Senate Report Concludes the Benghazi Attacks Were Preventable

That's a complete and unmitigated lie.

Repeating the lie makes you a liar.

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan.

Clinton Passed on Killing bin Laden?

Sudan never made that offer.

Period.

Critics of the Clinton administration have accused it of ignoring the threat posed by Mr. bin Laden in the mid-1990's while he was still in Sudan, and they point to claims by some Sudanese officials that they offered to turn him over to the Americans before ultimately expelling him in 1996 under international pressure. But Clinton administration diplomats have adamantly denied that they received such an offer, and the Sept. 11 commission concluded in one of its staff reports that it had "not found any reliable evidence to support the Sudanese claim."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/international/asia/17osama.html?_r=0

On the other hand, Lawrence Wright, in his Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Looming Tower," flatly states that Sudan did make such an offer. Wright bases his judgment on an interview with Erwa and notes that those who most prominently deny Erwa’s claims were not in fact present for the meeting.

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan.

Sudan never made that offer.

Period.

Critics of the Clinton administration have accused it of ignoring the threat posed by Mr. bin Laden in the mid-1990's while he was still in Sudan, and they point to claims by some Sudanese officials that they offered to turn him over to the Americans before ultimately expelling him in 1996 under international pressure. But Clinton administration diplomats have adamantly denied that they received such an offer, and the Sept. 11 commission concluded in one of its staff reports that it had "not found any reliable evidence to support the Sudanese claim."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/international/asia/17osama.html?_r=0
Clinton:*So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan.

from Feb 2002 speech made by Clinton

will dems hold obama accountable?

The Washington Post's Adam Goldman and Anne Gearan got an early look at the report, and they've pulled out some of the more important findings. First, that the CIA knew about deteriorating security conditions around the Benghazi compound for weeks before the attack. Second, that the State Department didn't increase security at the compound, despite warnings about increased danger. And third, that American intelligence groups failed to share crucial information in the lead-up to the attacks, including the existence of a secret CIA annex near the compound. The Intelligence Committee also details the FBI's difficulties in investigating the attacks in Libya. For instance, 15 Libyan sources have been killed after offering their cooperation in the investigation.

Will Issa be held responsible for that since he leaked that information to the press?

John Kerry: Darrell Issa's Release Of Raw Libya Cables 'Irresponsible And Inexcusable'

Issa isn't in the Senate dipshit.

Sure he did.

You stop lying.

Additionally almost every speech about Iraq had the words "9/11" in them.

The Bush administration linked the war in Iraq to the 9/11 attacks over and over again.

That's because 9/11 caused Iraq. Not because anyone was claiming Iraq caused 9/11

Cheney was claiming that Iraqi agents met with Al Qaeda agents in Prague.

And the Bush administration directly linked Al Qaeda to Iraq. In fact they kept claiming to be killing Al Qaeda in Iraq as the war was ongoing.

Most Americans were under the impression that Iraq was behind 9/11. And that was a deliberate strategy by the Bush administration to keep that mindset going.

The PNAC, by the way, which urged an attack on Iraq, had said it would take a Pearl Harbor like event to encourage the invasion.

The same PNAC people which populated the Bush administration.

They found the event.

Iraq was attacked.

Mission Accomplished.

Funny...
Cause I seem to recall how most Americans were well aware that it was Osama Bin Laden that was responsible for 9-11...

And I also recall most Americans being aware that the Taliban in Afghanistan were offering a safe haven for training and planning for Al- Quaeda..

Thus why we entered A-Stan.

I do, however, recall the intelligence agencies of most countries determining that Hussein of Iraq was not in compliance with the treaty signed by George Bush Sr.

And after numerous warnings...including one stating exactly when and where we will hit, we entered Iraq.

You have a warped memory my friend.

So Osama Bin Laden wasn't responsible?

Iraq wasn't responsible.

No one said Iraq was. The argument was that because of 9/11 we have to change how we look at the world. Especially those regimes that seek WMDs and encourage terrorism.

The left has always lied about us claiming Iraq was responsible for 9/11 when there was nothing like that ever claimed.

Are you insane? Are you honestly willing to argument that no effort whatsoever was made by the Bush administration to associate Saddam Hussein with the perpetrators of 9/11??

Iraq wasn't responsible.

No one said Iraq was. The argument was that because of 9/11 we have to change how we look at the world. Especially those regimes that seek WMDs and encourage terrorism.

The left has always lied about us claiming Iraq was responsible for 9/11 when there was nothing like that ever claimed.

Are you insane? Are you honestly willing to argument that no effort whatsoever was made by the Bush administration to associate Saddam Hussein with the perpetrators of 9/11??

link up or shut up

Sudan offered OBL to Clinton before 9/11, he was CIC, he did not need congress to authorize him to take OBL, but he didn't and 9/11 happened.

spin all you like, that is what happened.

Your link asserts that

1. Bin Laden at that point had committed no crimes against the US.

2. Sudan did not offer Clinton Bin Laden.

were those the points you were trying to make?

The 9-11 Commission also deem the attacks that day in 2001 were preventable. Who was held accountable then?

more dem deflection...

no its a fair point. You want people to hod Obama accountable, well why should they when Bush wasnt for 9-11?

Well, in theory W was. We now have homeland security and the Patriot Act, for better or worse. We have metadata.

I think accoutability would be having better security for ambassadors. We're always going to have spy people killed.

will dems hold obama accountable?

So hold Obama accountable for this but not Bush on 9-11 and the famous memo? hmmmmmmm

and i dont mean you personally Yurt.

Personally, I think finding out if it were preventable is a waste of time.

But there was valid reason to wonder what was going on...

1) We had an entire administration blaming the attack on an American exercising his right to free speech (albeit, irresponsibly) when, in fact, we had evidence it had nothing to do with an American. When the POTUS blames an American for inciting an attack on an consulate, it is pretty serious stuff and better be true.

2) We still don't know how the President knew how long the attack would last

3) we still don't know WHY the ambassadors request for extra security were not brought up to the SoS and congress.

Last edited:

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime againsjt America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan.

Your link asserts that

1. Bin Laden at that point had committed no crimes against the US.

2. Sudan did not offer Clinton Bin Laden.

were those the points you were trying to make?
Selectiive comprehension on your part and still deflecting from the senate findings as usual.

no one tried to cover up 911

nobody covered this up either. OMG you are like a truther
...no wait thats not shocking

eeeeeeeuuuuummmmm, I think Obama tried to tempoarily kick the can down the road so as to not upset the election. October surprise and all that.

it does not take a rocket scientist to know the following:

Admitting it was a terrorist attack would conflict with his campaign slogan of "al queda on the run"

Having the military enter a sovereign nation for a military action would not be in the best interest of his "new international approach" campaign

Admitting day one that it was a terrorist attack would make him look apathetic if he went to a fund raiser in Vegas.

Only a partisan would not see why there were so many contradictions.

This was a cover up for election purposes.

The 9-11 Commission also deem the attacks that day in 2001 were preventable. Who was held accountable then?

no one tried to cover up 911

nobody covered this up either. OMG you are like a truther
...no wait thats not shocking

Oh so the President and administration officials didn't spend a month blaming Benghazi on a video rather than terrorists?

This hasn't even been two years and you guys are trying to rewrite it.

Forum List

Back