Senate Democrats now the Legislative Terrorists

Hoffstra

Rookie
Aug 20, 2013
Government shutdown backfires? GOP says Democrats now guilty of extortion

for weeks, the GOP was using the threat of a govt. shutdown and default to try to kill ObamaCare, suspend the Individual Mandate, etc etc.

This was Legislative Terrorism, as it threatened to do GREAT harm to the USA if their goals weren't met. They refused to allow a clean CR and a clean debt ceiling rise.

Now it looks like the Senate Democrats are playing the same game.

It appears that the Senate GOP has offered a clean CR and clean debt ceiling rise for a given length of time, no string attached. But the Senate Democratd aren't accepting it!!!

Now they, want conditions. They don't want a clean CR and debt ceiling rise anymore. Now they want it to include cuts in the Sequester.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am right, the Senate Democrats have become the terrorists, and I'm furious!!!

• Banned
hmmm....I heard that the Senate GOP plan also only included a debt ceiling rise for 6 weeks.

that's crap. The markets need more than 6 weeks of breathing room.

we can't keep on having a damn financial crisis every 6 weeks!!!

as to the Sequester stuff, Im still looking into that.

A clean CR, means a clean CR. And if the Senate Democrats have changed their minds about a clean CR, and are now wanting their own conditions, well now they're just hypocrites.

for weeks, the GOP was using the threat of a govt. shutdown and default to try to kill ObamaCare, suspend the Individual Mandate, etc etc.

This was Legislative Terrorism, as it threatened to do GREAT harm to the USA if their goals weren't met. They refused to allow a clean CR and a clean debt ceiling rise.

It appears that the Senate GOP has offered a clean CR and clean debt ceiling rise for a given length of time, no string attached. But the Senate Democratd aren't accepting it!!!

Now they, want conditions. They don't want a clean CR and debt ceiling rise anymore. Now they want it to include cuts in the Sequester.

If I am right, the Senate Democrats have become the terrorists, and I'm furious!!!

The Collins plan wasn't a clean CR or debt ceiling raise, it included a 2 year delay of the medical device tax.

The house has no proposal on the floor, or coming to the floor...as of now.

The Collins plan wasn't a clean CR or debt ceiling raise, it included a 2 year delay of the medical device tax.

Exactly. The GOP wanted to reopen the Govt. and raise the debt ceiling which should be automatic and part of their jobs, in exchange for a repeal of the medical device tax which would take some funding away from the ACA.

Why would the Democrats go along with that?

This link may help you: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...at-impasse-over-government-shutdown-now-what/

Last edited:
  • Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/14/us/politics/budget-and-debt-limit-debate.html?_r=0

The Collins plan would maintain sequestration-level spending through Jan. 15, when formal budget negotiators would be required to complete a House-Senate agreement on spending and taxation over the next decade. That date was already a concession. Ms. Collins, along with Senators Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, both Republicans, initially wanted to finance the government for six months at those levels. The initial proposal by Ms. Collins would also have extended the debt ceiling only to Nov. 15, but at the request of Senate Democratic leaders, she and Mr. McConnell pushed it back to Jan. 31.

Mr. McConnell formally endorsed the Collins proposal on Sunday

yup, my fears have been realized.

The Senate GOP offered a debt ceiling rise to January 31st, which is almost 16 weeks.

But the Senate Democrats have now become hypocrites, no longer want a clean CR, and instead want the Sequestration pulled back as a condition for a deal.

If no deal is reached by Thursday without the Senate Dems pulling back this demand, and we default, I am officially leaving the Democratic Party and will register as an Independent.

• Banned

can u show me an article proving this about the medical tax?

also, I thought the medical device tax wasn't popular with anyone.

5 years without a budget and NOW you're realizing the Democrats are domestic terrorists?

Better late than never

Hoffstra, Imo you're correct, at least in subsance. Obama initially only wanted a CR at sequstration levels, but the Dem senate is now seeking more spending.

ok, yes, the GOP wanted to suspend the medical device tax for two years. But they first demanded its total repeal.

so it looks like now the GOP and the Senate Democrats are refusing to stand by a clean CR.

Im still very pissed at the Democrats, as a clean CR was all they were talking about for the last 2 months.

can u show me an article proving this about the medical tax?

also, I thought the medical device tax wasn't popular with anyone.

It's generally not favored...but it seems that certain people are still against repeal (delay?). It doesn't look like Collins proposal will go through either, so we're dead in the water.

(I honestly can't tell if it's repeal or delay in Collin's bill...different sources are telling me different things.

a clean CR means a clean CR.

I can't believe the Senate Dems have now flipped, and no longer want a clean CR.

Unbelievable. If they don't change their minds soon, there will be a big (I) by my name.

If so, the Dems are playing political terrorism as well.

Well, the medical device tax wasn't popular even with some dems, so the notion was it could be the bone thrown to the House to say "here, ya got something, so reopen the damn govt."

But trying to undue sequestration is really getting something that should be part of the overall negotiation that should take place after they kick this down the road. However, I just don't see that anything the dems can do will prevent Cruz and Lee and the TPM from trying to end obamacare again over closing the govt or a default, and the gop leadership seems to scared to put them in the corner.

Just printed out my voter registration form to change my party affiliation, if SHTF.

Forum List

Back