Scott Walker On Evolution: 'I Am Going To Punt On That One'

How is he wrong? Only a law can be proven without "doubt".

The same way you're wrong. Because you're a damned fool who doesn't know what he's talking about. Scientific laws are not proven, they are observed.

Oh, and by putting "doubt" in quotation marks, you contradict yourself anyway.

Actually, the scientific laws, or physical laws or the laws of nature, are theoretical.

Laws of Nature Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Physical law - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So laws are just theories. They just have a fancy name. That about right?

You really should just stop. You are biting off way more than you can chew. Stay on the shallow side and keep your floaties on.

I'm sorry. Did I miss the links you posted detracting the claims I made? I included the links supporting the proposition, but I don't see yousr anywhere...

Hmmm. Now why is that?

You're contradicting yourself. Tell you what kid, come back when you're 15 and we can talk about it then.

So nothing of relevance to post, then? Just some vague accusation that I'm contradicting myself but with nothing specific to point out.

Go to church and pray to your God for the certainty you so badly desire so can go to beddy-bye feeling comforted that the scary Universe won't get you.

And if you aren't religious, then stop acting like it.

He probably doesn't have a belief about origins because no one knows with any certainty and there is no good reason to substitute belief for knowledge.

One shouldn't believe in scientific theories because they aren't faith-based and, in the physical sciences, never be proved to be Truth.

Do you know what a "scientific theory" is? It's more than just a "theory"...

No, scientific theories are the current best explanations of the currently available information and subject to revision or rejection upon new information.

The only things that are more than theories are facts.
Do you think there are no facts in science?

Well, I think that the only thing I know is: Cogito ergo sum. Anything else is up for debate.

But, there seems to be a common reality, and in that context, yes science uses facts as the foundation of its theories and predictions.

Science has had better results and greater success than any other discipline in the history of humankind - as far as we know as a species.
As far as we know?

You are trying to hard by half to be clever. It's making you look foolish.

Coming from you deany, that's a compliment.

Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question.

No he doesn't. He's absolutely correct, it's not a question that should be seeping into politics.

I agree it's a question that should not be in politics. Unfortunately, bible thumping teabaggers forced it front and center. Right there next to man made global climate change.

Amen! Let me quote you once again:

"I agree it's a question that should not be in politics. Unfortunately, bible thumping teabaggers forced it front and center. Right there next to man made global climate change."

Last edited:
I'm not arguing solipsism, I'm arguing epistemology.

Care to include any supporting information with your claims or are you just going to keep insulting me because you can't back your arguments up?

You're arguing nihilism, which invariably converts to solipsism when you look in the mirror. Not to mention the fact that is entirely a red herring. Look, I get it....you got a shiny new toy in class today. You want to take it out for a spin. You want to show off a little bit. But kid, you're pissing on grease fire when what you really need is baking soda. Now stand back and go back to class before you hurt yourself.

Still no supporting documentation?

Good enough for your high school, but not for adult discourse.

LONDON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Wednesday dodged a question about whether he believes in evolution.

Speaking at the Chatham House foreign policy think tank London, Walker was asked: "Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?"

"For me, I am going to punt on that one as well," he said. "That's a question politicians shouldn't be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I'm here to talk about trade not to pontificate about evolution."

More: Scott Walker Dodges Question On Whether He Believes In Evolution

Punt? Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question. It sounds like you've already signaled that you don't believe in evolution. What about global warming?

That's the right answer. Losers like you think it matters when it doesn't.

LONDON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Wednesday dodged a question about whether he believes in evolution.

Speaking at the Chatham House foreign policy think tank London, Walker was asked: "Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?"

"For me, I am going to punt on that one as well," he said. "That's a question politicians shouldn't be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I'm here to talk about trade not to pontificate about evolution."

Punt? Well, Scotty, if you have any serious hope of becoming president - you'll have to answer that question. It sounds like you've already signaled that you don't believe in evolution. What about global warming?

Well, that means a lot coming from a retard like you. Thanks for playing...

The same way you're wrong. Because you're a damned fool who doesn't know what he's talking about. Scientific laws are not proven, they are observed.

Actually, the scientific laws, or physical laws or the laws of nature, are theoretical.

You really should just stop. You are biting off way more than you can chew. Stay on the shallow side and keep your floaties on.

I'm sorry. Did I miss the links you posted detracting the claims I made? I included the links supporting the proposition, but I don't see yousr anywhere...

Hmmm. Now why is that?

You're contradicting yourself. Tell you what kid, come back when you're 15 and we can talk about it then.

So nothing of relevance to post, then? Just some vague accusation that I'm contradicting myself but with nothing specific to point out.

Go to church and pray to your God for the certainty you so badly desire so can go to beddy-bye feeling comforted that the scary Universe won't get you.

The whole thing is wrong. Most especially that capital T bullshit.

In what ways, if I may ask?

In the way which you are a damned fool.

Since you won't answer the question without resorting to insults, it seems that you must not have one.

Listen, fool, you're the one babbling about truth little t/truth capital T, and making up things about how science works. Your claims, your burden to prove.

Oh wait, you can't support anything you said because you're making it up as you go along and creating a hodgepodge slightly less coherent than a rambling schizophrenic on an acid trip. Don't blame me because you're a damned fool.

Start here:
Truth and Theory - How to Construct Theories Reflecting Reality
If scientific theories keep changing where is the Truth
http://www3.nd.edu/~achakra1/downloads/glanzberg_handbook.pdf
Journal Home

I can't name a theory of the physical sciences that has been proved to be true. Can you?

Germ Theory?
Evolution?
General Relativity?
The Big Bang?
Quantum Theory?
The theory of Gravity?

Any I may be missing?

Mathematical proofs can be proved true, and so can logical ones. But not the physical sciences.
Yea, evaporation.

My question from post 158:

If you owned a business and someone applied for a job and during the application process, they said evolution is a lie, climate change a conspiracy, science is a faith and education is for snobs and they dropped out of school, would you hire them? For what?

From these posts, it seems if you are right leaning, the answer would be either CEO or political leadership position. But if you are left leaning, the answer would be "start by emptying that".

Go ahead and tell me what evolution has any bearing upon? You just want an excuse to hate him on a trivial subject.

Human beings are, in fact, classified as anthropoid apes. Of this there is no ambiguity, no doubt. That you question this shows your lack of understanding of the facts.

Actually there is little doubt, but not "no doubt". All the current evidence seems incontrovertible. It's hard not to be totally certain. But a truly skeptical mind will always have reason to doubt because belief is just a step away from dogma.

99.999% is not 1 but it certainly is close enough to close the books on the issue. Humans are anthropoid apes. End of story.

Except we don't know what we don't know. And how do we know that we weren't created this instant with all our memories implanted? Yeah, it seems ridiculous, and it very probably is. But it is possible, is it not?

Doubt is what keeps us as a species always striving for knowledge. Well, that and curiosity.

Dude, we can doubt everything all the time, but that gets us nowhere at all. Yes, I can say that there is a 0.0001% probability that we are not anthropoid apes. But I can also say with 99.9999% certainty that we are. Sorry, my money is on the latter. And by accepting the latter, I can get on with the business of discovering more amazing facts about our biological history, particularly with regard to genetics and how we fit within the larger animal kingdom. For instance, we have features that evolved over 350 million years ago in fish (our tetrapod ancestry originated in a fish/fish-like animal). Our backbones evolved much further back than this. So we are included in the phylum Chordata. We even have microscopic structures that first evolved in sponges. All life on this planet is interrelated via our genetic legacies. And the fact remains that of all the life forms on the planet, we are most closely related to the anthropoid apes, and so are ourselves classified as such.

I agree with everything you just posted except that doubt somehow would prevent one from making amazing discoveries. In fact, doubt leads to amazing discoveries. What if no one doubted Newtonian physics or the Bible? In fact, look at those who do not doubt the Bible?

I'd bet on science any day of the week. But at some point, a new discovery is made, there is a paradigm shift, and what we thought we knew was't exactly accurate.

And after 150 years of discovery, what do you think are the chances that we are going to discover that humans are something other than anthropoid apes?

Go ahead and tell me what evolution has any bearing upon? You just want an excuse to hate him on a trivial subject.
Politicians on the Right must play dumb to attract their base. In Walker's case, he might be that dumb.

My question from post 158:

If you owned a business and someone applied for a job and during the application process, they said evolution is a lie, climate change a conspiracy, science is a faith and education is for snobs and they dropped out of school, would you hire them? For what?

From these posts, it seems if you are right leaning, the answer would be either CEO or political leadership position. But if you are left leaning, the answer would be "start by emptying that".

If the job entailed scientific work or making policy decisions regarding science, you bet your sweet ass I would not hire him

Politicians on the Right must play dumb to attract their base. In Walker's case, he might be that dumb.

Is this supposed to cut me? I could give a fuck about Walker. I just think lefties are lame for making issues out of nothing. Whether a politician believes in evolution doesn't even crack the top 1,000 for me because I'm not a tool like you or lakunta.

Is this supposed to cut me? I could give a fuck about Walker. I just think lefties are lame for making issues out of nothing. Whether a politician believes in evolution doesn't even crack the top 1,000 for me because I'm not a tool like you or lakunta.

Anyone who lacks even a very basic understanding of science has no business deciding national science policy. Period.

If you owned a business and someone applied for a job and during the application process, they said evolution is a lie, climate change a conspiracy, science is a faith and education is for snobs and they dropped out of school, would you hire them?

Of course not. Such a little tirade would be entirely inappropriate in the middle of a job interview. It would show a lack of professionalism and an inability to maintain proper decorum.

Actually there is little doubt, but not "no doubt". All the current evidence seems incontrovertible. It's hard not to be totally certain. But a truly skeptical mind will always have reason to doubt because belief is just a step away from dogma.

99.999% is not 1 but it certainly is close enough to close the books on the issue. Humans are anthropoid apes. End of story.

Except we don't know what we don't know. And how do we know that we weren't created this instant with all our memories implanted? Yeah, it seems ridiculous, and it very probably is. But it is possible, is it not?

Doubt is what keeps us as a species always striving for knowledge. Well, that and curiosity.

Dude, we can doubt everything all the time, but that gets us nowhere at all. Yes, I can say that there is a 0.0001% probability that we are not anthropoid apes. But I can also say with 99.9999% certainty that we are. Sorry, my money is on the latter. And by accepting the latter, I can get on with the business of discovering more amazing facts about our biological history, particularly with regard to genetics and how we fit within the larger animal kingdom. For instance, we have features that evolved over 350 million years ago in fish (our tetrapod ancestry originated in a fish/fish-like animal). Our backbones evolved much further back than this. So we are included in the phylum Chordata. We even have microscopic structures that first evolved in sponges. All life on this planet is interrelated via our genetic legacies. And the fact remains that of all the life forms on the planet, we are most closely related to the anthropoid apes, and so are ourselves classified as such.

I agree with everything you just posted except that doubt somehow would prevent one from making amazing discoveries. In fact, doubt leads to amazing discoveries. What if no one doubted Newtonian physics or the Bible? In fact, look at those who do not doubt the Bible?

I'd bet on science any day of the week. But at some point, a new discovery is made, there is a paradigm shift, and what we thought we knew was't exactly accurate.

And after 150 years of discovery, what do you think are the chances that we are going to discover that humans are something other than anthropoid apes?

Very little.

Nonetheless, belief is not required.

In what ways, if I may ask?

In the way which you are a damned fool.

Since you won't answer the question without resorting to insults, it seems that you must not have one.

Listen, fool, you're the one babbling about truth little t/truth capital T, and making up things about how science works. Your claims, your burden to prove.

Oh wait, you can't support anything you said because you're making it up as you go along and creating a hodgepodge slightly less coherent than a rambling schizophrenic on an acid trip. Don't blame me because you're a damned fool.

Start here:
Truth and Theory - How to Construct Theories Reflecting Reality
If scientific theories keep changing where is the Truth
http://www3.nd.edu/~achakra1/downloads/glanzberg_handbook.pdf
Journal Home

I can't name a theory of the physical sciences that has been proved to be true. Can you?

Germ Theory?
Evolution?
General Relativity?
The Big Bang?
Quantum Theory?
The theory of Gravity?

Any I may be missing?

Mathematical proofs can be proved true, and so can logical ones. But not the physical sciences.
Yea, evaporation.

Is that a theory or an observable fact?

Hmmm. Now why is that?

Is that your link refuting the proposition?

At least you're consistent.

How is he wrong? Only a law can be proven without "doubt".

Actually, scientific laws are laws. You have a hypothesis. If it can be verified with enough supporting data, it becomes a theory. If everyone agrees that the theory holds true (within a very tiny standard of deviation) with every experiment conducted over a significant amount of time, it becomes a scientific law. Hence we have the laws of thermodynamics, laws of motion, the ideal gas law, etc.

I included the links above. They show that what you posted isn't entirely accurate.

Scientific laws are not True. They are still theoretical.

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/9034/1/truthlaws.pdf

Scientific Laws - What Are Scientific Laws

Why Are Scientific Laws Considered Absolute Truths - Quora

They hold true within a very tiny margin of error. And I'm sorry, but that is as good as it ever gets.

Yep. Nothing to feel sorry about.

Forum List

Back