries an African-American.

Taking a stand against same sex marriage is based on religious beliefs that say homosexuality is wrong, and it is also based on the idea that gays make a choice to be gay. Once any person understands that it is not a choice, but that gays are born gay, it changes everything, because if you are born gay, you can't choose to be straight. It just doesn't work that way.

The vast majority of people who are against gay marriage have the belief that gays make a choice to be gay, and that is the entire problem with their thinking.

Excuse me, but is Obama the only one allowed to "evolve" on this matter? He didn't exactly show support until Biden opened his mouth and put Obama on the spot.

For many people, it takes a personal experience to change their hearts and the important thing is that the change takes place. Knock this guy all you want for becoming enlightened, but you sound like the fool. I believe Portman is more sincere because he's probably been doing a lot of soul searching. In Obama's case, it was strictly politics and doing what he figured was in his own best interest. Portman may face criticism, but spoke out anyway. That took courage.

Check out the comment directly following yours in this thread for a better understanding of my post. The anti-gay thing is not strictly a liberal/conservative issue, but conservatives do seem to be more driven by their religious zealotry against gays.

Obama has promised Muslim Brotherhood an Islamic State here in America during his 2nd term. There was a story about a spy who had listened to Obama on the phone with one of them promising them this after he won a 2nd term. If you think that evangelicals have religious zealotry against gays you are in for a shock once Islam steps into the game and they are about to so prepare yourselves......... I saw a video of this religious zealotry in action. They dug a hole that looked to be about 10 ft deep - long - wide - "" dropped 5 homosexual men down into the hole and doused them with gasoline. Then they tossed in the match and all five men were burnt alive. That is the penalty for homosexuals according to Islam and one day you will see it right here in the USA thanks to Mr. Obama.

Then the world will see Liberals doing the back stroke as they suddenly become "religious zealots" who wouldn't dare dream of same sex - relations much less same sex marriage. Just wait... it's coming!

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has reversed his stance on same-sex marriage two years after learning that his son is gay, several Ohio news outlets, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reported Friday.

In an interview with Ohio reporters in his Senate office, Portman said that his son, Will, came out to the senator and his wife in February 2011.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

Portman said that his son, who is now a junior at Yale University, inspired him to reassess his position on same-sex unions. The senator also consulted clergy on the matter, as well as friends such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay. According to Portman, Cheney told the senator to "follow [his] heart" on the matter.

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

I am happy that he has changed his mind. Perhaps if others had a first hand experience, they'd change their minds, too.

That is what is happening, bit by bit.

Excuse me, but is Obama the only one allowed to "evolve" on this matter? He didn't exactly show support until Biden opened his mouth and put Obama on the spot.

For many people, it takes a personal experience to change their hearts and the important thing is that the change takes place. Knock this guy all you want for becoming enlightened, but you sound like the fool. I believe Portman is more sincere because he's probably been doing a lot of soul searching. In Obama's case, it was strictly politics and doing what he figured was in his own best interest. Portman may face criticism, but spoke out anyway. That took courage.

Check out the comment directly following yours in this thread for a better understanding of my post. The anti-gay thing is not strictly a liberal/conservative issue, but conservatives do seem to be more driven by their religious zealotry against gays.

Obama has promised Muslim Brotherhood an Islamic State here in America during his 2nd term. There was a story about a spy who had listened to Obama on the phone with one of them promising them this after he won a 2nd term. If you think that evangelicals have religious zealotry against gays you are in for a shock once Islam steps into the game and they are about to so prepare yourselves......... I saw a video of this religious zealotry in action. They dug a hole that looked to be about 10 ft deep - long - wide - "" dropped 5 homosexual men down into the hole and doused them with gasoline. Then they tossed in the match and all five men were burnt alive. That is the penalty for homosexuals according to Islam and one day you will see it right here in the USA thanks to Mr. Obama.

Then the world will see Liberals doing the back stroke as they suddenly become "religious zealots" who wouldn't dare dream of same sex - relations much less same sex marriage. Just wait... it's coming!

Are you insane or 14?

Why do Republicans feel the need to support same sex marriage when a friend or family member comes out? Their constituents elected them to act on their behalf, not make decisions based on personal beliefs.

A Republican elected because he (or she) opposes affirmative action should not go against his (or her) supporters because a son or daughter marries an African-American.

Taking a stand against same sex marriage is based on religious beliefs that say homosexuality is wrong, and it is also based on the idea that gays make a choice to be gay. Once any person understands that it is not a choice, but that gays are born gay, it changes everything, because if you are born gay, you can't choose to be straight. It just doesn't work that way.

The vast majority of people who are against gay marriage have the belief that gays make a choice to be gay, and that is the entire problem with their thinking.

They are not born homosexual, they may be oppressed with a perverse spirit ( demon ) that deceives them into believing they are but they are not. Homosexuality is a choice. I know a young man who lived the lifestyle years ago. He told me he chose the lifestyle - it wasn't something he was born with and he didn't believe anyone else was "born with it" either.. It is a convenient excuse but a lie... - Jeremiah

No I have never made that claim.
If the bitch was my child and did something out of what I taught him that was wrong he would be out on his own

Wow, so even when talking about a subject that isn't gun-related, you still do the crazy talk.

Guy, it isn't a matter of what you taught them. Who "taught" you to be straight?

Sexual orientation is imprinted on us like hair color, and a lot harder to change.
WOW you aren't born gay that's for sure.

So if Rob Portman's son was not born gay, are you suggesting that Rob Portman taught his son to be gay? Or you're going with the falsehood that his son is just a sexual deviant who made a conscious decision to like other guys rather than women?

Forum List

Back