Zone1 Romani (often referred to as Gypsies) under USA law

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Gentleman's Club
I skipped the google search and asked ChatGPT, but did some thorough google search already a year ago but didnt found many sources, except that there was since time immemorial immigration to the USA of Romani in waves, from the first colonies were romani were shipped, to the 18th/19th/20th centuries where romani came from the former austro-hungary areas, or romania after servitude/slavery was abolished in romania of romani, and even now romani still keep going to the United States. However considering the large size of the USA the romani are a small insiginificant group rather.

In the United States were there ever anti-race mixing laws forbidding romani gypsies from marrying whites? Like there were forbidding whites marrying blacks?
ChatGPT
In the United States, anti-miscegenation laws primarily targeted relationships and marriages between white people and those of African descent. These laws were designed to maintain racial segregation and the so-called "purity" of the white race. While the primary focus was on preventing marriages between whites and blacks, some states extended these prohibitions to other groups as well, including Asians and Native Americans.

There is no substantial historical evidence that specific anti-miscegenation laws were widely enacted or enforced to prevent Romani people (often referred to as Gypsies) from marrying whites in the United States. The legal and social status of the Romani in the U.S. did not draw the same intense legislative scrutiny as African Americans or, in some regions, Asian Americans.

However, it is important to note that anti-miscegenation laws were often broadly written. Some statutes referred to "Mongolians," "Malays," or other non-white groups in general terms, which could potentially include Romani individuals. Nevertheless, Romani people were a much smaller and less visible minority in the U.S. compared to African Americans and Asians, which might explain the lack of specific mention in anti-miscegenation laws and the lesser historical focus on their marriages.

By 1967, the U.S. Supreme Court case Loving v. Virginia struck down all remaining anti-miscegenation laws, making it unconstitutional to prohibit interracial marriage. This landmark decision ensured that no racial or ethnic group could legally be barred from marrying another.

When only whites in the United States were eligible for citizenship were ever any recorded romani gypsies eligible for citizenship or legally white?
ChatGPT
When the United States' naturalization laws restricted citizenship to "free white persons" (from the Naturalization Act of 1790 until the change with the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952), the definition of "white" was often contested and evolved over time through various court cases and social understandings.

Romani people, often referred to as Gypsies, are of South Asian origin but have lived in Europe for centuries. Their classification within the racial categories used in the U.S. naturalization process varied. Generally, Romani individuals from Europe who sought naturalization might have been considered legally white, particularly if they were perceived as assimilated into European cultures. However, this classification was not uniform, and Romani people often faced significant discrimination and social exclusion, which could affect their treatment under the law.

In some cases, Romani individuals did gain U.S. citizenship during this period, especially if they were able to navigate the system and present themselves in ways that aligned with the legal and social definitions of whiteness at the time. There were no specific laws categorically excluding Romani people from being considered white under the naturalization laws, but their experiences would have been highly individual and dependent on local interpretations and the attitudes of officials.

In summary, while there might not be extensive recorded instances of Romani individuals seeking or obtaining citizenship under these laws, it was possible for them to be considered legally white and thus eligible for citizenship, depending on the context and perceptions of the time.

I skipped the google search and asked ChatGPT, but did some thorough google search already a year ago but didnt found many sources, except that there was since time immemorial immigration to the USA of Romani in waves, from the first colonies were romani were shipped, to the 18th/19th/20th centuries where romani came from the former austro-hungary areas, or romania after servitude/slavery was abolished in romania of romani, and even now romani still keep going to the United States. However considering the large size of the USA the romani are a small insiginificant group rather.

In the United States were there ever anti-race mixing laws forbidding romani gypsies from marrying whites? Like there were forbidding whites marrying blacks?
ChatGPT
In the United States, anti-miscegenation laws primarily targeted relationships and marriages between white people and those of African descent. These laws were designed to maintain racial segregation and the so-called "purity" of the white race. While the primary focus was on preventing marriages between whites and blacks, some states extended these prohibitions to other groups as well, including Asians and Native Americans.

There is no substantial historical evidence that specific anti-miscegenation laws were widely enacted or enforced to prevent Romani people (often referred to as Gypsies) from marrying whites in the United States. The legal and social status of the Romani in the U.S. did not draw the same intense legislative scrutiny as African Americans or, in some regions, Asian Americans.

However, it is important to note that anti-miscegenation laws were often broadly written. Some statutes referred to "Mongolians," "Malays," or other non-white groups in general terms, which could potentially include Romani individuals. Nevertheless, Romani people were a much smaller and less visible minority in the U.S. compared to African Americans and Asians, which might explain the lack of specific mention in anti-miscegenation laws and the lesser historical focus on their marriages.

By 1967, the U.S. Supreme Court case Loving v. Virginia struck down all remaining anti-miscegenation laws, making it unconstitutional to prohibit interracial marriage. This landmark decision ensured that no racial or ethnic group could legally be barred from marrying another.

When only whites in the United States were eligible for citizenship were ever any recorded romani gypsies eligible for citizenship or legally white?
ChatGPT
When the United States' naturalization laws restricted citizenship to "free white persons" (from the Naturalization Act of 1790 until the change with the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952), the definition of "white" was often contested and evolved over time through various court cases and social understandings.

Romani people, often referred to as Gypsies, are of South Asian origin but have lived in Europe for centuries. Their classification within the racial categories used in the U.S. naturalization process varied. Generally, Romani individuals from Europe who sought naturalization might have been considered legally white, particularly if they were perceived as assimilated into European cultures. However, this classification was not uniform, and Romani people often faced significant discrimination and social exclusion, which could affect their treatment under the law.

In some cases, Romani individuals did gain U.S. citizenship during this period, especially if they were able to navigate the system and present themselves in ways that aligned with the legal and social definitions of whiteness at the time. There were no specific laws categorically excluding Romani people from being considered white under the naturalization laws, but their experiences would have been highly individual and dependent on local interpretations and the attitudes of officials.

In summary, while there might not be extensive recorded instances of Romani individuals seeking or obtaining citizenship under these laws, it was possible for them to be considered legally white and thus eligible for citizenship, depending on the context and perceptions of the time.
Roma were always considered white as far as I know,

A few more of your posts and support for that will obviously become unanimous.

The only gypsies in America I ever heard of were based in South Carolina and would fan out across the US in the springtime to run scams on homeowners for roof repairs and other home improvements

The DOJ issued alerts for the public to be aware of and avoid doing business with them

Btw: can you guess where the word “gyp” comes from in American English?

And why?

The only gypsies in America I ever heard of were based in South Carolina and would fan out across the US in the springtime to run scams on homeowners for roof repairs and other home improvements

The DOJ issued alerts for the public to be aware of and avoid doing business with them

Btw: can you guess where the word “gype” comes from in American English?
Sure. But i dont think that is the whole picture.

There are Gypsies in America, but there are only maybe a million (a estimate though i dont know if that is true or its less even) and even if there is a million that is a drop in the ocean considering how large the US and how much people there live.

They seem to be as well in other states then south carolina

Btw: isnt Nikki Haley of Indian descent and from South Carolina?

Hum

Hum
Romani are not exclusively of indian origin though, they are a over thousand years old diaspora. Nikki Haley is the daughter of recent indian immigrants, that is not the same.

Hum
Romani are not exclusively of indian origin though, they are a over thousand years old diaspora. Nikki Haley is the daughter of recent indian immigrants, that is not the same.

Hum
I think a Romani or someone who knows the Romani and is not anti-romani wrote that wikipedia page, it does say they are "indians" and quotes certain genetic findings, but i wouldnt have written it like that eventhough some romani themselfes or most romani say that too. Because romani are not only indian.

I think a Romani or someone who knows the Romani and is not anti-romani wrote that wikipedia page, it does say they are "indians" and quotes certain genetic findings, but i wouldnt have written it like that eventhough some romani themselfes or most romani say that too. Because romani are not only indian.

Doesn't matter, Mort; no nice blonde German woman is going to screw you. Get over it.

I think you yourself have traced Romani back to India

Attention

Romani usually reffer to themselfes and others referr to them as indian diaspora or indians simply.
I know romani say that, indian government says that, and non-romani and non-indians like europeans say that, but i wouldnt have written it like that or teach it like that because they are not only indian... just quoting the findings of the origin of the y-dna is not enough for the whole picture, they quote the findings based on y-dna is not the complete picture

Romani Americans Romani Americans - Wikipedia

Origin
The Romani people originate from Northern India,[18][19][20][21][22][23] presumably from the northwestern Indian states Rajasthan[22][23] and Punjab.[22]

The linguistic evidence has indisputably shown that roots of Romani language lie in India: the language has grammatical characteristics of Indian languages and shares with them a big part of the basic lexicon, for example, body parts or daily routines.[24]

More exactly, Romani shares the basic lexicon with Hindi and Punjabi. It shares many phonetic features with Marwari, while its grammar is closest to Bengali.[25]

Genetic findings in 2012 suggest the Romani originated in northwestern India and migrated as a group.[19][20][26] According to a genetic study in 2012, the ancestors of present scheduled tribes and scheduled caste populations of northern India, traditionally referred to collectively as the Ḍoma, are the likely ancestral populations of modern European Roma.[27]

In February 2016, during the International Roma Conference, the Indian Minister of External Affairs stated that the people of the Roma community were children of India. The conference ended with a recommendation to the Government of India to recognize the Roma community spread across 30 countries as a part of the Indian diaspora.[28]

Many results of roma gypsies, from all over the world, sinti, gitanos, gypsies from bosnia etc.

I think you yourself have traced Romani back to India
They are traced back to india but that was over 1.500 years ago i would have written that a bit different then just saying they are "indians" "or indian diaspora" that sounds as if they are like nikki haley or sunak rishak.

They are traced back to india but that was over 1.500 years ago i would have written that a bit different then just saying they are "indians" "or indian diaspora" that sounds as if they are like nikki haley or sunak rishak.
As you can tell I know almost nothing about Romani other than by reputation, which is not good

Best of luck to you in your quest, whatever you are trying to accomplish

It does seem as though they often have the same relationship to truth as have Nikki and Rishi.

Forum List

Back