SCOTUS Refuses To Hear Appeal - Gays Win Again!

If I was the photographer, I would "develop" a bad case of "passive aggressive behavior".
The pictures would come out so bad that no gay couple would ever want to use his services.
"Oooops, sorry, don't know how that happened." :eusa_whistle:

then word of mouth spreads and you lose business. GENIUS!

Word of mouth gets around and he could very well gain business......GENIUS!

thats free market for you.

Missed it the first time.

Have you spent any time reflecting? If not......what is the point?

So you've got nothing? Really?

Look, I have no problem with a gay person or a gay couple calling themselves married. I'd happily take the gig at the gay wedding.

However, I don't think government should force a private business to do so.

One reason is that opens the door to other protected classes demanding services...several examples of which have been given.

So...again I ask, care to explain why this is "off base"?

The KKK is not a "protected class".

But race is...as is color. The KKK is a race-based advocacy group. The Black owned caterer therefore cannot refuse to provide his service to the KKK meeting because he has a problem with white race advocacy groups. Same goes for the Black seamstress refusing to hem the white robe.

Religion is too. Therefore, the Christian can sick the government on the Jewish baker for refusing to make a Jesus-on-the-cross cake. The Muslim baker cannot refuse on religious grounds to bake the cake with a picture of Mohammed on it.

Age is also. So, if the Senior Center prefers not to offer their rec room to teenagers, they're out of luck. If a 60 year old man wants to join the Boys Scouts, what's to stop him now?

Not so hard to come up with all kinds of examples that demonstrate the slippery slope that is this kind of meddling in private business.

If I was the photographer, I would "develop" a bad case of "passive aggressive behavior".
The pictures would come out so bad that no gay couple would ever want to use his services.
"Oooops, sorry, don't know how that happened." :eusa_whistle:

I wouldn't count business from people too stupid to understand that substandard work is a bad thing. If the clown is doing bad work no one will want to use him. What makes you think anyone would want to have bad work done on purpose?

I wouldn't count business from people too stupid to understand that substandard work is a bad thing. If the clown is doing bad work no one will want to use him. What makes you think anyone would want to have bad work done on purpose?

I think it went right over your head. Key in on the words, "Word of mouth......"

So you've got nothing? Really?

Look, I have no problem with a gay person or a gay couple calling themselves married. I'd happily take the gig at the gay wedding.

However, I don't think government should force a private business to do so.

One reason is that opens the door to other protected classes demanding services...several examples of which have been given.

So...again I ask, care to explain why this is "off base"?

But race is...as is color. The KKK is a race-based advocacy group. The Black owned caterer therefore cannot refuse to provide his service to the KKK meeting because he has a problem with white race advocacy groups. Same goes for the Black seamstress refusing to hem the white robe.

Religion is too. Therefore, the Christian can sick the government on the Jewish baker for refusing to make a Jesus-on-the-cross cake. The Muslim baker cannot refuse on religious grounds to bake the cake with a picture of Mohammed on it.

Age is also. So, if the Senior Center prefers not to offer their rec room to teenagers, they're out of luck. If a 60 year old man wants to join the Boys Scouts, what's to stop him now?

Not so hard to come up with all kinds of examples that demonstrate the slippery slope that is this kind of meddling in private business.

Asshole.

The black caterer cannot refuse to serve a white meeting because the members are white. Shit.....you CANNOT be this dense.

Why do nutters play stupid every fucking day.

Take a day off, for fuck's sake.

You guys and the slippery slope. At some point your surveyor skills should kick in and make you realize that you are the only people sliding backwards.

Nicely stated.

Maybe you could have said "survivor" skills.

Asshole.

Thanks for reminding us that you argue with the mentality of a ten year old on schoolyard playground. Very impressive...:doubt:

The black caterer cannot refuse to serve a white meeting because the members are white. Shit.....you CANNOT be this dense.

Correct...including a a White meeting of KKK members.

Thanks for making my point.

Juvenile and vile...that's no way to go through life...:lol:

Noticed you couldn't provide a snappy comeback on the other examples I listed. Hmm...

Careful what you wish for...

If this Christian photographer must work a gay wedding, so must a Black-owned caterer provide their services to a KKK meeting.

Nope, the KKK isn't a race, ethnicty, age, gender, national origin, or sexual orientation. This dumb question was addressed by the New Mexico Supreme Court:

"Elane Photography also suggests that enforcing the NMHRA against it would mean that an African-American photographer could not legally refuse to photograph a Ku Klux Klan rally. This hypothetical suffers from the reality that political views and political group membership, including membership in the Klan, are not protected categories under the NMHRA. See § 28-1-7(F) (prohibiting public accommodation discrimination based on “race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap”). Therefore, an African-American could decline to photograph a Ku Klux Klan rally."​

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/ElanePhotoNMSCopinion.pdf

>>>>

In a victory for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Monday turned down an appeal from a New Mexico photographer who claimed a free-speech right to refuse to shoot a wedding album for a same-sex couple.

Of course it did.

For decades it’s been accepted and settled First Amendment jurisprudence that laws whose primary focus and effect was not to disadvantage religious expression did not violate the Free Exercise Clause.

The primary focus and effect of the New Mexico statute is clearly to address discrimination in public accommodations, not hinder religious practice – and it is consequently Constitutional.

I think it went right over your head. Key in on the words, "Word of mouth......"

Your first mistake was trying to think without a cane. Word of mouth saying you do bad work is bad advertising. Only a retard doesn't get that.

Asshole.

I dont think they are playing stupid. Its a mindset they cant shake.

Asshole.

Thanks for reminding us that you argue with the mentality of a ten year old on schoolyard playground. Very impressive...:doubt:

Noticed you couldn't provide a snappy comeback on the other examples I listed. Hmm...

Sorry. You don't think you deserve to be called an asshole. My apologies.

Why do nutters ALWAYS suggest that other people are "making their points" for them. Have you no ability to make your own?

The black caterer CAN refuse to serve a KKK meeting. Not BECAUSE they are white. But because they are assholes. That is fine.

Admit your mistake. Be a man. And.......please......try harder.

Last edited:

You guys and the slippery slope. At some point your surveyor skills should kick in and make you realize that you are the only people sliding backwards.

Respectfully disagree. Government dictating how markets will work is an example of the kind of central planning that is the epitome of "sliding backwards". Such meddlers have been been with societies for ages. Personal freedom and voluntary choice? THAT'S forward looking.

At some point your surveyor skills should kick in and make you realize that you are the only people sliding backwards as your personal freedoms are being eroded.

You left out a few words. :eusa_whistle:

Sorry. You don't think you deserve to be called an asshole. My apologies.

Why do nutters ALWAYS suggest that other people are "making their points" for them. Have you no ability to make your own?

Admit your mistake. Be a man.

Ah yes, when you can't respond with logic, reason and specificity, call your opponent a childish name. Works every time...:doubt:

I made my points, with specific examples. You have yet to address them.

Feel free to try...or call me another name I haven't heard since the 6th grade. Your choice.

Simple cause and effect. Now, a neo Nazi can sue a Jewish baker for not making him a Nazi themed cake. A Klansman can sue a black seamstress for not making him his white robe and hat. A Christian can sue a Muslim because he refused to serve him pork chops, and vice versa. The possibilities are endless, LL.

See cite from New Mexico Supreme Court which is the standing rulign since the SCOTUS declined to review the case. In New Mexico...

Klansman: A klansman can sue (anyone can sue) but the case will be thrown out as klansman is a political leaning and not covered under Public Accommodation laws.

Jewish Baker: A neo Nazi can sue (anyone can sue) but the case will be thrown out as neo-Nazi is a political leaning and not covered under Public Accommodation laws.

Pork Chops: You didn't provide complete information on this one. If a Christian restauranteur has on the menu pork chops and refuses to sell to a Muslim because they are Muslim - yes the complaint would be valid. If a Muslim restauranteur has on the menu pork chops and refuses to sell to a Christian because they are Christian - yes the complaint would be valid. However if the restauranteur DOE NOT have pork chops on the menu, then they are not required to provide them to ANY customer.​

>>>>

The black caterer CAN refuse to serve a KKK meeting. Not BECAUSE they are white. But because they are assholes. That is fine.

But not because they're a White supremacists group. That they cannot claim. We're clear on that?

And the other examples I gave? Must the service providers also lie about the real reason they do not wish to provide their service? Is that the plan?

At some point your surveyor skills should kick in and make you realize that you are the only people sliding backwards as your personal freedoms are being eroded.

You left out a few words. :eusa_whistle:

What kind of people complain that their personal freedoms to discriminate against their fellow law-abiding tax-paying citizens are being eroded?

Respectfully disagree. Government dictating how markets will work is an example of the kind of central planning that is the epitome of "sliding backwards". Such meddlers have been been with societies for ages. Personal freedom and voluntary choice? THAT'S forward looking.

Respectfully disagree. Governments have always dictated markets in one way or another. Dont be fooled. There is no such thing as personal freedom not granted by government. There is voluntary choice. Do what the law says or not. However, there are consequences to your decisions.

Forum List

Back