Rush Limbaugh is cooked: The stunning fall of the right’s angriest bloviator

How many times have you morons announced the end of Rush's career? Keep wishin' and hopin', losers.
Then explain what's happening to him. You did read it didn't you? You can read, can't you?

HE'S BEING DROPPED FROM CONSERVATIVE TALK STATIONS!

Explain that.
Indianapolis is a stupid comparison, considering during the day Chicago's WLS megastaion can be heard all the way to Louisville and they carry Rush.

Oh no I doubt that...

WLS_AM_LU.gif
Those are not hard and fast rules. I've picked up WABC in NY on the east coast of Florida, and I've picked up the mega-station in St. Louis on the Florida panhandle.

The conditions have to be right.

That (above) is the daytime contour. After sunset the range of a clear-channel station is all over the map, a thousand miles or more. But Limblob is on in the afternoon, and I don't believe WLS is audible as far out as Louisville in the daytime. Even Indianapolis would be a reach (and noisy) -- that's 150 miles. Maybe if you had an antena stretched out over several acres -- for the purpose of hearing Limblob... :rofl:

But night time, all bets are off. When he was a kid in Philadelphia my dad picked up KFI-AM. Which is in Los Angeles.

After 27 years on the radio, the Rush Limbaugh show is still the highest rated radio show in the USA.
But he's failing......:rofl:

Want to see radio failure on a massive scale??
Air America radio network - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
As I've already pointed out, Liberals are too busy working at jobs to sit around being told what to think. Laziness and gullibility are conservative traits.
Lib talk shows fail because they are just shit. Emotional garbage, hate filled rhetoric and no audience wants to hear it. Not even other libs.
You just described Right-Wing radio. And you're a good little dittohead by parroting Rush's mantra: Accuse the other side of doing whatever it is you are doing.
I would be describing left wing radio if any could stay around long enough. Your spin doesn't cut it and guys like Rush make a living pointing it out. Sorry.
Yup - Liberal talk radio is never going to be wildly popular.

1. Liberals are too busy working for a living to spend the day getting angry listening to the radio.
  2. Facts are boring.
For somebody who doesn't have time to listen to him you sure seem to listen to him a lot. Maybe you goof off a lot or maybe you're lying about having a job.

After 27 years on the radio, the Rush Limbaugh show is still the highest rated radio show in the USA.

As I've already pointed out, Liberals are too busy working at jobs to sit around being told what to think. Laziness and gullibility are conservative traits.

As far as "traits" I suspect it has something to do with the bases of political philosophy.... (lights pipe, camera pans in....)

What Limblob does and has always done is a practice in Division. Everything is "us" and "them" and "we're good and they're evil". It's his entire schtick.

Liberals OTOH, being the inventors of Equality, are more inclusive-minded. We really don't care to hear about Duh Eebil Monsters and don't find it constructive. So when AirAmerica went on and basically tried to mimic Limblob from the other side, that sensibility just wasn't going to sell (I always thought Ed Schultz was a blatant attempt to copy Limblob, right down to the body size).

Some of what Limblob does is political content, but most of it is psychology -- appealing to paranoia. That appeal just doesn't hold for Liberals. We're not wired that way and are disinclined to that sort of herd mentality.

Much of AirAmerica's failure was incompetent business management, but that misdirected psychology didn't help. Their talent is still on the air under different distribution, but they've softened that approach somewhat, going more erudite and informative and less combative.

I listen to baseball games on a clear-channel station at night -- after the game sometimes I leave it on to catch the post-game call-in show to see what the sports buzz is. But if I leave the radio on after that show ends I get an earful of Sean Hackitty whining about -- whatever he's whining about this week. It's a complete buzzkill after a nice baseball game, couldn't be a worse transition. But then some people like horror movies too. I don't grok either one.

On the other hand the Right seems unable to mimic the more cerebral and more effective humor approach of a Jon Stewart, a Bill Maher or a George Carlin. Trade-off I guess.

This guy started in the late 80's and dominated AM radio ever since. He forever changed AM radio and he led the way for many other talk shows, even sports show.

No one can deny the power he had. I quit listening to him long, but he carried AM for the last 25 years. I expected him to die out in 2000 but the guy went on another 15 years. I listen to the liberal sports host Colin Cowherd and he said you can't deny the benefit that he and others have been given because of Limbaugh.

If he leaves radio now, he lasted longer and change AM radio, single handedly. No one has ever come close to what he accomplished in radio.
Like him or not.

Saying Limbaugh changed Radio or Politics is like saying Hitler Changed Europe. Yeah, maybe, but it's not a good thing.

Here's the problem with Rush you wingnuts don't get. He actually UNDERMINES your cause.

Take the Fluke issue. There really was a legitimate policy argument there. Should employers have to fund medical treatments they have religious objections to.

Limbaugh turned it into a tawdry thing by calling this girl all sorts of vile names.

It isn't me that says that, it is radio personnel, you disagree take it up with those that know their industry. I'm sure you might learn something, but then again, you will probably stay ignorant.

Of course, describing the Grand Dumbing-Down of Discourse as an "accomplishment" is much like describing a demolition derby as "constructive"....

"Accomplishments" are not measured by sales figures. Coca-cola sells a ton of product; doesn't mean it's any good. The psychology of what draws flies to electronic media (and print media, its predecessor) was figured out a long time ago. It's got nothing to do with aesthetics.

Nice opinion.

As far as "traits" I suspect it has something to do with the bases of political philosophy.... (lights pipe, camera pans in....)

What Limblob does and has always done is a practice in Division. Everything is "us" and "them" and "we're good and they're evil". It's his entire schtick.

Liberals OTOH, being the inventors of Equality, are more inclusive-minded. We really don't care to hear about Duh Eebil Monsters and don't find it constructive. So when AirAmerica went on and basically tried to mimic Limblob from the other side, that sensibility just wasn't going to sell (I always thought Ed Schultz was a blatant attempt to copy Limblob, right down to the body size).

Some of what Limblob does is political content, but most of it is psychology -- appealing to paranoia. That appeal just doesn't hold for Liberals. We're not wired that way and are disinclined to that sort of herd mentality.

Much of AirAmerica's failure was incompetent business management, but that misdirected psychology didn't help. Their talent is still on the air under different distribution, but they've softened that approach somewhat, going more erudite and informative and less combative.

I listen to baseball games on a clear-channel station at night -- after the game sometimes I leave it on to catch the post-game call-in show to see what the sports buzz is. But if I leave the radio on after that show ends I get an earful of Sean Hackitty whining about -- whatever he's whining about this week. It's a complete buzzkill after a nice baseball game, couldn't be a worse transition. But then some people like horror movies too. I don't grok either one.

On the other hand the Right seems unable to mimic the more cerebral and more effective humor approach of a Jon Stewart, a Bill Maher or a George Carlin. Trade-off I guess.
Definite smell of sour grapes on that one. Heard it all before "We're too smart to worry about being popular. In fact, we go out of our way to remain unpopular".

Paranoia is used by both sides and it does work.
Remember the Democrats ad of throwing grandma off a cliff?

No. :dunno:

But it sounds like you're talking about a political campaign ad. That's a whole different animal. A radio talk show is on for (typically) three hours, not 30 seconds.

Definite smell of sour grapes on that one. Heard it all before "We're too smart to worry about being popular. In fact, we go out of our way to remain unpopular".

Best wishes on that, but I didn't post anything about anyone "being popular".

But it sounds like you're talking about a political campaign ad. That's a whole different animal. A radio talk show is on for (typically) three hours, not 30 seconds.

It sounds like you have never listened to left wing talk radio.

It's on the air here, of course I hear it. And radio was my career so yeah I know a bit about what's in there and how it works. :)

It's on the air here, of course I hear it. And radio was my career so yeah I know a bit about what's in there and how it works. :)

Then you should know that both sides use it.
Talk radio and political parties.

No, JoeyB, here's the real problem. You continue to make up lies about Rush's advertisers on Chicago's WLS 890 AM.

No, I don't. His advertisers as scams and goldbugs. Seriously, Tax Defenders? That's a scam.

For relative newcomers here this is an old story for JoeyB. He once claimed all of Rush's WLS advertisers had abandoned him in the wake of the Flake flack, forcing the station to air only Public Service Announcements and station self-promos during commercial breaks. We were kind enough at the time to point out he was full of shit as we are now with his latest episode. Just think of it as a blastoff Public Service Announcement.

Oh, Blasty, I know you love Rush more than he loves Dominican Rent Boys, but the fact is, the fat man is going down. You don't have a successful national show with Tax Defense scams and Gold Bugs.

I find it interesting that the lib that hate Rush know more about him and his advertisers than most other people.

But you can't conflate a 30-second ad (I assume that's what you refer to) with a three-hour talk show. Completely different environment. You can't develop a point in 30 seconds. All you can do is drop some sound bites and hope they take root as a meme.

That's not what we're talking about analyzing talk shows.

Yeah man. Listening to music is so much more enlightening. Everything liberals think is 180% opposite of reality.
Of course it is. The fact that you have no clue about this is also enlightening, though not surprising.
OK drummer boy. And Rush isn't angry. He leaves the valet a $200 tip to keep his car handy.
And you are STUPID enough to believe that whopper! :rofl::lmao:
You've already demonstrated your brain power so insults from you are like gnat farts.
If you're gullible to believe that lie, then you swallowed your MessiahRushie trying to top himself.

June 02, 2015
RUSH: You know, sometimes I even offer the valet a third hundred-dollar bill in my case. Sometimes… You know, you never know. These valets, some of them look… You shouldn’t judge people the way they look, but some of them do look shady and if I come out and my car is still there, I’ll give the guy a third hundred-dollar bill just thanks for not stealing the car.
He isn't my messiah, I'm a conservative. I don't need to drop to my knees and pray to a figurehead like you guys.

But what's that prove anyway? He gives 2 and sometimes 3 bills. So?

But you can't conflate a 30-second ad (I assume that's what you refer to) with a three-hour talk show. Completely different environment. You can't develop a point in 30 seconds. All you can do is drop some sound bites and hope they take root as a meme.

I am saying that both left and right talk radio shows use paranoia, not just the right talk radio shows.

I am saying that both left and right talk radio shows use paranoia, not just the right talk radio shows.

Then perhaps we must needs regroup. My original treatise (203) was about exactly that -- the use of paranoia-mining on radio talk shows, and specifically why it works better for one side than for the other. It was not a claim that one side does it and the other does not.

But that's not a fair comparison with a 30-second political campaign ad. That's apples to oranges.

By contrast with the pronounced "fall" of Mr. Limbaugh consider the rousing success of liberal talk radio across the fruited plain!

Oh, wait.....

Like all things liberal that failed.

But did anyone notice?

By contrast with the pronounced "fall" of Mr. Limbaugh consider the rousing success of liberal talk radio across the fruited plain!

Oh, wait.....

Like all things liberal that failed.

But did anyone notice?

Actually someone with some sort of radio background posted an absolutely brilliant surmisal of what's behind that dynamic -- post 203. :D

Did anyone notice?

Left out of that surmisal (but inserted elsewhere) was the simple truism that "success" and "failure" cannot be measured by sales figures. Unless that's all one is going for of course.

Which reminds us of Limblob's own description of his job:
"To make you mad" so he can "charge confiscatory ad rates".
(well, at least at the time he said that they were confiscatory... :eusa_shifty: )

-- all depends on what your goal is. If your aspirations are no more profound than what the number in the bank account is... that's what you get. "Reap what you sow" I believe is the traditional phrasing.

Forum List

Back