School Janitor Fired for wanting American Flag treated with respect.

Todays Americans have little understanding or respect for the flag. It is a combination of ignorance and indifference. They have no problem with flying the flag until it is in tatters or draping themselves in a flag like a beach towel. During the National Anthem they never bother to remove their hats or show respect.

If you were not in the military or the scouts you have no concept of how a flag should be folded or treated respectfully.

I don't think that is true. I think most Americans understand how it is supposed to be handled. I am sceptical about the claims of this janitor regarding the flag, the handling of the flag, his other problems with his job, etc. He seems to have no credibility. The flag may very well have not been mishandled. It would be very surprising and rather incredible that if it were actually be mishandled, school administrators would not care: my experience of school administrator in the US, and I have quite a bit of experience in dealing with them on a professional basis, is that they would be very much concerned if the flag were not being handled with respect. I think the janitor is full of shit and probably deserved to be fired for other reasons, now he's looking to get some compensation saying he was unfairly fired. He's also apparently trying to get compensation for an on the job injury. A piece of work this guy seems to be.

I find it interesting that you would think a veteran who has given at least 4 years service to his country is lying about the mistreatment of the flag. Considering he posted corroborating photos on facebook, you seem to be saying he crumpled up the flag himself and placed it in a couple different locations.
Why would you believe this vet is lying? The school did not even deny the flag was mistreated. It has only claimed that he wasn't fired for his facebook posts.

I think you owe the man an apology, don't you?

A veteran should understand the possible ramifications of going outside the chain of command. As a probationary employee in an unskilled position posting accusatory information against your employer is not a good idea

I suspect there is more to this story than simple respect for the flag

He may have no recourse for being fired as a probational employee... BUT bad publicity may indeed force the school system to give him his job back

As for taking down the flags himself... maybe, just maybe, it was not his job... did not have the key to the flag pole (yes, the HS my kids go to has a lock on it so the flag cannot just be taken up and down by anyone).. there may be ALL KINDS OF REASONS why he did not or could not

regardless.. the chump employee that did treat the flags like that should be disciplined

Todays Americans have little understanding or respect for the flag. It is a combination of ignorance and indifference. They have no problem with flying the flag until it is in tatters or draping themselves in a flag like a beach towel. During the National Anthem they never bother to remove their hats or show respect.

If you were not in the military or the scouts you have no concept of how a flag should be folded or treated respectfully.

I don't think that is true. I think most Americans understand how it is supposed to be handled. I am sceptical about the claims of this janitor regarding the flag, the handling of the flag, his other problems with his job, etc. He seems to have no credibility. The flag may very well have not been mishandled. It would be very surprising and rather incredible that if it were actually be mishandled, school administrators would not care: my experience of school administrator in the US, and I have quite a bit of experience in dealing with them on a professional basis, is that they would be very much concerned if the flag were not being handled with respect. I think the janitor is full of shit and probably deserved to be fired for other reasons, now he's looking to get some compensation saying he was unfairly fired. He's also apparently trying to get compensation for an on the job injury. A piece of work this guy seems to be.

I have found the picture of the flag crumbled up that the janitor took and posted on the internet. A flag shouldn't be treated that way, but the janitor shouldn't have treated the school that way. He should have helped the woman take the flag down and final folded it himself. The two of them could have quickly done the initial folding. I did the final folding on flags, because when other did it, it was rejected and I was required to stay there until it was done correctly. I had a few times when someone with me took enough interest to want to practice, but usually they just handed the flag to me, so they could get out of there. It wasn't like I had to do it all the time, but you do it right and those MPs made sure it was removed from the flag pole and folded properly.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/...red-after-posting-Facebook-photo-hires-lawyer

Don't the rotc kids usually take the flag down anyway?

I hope they win a nice big fat chunk of money and the School Superintendent is removed from office as soon as possible.

A Fort Pierre man who said he was fired from a school district after posting photos of a crumpled U.S. flag on Facebook has obtained legal counsel to evaluate his options, and his lawyer said cooler heads can prevail in the matter.

Cesar Zakahi of Fort Pierre told several local media outlets that he posted the photos over the weekend to draw attention to the fact that a co-worker was disrespecting the American flag. Zakahi said the Stanley County School District fired him on Monday for posting the photos.

Superintendent Don Hotalling confirmed Zakahi no longer works for the Stanley County School District, but he said it wasn’t because of the photos. He said he couldn’t comment further because it’s a personnel issue.

Zakahi, who is an Air Force veteran, claims a coworker would crumple up the American and South Dakota flags and put them on a boiler after taking them down from an outside pole. Joel Arends, a Sioux Falls lawyer, has been hired to represent Zakahi in the matter, and said Zakahi has, over the last month or so, reported to his immediate supervisor and to Hotalling that the flag was being mishandled.

He said Zakahi felt his complaint wasn’t being addressed, and the flag continued to be mishandled, sometimes being crumpled up on a boiler, other times being crumpled up next to toilet bowl cleaner. Arends said Zakahi posted the photos online only after the other worker didn’t change the way she handled the flag.

Arends said on Monday that Zakahi was called into the superintendent’s office, along with his immediate supervisor, and the superintendent told him the photos embarrassed him and that he was out of bounds for posting the photos, so he was fired. Prior to the firing, Zakahi also filed an injury report about an injured knee he received while performing janitorial duties at the school, Arends said.

Zakahi was still within his 90-day probation period when he was terminated.

Where did this come from?

Link?

I have found the picture of the flag crumbled up that the janitor took and posted on the internet. A flag shouldn't be treated that way, but the janitor shouldn't have treated the school that way. He should have helped the woman take the flag down and final folded it himself. The two of them could have quickly done the initial folding. I did the final folding on flags, because when other did it, it was rejected and I was required to stay there until it was done correctly. I had a few times when someone with me took enough interest to want to practice, but usually they just handed the flag to me, so they could get out of there. It wasn't like I had to do it all the time, but you do it right and those MPs made sure it was removed from the flag pole and folded properly.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/...red-after-posting-Facebook-photo-hires-lawyer

I have seen much worse treatment of the flag. This is just ignorance. She obviously just takes down the flag, lumps it into a pile and lays it wherever is convenient for the next day. I don't see it as willful disrespect of the flag

The Janitor should have handled the situation better. Posting it on the internet was not a wise choice. He should have taken it upon himself to refold the flag every day and offered to take on the role for the school. Embarassing your employer was not a wise choice

Why would we? As a veteran, I would have simply taken it upon myself to rectify the situation BY DOING IT MYSELF if no one else seemed able or willing.
Have you considered that he may have offered to and the female employee that handled the flag actually wanted to keep the job for some reason?
Come on Bodie. You're a vet can't you come down on this guy's side for once, or does he sound to conservative or homophobic for you?

I would come down on his side if he took ACTION rather than being a little weasle. How long do you think THAT kind of behavior would have flown in the military?....ok, besides the Air Force.....:eusa_whistle:

In the military, he would have gotten some action when he first reported the situation. He wouldn't have needed to go outside the chain of command.

Have you considered that he may have offered to and the female employee that handled the flag actually wanted to keep the job for some reason?
Come on Bodie. You're a vet can't you come down on this guy's side for once, or does he sound to conservative or homophobic for you?

I would come down on his side if he took ACTION rather than being a little weasle. How long do you think THAT kind of behavior would have flown in the military?....ok, besides the Air Force.....:eusa_whistle:

In the military, he would have gotten some action when he first reported the situation. He wouldn't have needed to go outside the chain of command.

What was the first reaction he got?

Apathy. Didn't you bother to read the article?

I hope they win a nice big fat chunk of money and the School Superintendent is removed from office as soon as possible.

A Fort Pierre man who said he was fired from a school district after posting photos of a crumpled U.S. flag on Facebook has obtained legal counsel to evaluate his options, and his lawyer said cooler heads can prevail in the matter.

Cesar Zakahi of Fort Pierre told several local media outlets that he posted the photos over the weekend to draw attention to the fact that a co-worker was disrespecting the American flag. Zakahi said the Stanley County School District fired him on Monday for posting the photos.

Superintendent Don Hotalling confirmed Zakahi no longer works for the Stanley County School District, but he said it wasn’t because of the photos. He said he couldn’t comment further because it’s a personnel issue.

Zakahi, who is an Air Force veteran, claims a coworker would crumple up the American and South Dakota flags and put them on a boiler after taking them down from an outside pole. Joel Arends, a Sioux Falls lawyer, has been hired to represent Zakahi in the matter, and said Zakahi has, over the last month or so, reported to his immediate supervisor and to Hotalling that the flag was being mishandled.

He said Zakahi felt his complaint wasn’t being addressed, and the flag continued to be mishandled, sometimes being crumpled up on a boiler, other times being crumpled up next to toilet bowl cleaner. Arends said Zakahi posted the photos online only after the other worker didn’t change the way she handled the flag.

Arends said on Monday that Zakahi was called into the superintendent’s office, along with his immediate supervisor, and the superintendent told him the photos embarrassed him and that he was out of bounds for posting the photos, so he was fired. Prior to the firing, Zakahi also filed an injury report about an injured knee he received while performing janitorial duties at the school, Arends said.

Where did this come from?

Link?

It's the same story in many places just by typing in the person's name in a search engine. I think originally it was an AP story.

Don't the rotc kids usually take the flag down anyway?

I wasn't a Rotsy Ranger in College and loved making fun at them. I didn't get a student deferment, my draft lotter number came up 13, so I joined up and 6 months later I'm sure they would have been laughing at me. It was poetic justice.

I want to be a Rotsy Ranger
I want to go to Vietnam
I want to kill poor women and children
All for the glory of Uncle Sam

Flag folding for me involved school, the Boy Scouts and the Marines. I did my part to be a draft dodger, because I couldn't let Bush/Cheney have it all.

Unless I missed something in the story, we have his side, his allegations. A photo of the flag tells nothing, especially not who did it. The post seems to have been bait to see if anyone also 'disrespected' the flag.

That wing wipping, runway sweeping, control freak didn't have to go postal on that woman, who wasn't in the military, boy scouts and was too young to have to fold a flag in school.

I'm not the kind of person who would burn the flag of my enemy, but I don't demand others to do as I do. I make up my own mind on what I do and give others the same freedom. I don't have Uncle Sam tatooed on my ass.

That wing wipping, runway sweeping, control freak didn't have to go postal on that woman, who wasn't in the military, boy scouts and was too young to have to fold a flag in school.

I'm not the kind of person who would burn the flag of my enemy, but I don't demand others to do as I do. I make up my own mind on what I do and give others the same freedom. I don't have Uncle Sam tatooed on my ass.

I don't like tattoos, either.

In his facebook post he showed a video and urged people to call the school and complain about this

He obviously didn't care if his coworker was fired for all the complaints.

He ended up getting fired

Last edited:

The dummy!

Had he just been selling crack to students, the union would have backed him. But supporting the flag will not be tolerated.

For that reason alone, he has no case.

Yep...people on their probationary period can be let go for any or no reason whatsoever.

Almost true. However, even those on probationary periods cannot be fired for a number of reasons including, of course, prohibited discriminatory reasons such as race, age, union support, etc. Right-to-work states are not immune from an assortment of laws which bar terminations for illegal reasons, and probationary status does not give the employer a right to violate anti-discrimination laws.

I would urge that anyone who is terminated for any reason contact an attorney who specializes in employment law. I am aware of a number of probationary employees who appealed their termination and won.

Edited to add that OP's link revealed the employee filed a claim for an on-the-job injury prior to his termination; thus the employee may be able to allege illegal retaliatory termination for exercising his rights under his state's labor laws. Federal law and – as far as I know – the labor laws of every state make it illegal for an employer to fire someone because they filed a claim involving an on-the-job injury. An employee's probationary status is irrelevant.

Last edited:
For that reason alone, he has no case.

Yep...people on their probationary period can be let go for any or no reason whatsoever.

Almost true. However, even those on probationary periods cannot be fired for a number of reasons including, of course, prohibited discriminatory reasons such as race, age, union support, etc. Right-to-work states are not immune from an assortment of laws which bar terminations for illegal reasons, and probationary status does not give the employer a right to violate anti-discrimination laws.

I would urge that anyone who is terminated for any reason contact an attorney who specializes in employment law. I am aware of a number of probationary employees who appealed their termination and won.

Edited to add that OP's link revealed the employee filed a claim for an on-the-job injury prior to his termination; thus the employee may be able to allege illegal retaliatory termination for exercising his rights under his state's labor laws. Federal law and – as far as I know – the labor laws of every state make it illegal for an employer to fire someone because they filed a claim involving an on-the-job injury. An employee's probationary status is irrelevant.

You really think this guy doesn't already have a lawyer?

Forum List

Back