Salem's Lot (2024)

Not great, not even good.

Was excited for an update to the old classic and this one just failed.

I am a little annoyed with myself for watching it all
It's often difficult to do much with a Stephen King novel.

They resisted the urge to fill the cast with lesbians and trannies, and I thought it was less dated than the original.

They might have thought that the vampire attack in a drive-in was a good idea, but I thought that was stupid.

If I remember correctly the original, based on a Stephen King novel, was a series. It was suspenseful without being overly slasher. Leave to H'wood to trade suspense for gore. I guess that's what today's generation expects.

If I remember correctly the original, based on a Stephen King novel, was a series. It was suspenseful without being overly slasher. Leave to H'wood to trade suspense for gore. I guess that's what today's generation expects.

It was a two part "mini-series" starring David Soul and James Mason, with Lance Kerwin and Bonnie Bedelia. It was much better than this 2024 version, and a little better than the 2004 Rob Lowe version. I believe the original 1979 David Soul version is streaming on MAX as well.

The book is one of my favorites by King, if I'm not mistaken it was his second published book. It's the only book I remember giving me the willies when I read it. In the middle of the afternoon.

There was not much gore, especially by today's standards. The suspense was there, the wife jumped a couple times.

It just was not well done, the story line was convoluted and the stupid glowing crosses made no sense

It was a two part "mini-series" starring David Soul and James Mason, with Lance Kerwin and Bonnie Bedelia. It was much better than this 2024 version, and a little better than the 2004 Rob Lowe version. I believe the original 1979 David Soul version is streaming on MAX as well.

The book is one of my favorites by King, if I'm not mistaken it was his second published book. It's the only book I remember giving me the willies when I read it. In the middle of the afternoon.
I agree completely. The" Lot" is one of the few King books I re-read. They made a sequel "return to Salem's Lot" that was basically slasher and stupid. Adults today grew up with violent vids and it seems that Hollywood isn't able to create suspense so the natural response is to push the envelope to more realistic slasher gore.

Last edited:
I agree completely. The Lot is one of the few King books I re-read.

For me it's Salem's Lot and The Stand.

I just bought The Stand (1994) mini-series, remastered, restored deleted scenes and with some bonus material on Blu-Ray for $6 and change on Amazon. I hear the 2020 version sucked so I haven't bothered to watch it.

Forum List

Back