Rust-proofing a Car

Every word of that is wrong. The best undercoating is non-hardening oil-based spray-on.
If you don't mind doing it every few months, a big downside. And even then it's just more for your own comfort, as the typical car rust will proceed as normal on most of the car.

Also, it's a useless scam on newer vehicles, which already come with corrosion Protection.

The only way to rust proof a car is to keep it in a vacuum chamber forever.

Or make it out of gold.

It cannot be done.

And for the love of Jesus, DO NOT USE THE ZIEBART SPRAY COATING, unless you do not plan to keep the vehicle for very long. It traps in moisture and results in worse frame rot than if you didn't have it.
Ziebart was a scam

They promised to prevent rust on your underside by spraying a thick undercoating.
In reality, it trapped moisture between the undercoating and the body. You were better off without it

If you don't mind doing it every few months, a big downside. And even then it's just more for your own comfort, as the typical car rust will proceed as normal on most of the car.

Also, it's a useless scam on newer vehicles, which already come with corrosion Protection.

Once a year, tops, takes about an hour and a half. Shop with a sprayer can do it in 40 minutes.

Ziebart was a scam

They promised to prevent rust on your underside by spraying a thick undercoating.
In reality, it trapped moisture between the undercoating and the body. You were better off without it
You don't understand how iron oxide forms, do you. (That's not a question.)

Yes I do

You trap moisture between the frame and the rustproof, you are going to get rust
And the oil-based coatings don't really hold up on daily drivers. You will get the same results just cleaning the underbody frequently.

Now, if you buy a used vehicle with lots of rust already, oil coatings can help slow the process, which will be accelerated if left on its own.

And the oil-based coatings don't really hold up on daily drivers. You will get the same results just cleaning the underbody frequently.

Now, if you buy a used vehicle with lots of rust already, oil coatings can help slow the process, which will be accelerated if left on its own.
Describe in detail YOUR experience with oil undercoating. Be specific.

Describe in detail YOUR experience with oil undercoating. Be specific.
Admittedly, none. Just what I have heard re: newer vehicle vs. Oder vehicles, and the idea that it doest even last the full year between applications on Daly drivers.

The only gushing over it see are in ads from people who sell it or who charge to apply it.

Admittedly, none. Just what I have heard re: newer vehicle vs. Oder vehicles, and the idea that it doest even last the full year between applications on Daly drivers.

The only gushing over it see are in ads from people who sell it or who charge to apply it.
So...the sum total of your knowledge is-exactly-zero. Therefore, everything you post can be disregarded.

So...the sum total of your knowledge is-exactly-zero. Therefore, everything you post can be disregarded.
That's some pretty special and whiny illogic. Let me guess: you work at an auto shop and sell these coatings. Or you have another vaginal infection. Because you sure are grumpy.

That's some pretty special and whiny illogic. Let me guess: you work at an auto shop and sell these coatings. Or you have another vaginal infection. Because you sure are grumpy.

No, boy, I don't sell rustproofing. Now piss off, your betters are talking.

Yet again: the sum total of your knowledge is-exactly-zero. Therefore, everything you post can be disregarded. DISMISSED!

No, I don't sell rustproofing.

Yet again: the sum total of your knowledge is-exactly-zero. Therefore, everything you post can be disregarded. DISMISSED!
I don't study quantum physics either. But if I say something correct about it, it is still correct. That's why you sound so whiny and childish.

I don't study quantum physics either. But if I say something correct about it, it is still correct. That's why you sound so whiny and childish.
You don't know what the fuck you're babbling about. By your own words, you have-exactly-zero experience of any kind with any oil-based undercoating of any kind. Therefore, you know somewhere between nothing and slightly less about the subject and therefore, you should shut your cake flap. Piss off, your betters are talking.

You don't know what the fuck you're babbling about. By your own words, you have-exactly-zero experience of any kind with any oil-based undercoating of any kind. Therefore, you know somewhere between nothing and slightly less about the subject and therefore, you should shut your cake flap. Piss off, your betters are talking.
I have zero experience shooting heroin, too. I can still talk about whether heroin is good or bad though

So, when you are done with your little hissy fit, how about giving us the elevator pitch? Tell us what is so great about non-hardening oil undercoating.

I have zero experience shooting heroin, too. I can still talk about whether heroin is good or bad though

So, when you are done with your little hissy fit, how about giving us the elevator pitch? Tell us what is so great about non-hardening oil undercoating.
I'm sorry, boy, I dismissed you already. Piss off, stop bothering your betters.

Anecdotally, in the mid-70's a local Pittsburgh Fiat dealer had a policy that every new Fiat had to have Ziebart rustproofing. As we all know, Fiats were known at the time as rust buckets.

My wife's cousin bought a 128 coupe, had it Ziebarted, and it still rusted visibly in less than two years.

One of their sales pitches was about body cavities like truck tailgates, doors, and enclosed fenders. They would drill holes in the bottom, and spray their goop around in the cavities with special curved nozzles to ensure that all areas were coated. The goop was about the same texture as molasses.

I have lived basically my entire life (1949-present) in Pittsburgh, which in terms of automotive rust, is probably the heart of the "Rust Belt." Our combination of winter snow and the extensive use of road salt made rust and corrosion the biggest factors in most cars' slow slide to the scrap heap. Some cars rusted more quickly than others, but almost no cars escaped it entirely. To be fair, this was a combination of poor paint technology in cars and our corrosive environment.

One of the biggest preventive measures that was used in the '60's and 70's was Ziebart rust-proofing. You took your car there immediately after purchasing it, they sprayed on gallons of their special goop, and you were supposedly protected. When the average car was $4,000, the Ziebart treatment was a little under $200. They guaranteed no rust-through if you brought the car back once a year for a quick once-over and possibly more goop. The remedy if the car did rust through was some amount of money to repair body damage - probably a thousand dollars or so.

But in all the hundreds of car-restoration programs I have watched, I have never seen a single car that had been rust-proofed. Maybe that's just because restorers focus on cars from the Southwest, but still it is noteworthy.

Has anyone reading had a significant experience with rust-proofing...had a car that lasted longer than expected or had a car where it didn't work out? The treatment was so extensive here that I'm curious whether it actually worked.
Personally, I've always used WD-40 to help prevent rust.

WD = water displacement.

Undercoating is free. Just run over the fresh hot asphalt. That's what I've always done with my trucks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back