Russia attacks Ukranian nuclear power plant. Still not our war?

To counter the belligerent Soviet Union from invading European countries. To avoid a world war.

THANK GOODNESS we don't have to worry about that anymore, right?
Yes, thank goodness we don't, because it's a war in a faraway place between countries not our allies.

We WERE in NATO for a reason. There is little need to be involved in it now. All it does is risk dragging us into European wars. No one intends to invade the US. Not even Russia.
they need not invade, as long as the democrats are in charge giving every bit of our country away

Plutonium is pretty heavy. It wouldn't go very far.
It is extremely heavy, heavier than lead. At best it would only travel as far as the blast radius of the bomb? But it does take a bomb, to get plutonium to fission, could a bomb, would a bomb, result in the plutonium reaching critical mass, dividing, and releasing it's energy? I have my doubts, but I do not doubt that it could be a small scale, very small, nuclear detonation.

Well, educate us.

What happens when a bomb blows up in the middle of thousands of concentrated rods of plutonium.
That depends on how powerful the bomb is. What won't happen is you won't get a nuclear detonation.

That depends on how powerful the bomb is. What won't happen is you won't get a nuclear detonation.
I am sure you are right, but would you bet your life on it? That Plutonium would not detonate, even a little bit? We have seen some pretty crazy explosions with mild meltdowns, relatively speaking, what we have never experienced, is conventional weapons exploding in or near reactors.

Our president's lack of concern, is of course more dangerous than an actual detonation.

I am sure you are right, but would you bet your life on it? That Plutonium would not detonate, even a little bit? We have seen some pretty crazy explosions with mild meltdowns, relatively speaking, what we have never experienced, is conventional weapons exploding in or near reactors.

Our president's lack of concern, is of course more dangerous than an actual detonation.
Well, it isn't plutonium to begin. Plutonium is a product of fission but has to be processed from other heavy elements. I don't know the type of reactor in Ukraine is, but its likely a typical, run of the mill, U238 reactor. The U238 is processed into a pure form in the shape of rods that are then inserted into an assembly at specific locations around a circle or if square, in strategic locations to maximize the neutron interaction with the water. The other reason is that the other rods are made of a neutron-absorbing metal, usually Molybdenum or graphite. The reactions is controlled by how much of these neutron-absorbing metals separate and stop the interaction. This way, they can control the amount of heat generated. It is the super-heated water that is pumped through pipes into ordinary water baths, that transfer the heat to the ordinary water without radioactive contamination. That water, of course, is flashed into steam which then goes to generators (massive generators) to create the electricity.

A bomb, would not be much different than what happened to Chernobyl. Chernobyl was doing a 'spin down' test for war readiness and the reactor got out of their control. They could not control the reaction in the core chamber and when it was hot enough, it actually blew the top off the containment building. Of course, when that happened, all the liquid flash steamed and vented into the atmosphere and started rising very rapidly. The exposed core then began to meltdown and that process started vaporizing all the material around it. Cement, dirt, sand. That is what caused the majority of the contamination in the area, which exists to this day.

If the Russians bombed it, it would be an absolute catastrophe and an environmental (locally) disaster. But there would not be the big "mushroom cloud" explosion.

yet, we have seen much more, without a bomb, so dont mind me if I am a bit more than sure, that you are completely wrong. But hey, if you have evidence to the contrary, feel free to enlighten us.

Much more with plutonium? Where?

so dont mind me if I am a bit more than sure, that you are completely wrong.

Completely wrong about what it takes for plutonium to reach supercriticality?

Well, it isn't plutonium to begin. Plutonium is a product of fission but has to be processed from other heavy elements. I don't know the type of reactor in Ukraine is, but its likely a typical, run of the mill, U238 reactor. The U238 is processed into a pure form in the shape of rods that are then inserted into an assembly at specific locations around a circle or if square, in strategic locations to maximize the neutron interaction with the water. The other reason is that the other rods are made of a neutron-absorbing metal, usually Molybdenum or graphite. The reactions is controlled by how much of these neutron-absorbing metals separate and stop the interaction. This way, they can control the amount of heat generated. It is the super-heated water that is pumped through pipes into ordinary water baths, that transfer the heat to the ordinary water without radioactive contamination. That water, of course, is flashed into steam which then goes to generators (massive generators) to create the electricity.

A bomb, would not be much different than what happened to Chernobyl. Chernobyl was doing a 'spin down' test for war readiness and the reactor got out of their control. They could not control the reaction in the core chamber and when it was hot enough, it actually blew the top off the containment building. Of course, when that happened, all the liquid flash steamed and vented into the atmosphere and started rising very rapidly. The exposed core then began to meltdown and that process started vaporizing all the material around it. Cement, dirt, sand. That is what caused the majority of the contamination in the area, which exists to this day.

If the Russians bombed it, it would be an absolute catastrophe and an environmental (locally) disaster. But there would not be the big "mushroom cloud" explosion.

Plutonium is a product of fission

Plutonium is produced by neutron capture.

I don't know the type of reactor in Ukraine is, but its likely a typical, run of the mill, U238 reactor.

It uses lightly enriched Uranium 235.

Why should we get involved in the Ukraine. It is none of our business.

Well, the earth becomes a pretty small place when there is a nuclear winter.
Pick up a gun and head on over. They'll take you. Others have done it.

Plutonium is a product of fission

Plutonium is produced by neutron capture.

I don't know the type of reactor in Ukraine is, but its likely a typical, run of the mill, U238 reactor.

It uses lightly enriched Uranium 235.
Okay, it's been like 30 years since I've studied this stuff and I don't recall all the particulars. I was reciting most of that from memory.

Not ALL of its energy, but it could reach criticality, if the structure is compromised.

But even then, the danger and damage from a meltdown is much larger.

it could reach criticality, if the structure is compromised.

Criticality just means the nuclear reaction is self-sustaining.

Forum List

Back