Seattle Set To Change Name Of Columbus Day

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Dear god save us from these people ! Liberals are insane !

Seattle, the town where there are dog restaurants, and there are more dogs than kids. This is the best thing about white liberals, they have no kids.

"Seattle set to change name of Columbus Day holiday"

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Seattle, named after a Native American tribal chief, is poised to become the next major U.S city after Minneapolis to officially change the name of a federal holiday that celebrates Christopher Columbus' 15th century arrival in the Americas.

The Seattle City Council on Wednesday set an Oct. 6 vote to redesignate the second Monday of October as "Indigenous Peoples' Day." The measure has broad approval in the nine-member council and is expected to pass.

The name change would acknowledge that Native Americans were already living in the Americas before the Italian explorer's arrival, according to the Seattle Human Rights Commission.

"The celebration of Christopher Columbus and his alleged 1492 discovery of the lands that would later become known as the Americas works to celebrate an era of colonization and dispossession of indigenous peoples' homelands," it said.

Supporters, including Native American groups and Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, a Democrat, said the move will better represent the history of the United States and foundation of the city.

Those opposed to the change say the city was being too politically correct and argued that the day honors the history of Italian-Americans in the United States.

"For most Italian-Americans, Columbus Day is a symbol of pride in our heritage," Audrey Manzanares told local news station Q13.

Should the measure pass, Seattle would become the second major city after Minneapolis to officially change the state name of Columbus Day, which became a U.S. federal holiday in 1937.

Several states, including Alaska, Hawaii and Oregon, do not recognize the federal holiday. The California city of Berkeley stopped recognizing the day in 1992.

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Mohammad Zargham)

Seattle set to change name of Columbus Day holiday - Yahoo News

Any day now a lib city like Seattle or Frisco, will be changing the 4th of July to an official city recognized day of mourning.

So.. Columbus did not discover anything, there were already people living in the places he claimed for Spain..

So.. Columbus did not discover anything, there were already people living in the places he claimed for Spain..

Yes, but it's always been a day that we recognize when the technological world discovered this hemisphere.
It's not so much the accuracy, but just a general recognition.

Now of course I realize that today, it's a day that natives and white liberals curse, and it's been that way for quite some time. The rest of it however, see something like this as another attack on our traditions.

Italians are not a protected class, so its open season to piss them off.

What the fuck does Columbus Day have to do with "Italians"?

Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo; Spanish: Cristóbal Colón;Portuguese: Cristóvão Colombo; born between 31 October 1450 and 30 October 1451, died 20 May 1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, and colonizer, born in the Republic of Genoa (today part of Italy). Under the auspices of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, he completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Those voyages, and his efforts to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the Spanish colonization of theNew World.

History, learn it.

Yes, but it's always been a day that we recognize when the technological world discovered this hemisphere.

Now of course I realize that today, it's a day that natives and white liberals curse, and it's been that way for quite some time. The rest of it however, see something like this as another attack on our traditions.

Yeah, let's keep our heads in the sand and pretend Columbus didn't wipe out the Arawaks and cut off natives' hands when they failed to bring back gold. If a Muslim did that.....

Seems to me this is exactly the kind of thing these kids are nobly protesting the sweeping-under-the-rug of.

Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo; Spanish: Cristóbal Colón;Portuguese: Cristóvão Colombo; born between 31 October 1450 and 30 October 1451, died 20 May 1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, and colonizer, born in the Republic of Genoa (today part of Italy). Under the auspices of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, he completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Those voyages, and his efforts to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the Spanish colonization of theNew World.

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

You're actually suggesting that when somebody pops up in the history books it's an invitation to judge their entire ethnic group? As if Genovesishness is what drove his motives? Because once you get past whitewashed history that mightn't work out real well...

Yeah, let's keep our heads in the sand and pretend Columbus didn't wipe out the Arawaks and cut off natives' hands when they failed to bring back gold. If a Muslim did that.....

Actually the other indigenous tribes were just as frisky with each other when it came to cutting things off due to various reasons.

I thought it retarded to have a national holiday after a slave killing greedy bitch..

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride. Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

Any day now a lib city like Seattle or Frisco, will be changing the 4th of July to an official city recognized day of mourning.

No, the logical next step would be to dump the names of Amherst Massachusetts and its college. Way overdue.

History, learn it.

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride.

-- so whose fault is that? Even Columbus didn't pretend to be working for Italy (which didn't exist at the time anyway). The place of one's birth is beyond one's control.

Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

Agreed. And Spanish, which is who he worked for. :thup:

Forum List

Back