Secular families are ethical families

Well, well. It looks like religion really isn't necessary to raise ethical children. According to an article for the LA Times, Vern L Bengtson, a professor at USC who has been doing a generational longitudinal study of families, has added secular families to his studies in recent years, when he discovered that non-religious demographics were growing. His findings are quite enlightening:

Many non-religious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious’ parents in our study. The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterised by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose.

...non-religious family life is replete with its own sustaining moral values and enriching ethical precepts. Chief among those: rational problem solving, personal autonomy, independence of thought, avoidance of corporal punishment, a spirit of ‘questioning everything’ and, far above all, empathy.

For secular people, morality is predicated on one simple principle: empathetic reciprocity, widely known as the Golden Rule. Treating other people as you would like to be treated. It is an ancient, universal ethical imperative. And it requires no supernatural beliefs.

The results of such secular child-rearing are encouraging. Studies have found that secular teenagers are far less likely to care what the ‘cool kids’ think, or express a need to fit in with them, than their religious peers. When these teens mature into ‘godless’ adults, they exhibit less racism than their religious counterparts, according to a 2010 Duke University study. Many psychological studies show that secular grownups tend to be less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.

So, it seems that we finally have actual data to dispel the myth that religion is necessary in order to instill ethical moral decision-making skills.

Suure, because they have a set moral standard to adhere to, right? /sarcasm

cow_pie.jpg

I posted this awhile ago.
80% of the inmates in Angola prison are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole. Angola prison had been averaging 40 murders a year when the new warden stepped in. His first actions were to have everyone treated as if they were created in the image of God. All people should be treated with that dignity. No swearing by prisoners or guards was allowed. People who died in prison would get wooden coffins, not the cardboard that had been used.

The next step was to create Christian seminaries in the prison to teach people how God has reached out to them so that He may always be with them. Through private funding a Christian college and several chapels were built. Inmates are free to attend as they wish.

Today there are a number of prisoners who are now ordained Pastors. Most inmates now attend the college or services. Even Muslims attend. And Angola has gone from 40 murders a year to not one since 1996.

The Power of Christ Jesus
Red%20Herring_zpse7ecewox.jpg
Of course it troubles you to see how Christ turns bad people into good people.
It doesn't trouble me at all. No where I'm my OP, nor in the link, nor in the study did I, nor did the Professor, suggest that religion does not promote morality, or ethics; only that theistic religion is not necessary to develop ethics, nor morality.
Strawman.
No one ever claimed there are no athiests who have above average morality.
Actually, Theists claim it all the time. The general accusation is that atheists are, by nature, hedonists, incapable of considering any moral, or ethical decision beyond the i9mmediate moment. The whole reason I posted the OP is that it is gratifying to finally have demonstrable data indicating that this is simply not so.

A Moral compass and ethics are two different things.
What's their moral compass and what is their set of ethics regarding the various issues in their lives?
Actually the "moral compass' was explained - empathy. That is the moral compass of non-religious morality. "Would I want this done to me?" Nothing more complicated than that. And no supernatural entity necessary.

And while we're at it, what is the moral compass of the theist? I mean, really? If it is not fear of punishment, or promise of reward, answer this: let us say that you have done all that you were expected, and you are on your way to Heaven. Now, just before you pass through the "Pearly Gates", you have the opportunity to give your "Gate Pass" to someone who just didn't quite make the cut. Do you do so, since, after all, getting to heaven wasn't really the reason for living a moral life, anyway? Who, among the theists, could honestly say "yes"?
Empathy...Abraham had that and God had to set him straight.
Abraham empathy was for the Sodomites who were selfish beyond the pale.

My moral compass is the Torah, not empathy.
Well, considering the God of the Torah also ordered Saul to commit genocide, you'll forgive me if I trust my moral compass more than yours. Now, I'm sure you are going to respond with some brilli9ant justification for what God demanded of Saul, but it still doesn't alter the fact that it was genocide.

Oh! I get it...God commanded the Jews to eliminate the nation of Amalek.
I guess you didn't look up what Amalek did.
I didn't think so.
Actually, no one, including the Jews, know what Amalek did. The first time they're mentioned is in Deut 25:17, and even then, all it says is, "Forget not what the Amalekites did to the Israelites". So, all we have is the God of the Torah insisting that Israelites despise Amalekites with their very being, and then commanding genocide, but you think the Torah is a brilliant moral compass. Like I said, I think I'll follow my epathy.

Wow! You just got that so wrong even I'm shocked!
Then again, maybe not.
Check out Exodus but I won't link it for you.
I'll let you do some non-Athiest Googling of your own.

You're very into research when it comes to Atheism but your ad hoc Scripture sucks.

What's their moral compass and what is their set of ethics regarding the various issues in their lives?
Actually the "moral compass' was explained - empathy. That is the moral compass of non-religious morality. "Would I want this done to me?" Nothing more complicated than that. And no supernatural entity necessary.

And while we're at it, what is the moral compass of the theist? I mean, really? If it is not fear of punishment, or promise of reward, answer this: let us say that you have done all that you were expected, and you are on your way to Heaven. Now, just before you pass through the "Pearly Gates", you have the opportunity to give your "Gate Pass" to someone who just didn't quite make the cut. Do you do so, since, after all, getting to heaven wasn't really the reason for living a moral life, anyway? Who, among the theists, could honestly say "yes"?

Well, considering the God of the Torah also ordered Saul to commit genocide, you'll forgive me if I trust my moral compass more than yours. Now, I'm sure you are going to respond with some brilli9ant justification for what God demanded of Saul, but it still doesn't alter the fact that it was genocide.

I didn't think so.
They see no problem sacrificing babies by putting them on red hot iron.
And where does that come from? Because it's not biblical.

I posted this awhile ago.
80% of the inmates in Angola prison are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole. Angola prison had been averaging 40 murders a year when the new warden stepped in. His first actions were to have everyone treated as if they were created in the image of God. All people should be treated with that dignity. No swearing by prisoners or guards was allowed. People who died in prison would get wooden coffins, not the cardboard that had been used.

The next step was to create Christian seminaries in the prison to teach people how God has reached out to them so that He may always be with them. Through private funding a Christian college and several chapels were built. Inmates are free to attend as they wish.

Today there are a number of prisoners who are now ordained Pastors. Most inmates now attend the college or services. Even Muslims attend. And Angola has gone from 40 murders a year to not one since 1996.

The Power of Christ Jesus
Red%20Herring_zpse7ecewox.jpg
It doesn't trouble me at all. No where I'm my OP, nor in the link, nor in the study did I, nor did the Professor, suggest that religion does not promote morality, or ethics; only that theistic religion is not necessary to develop ethics, nor morality.
Strawman.
Actually, Theists claim it all the time. The general accusation is that atheists are, by nature, hedonists, incapable of considering any moral, or ethical decision beyond the i9mmediate moment. The whole reason I posted the OP is that it is gratifying to finally have demonstrable data indicating that this is simply not so.
You found a blog that supports your crazy claim?

Your barrage of strawmen shows how insecure you are.

Strawman.

Not necessary. But, how about let's see you post it, just for the record. Post for us that atheists, are just as capable as ethical, moral decisions, and choices as Christians.

I didn't think so.
Bible is not the only historical record of the time.

Strawman.

Not necessary. But, how about let's see you post it, just for the record. Post for us that atheists, are just as capable as ethical, moral decisions, and choices as Christians.
And no one in their right mind would claim it is just as easy for an atheist to be moral as a religious person.

I didn't think so.
Uh...yes it is; it's just not on your Athiest site because it makes the genocide of Amalek look humane.
Now Google Amalek and Exodus...
HINT, it happens after the Splitting of the Red Sea.
You'll find it if you want to; I'm betting you don't want to.

In fact, if you knew the Biblical verses that explain why the nations of Canaan had to be expelled or exterminated, you might discover how humane God is.
But you don't want to know.

I didn't think so.
Cz has zero knowledge of the Bible except for what he gets from his anti-God sites.

I didn't think so.
Uh...yes it is; it's just not on your Athiest site because it makes the genocide of Amalek look humane.

In fact, if you knew the Biblical verses that explain why the nations of Canaan had to be expelled or exterminated, you might discover how humane God is.
Oh. I'm sorry. He came out, and fought against invaders:

17:8 Then came Amalek, and fought with Israel in Rephidim.
17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.
17:10 So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
17:11 And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.
17:12 But Moses hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
17:13 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
17:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.
17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:
17:16 For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.

So, to recap. The God of the Torah, sent the Israelites into the land of the Canaans, and instead of coming as wanderers, and friends, they came as invaders. Then when the inhabitants of that land - specifically Amalek - dares to defend his home, the God of the Israelites declares not only genocide, but declares a generational blood feud with his entire race.

Yeah, I can see why Amalek is so hated...

I didn't think so.
Cz has zero knowledge of the Bible except for what he gets from his anti-God sites.
So you think. I have forgotten more of the bible than you will ever know.

I didn't think so.

17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.
17:10 So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
17:11 And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.
17:12 But Moses hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
17:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.
17:16 For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.

So, to recap. The God of the Torah, sent the Israelites into the land of the Canaans, and instead of coming as wanderers, and friends, they came as invaders. Then when the inhabitants of that land - specifically Amalek - dares to defend his home, the God of the Israelites declares not only genocide, but declares a generational blood feud with his entire race.

We can now surmise 2 things...
[1] You know sh!t about Scripture until someone like myself embarrasses you to use a non-anti-God site.
[2] You know sh!t about Scripture because Amalek did not live in Rephidim.

Next questions so you can embarrass yourself even more...
Who was Amalek and why did he and his nation travel across a desert far away from their borders to attack the Children of Israel?

I didn't think so.
So you think. I have forgotten more of the bible than you will ever know.
You mean like the last 35 years I spent learning Tanach in Hebrew?
You know squat as you have amply demonstrated repeatedly.

Well, well. It looks like religion really isn't necessary to raise ethical children. According to an article for the LA Times, Vern L Bengtson, a professor at USC who has been doing a generational longitudinal study of families, has added secular families to his studies in recent years, when he discovered that non-religious demographics were growing. His findings are quite enlightening:

Many non-religious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious’ parents in our study. The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterised by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose.

...non-religious family life is replete with its own sustaining moral values and enriching ethical precepts. Chief among those: rational problem solving, personal autonomy, independence of thought, avoidance of corporal punishment, a spirit of ‘questioning everything’ and, far above all, empathy.

For secular people, morality is predicated on one simple principle: empathetic reciprocity, widely known as the Golden Rule. Treating other people as you would like to be treated. It is an ancient, universal ethical imperative. And it requires no supernatural beliefs.

The results of such secular child-rearing are encouraging. Studies have found that secular teenagers are far less likely to care what the ‘cool kids’ think, or express a need to fit in with them, than their religious peers. When these teens mature into ‘godless’ adults, they exhibit less racism than their religious counterparts, according to a 2010 Duke University study. Many psychological studies show that secular grownups tend to be less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.

So, it seems that we finally have actual data to dispel the myth that religion is necessary in order to instill ethical moral decision-making skills.

Persactly. Empathy is all that is required.

Actually, my youngest son was talking about this just the other day. Ranking the family in morality we agreed to the following.

At the top--Myself, hyper-empathetic and yes, that is a real term. Not religious so much as spiritual, Wiccan if anything.

Next--the youngest and his middle brother, raving atheists.

Then, the oldest. Agnostic.

Bringing up the rear, the wife. God bless her. We all love her. She is a "Christian, a Baptist, a "good one". But she is NPD. She has no empathy.

We can now surmise 2 things...
[1] You know sh!t about Scripture until someone like myself embarrasses you to use a non-anti-God site.
[2] You know sh!t about Scripture because Amalek did not live in Rephidim.

Next questions so you can embarrass yourself even more...
Who was Amalek and why did he and his nation travel across a desert far away from their borders to attack the Children of Israel?
How about you humiliate me, and demonstrate, from scripture, where these answers are found?
You're doing a mighty fine job of humiliating yourself by defending the Amaleks.

Fact remains most of the prison population in America is made up of secularists. OP is wrong.

Wrong. If it is in Texas, most of the prison population is Baptist.

LMAO.

Prison Incarceration and Religious Preference
Most people come to Christ when in prison, dufus.
Topic is at the time the crime was committed.
I know all about jail house conversions. Honestly, any religion so easily accepted is also easily cast away. It is that reality that makes the claim that Christianity is any moral compass laughable.

Forum List

Back