School Janitor Fired for wanting American Flag treated with respect.

He may have no recourse for being fired as a probational employee... BUT bad publicity may indeed force the school system to give him his job back

As for taking down the flags himself... maybe, just maybe, it was not his job... did not have the key to the flag pole (yes, the HS my kids go to has a lock on it so the flag cannot just be taken up and down by anyone).. there may be ALL KINDS OF REASONS why he did not or could not

regardless.. the chump employee that did treat the flags like that should be disciplined

Every school I've ever known...it IS the Janitor's job.

He may have no recourse for being fired as a probational employee... BUT bad publicity may indeed force the school system to give him his job back

As for taking down the flags himself... maybe, just maybe, it was not his job... did not have the key to the flag pole (yes, the HS my kids go to has a lock on it so the flag cannot just be taken up and down by anyone).. there may be ALL KINDS OF REASONS why he did not or could not

regardless.. the chump employee that did treat the flags like that should be disciplined

Me too... but when I was in HS, we had 7 janitors that I remember.. yet only 2 handled the flag ever...

I don't know if this guy had access or was charged to do it... that is all I am saying

Todays Americans have little understanding or respect for the flag. It is a combination of ignorance and indifference. They have no problem with flying the flag until it is in tatters or draping themselves in a flag like a beach towel. During the National Anthem they never bother to remove their hats or show respect.

If you were not in the military or the scouts you have no concept of how a flag should be folded or treated respectfully.

He was a probationary employee who publically embarassed his school

There are other ways to ensure proper treatment of the flag without posting photos over the internet. Protocol is key as you should report it up the chain of command. As a vet, he should have explained how much it means to him and offered to take down the flag properly

Probationary employees should not make waves...and he made waves

He had brought the matter to his supervisors, according to the article. He got no results.
I'm betting that the school's flag won't be sitting crumpled in a ball on a shelf with toilet bowl cleaner any more. I'd also lay even odds he gets his job back.
You're right. He was a probationary employee. He really should have waited his 90 days so he was protected by a union and couldn't be fired, like the woman who was mishandling the our nation's flag

Todays Americans have little understanding or respect for the flag. It is a combination of ignorance and indifference. They have no problem with flying the flag until it is in tatters or draping themselves in a flag like a beach towel. During the National Anthem they never bother to remove their hats or show respect.

If you were not in the military or the scouts you have no concept of how a flag should be folded or treated respectfully.

I don't think that is true. I think most Americans understand how it is supposed to be handled. I am sceptical about the claims of this janitor regarding the flag, the handling of the flag, his other problems with his job, etc. He seems to have no credibility. The flag may very well have not been mishandled. It would be very surprising and rather incredible that if it were actually be mishandled, school administrators would not care: my experience of school administrator in the US, and I have quite a bit of experience in dealing with them on a professional basis, is that they would be very much concerned if the flag were not being handled with respect. I think the janitor is full of shit and probably deserved to be fired for other reasons, now he's looking to get some compensation saying he was unfairly fired. He's also apparently trying to get compensation for an on the job injury. A piece of work this guy seems to be.

Ignorance is no excuse.. and employees who may be ignorant need to be trained and informed by management.. and if they fail, the responsibility goes further up the chain.. and any management, when informed of such a thing by a vet should take it seriously, IMHO

Zakahi was still within his 90-day probation period when he was terminated.

That's all that matters. He should have no case. What he did was stupid. Don't diss your employer on the internet.

When I was in Junior High, we actually had 2 security guards (un armed) and they did it.

I don't think that is true. I think most Americans understand how it is supposed to be handled. I am sceptical about the claims of this janitor regarding the flag, the handling of the flag, his other problems with his job, etc. He seems to have no credibility. The flag may very well have not been mishandled. It would be very surprising and rather incredible that if it were actually be mishandled, school administrators would not care: my experience of school administrator in the US, and I have quite a bit of experience in dealing with them on a professional basis, is that they would be very much concerned if the flag were not being handled with respect. I think the janitor is full of shit and probably deserved to be fired for other reasons, now he's looking to get some compensation saying he was unfairly fired. He's also apparently trying to get compensation for an on the job injury. A piece of work this guy seems to be.

I find it interesting that you would think a veteran who has given at least 4 years service to his country is lying about the mistreatment of the flag. Considering he posted corroborating photos on facebook, you seem to be saying he crumpled up the flag himself and placed it in a couple different locations.
Why would you believe this vet is lying? The school did not even deny the flag was mistreated. It has only claimed that he wasn't fired for his facebook posts.

I think you owe the man an apology, don't you?

Me too... but when I was in HS, we had 7 janitors that I remember.. yet only 2 handled the flag ever...

I don't know if this guy had access or was charged to do it... that is all I am saying

Soooo, he should have stepped up and said "I'll do it". But I guess it's easier to whine.

Why did he set out to publicly humiliate the school?

He set out, to rectify the mistreatment of the flag. When reporting this to his superiors didn't have results, he did what he felt was in his power.

I'm betting the flag is now stored with honor when not up the pole.

I find it interesting that you would think a veteran who has given at least 4 years service to his country is lying about the mistreatment of the flag. Considering he posted corroborating photos on facebook, you seem to be saying he crumpled up the flag himself and placed it in a couple different locations.
Why would you believe this vet is lying? The school did not even deny the flag was mistreated. It has only claimed that he wasn't fired for his facebook posts.

Why would we? As a veteran, I would have simply taken it upon myself to rectify the situation BY DOING IT MYSELF if no one else seemed able or willing.

Why would we? As a veteran, I would have simply taken it upon myself to rectify the situation BY DOING IT MYSELF if no one else seemed able or willing.
Have you considered that he may have offered to and the female employee that handled the flag actually wanted to keep the job for some reason?
Come on Bodie. You're a vet. Can't you come down on this guy's side for once, or does he sound too Conservative or homophobic for you?

Last edited:

Have you considered that he may have offered to and the female employee that handled the flag actually wanted to keep the job for some reason?
Come on Bodie. You're a vet can't you come down on this guy's side for once, or does he sound to conservative or homophobic for you?

I would come down on his side if he took ACTION rather than being a little weasle. How long do you think THAT kind of behavior would have flown in the military?....ok, besides the Air Force.....:eusa_whistle:

Soooo, he should have stepped up and said "I'll do it". But I guess it's easier to whine.

No.. you report it to those in charge.. you might volunteer to do it if it means as much to him as it does to some of us... but we don't know if he did that or anything else..

Forum List

Back