Schools Closed in Virginia District After Uproar Over Arabic Calligraphy Lesson

Are you proud, conservative wingnuts?

Schools Closed After Uproar Over Arabic Calligraphy Lesson

A central Virginia school district has cancelled classes Friday after concerns over the "tone and content" of calls and emails received about a lesson in Arabic calligraphy.

Augusta County Public Schools, near Staunton in central Virginia, will be closed after the district received "voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area" about a high school World Geography class lesson, the district announced Thursday evening.

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy, superintendent Eric Bond told The News Leader.

"The students were presented with the statement to demonstrate the complex artistry of the written language used in the Middle East, and were asked to attempt to copy it in order to give the students an idea of the artistic complexity of the calligraphy," a statement Bond gave the paper said.
The statement was not translated into English, and students were not asked to "translate it, recite it or otherwise adopt or pronounce it as a personal belief," Bond said.

A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.

What's next? You guys (Americans) going to outlaw the Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,) and start using Roman numerals? Try getting to Mars with that system. Oh yeah, I forgot, you've given up BIG IDEAS, regressing to the little ones, back to the future with the 19th century Know Nothings. Jesus, to think I used to envy you guys.

Wonder if some of these yahoos ever use alcohol with or without a carafe. Or algebra. Or use software that uses algorithms, or ever use alkaline batteries.

-- Or drink coffee or carob. Or eat candy. Or spinach or artichokes or lemons or limes or oranges or tangerines or apricots. Or play a guitar. Or write a check (cheque). Or wear cotton. Or sleep on a mattress or even a sofa.

They gonna have to give all that up. It's all "indoctrination".
They were given a statement of faith to copy out.

The students might have more problems with algebra. The parents weren't complaining about using arabic numbers. They were complaining of being forced to make a confession of islamic faith. There is lots of islamic literature. Use that.

A central Virginia school district has cancelled classes Friday after concerns over the "tone and content" of calls and emails received about a lesson in Arabic calligraphy.

Augusta County Public Schools, near Staunton in central Virginia, will be closed after the district received "voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area" about a high school World Geography class lesson, the district announced Thursday evening.

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy, superintendent Eric Bond told The News Leader.

"The students were presented with the statement to demonstrate the complex artistry of the written language used in the Middle East, and were asked to attempt to copy it in order to give the students an idea of the artistic complexity of the calligraphy," a statement Bond gave the paper said.
The statement was not translated into English, and students were not asked to "translate it, recite it or otherwise adopt or pronounce it as a personal belief," Bond said.

A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.

What's next? You guys (Americans) going to outlaw the Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,) and start using Roman numerals? Try getting to Mars with that system. Oh yeah, I forgot, you've given up BIG IDEAS, regressing to the little ones, back to the future with the 19th century Know Nothings. Jesus, to think I used to envy you guys.

Wonder if some of these yahoos ever use alcohol with or without a carafe. Or algebra. Or use software that uses algorithms, or ever use alkaline batteries.

-- Or drink coffee or carob. Or eat candy. Or spinach or artichokes or lemons or limes or oranges or tangerines or apricots. Or play a guitar. Or write a check (cheque). Or wear cotton. Or sleep on a mattress or even a sofa.

The students might have more problems with algebra. The parents weren't complaining about using arabic numbers. They were complaining of being forced to make a confession of islamic faith. There is lots of islamic literature. Use that.
So copying something down in a foreign language mears you are "confessing" it i.ie. you believe it?

I don't like the assignment because they didn't give them calligraphy pens to write with. Dumb assignment. Not indoctrination.

And certainly not deserving dumb ass rednecks calling in threats to the school.

Read the story on Bing:

Furor over Arabic assignment leads Virginia school district to close Friday

1. The phrase that was required to be rewritten in Arabic was:

“There is no god but Allah. Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

I actually do have a issue with requiring students to write something like that if that was the actual phrase they wanted rewritten in Arabic.

2. Religious studies in Public schools should not be taught because of the simple fact most of the Teachers are not educated enough to be teaching a course on the many different religions throughout the world and history of the world.

----------

Now with those two things written I did not touch on the part that Students were offered to wear a Hijab or Head Scarf, and the teacher and school district should get the parent consent before even trying that.

This is different times from the days when I went to school, and I understand some of you would like our younger generation to learn the differences of the religions but I believe that it really has no place in our public school system, but that is me on that.

The phrase that they claim the students were suppose to write in Arabic is not something like hello but instead was a religious phrase, and even though the school district did state it was not a pledge the fact remains it come off as one, and should have never been given as assignment in the first place.

So I can see and understand the parents anger, and the reason why the School district shut their schools down for today because of the anger and outcry.

Again this is my opinion and nothing more...

'A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.'

More ignorance, hate, and stupidity.

We can only hope such individuals constitute but a very small minority.
Tally me up.

Al shabab killed all those kenyans who couldn't recite this Pillar of Islamic indoctrination, idiot. Nevermind they're having kids write people's religious texts on scratch paper for fun. To think with all of you clowns who are so conscious of what ISIS wants, "Infidels crumple prophet's name" seems to have passed your PC check.

I will not be sending my kids to these garbage public schools.

So copying something down in a foreign language mears you are "confessing" it i.ie. you believe it?

I don't like the assignment because they didn't give them calligraphy pens to write with.
So it wasn't even calligraphy? They were just getting them to copy the shahada and pretending calligraphy was involved?

I don't like the assignment because they didn't give them calligraphy pens to write with. Dumb assignment. Not indoctrination.

As I said, there is lots of arabic poetry which is fine. THAT phrase is not fine. They were given this to copy down knowing what they were copying down.

As I said, there is lots of arabic poetry which is fine. THAT phrase is not fine. They were given this to copy down knowing what they were copying down.
They've promised to change the assignment. That said, it would make some sense to have them copy possibly the most important piece of Arabic calligraphy which happens to be a religious statement.

And yet despite the promise to change the assignment, the ignorant rednecks still call in threats to the school.

Did anybody know it was an Islamic Statement of Faith or was it picked because it was available and a beautiful example of the art.

If people would study cultures and religions more, say Islam, properly, they would see that image as the Islamic statement of faith, the shahada. Ignorance is no excuse. Ignorance of any religion is no excuse. Even if you aren't religious, knowing the beliefs and practices of the major religions would help you alleviate such ignorance.

Are you saying that to be considered "well educated" we should recognize on sight this "shahada"? And how many other grand documents of the "important major religions" are there that we should recognize on sight? Are there a few in Christianity? Islam? Buddhism? Jainism, Sikhism, Lamaism? Eastern Orthodox? Roman Catholicism? Give us a hint how much work unburdening ourselves from our ignorance is going to be.

They've promised to change the assignment. That said, it would make some sense to have them copy possibly the most important piece of Arabic calligraphy which happens to be a religious statement.

And yet despite the promise to change the assignment, the ignorant rednecks still call in threats to the school.
How very generous of them. The fact that it was an assignment in the first place is a disgrace.

How very generous of them. The fact that it was an assignment in the first place is a disgrace.
Deserving of dumb ass rednecks threatening violence?

Did anybody know it was an Islamic Statement of Faith or was it picked because it was available and a beautiful example of the art.

If people would study cultures and religions more, say Islam, properly, they would see that image as the Islamic statement of faith, the shahada. Ignorance is no excuse. Ignorance of any religion is no excuse. Even if you aren't religious, knowing the beliefs and practices of the major religions would help you alleviate such ignorance.

Are you saying that to be considered "well educated" we should recognize on sight this "shahada"? And how many other grand documents of the "important major religions" are there that we should recognize on sight? Are there a few in Christianity? Islam? Buddhism? Jainism, Sikhism, Lamaism? Eastern Orthodox? Roman Catholicism? Give us a hint how much work unburdening ourselves from our ignorance is going to be.
Teachers planning an assignment should know what the hell they are doing.

what was it changed to? I hadn't heard of it.

I would prefer them to copy something in Japanese or Korean
Arabic calligraphy as part of the World Geography course, Middle Eastern section. No Koreans or Japanese there. Read the link.

If it was a madrasah it would have been bombed already.

'A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.'

More ignorance, hate, and stupidity.

We can only hope such individuals constitute but a very small minority.
If the purpose of this effort is education and development of creative impulse it is senseless and self-defeating to oppose it. Arab calligraphy is extremely graceful and artistic. If I were still in school there are many subjects much less worthy of spending my time on.

If it was a madrasah it would have been bombed already.
You mean you rednecks are that violent?

Arabic calligraphy as part of the World Geography course, Middle Eastern section. No Koreans or Japanese there. Read the link.
So do they copy things out from the Korean when they do the far east? Do they do Cyrillic when they study Russia? Attic Greek when they study Greece?

Teachers planning an assignment should know what the hell they are doing.

I said a few posts ago - #70 - "as somebody else mentioned, with the hyper-sensitivity to the least hint of Islam these days the teacher or someone should have checked its provenance. But you can hardly "indoctrinate" someone with text that nobody can interpret."

I'm sure the teachers have learnt that lesson the hard way.

So do they copy things out from the Korean when they do the far east? Do they do Cyrillic when they study Russia? Attic Greek when they study Greece?
I have no fucking clue. Nor do I care.

But the rednecks are flamed up into a violent passion if anybody dares try to build understanding of Islam other than "Muslims are jihad scumbags who worship a child molester and want to kill every non Muslim in the world".

Forum List

Back