Scott Walker On Evolution: 'I Am Going To Punt On That One'

I must admit that I don't believe in Evolution. It's a fantastic theory of course and is a very powerful way of understanding natural processes but when one asks most people about Evolution they usually talk about humans being apes. Shows a lack of understanding of both Evolution as a theory and the nature of Science in general. May as well ask "Do you believe in Newtonian Physics.

Greg
See now I know that I would not vote for you if you ever ran for President. So it's a great question to ask!

I, sir/ma'am, would bar you from any scientific organisation ever assembled!!!

th

Read up on Karl Popper!!

Actually there is little doubt, but not "no doubt". All the current evidence seems incontrovertible. It's hard not to be totally certain. But a truly skeptical mind will always have reason to doubt because belief is just a step away from dogma.

99.999% is not 1 but it certainly is close enough to close the books on the issue. Humans are anthropoid apes. End of story.

Except we don't know what we don't know. And how do we know that we weren't created this instant with all our memories implanted? Yeah, it seems ridiculous, and it very probably is. But it is possible, is it not?

Doubt is what keeps us as a species always striving for knowledge. Well, that and curiosity.

Dude, we can doubt everything all the time, but that gets us nowhere at all. Yes, I can say that there is a 0.0001% probability that we are not anthropoid apes. But I can also say with 99.9999% certainty that we are. Sorry, my money is on the latter. And by accepting the latter, I can get on with the business of discovering more amazing facts about our biological history, particularly with regard to genetics and how we fit within the larger animal kingdom. For instance, we have features that evolved over 350 million years ago in fish (our tetrapod ancestry originated in a fish/fish-like animal). Our backbones evolved much further back than this. So we are included in the phylum Chordata. We even have microscopic structures that first evolved in sponges. All life on this planet is interrelated via our genetic legacies. And the fact remains that of all the life forms on the planet, we are most closely related to the anthropoid apes, and so are ourselves classified as such.

I agree with everything you just posted except that doubt somehow would prevent one from making amazing discoveries. In fact, doubt leads to amazing discoveries. What if no one doubted Newtonian physics or the Bible? In fact, look at those who do not doubt the Bible?

I'd bet on science any day of the week. But at some point, a new discovery is made, there is a paradigm shift, and what we thought we knew was't exactly accurate.

And after 150 years of discovery, what do you think are the chances that we are going to discover that humans are something other than anthropoid apes?

I'd say pretty small. Except of course we are not "apes".

Greg

99.999% is not 1 but it certainly is close enough to close the books on the issue. Humans are anthropoid apes. End of story.

Except we don't know what we don't know. And how do we know that we weren't created this instant with all our memories implanted? Yeah, it seems ridiculous, and it very probably is. But it is possible, is it not?

Doubt is what keeps us as a species always striving for knowledge. Well, that and curiosity.

Dude, we can doubt everything all the time, but that gets us nowhere at all. Yes, I can say that there is a 0.0001% probability that we are not anthropoid apes. But I can also say with 99.9999% certainty that we are. Sorry, my money is on the latter. And by accepting the latter, I can get on with the business of discovering more amazing facts about our biological history, particularly with regard to genetics and how we fit within the larger animal kingdom. For instance, we have features that evolved over 350 million years ago in fish (our tetrapod ancestry originated in a fish/fish-like animal). Our backbones evolved much further back than this. So we are included in the phylum Chordata. We even have microscopic structures that first evolved in sponges. All life on this planet is interrelated via our genetic legacies. And the fact remains that of all the life forms on the planet, we are most closely related to the anthropoid apes, and so are ourselves classified as such.

I agree with everything you just posted except that doubt somehow would prevent one from making amazing discoveries. In fact, doubt leads to amazing discoveries. What if no one doubted Newtonian physics or the Bible? In fact, look at those who do not doubt the Bible?

I'd bet on science any day of the week. But at some point, a new discovery is made, there is a paradigm shift, and what we thought we knew was't exactly accurate.

And after 150 years of discovery, what do you think are the chances that we are going to discover that humans are something other than anthropoid apes?

Greg
While I think the theory of evolution is the best one we've got, I think Walker played this smart.

I dont think you should have to answer that, at all, to become Pres

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

Really? Can you "prove" science??

Greg
We can prove that the Earth orbits the sun, the speed at which objects will accelerate, the orbits of distant objects... We can't, however, prove that a magical fairy that us measly humans can't possibly comprehend made it that way. But sure, I suppose it's possible if you decide that evidence and logic don't matter at all.

LONDON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Wednesday dodged a question about whether he believes in evolution.

Speaking at the Chatham House foreign policy think tank London, Walker was asked: "Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?"

"For me, I am going to punt on that one as well," he said. "That's a question politicians shouldn't be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I'm here to talk about trade not to pontificate about evolution."

More: Scott Walker Dodges Question On Whether He Believes In Evolution

Punt? Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question. It sounds like you've already signaled that you don't believe in evolution. What about global warming?
Oh yes, that's what we need: a president who doesn't believe in evolution. :rolleyes:

LONDON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Wednesday dodged a question about whether he believes in evolution.

Speaking at the Chatham House foreign policy think tank London, Walker was asked: "Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?"

"For me, I am going to punt on that one as well," he said. "That's a question politicians shouldn't be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I'm here to talk about trade not to pontificate about evolution."

Punt? Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question. It sounds like you've already signaled that you don't believe in evolution. What about global warming?
Oh yes, that's what we need: a president who doesn't believe in evolution. :rolleyes:
Then again, he didn't say that either.

Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question.

No he doesn't. He's absolutely correct, it's not a question that should be seeping into politics.
Why not? Don't you want to know if your President rejects science and reason?
Yea. These people are just desperate because Walker is the best the GOP has to offer, and it's obvious at this point that he will be a loser. Some folks in the US are not thinking clearly, but the majority do not want a man leading the country who rejects education, science and reasoning.

The far left already proves they do not believe in evolution, so why would matter to a far left drones?

Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question.

No he doesn't. He's absolutely correct, it's not a question that should be seeping into politics.
Why not? Don't you want to know if your President rejects science and reason?
Yea. These people are just desperate because Walker is the best the GOP has to offer, and it's obvious at this point that he will be a loser. Some folks in the US are not thinking clearly, but the majority do not want a man leading the country who rejects education, science and reasoning.

See how the far left is sore over having their religion rejected..

Oh, please. He avoids answering the question because he doesn't believe in it. It's too obvious. It's a simple question, either yes or no.

Greg
While I think the theory of evolution is the best one we've got, I think Walker played this smart.
Ha! No he didn't. He played it really dumb.

Greg
Ha! No he didn't. He played it really dumb.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Oh, please. He avoids answering the question because he doesn't believe in it. It's too obvious. It's a simple question, either yes or no.

And the far left continues to prove that they do not believe in evolution.

I do. If you don't grasp that humans evolved and that evolution is proven science....you don't get to be president.

Greg
We can prove that the Earth orbits the sun, the speed at which objects will accelerate, the orbits of distant objects... We can't, however, prove that a magical fairy that us measly humans can't possibly comprehend made it that way. But sure, I suppose it's possible if you decide that evidence and logic don't matter at all.

Relative to what??

Greg

Greg

Relative to what??

Greg
Fortunately, most people in America have more sense than you do and do not want a Christian fundamentalist as President.

Really?? Simple? Explain to me Evolution...without referencing please. Your own words would be fine.

Greg

Greg

Relative to what??

Greg
What would you like?. Relative to Earth's gravity? Relative to distance from the sun? Relative to our location in the galaxy? Relative to our location in the local cluster of galaxies? Scientists have figured that all out. So just let me know.

Forum List

Back