Sacramento BLM vs Cop Cruiser

You've never touched a piece of equipment, like a R-1051 or AN/WSC-3, that didn't have it's grounding strap securely fastened to ship ground have you.

Not sure your point?

1600279219340.png

The equipment ground will be at a different potential than that of the ship when power is applied to the equipment if there isn't a grounding strap from the case of the equipment to the ships metal frame. Different potentials means a current will form between them if a resistance such as a human body provides the path for the current to flow. Guys and gals have died from it if that difference in potential is significant. An improper ground like that also causes the equipment to act very strange where symptoms when troubleshooting it can change constantly.

I believe I have a story about that in my Calypso files.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Attachments

• 1600278602275.png
    1600278602275.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You've never touched a piece of equipment, like a R-1051 or AN/WSC-3, that didn't have it's grounding strap securely fastened to ship ground have you.

Not sure your point?

View attachment 389419

The equipment ground will be at a different potential than that of the ship when power is applied to the equipment if there isn't a grounding strap from the case of the equipment to the ships metal frame. Different potentials means a current will form between them if a resistance such as a human body provides the path for the current to flow. Guys and gals have died from it if that difference in potential is significant. An improper ground like that also causes the equipment to act very strange where symptoms when troubleshooting it can change constantly.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Right, you're talking about various circuits floating at different potentials, meaning that when interconnected, current flows between them creating hum, noise and other problems. Having a common ground solves that problem as even a well-isolated chassis ground can build up a static potential isolated.

Not sure your point?

View attachment 389419

*****CHUCKLE*****

Right, you're talking about various circuits floating at different potentials, meaning that when interconnected, current flows between them creating hum, noise and other problems. Having a common ground solves that problem as even a well-isolated chassis ground can build up a static potential isolated.

1600287183832.png

You got it and it can happen even when one of the largest grounds available is flowing around you.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Forum List

Back