Save The Nutria!

Bloody fools. It's amazing that this planet does survive all the idiotic tree huggers out there. Unfortunately local governments always listen to the whiners first and then a "nuisance" issue becomes a "nightmare" issue like wild hogs.

They've now spread to close to 40 states and the damage they do to crops and wildlife is horrific.

Last edited:
You are welcome to all of mine. They crawl out of the pond next to me and wreek havoc.

ponds are so nice-----I lived in a place with ponds when I was a kid-----it ALL GOT DRAINED and filled in
as CIVILIZATION ENCROACHED

Only in California - A Rodent Infestation of Their Own

Nutria.jpg

They weigh from 9 to 20 pounds and a single female can give birth to nearly 40 pups per year. They were imported to California and were supposedly wiped out in the wild n 1978.

But - they're baaaaack.

Nutria are 2.5-feet-long, weigh around 20 pounds, and can eat up to 25% of their body weight a day. "They burrow in dikes, and levees, and road beds, so they weaken infrastructure, (which is) problematic for flood control systems,” California Fish and Wildlife spokesperson Peter Tira tells KCRA. Wetlands and levees in the areas where the nutria have been found are needed for flood control and providing water to cities and farms in Southern California. "The issue would be the infrastructure because if we get flooding or if we can’t pump water off and can’t maintain those levees then, of course, it’s going to be difficult to farm in those areas,” Tim Pelican, agriculture commissioner of San Joaquin County, tells CBS Sacramento. Officials are setting traps for the rodents and asking residents to report sightings.

So, please don't try to make pets of them.

From Officials fear flooding caused by outbreak of giant rodents

Only in California - A Rodent Infestation of Their Own

Nutria.jpg

They weigh from 9 to 20 pounds and a single female can give birth to nearly 40 pups per year. They were imported to California and were supposedly wiped out in the wild n 1978.

But - they're baaaaack.

Nutria are 2.5-feet-long, weigh around 20 pounds, and can eat up to 25% of their body weight a day. "They burrow in dikes, and levees, and road beds, so they weaken infrastructure, (which is) problematic for flood control systems,” California Fish and Wildlife spokesperson Peter Tira tells KCRA. Wetlands and levees in the areas where the nutria have been found are needed for flood control and providing water to cities and farms in Southern California. "The issue would be the infrastructure because if we get flooding or if we can’t pump water off and can’t maintain those levees then, of course, it’s going to be difficult to farm in those areas,” Tim Pelican, agriculture commissioner of San Joaquin County, tells CBS Sacramento. Officials are setting traps for the rodents and asking residents to report sightings.

So, please don't try to make pets of them.

From Officials fear flooding caused by outbreak of giant rodents

Why anyone would want a swamp rat for a pet is beyond me.

They originally were imported from south America for their fur in 1889. When the bottom fell out of the fur market in the 40's they just released them into the wild.

Bloody fools. It's amazing that this planet does survive all the idiotic tree huggers out there. Unfortunately local governments always listen to the whiners first and then a "nuisance" issue becomes a "nightmare" issue like wild hogs.

They've now spread to close to 40 states and the damage they do to crops and wildlife is horrific.

It's another invasive species...not even native. Like wild hogs.

OK I give I had an agouti. I waltzed into my own store and saw this bigger than a degu and I fell in love and got him out of the store lickety quick and Bob was one of my best friends forever till we got her to the Toronto Zoo.

I understand why people love and adore exotics. And they are trying to help. Especially with monitors for example. I could give you a quizzillion reasons why a tegu should live with you. But most don't understand.

Fetch the lawyers! The nutria have a right to be there too! :laugh:

After all, it's California.

Invasive 20-pound rodents increasingly burrowing into California
Good eating, I hear.
I have had Nutria sausage. Not bad.

You could put pig anus in sausage and it wouldnt taste bad.
Some Sulzewursts & Blutwursts are not my thing. However, for the most part, definitely.

Fetch the lawyers! The nutria have a right to be there too! :laugh:

After all, it's California.

Invasive 20-pound rodents increasingly burrowing into California
Good eating, I hear.
I have had Nutria sausage. Not bad.

You could put pig anus in sausage and it wouldnt taste bad.
Some Sulzewursts & Blutwursts are not my thing. However, for the most part, definitely.

I used to get around 200 lbs of sausage a year made when I hunted a lot.
It really depended on the animal as to whether I turned it into sausage or steak.

The Axis I had steaked out from end to end.
It had zero gamey taste and was akin to a lean piece of beef as they only eat grass.

upload_2018-2-11_19-49-43.png

The only thing I steak out on a whitetail is the back strap,the rest makes sausage.

upload_2018-2-11_19-52-18.png

Forum List

Back